Harrelson per Catspause.com

davidlee

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that's a secondary recruiting violation if true.

Funny you should say that. This is posted at the top of the Kentucky Rivals board. looks like its been there since last July. Apparently, UK fans don't read very well.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid...888&style=2

The University of Kentucky Athletics Association is currently reporting a violation to the NCAA based on impermissible contact with recruits by boosters of the UK program. This violation occurred when several boosters posted on the myspace.com pages of potential UK recruits. These posts encouraged (often in very inappropriate ways) the recruit to choose UK.

Also, someone who refers to himself on myspace.com as ruppcathederal, posted a myspace blog titled “A Must Read if You Are a UK Fan”. This blog, posted on June 7, 2006, instructed all UK fans to post on four different prospects’ myspace pages and tell them why they should come to UK. It would seem reasonable that this blog may account for the greater number of UK posts when compared with other schools.

The University of Kentucky Athletics Department has been very proactive in attempting to limit our exposure to violations and other problems from these interactive personal websites. Mitch Barnhart gathered our current student-athletes together over eight months ago to caution them about the content of their sites if they chose to have one. Our level of awareness of this issue has helped us identify this problem and report it in a timely manner with the NCAA.

We have also reached out to our fans on the message boards on several occasions with rules education efforts including a compliance link on several of the boards to NCAA regulations governing booster activity. The message boards offer a unique opportunity for our fans to discuss UK Athletics within a very large community. However, when it goes beyond discussion between fans and crosses the line into recruiting, we are responsible to the NCAA membership to report a violation and take steps to stop the activity.

In recent years, UK has also had to disassociate the owner of a message board from the athletics department for his participation in recruiting activities and his efforts to organize a recruiting network within the members of his board. We would much prefer to educate our fans, as we are doing, and work cooperatively to make sure violations do not occur.

In that vein, please be aware that NO written, telephonic or in-person communication is permitted between a recruit and a booster of an NCAA institution regardless of the medium. Please note the following paragraph describing the NCAA rule governing this type of contact and clarifying that anyone who encourages a recruit to attend UK is automatically considered a booster.

The NCAA rules which govern the actions that have been deemed impermissible in this instance are: NCAA Bylaw 13.01.4 prohibits a booster from “making in-person, on- or off-campus recruiting contacts, or written or telephonic communications with a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or legal guardians.” Many claim that they are not a booster because they do not contribute financially to the University. However, NCAA Bylaw 13.02.13 states that one criteria defining someone as a booster is anyone “who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to be assisting in the recruitment of prospects.”

While we realize that this violation is a result of the actions of a few members of our fan base, we are forced to issue the required cease and desist order as publicly as possible because none of those involved have chosen to identify themselves or take responsibility for their actions.

As a result of this impermissible activity, we are asking that all supporters of the UK program immediately cease and desist any in-person, written or telephonic communication with prospective recruits. This includes but is not limited to contact by: phone, letter, IM, text messaging, posting on message boards, posting on personal web-sites or any other means of communication.

Listed below are the myspace.com names of those who have posted on recruits’ sites of whom we are aware. If you know who any of these people are, please contact them and call their attention to the cease and desist order posted above or contact me at [email protected] and UK will be happy to contact them directly. Many of those listed below use a different name on the message boards but, hopefully, someone may still be aware of their identity.

ruppcathederal

Duane

U to the K

Dre1977

Kentucky

Dynasty Defenders

Go Big Blue!

Candy

17TK17

Boatright

Airball

‘GBB’

timmy

Dennis

Miss Lynda

The game

If other names become known to us as we investigate further, we will update this list.

As always, the University of Kentucky Athletics Department greatly appreciates the efforts of all members of our fan base who assist us in remaining compliant with NCAA, SEC and UK rules and regulations.

I think it comes down to does Josh want to be a part-time player at Kentucky (not my opinion - that is what the Cat fans say on their message board) or a full-time player at SLU.

Only Josh can answer that question.

For such a storied program the fans sure are very unsure of their program if they are so obsessive about JH and SLU's recruiting of him. If I were them I would be rather nonchalant about the whole thing - it would make them look so much better to the recruit and others.

Jimbo, with those guns that guy can wear anything he wants and no one's gonna' laugh at him.

That's what I'm saying, that dude RULES. He can go into job interviews, funerals, lesbian support groups, anything and just get RESPECK (snap), at least until he leaves the room. Man, that's awesome.

Hey JH, something to think about before you select UK, if that is what you are thinking of doing.

