Ben Hansbrough a "Free Agent"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN reporting that Ben Hansbrough is transferring from Mississippi State. Think there is any interest at SLU?

On the surface, he would seem a great guy to go after. NCAA exp, a starter. I saw him play in the tourney and he's got a motor like his brother. But the experience factor alone would be a nice transition for SLU given TL and KL's departure after the '09 season.

On the surface, he would seem a great guy to go after. NCAA exp, a starter. I saw him play in the tourney and he's got a motor like his brother. But the experience factor alone would be a nice transition for SLU given TL and KL's departure after the '09 season.

He has some nice stats that would definitely help transition the young guards. This is the article from the MSU Official Athletic Site >

Bulldog Guard Ben Hansbrough Opts To Transfer From Mississippi State

Print PRINT | Send this article to a friend E-MAIL | Subscribe to E-news E-NEWS | Shop SHOP | News Feeds (RSS) RSS

Ben Hansbrough started 28 games this past season.

View larger Ben Hansbrough started 28 games this past season.

STARKVILLE, Miss. – Mississippi State University head men’s basketball coach Rick Stansbury announced Monday that Bulldog sophomore guard Ben Hansbrough has decided to transfer following his spring semester at MSU.

“Ben is a good kid and we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors,” Stansbury said.

A 6-foot-3, 205-pound guard from Poplar Bluff, Mo., Hansbrough was MState’s fourth-leading scorer this past season at 10.5 points per contest. Having started 28 games for Stansbury’s 23-11 NCAA Tournament squad in 2007-08, Hansbrough tied for the team lead with 62 made three-point field goals in shooting 36 percent from beyond the three-point arc. Along with leading the SEC West champion Bulldogs in free throw percentage (.789) this past year, Hansbrough ranked as the club’s third-leading playmaker with 77 assists (2.6 apg) while also averaging 3.8 rebounds an outing.

He has some nice stats that would definitely help transition the young guards. This is the article from the MSU Official Athletic Site >

Bulldog Guard Ben Hansbrough Opts To Transfer From Mississippi State

Print PRINT | Send this article to a friend E-MAIL | Subscribe to E-news E-NEWS | Shop SHOP | News Feeds (RSS) RSS

Ben Hansbrough started 28 games this past season.

View larger Ben Hansbrough started 28 games this past season.

STARKVILLE, Miss. – Mississippi State University head men’s basketball coach Rick Stansbury announced Monday that Bulldog sophomore guard Ben Hansbrough has decided to transfer following his spring semester at MSU.

“Ben is a good kid and we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors,” Stansbury said.

A 6-foot-3, 205-pound guard from Poplar Bluff, Mo., Hansbrough was MState’s fourth-leading scorer this past season at 10.5 points per contest. Having started 28 games for Stansbury’s 23-11 NCAA Tournament squad in 2007-08, Hansbrough tied for the team lead with 62 made three-point field goals in shooting 36 percent from beyond the three-point arc. Along with leading the SEC West champion Bulldogs in free throw percentage (.789) this past year, Hansbrough ranked as the club’s third-leading playmaker with 77 assists (2.6 apg) while also averaging 3.8 rebounds an outing.

I watched the Missouri State Finals game (his Junior year and Tyler's Senior year) and thought he was a really good player. Never understood why SLU had little interest in him. Maybe he had little interest in SLU? Don't know. Unlike Josh H (debated at length), Brad did not appear to recruit him or offer him (correct me if I'm wrong) but another good Div 1 did. If Brad did not think he was good, then this would be a true "miss" opposed to the Josh H. situation where only WIU offered him.

ESPN reporting that Ben Hansbrough is transferring from Mississippi State. Think there is any interest at SLU?

via his bio page at mstateathletics.com:

His uncle, Sean "The Beast" Fister, is a three-time RE/MAX World Long Drive Golf Champion.

That's all I needed to know, and I can't say this doesn't remind me of these two lovebirds...

Posted Image

I had always heard that SLU was interested, but couldn't tell you if that was true.

I liked him enough to thinnk that the UNC's of the world recruiting his brother would've/should've/might've offered Ben as well simply to seal the deal with Tyler....Ben could play a role on any team in my opinion.

Majerus wants guys who love "ball"....and basketball is very important to them.

Ben fits this to a tee.

Plus, the aforementioned loss of experienced G's in KL/TL. Go get him.

i saw this on the siu board.

Kyle Veasey, who covers MSU for the Clarion Ledger, sayd he talked by phone with Ben and he said the reason he is leaving is because "I don't think I can be the best layer I can be" at MSU. Why? He says it is a lack of practice facilities. Seriously. he says it was not playing time and it was not any friction with the coach. He has no idea where he will go next but they must have quality practice facilities. I found Veasey's blog by googling "mississippi state basketball fan forum"

it might be time for ben to check out the slu practice facilities.

