Harrellson 1, UMSL 0

Pistol

The write-up in today's paper was primarily about Harrellson's dominance. I linked the box score, too- he did it all in 16 minutes. I guess this also serves as a scouting report for UMSL.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl...009/uk1103.html

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2008110...0397/1078/COL02

Harrellson grabs opportunity

Forward proves to himself he can play

By Brett Dawson

The (Louisville) Courier-Journal

LEXINGTON - It's not that Josh Harrellson needs a daily affirmation.

The University of Kentucky's new power forward knows he can play, knows he can contribute the way he did in the Wildcats' 111-53 exhibition win against Missouri-St. Louis Monday night at Rupp Arena.

But sometimes, UK coach Billy Gillispie said, Harrellson needs to be reminded just how good he can be.

"(Gillispie) sees something in me - well, a lot of people see something in me - that I don't see," Harrellson said after a 21-point, 12-rebound performance. "They see the twinkle in my eye, and they're trying to bring it out of me. I just thought I was a big body, just a mediocre player. They think I can be something special."

Monday night, the crowd at Rupp Arena - announced as 20,731 - seemed to agree.

Blue-clad fans roared their approval during a first-half stretch in which Harrellson sank two long two-point jumpers and a 3-pointer, helping key the Cats to a 63-23 halftime lead.

"I think he is starting to understand how good he can be," Gillispie said. "I don't know if he's ever really approached that, as far as thinking, 'I can be really good.' I think he can, because he's got long arms and he's a very, very good athlete. He has great hands. He has great feet. His footwork is very good. And as we're learning, he can shoot the ball and has a real ability to score."

In that, he wasn't alone. Jodie Meeks led UK with 29 points, and Patrick Patterson added 24. The Cats hit 100 points with 6 minutes, 29 seconds to play and led by as many as 64 points.

But Harrellson's performance and UK's easy win were about more than points.

Led by Harrellson's double-double, UK hammered the Tritons 58-23 on the boards and limited them to 31.1 percent shooting, numbers you'd expect against an NCAA Division II foe but that nonetheless might offer insight into the identity Gillispie hopes his team will take on.

"I think our defense and rebounding is going to be really, really, really outstanding," Gillispie said. "I think our depth is going to be outstanding. I'm really pleased with where we are. I'm never satisfied, but I'm pleased."

UK used 16 players last night, and nine scored. Freshman Darius Miller scored 14 points, and Ramon Harris added 12.

Though Gillispie proclaimed his team's defense "not good enough," he was happy to see his team sometimes put the clamps on Missouri-St. Louis, which committed 18 turnovers and shot 3-for-20 from three-point range.

While Gillispie and Harrellson were happy afterward, Patterson bordered on ecstatic.

He said Harrellson's performance was consistent with how he's played in practice. And a helping hand from the 6-foot-10, 265-pound Harrellson - a sophomore transfer from Southwestern Illinois College - could mean a lighter load for UK's main man in the middle.

"You feel that you don't have to go after every ball," Patterson said. "You've got teammates who can go up and get the rebound, rather than yourself."

Harrellson got plenty of them Monday night, grabbing seven rebounds during a first half in which the Cats had a 28-10 rebounding advantage.

Harrellson scored inside, sticking back a missed Miller free throw. He scored outside, nailing a three with 5 minutes, 21 seconds to play in the first half that put the Cats up 43-15 and sent the crowd into a frenzy.

"He can put up points on the scoreboard, and that's something that we desperately need," Patterson said. "We need another scorer inside."

NOTE: Sophomore forward A.J. Stewart did not dress for the Cats, due to what Gillispie called a "minor discipline situation." UK is off today, but Stewart will return to practice Wednesday, Gillispie said.

Guest BillikenReport

Wow. I wasn't aware of the package deal at Kentucky:

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl...ell_mark00.html

This kid is one of Josh's closest friends. There was a rumor when Harrellson committed to Western Illinois that one of the reasons was because Western either offered Halsell a scholarship or at least a place on the team as a preferred walk-on.