I will use a football analogy. Check out all the 4 and 5 star recruits who select USC every year. Over the last 4 or 5 years, they must have recruited about 100 of these guys. We all here about the 8 or 10 guys who get selected by the pros, but we don't hear about all those top level recruits who rode the pine or who transferred out to go someplace else to get playing time. There are so many top level recruits that go there every year that many good players never get a chance to prove themselves. Then there is the QB (Flacco)who went to Delaware, a division 1-AA school. He got drafted in the 1st round by Baltimore. He was originally recruited by Pitt but transferred out because he wanted to play. What would have happened to him had he stayed at Pitt?

What I'm saying is don't be blinded by tradition or glitz. Sit down and put the positives and negatives down on a peice of paper. In a calm and reasoned way, list your priorities and see which school satisfies want you want out of your college basketball experience. If its glitz and tradition, UK may be your school. If its a higher probability of playing, and of playing before your family and home town folks, and for a coach who has a reputation of putting big guys in the pros, SLU may be your school. I remember this one RB from Arkansas last year who chose USC over my undergard school on letter of intent day. He got all caught up in the glitz of USC. So he chose them. Later that week he reflected on the situation and realized he chose USC for the wrong reasons, he went back to my alma mater and asked them if they would take him if he could get a release from USC. Well to make a long story short he wound up staying at USC. This highly rated 4 star RB recently transferred out of USC. I'm not sure where he is at regarding his career.

Just something to think about if you read this board

Hey JH, something to think about before you select UK, if that is what you are thinking of doing.

I will use a football analogy. Check out all the 4 and 5 star recruits who select USC every year. Over the last 4 or 5 years, they must have recruited about 100 of these guys. We all here about the 8 or 10 guys who get selected by the pros, but we don't hear about all those top level recruits who rode the pine or who transferred out to go someplace else to get playing time. There are so many top level recruits that go there every year that many good players never get a chance to prove themselves. Then there is the QB (Flacco)who went to Delaware, a division 1-AA school. He got drafted in the 1st round by Baltimore. He was originally recruited by Pitt but transferred out because he wanted to play. What would have happened to him had he stayed at Pitt?

What I'm saying is don't be blinded by tradition or glitz. Sit down and put the positives and negatives down on a peice of paper. In a calm and reasoned way, list your priorities and see which school satisfies want you want out of your college basketball experience. If its glitz and tradition, UK may be your school. If its a higher probability of playing, and of playing before your family and home town folks, and for a coach who has a reputation of putting big guys in the pros, SLU may be your school. I remember this one RB from Arkansas last year who chose USC over my undergard school on letter of intent day. He got all caught up in the glitz of USC. So he chose them. Later that week he reflected on the situation and realized he chose USC for the wrong reasons, he went back to my alma mater and asked them if they would take him if he could get a release from USC. Well to make a long story short he wound up staying at USC. This highly rated 4 star RB recently transferred out of USC. I'm not sure where he is at regarding his career.

Just something to think about if you read this board

If you are talking about Broderick Green, he redshirted last season, has four years of eligibilty left, he will get his chance to prove he can play at USC, it is all about competition there. In Green's case other schools recruit against USC saying you'll never play there, however they have gone to three straight Rose Bowls and 6 straight BCS bowls. Emanuel Moody left USC because he got passed on the depth chart by better players, so he left for Florida only to be buried on their depth chart because the Florida coach sold him the brooklyn bridge. USC doesn't promise playing time, they guarantee excellent competition on a daily basis, the opportunity to compete against the best and the chance at National Championship every year. Trying to compare USC's recruiting in football is like apples and oranges to UK's recruitment of Josh.

In Josh's case UK has the better tradition, better conference, BUT SLU has the better school, coach, facilities, and dare I say UK is a program in decline..??..

If you are talking about Broderick Green, he redshirted last season, has four years of eligibilty left, he will get his chance to prove he can play at USC, it is all about competition there. In Green's case other schools recruit against USC saying you'll never play there, however they have gone to three straight Rose Bowls and 6 straight BCS bowls. Emanuel Moody left USC because he got passed on the depth chart by better players, so he left for Florida only to be buried on their depth chart because the Florida coach sold him the brooklyn bridge. USC doesn't promise playing time, they guarantee excellent competition on a daily basis, the opportunity to compete against the best and the chance at National Championship every year. Trying to compare USC's recruiting in football is like apples and oranges to UK's recruitment of Josh.

In Josh's case UK has the better tradition, better conference, BUT SLU has the better school, coach, facilities, and dare I say UK is a program in decline..??..

Clearly there is a difference in every situation, but I disagree that no comparisons can be made. BTW, how did you know I was talking about Broderick Green? I was under the impression he left USC.

Clearly there is a difference in every situation, but I disagree that no comparisons can be made. BTW, how did you know I was talking about Broderick Green? I was under the impression he left USC.