Kyle Veasey, who covers MSU for the Clarion Ledger, sayd he talked by phone with Ben and he said the reason he is leaving is because "I don't think I can be the best layer I can be" at MSU. Why? He says it is a lack of practice facilities. Seriously. he says it was not playing time and it was not any friction with the coach. He has no idea where he will go next but they must have quality practice facilities. I found Veasey's blog by googling "mississippi state basketball fan forum"

I heard he is considering SIU or Missouri State.

I recall some thread that said Ben wasn't intereted in us and said don't bother. He was intent on going away as I recall. I could be off on that but that's what seems to stick out.

So, I wonder what the REAL reason is. Since when do "practice facilities" make you the best you can be? It takes hard work and dedication, buddy. Personally, I don't want the kid. He told us he wasn't interested and wanted to go more big time. We have a hell of a class coming in. No need for this kid.

So, I wonder what the REAL reason is. Since when do "practice facilities" make you the best you can be? It takes hard work and dedication, buddy. Personally, I don't want the kid. He told us he wasn't interested and wanted to go more big time. We have a hell of a class coming in. No need for this kid.

Are you crazy? Why in the world would we not want this kid? Who cares if he wasn't interested then? Things change. We had Sodie and West Pine then. Now we have RM and a sparkling new facility. I think he'd be a great addition. He strikes me as a RM type of player. Harrelson and Hansbrough!!!

My thoughts exactly. If the kids last name wasn't Hansbrough, we probably wouldn't even be talking about him. And, as I've been saying for weeks, WE NEED SIZE!!!

Sure, we don't need a kid who averaged 10 ppg in the SEC as a sophomore :o

We need Harrelson the most for next year, but the year after that, getting an experienced guard to step in and replace TL and KL would be nice too.

Sure, we don't need a kid who averaged 10 ppg in the SEC as a sophomore :o

We need Harrelson the most for next year, but the year after that, getting an experienced guard to step in and replace TL and KL would be nice too.

Have we all gone crazy here? A starter on an NCAA team that avg 10ppg. Stepping in right after KL and TL depart? We'd be remiss if we didn't call him. Now if his plan is to go to UCLA or IU or KY, which it may be, I'm not getting my hopes up. But a phone call ain't gonna' hurt. All he can say is no.

The Hansbrough boys were brought up with access to state of the art workout facilities in their own home. So maybe Ben isn't just feeding the press a line.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...6F?OpenDocument

But most of all, go into the house on the cul-de-sac with the basketball court taking up most of the backyard. It's here that the legend really lives. Gene Hansbrough takes you down the stairs to the most unconventional "finished" basement you'll ever see. It's a fully equipped exercise torture chamber, complete with rubber-padded floors, sophisticated free weight contraptions and all sorts of plyometric devices stacked in orderly piles.

Have we all gone crazy here? A starter on an NCAA team that avg 10ppg. Stepping in right after KL and TL depart? We'd be remiss if we didn't call him. Now if his plan is to go to UCLA or IU or KY, which it may be, I'm not getting my hopes up. But a phone call ain't gonna' hurt. All he can say is no.

This isn't the only board were people seem to think the same way. The same thing is being posted on the SIUC board and the people on tigerboard who aren't bitching about KU winning are saying similar things. It is hard to believe.

You find a place for a starting guard from an NCAA team who only improved throughout his sophmore year. I would take him in a second.

The Hansbrough boys were brought up with access to state of the art workout facilities in their own home. So maybe Ben isn't just feeding the press a line.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...6F?OpenDocument

But most of all, go into the house on the cul-de-sac with the basketball court taking up most of the backyard. It's here that the legend really lives. Gene Hansbrough takes you down the stairs to the most unconventional "finished" basement you'll ever see. It's a fully equipped exercise torture chamber, complete with rubber-padded floors, sophisticated free weight contraptions and all sorts of plyometric devices stacked in orderly piles.

From that article, Gene sounds like a pretty good guy, hactually.

Apparently I have. First of all, I feel we've already run off enough players. If we are going to run off another one, i think it needs to be a big guy.

I don't think Ben's that great. I've seen him play several times and I don't think he is a must get 8th member of a recruiting class.

Why did he leave Ole Miss? I just don't buy the practice facilities excuse. Perhaps it's the truth, but it doesn't seem kosher to me. And if it is true, I have no desire to have a kid here that feels he needs to be completely pampered in order to succeed. Last I checked, Ole Miss is an SEC football program, so the weight facilities are top of the line. They have basketballs and a basketball court. What else does one need to "reach his potential"? Sure, a jacuzzi for 7'er's is pretty neat, but hardly a necessity to succeed.

He let everybody know in high school that he wanted nothing to do with the small time Billikens...at least that is how it was reported from several sources. That rubs me the wrong way. Plain and simple. If others are fine with that, then good for you. But if you're gonna blow me off when we really need you, I'm not going to welcome you with open arms two years later when you need us.

We have severa guards coming in after TL and KL graduate. How many of those are shooting guards? Do we really need another one?

Bottom line is that I just don't want the kid. But, last I checked, what I want has no affect on Rick.