Classless Strickland names names

bauman

Today on 1380, the rumor monger Andy Strickland, in his typical classless manner said, DM, AK, AM & MR were "shown the door." Nice way to phrase a difficult situation for 19-20 year old kids, 3 of whom could be considered local.

This guy is nothing but a BM-hanger-on who has no business on the air and adds nothing with his "Buzz" segment. Maybe we will be lucky and one day he will be able to announce his own dismissal from the airwaves.

He made some feeble effort to say he thought RM would help place them. It seems likely, that if this is true that RM has 2 more players to sign, otherwise he will have two of the dreaded Brad S. saved scholarships. This means that next year we will only have 4 players returning from this years team, KL, TL, BE & PE.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today on 1380, the rumor monger Andy Strickland, in his typical classless manner said, DM, AK, AM & MR were "shown the door." Nice way to phrase a difficult situation for 19-20 year old kids, 3 of whom could be considered local.

This guy is nothing but a BM-hanger-on who has no business on the air and adds nothing with his "Buzz" segment. Maybe we will be lucky and one day he will be able to announce his own dismissal from the airwaves.

He made some feeble effort to say he thought RM would help place them. It seems likely, that if this is true that RM has 2 more players to sign, otherwise he will have two of the dreaded Brad S. saved scholarships. This means that next year we will only have 4 players returning from this years team, KL, TL, BE & PE.

Not all four of them are leaving.

BM-hanger-on

You mean dingleberry?

Most of the time member of media = classless. That is what they do, get the story by any means necessary and try to be the first to get it out.

I wonder if some of our signees won't qualify or if some of them will probably red-shirt. This is very unbalanced so far. Pretty soon there won't be anymore "I didn't choose them and they didn't choose me" talk this turnover in players is happening quick.

You mean dingleberry?

Most of the time member of media = classless. That is what they do, get the story by any means necessary and try to be the first to get it out.

I wonder if some of our signees won't qualify or if some of them will probably red-shirt. This is very unbalanced so far. Pretty soon there won't be anymore "I didn't choose them and they didn't choose me" talk this turnover in players is happening quick.

How do you nicely say, RM has shown a player the door?

MR, AK, & DM are done for sure. Probably no official anouncement until after the banquet. Anthony is having or has just had knee surgery and is out for 2 months. Sounds like RM will let him stay as finding a school will be tough until the knee is healed.

What surprises me is that no one has mentioned that Coach Thorpe will also not be back (RM's decision). He was kept for the transition and knew it was more than likely a 1 year deal.

This will now be the norm with RM here. Every year players will be shown the door if RM can sign someone he thinks will be better. Winning will be number 1, taking care of the young men (players) is number 2.

MR, AK, & DM are done for sure. Probably no official anouncement until after the banquet. Anthony is having or has just had knee surgery and is out for 2 months. Sounds like RM will let him stay as finding a school will be tough until the knee is healed.

What surprises me is that no one has mentioned that Coach Thorpe will also not be back (RM's decision). He was kept for the transition and knew it was more than likely a 1 year deal.

This will now be the norm with RM here. Every year players will be shown the door if RM can sign someone he thinks will be better. Winning will be number 1, taking care of the young men (players) is number 2.

When was it announced that AT was leaving?

I figured that would be the case. You could just tell Angres was the odd man out. Whether it was when Rick was talking about his assistants (he would put Harrington before Thorpe) or his role on the bench, you could tell it wasn't a great match. I assume this means Jensen will be promoted.

nasty stuff. thus far being big time has not been fun at all. i am having trouble understanding why we cant have it both ways. nasty almost embarrassing imo.

nasty stuff. thus far being big time has not been fun at all. i am having trouble understanding why we cant have it both ways. nasty almost embarrassing imo.

What is nasty? Players transferring? Happened before, even under Brad. Asst. coaches getting let go? You may want to talk to Anthony Beane about how he was let go a couple of years ago.

