Harrelson per Catspause.com

davidlee

I wonder which way the people at swic are pushing him? For some reason I dont get the feeling they are in our corner. I hope it has changed since Stremler, but I doubt it has.

I get the impression its no longer their decision to make. Its Josh and his families decision.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing this process shows is how the power of the UK fanbases can influence a decision. He's apparently gotten at least 4 calls today from UK versions of Nate and listening to that interview its obvious they are mini recruiters for UK. the guy went out of his way to compliment RM but it was still obvious. Its hard to see how an impressionable kid could be swayed by it...

Good point kshoe, definitely noticed that.

Can't say that was a particularly positive interview from a Billiken standpoint but he certainly didn't say he's going to UK so we'll just have to wait.

One thing this process shows is how the power of the UK fanbases can influence a decision. He's apparently gotten at least 4 calls today from UK versions of Nate and listening to that interview its obvious they are mini recruiters for UK. the guy went out of his way to compliment RM but it was still obvious. Its hard to see how an impressionable kid could be swayed by it...

he received 640 letters today from uk according to his facebook

I wonder which way the people at swic are pushing him? For some reason I dont get the feeling they are in our corner. I hope it has changed since Stremler, but I doubt it has.

If SWIC wants to sell itself to recruits would they rather say we sent a kid to SLU this year or Kentucky? I think they'll always push for the biggest name.

Can't say that was a particularly positive interview from a Billiken standpoint but he certainly didn't say he's going to UK so we'll just have to wait.

Don't worry we've got the same number of guys if not more doing the same thing.. Just no publicity..

Wow how right is that. It is like having extra recruiters out there.

Going on these shows and talking with these guys can't be easy for Josh.

Based on the slant of the interview and the pressure the UK guy was giving him, I certainly don't think it's a done deal by any means. In saying that he's leaning toward UK, I think it kind of gets the interviewer off his back. I'm sure if he had said he was leaning towards SLU the guy would have jumped all over him.

If there is one thing I've learned from reading various Scout stories written by reporters from other schools, players generally give answers that the prospective fan bases want to hear. When Michigan was still recruiting Cassity, it certainly sounded as if he wanted to go to UM and was leaning that way. When you read Nate's page, it went the other direction.

Guest BillikenReport

If there is one thing I've learned from reading various Scout stories written by reporters from other schools, players generally give answers that the prospective fan bases want to hear. When Michigan was still recruiting Cassity, it certainly sounded as if he wanted to go to UM and was leaning that way. When you read Nate's page, it went the other direction.

When I talk to prospects, I generally just say I'm from Scout.com. I'm not trying to slant their answers in any way.

Now of course when I'm calling somebody in Minnesota or Oregon or Virginia or Ohio, they can see the call is from the 314 area code.

But I want to try to get honest answers from kids about the schools that are looking at them, not just for them to tell me how much they like SLU. Obviously I ask about SLU and other schools, but I'm not trying to recruit these kids — I'm trying to report on who is recruiting them.

- Nate

When I talk to prospects, I generally just say I'm from Scout.com. I'm not trying to slant their answers in any way.

Now of course when I'm calling somebody in Minnesota or Oregon or Virginia or Ohio, they can see the call is from the 314 area code.

But I want to try to get honest answers from kids about the schools that are looking at them, not just for them to tell me how much they like SLU. Obviously I ask about SLU and other schools, but I'm not trying to recruit these kids — I'm trying to report on who is recruiting them.

- Nate

nate, if you can recruit josh for slu that would be good!!!! :P

i am gussing some of these folks calling recruits are not legit??

Perhaps not, and I didn't intend to insinuate that you do. However, I think your articles generally give far greater detail to SLU's recruitment of the player than the other school's because that's naturally what subscribers want to read about. You may have asked a recruit a question about the other school going after him, but the quote you ultimately end up using is about SLU. This suggests to the reader that the player really likes SLU, even though he may like the other school even more. It's just that comment was left out.

By the way, I admittedly have no clue who the guy that interviewed Harrellson was, but his questions were loaded and he was pushing Josh for an immediate answer. I give Josh credit for side-stepping the question and telling him what he wanted to hear without making a final decision. Smart kid. Maybe he does belong in "small classrooms."

Guest BillikenReport

i am gussing some of these folks calling recruits are not legit??

Most newspaper people, Scout.com people and Rivals.com people are good.

But then you've got a lot of other websites and blogs out there trying to "cover" recruiting and talk to these kids. That's a little different.

SShoe,

I try my best to provide all sides of the story, but of course I'll write more about SLU because that's what subscribers to my site want to read about. I'm trying to think of good examples of this. If you go back and look at what I wrote about Bobby Capobianco you'll see this. With some kids you know right away SLU's chances aren't very good (Capobianco and Scott Wood are good examples) and other kids you can tell are more interested in SLU.

- Nate

A good way to look at it is: should I do what is best me or should I go ahead stay past my curfew because it seems like a good idea because the guys are giving me a hard time and its gonna be fun, but when I get home too late my parents ground me and I wind up missing out on the real fun because I got grounded and have to do yard work. Then 10 years later when you missed that great opportunity you realize that the 10 minutes of fun with the guys was an absolute waste of time because you missed that great opportunity that doesn't come along to often.

Academics - SLU

Facilites - SLU

Conference - UK

Coaching - SLU

Tradition - UK

Reading Comprehension - SLU

Ability to speak the English Language - SLU

Proximity to World's Largest Brewer of Beer - SLU

Proximity to World's Larget Pile of Horse Sh!t - UK

Worst grass in the history of golf, Blue Grass, THANK KENTUCKY, I HATE BLUE GRASS.

Josh, GO TO SLU, Great Education, Great Coach, Help Build A Program!

FIGHT ON!

just a couple of things to think about the bluegrass state

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are quite alot of high class people that are UK supporters. Horse breeding and racing is an expensive sport. It is a beautiful part of the country.

However, the interviewer referenced in this thread did say "Fordian slip" which I thought was pretty damn funny.

Josh's mom wants him to go to SLU. She birthed him, fed him, clothed him. Hopefully, he'll just throw her a bone and go to SLU and let her come cheer him on. That's all she wants is that too much to ask?