I guess SLU would have extended the same type of deal, but I'm not aware of it.

This kid is one of Josh's closest friends. There was a rumor when Harrellson committed to Western Illinois that one of the reasons was because Western either offered Halsell a scholarship or at least a place on the team as a preferred walk-on.

wow, what a deal - it is not what you know, it is who you know

this kid's dad is a high school ref, i think one of the better ones

Guest BillikenReport

wow, what a deal - it is not what you know, it is who you know

this kid's dad is a high school ref, i think one of the better ones

Yes. That is correct.

From what I've heard, the kid is a very good student as well. He was going to go to Western with Josh and instead followed Josh to Southwestern Illinois College and now Kentucky.

Yes. That is correct.

From what I've heard, the kid is a very good student as well. He was going to go to Western with Josh and instead followed Josh to Southwestern Illinois College and now Kentucky.

Any idea why UK keeps a 20-man roster? Is it just to have that many practice players? It still seems a little unwieldy to me. I wonder how many of them travel for each road game.

"(Gillispie) sees something in me - well, a lot of people see something in me - that I don't see," Harrellson said after a 21-point, 12-rebound performance. "They see the twinkle in my eye, and they're trying to bring it out of me. I just thought I was a big body, just a mediocre player. They think I can be something special."

Douchebag

He's a walk-on at UK right. Who knows, maybe we offered the same thing but being a walk-on at UK is alot cheaper then being a walk-on at SLU.

Guest BillikenReport

He's a walk-on at UK right. Who knows, maybe we offered the same thing but being a walk-on at UK is alot cheaper then being a walk-on at SLU.

That could be. Like I said, I don't know.

I doubt it would have made any difference in Harrellson's decision.

couldnt we have offered him at least a one year schollie I mean we offered one to lisch

Guys, relax, UMSL's players can't be expected to be very competitive against UK. Now if Troy Slaten had guarded Harrellson, he'd have probably held him in the negatives.

Guys, relax, UMSL's players can't be expected to be very competitive against UK. Now if Troy Slaten had guarded Harrellson, he'd have probably held him in the negatives.

Believe Justin Johson and Bryce Husak also had some really good minutes against UMSL and we know how that ended.

Looking forward to the next 4 years to received updates on JH - the next, dare I say, Blake Ahearn. ;)

Then, again, at least this thread gave me what I thought I'd would never read - a scouting report on UMSL. You got to be kidding?? :)

Believe Justin Johson and Bryce Husak also had some really good minutes against UMSL and we know how that ended.

Looking forward to the next 4 years to received updates on JH - the next, dare I say, Blake Ahearn. :)

I also remember how Vas'shun Newbourne was the dominate factor in a scrimmage. Boy (wipes egg off face), that was a doozy!

I don't think the situation with Ahearn is a fair comparison to the one with Harrellson, because SLU's coach didn't offer Ahearn a scholarship, but SLU's current coach did offer Harrellson.

I also remember how Vas'shun Newbourne was the dominate factor in a scrimmage. Boy (wipes egg off face), that was a doozy!

I don't think the situation with Ahearn is a fair comparison to the one with Harrellson, because SLU's coach didn't offer Ahearn a scholarship, but SLU's current coach did offer Harrellson.

We need to completely forget about Harellson and get on with our team. He conned us into believing that he wanted to come to SLU and his ego was way beyond a Billiken uniform. Most in the program are delighted he is not here even though he might have helped us this year. Chemistry is a big thing for a team and he would have ruined the chemistry with his ego and attitude.

Guest BillikenReport

The same coach that didn't offer Ahearn a scholarship also chose not to offer Harrellson a scholarship.

That's one of the reasons he's a former coach.

We need to completely forget about Harellson and get on with our team. He conned us into believing that he wanted to come to SLU and his ego was way beyond a Billiken uniform. Most in the program are delighted he is not here even though he might have helped us this year. Chemistry is a big thing for a team and he would have ruined the chemistry with his ego and attitude.

great post.