Are you saying that based on the AT stuff? If so, that's a bit ridiculous. AT is an adult and trying to work in one of the most difficult industries out there. If his boss doesn't think he will get the job done, then these are the consequences. Frankly, given the major recruiting problems Soderberg had, I think it is fairly obvious that Angres may not be the best assistant out there.

It's my understanding that there is not going to be a banquet. It seems RM doesn't like them.

Sorry to see AT go. Sodie should take the Western Illinois job. He could make a career out of accepting Majerus castoffs. Not a bad haul right off the bat--his son, AK, MR, and DM. Is DM eligible immediately due to the red shirt last year or does he also have to sit out? To cement the deal, Sodie releases Harrellson for us ... only fair given Sodie refused to offer the kid a scholarship at SLU.

Are you saying that based on the AT stuff? If so, that's a bit ridiculous. AT is an adult and trying to work in one of the most difficult industries out there. If his boss doesn't think he will get the job done, then these are the consequences. Frankly, given the major recruiting problems Soderberg had, I think it is fairly obvious that Angres may not be the best assistant out there.

I think with AT it was more of an issue of personality fit than getting the job done. AT is a great assistant coach and there will be plenty of programs that would be ecstatic to have him. He'll find a good fit somewhere and do a great job, there's no doubt in my mind. He also should get a crack at a head coaching job somewhere down the line.

What is nasty? Players transferring? Happened before, even under Brad. Asst. coaches getting let go? You may want to talk to Anthony Beane about how he was let go a couple of years ago.

Thank you Brian. Its amazing how loyal Billiken fans fail to realize that all this stuff has gone on before at SLU. Players have been told to leave (Donnie Atkins, Harden, Cranford, etc.) because they couldn't play, players have been forced to leave because of grades (Edwin, Halliburton, Pulley, etc.) and other issues (Caswell, etc.). Sometimes the line is blurred (did OBI and Dixon leave on their own accord or were they forced out, nobody really knows). People shouldn't forget that Brad was quoted as saying he thought we should drop John Seyfert until he played better at the end of the season then he wanted to keep him. With Brad's save a scholarship policy he never had to worry about dropping a kid because it was never an issue but lets not act like this exact same thing wouldn't have happened if Brad didn't have better options than Justin Johnson.

As for assistant coaches, Anthony Beane says it all.

It's my understanding that there is not going to be a banquet. It seems RM doesn't like them.

who is "them"?

i was looking forward to a banquet

seems a bit unfair to the seniors

i guess you don't announce that you are not going to have a banquet?

i hope rick takes care of the seniors in one way or another (legally) if there is no banquet

are we sure there is no banquet?

who is "them"?

i was looking forward to a banquet

seems a bit unfair to the seniors

i guess you don't announce that you are not going to have a banquet?

i hope rick takes care of the seniors in one way or another (legally) if there is no banquet

are we sure there is no banquet?

WHO THE HECK CARES!

I don't care if we have no banquets, golf outings, coaches shows, or hobnob with the coach and players events. Rick could say NOTHING for the rest of his time here, though I do like hearing what he has to say. Win.

If the departing players are treated unfairly, shame on Rick. I know we would all like to believe that Rick is busting his hind end to help them land at a program where they can excell. If he isn't. shame on him. Win.

I don't care if Rick is rude, crude, harsh, pig headed, and even wrong once in awhile. That is nearly the definition of a coach in my experience...... Win.

Win. Not at all costs and not outside of human decency but win.

I think with AT it was more of an issue of personality fit than getting the job done. AT is a great assistant coach and there will be plenty of programs that would be ecstatic to have him. He'll find a good fit somewhere and do a great job, there's no doubt in my mind. He also should get a crack at a head coaching job somewhere down the line.

Also Thorpe got to send a year with one of the greatest minds in basketball history. Even if last year was an unpaid internship, AT would be ahead........