Life long Trojan fan, no Broderick is still there - 5th on the post spring tailback depth chart. He will get his chance, but he has to earn it.

I wouldn't say they're in decline. But they are having troubles living up to their very high expectations and tradition. Let's just hope JH doesn't want to help them as much as he wants to help us meet ours. One good sign he didn't jump immediately after his visit here to UK. My guess is he's trying to decide where he will be more comfortable. Yes, KY will embrace him like a saviour and shower him in roses at first, but what if they land Majok too.

I wouldn't say they're in decline. But they are having troubles living up to their very high expectations and tradition. Let's just hope JH doesn't want to help them as much as he wants to help us meet ours. One good sign he didn't jump immediately after his visit here to UK. My guess is he's trying to decide where he will be more comfortable. Yes, KY will embrace him like a saviour and shower him in roses at first, but what if they land Majok too.

Majok committed to UCONN. I feel like that could be the last straw

Read on their board Majok to UConn

Moy, I'm not hearing the best things right now.

Josh needs to sign with SLU! He could be a really good player in the A10. I think he would only be average in the SEC. He would have an extremely hard time defending the more athletic bigs at that level. I think his game would be best in a slow, half court style of play. He would be making a big mistake signing with Kentucky! He is a good player, but not SEC material.

Read on their board Majok to UConn

There will always be some other Majok though at UK. next year they will try and likely succeed at bringing in a couple 4/5 star big-men. RM may try to do the same the next couple years but will likely have less success. That has to play into his decision making process.

There will always be some other Majok though at UK. next year they will try and likely succeed at bringing in a couple 4/5 star big-men. RM may try to do the same the next couple years but will likely have less success. That has to play into his decision making process.

Good point. Furthermore, SLU already has its 4s and 5s for JHs Jr and Sr year with BT, WR, and BC. The probability of getting recruited over are significantly less at SLU than at UK. I'm not saying that circumstances can't change, but JH knows what's at play at SLU. I don't know what UK has on board and how many 4s and 5s they will need in the next 3 years, but it can't be any more favorable for him than what he has at SLU. Moreover, JH has less room for error than kids coming out of HS. He has already essentially lost one year. If a UK decision turns out to be a mistake, his options are limited. The riskier choice is UK.

Good point. Furthermore, SLU already has its 4s and 5s for JHs Jr and Sr year with BT, WR, and BC. The probability of getting recruited over are significantly less at SLU than at UK. I'm not saying that circumstances can't change, but JH knows what's at play at SLU. I don't know what UK has on board and how many 4s and 5s they will need in the next 3 years, but it can't be any more favorable for him than what he has at SLU. Moreover, JH has less room for error than kids coming out of HS. He has already essentially lost one year. If a UK decision turns out to be a mistake, his options are limited. The riskier choice is UK.

It comes down to who and where do you want to play? Of course your gonna say SLU because the blue blood runs through your vaines but what if your were impartial? RM style can be perceived as very tough and not all kids want to go through that. I know SIU went through that this year and lost some kids because of it. BG style is much different he's much more of a players coach. Rm has had players go to next level so that is very attractive but how much of that had to do with him or recruting top notch players? At the end of the day JH has to do whats best for himself and some of you would say "Well we didn't want him anyway". There is no riskier choice in SLU or UK only the right choice for JH.

What makes everyone assume JH won't be a star at UK? How many of us have seen him play in the last year? To assume that SLU should be the choice because he won't play as much at UK is an unfair knock on JH. If you assume he will start and star at both programs ... SLU still has plenty of things to offer to make Josh decide SLU's the place.

Starring at your hometown school in front of family and friends is something that can't and shouldn't be overlooked. When you add RM's success at putting bigs in the NBA and SLU's superior academic standing ... we have alot to offer. I doubt JH is assuming he will be a role player at UK, with playing time equal, SLU is still a hell of a good choice for him to make. It's been what 15 years since Claggett and less since Ryan Robertson. I'll bet more people in Stl know who Clags is than they do Ryan. Star at SLU and you are a hometown hero for life ...

It comes down to who and where do you want to play? Of course your gonna say SLU because the blue blood runs through your vaines but what if your were impartial? RM style can be perceived as very tough and not all kids want to go through that. I know SIU went through that this year and lost some kids because of it. BG style is much different he's much more of a players coach. Rm has had players go to next level so that is very attractive but how much of that had to do with him or recruting top notch players? At the end of the day JH has to do whats best for himself and some of you would say "Well we didn't want him anyway". There is no riskier choice in SLU or UK only the right choice for JH.

I tried to frame my post from JH's perspective. He's going to make his choice from what he believes to be in his best interest, not mine.