Broy, I am honestly amazed at your thinking on this subject. Nasty? What is nastier? Keeping 4 kids on the bench for their entire careers who will never give the rest of the team the competition they need to improve? Who gets shafted there? If KL and TL are going up against DM in practice then have to face guys like Roberts and Lavender in real games how does that help them? Or Cassity comes in and knows AM or MR is never really going to challenge him for playing time. Is that going to make him try harder to improve his game? You want to get better at anything, you play against the best you can find. This tends to upgrade your skills. I think it's pretty obvious what RM is trying to get done here. Look at the recuitment of Coto and KM. Why did he go after Coto when he already had Mr. Wisconsin bb signed? Hell, if UB had signed one of them we would have been dancing in the street naked. Now we got two...depth and competition for playing time is the answer. That ain't nasty, that's a frigging dream come true. I know you want this program to succeed. You, maybe more than any of us, bleed Billiken blue. But please accept the fact the previous coach recruited kids no one else seemed to want. He did it out of necessity, ie he needed bodies. Now we have a coach that can bring in kids that others were going after. But you'd rather see him stick with someone else's left overs? I don't think you can seriously say you'd rather have DM, AM, AK, or MR than any of RM's 7 recruits. Other than the fact than if any of these alleged cast offs had always dreamed of someday earning a degree from SLU, I can't see where this is nasty business. And I don't think that's the case with any of them. AK was all set to go to Mizzery. I can't recall any of the other 3 saying "hey, I grew up wanting to be a Billiken and get that vaunted SLU degree." As for AT, get a grip . He's an adult. As most working adults know, being let go, for whatever the reason, may occur at any time and is a harsh reality of life. Sorry, Broy, you ain't in Soderbergland anymore. The game has changed. Enjoy the ride and have some fun.

Amen. RM is an absolute physical, social, political, and sartorial embarassment. Let's hope his professional resume doesn't follow this horrifying path.

Amen. RM is an absolute physical, social, political, and sartorial embarassment. Let's hope his professional resume doesn't follow this horrifying path.

Sarcastic or not? I can't tell. I sure hope it is.

The resume already speaks for itself and can't be erased. The rest is up to him; he's his own man and makes his own decisions. As long as nothing else interferes with his job, no one should have an issue with his lifestyle choices.

Also Thorpe got to send a year with one of the greatest minds in basketball history. Even if last year was an unpaid internship, AT would be ahead........

Are you kidding or just delirious? I wonder if RM deigned it necessary to speak more than a few sentences to AT all season?

Sarcastic or not? I can't tell. I sure hope it is.

The resume already speaks for itself and can't be erased. The rest is up to him; he's his own man and makes his own decisions. As long as nothing else interferes with his job, no one should have an issue with his lifestyle choices.

I don't think satrap will be inviting RM to any BBQ's or cocktail parties.

I don't blame AT for leaving, Majerus is out of his mind. If a coach makes a mistake in his practices he makes the coaches run suicides, same goes for the team managers. No I could see a team manager, but not another Asst Coach. You do not see Majerus fat ass out there running. He is too busy having his secretary walk on his back.

Broy, I am honestly amazed at your thinking on this subject. Nasty? What is nastier? Keeping 4 kids on the bench for their entire careers who will never give the rest of the team the competition they need to improve? Who gets shafted there? If KL and TL are going up against DM in practice then have to face guys like Roberts and Lavender in real games how does that help them? Or Cassity comes in and knows AM or MR is never really going to challenge him for playing time. Is that going to make him try harder to improve his game? You want to get better at anything, you play against the best you can find. This tends to upgrade your skills. I think it's pretty obvious what RM is trying to get done here. Look at the recuitment of Coto and KM. Why did he go after Coto when he already had Mr. Wisconsin bb signed? Hell, if UB had signed one of them we would have been dancing in the street naked. Now we got two...depth and competition for playing time is the answer. That ain't nasty, that's a frigging dream come true. I know you want this program to succeed. You, maybe more than any of us, bleed Billiken blue. But please accept the fact the previous coach recruited kids no one else seemed to want. He did it out of necessity, ie he needed bodies. Now we have a coach that can bring in kids that others were going after. But you'd rather see him stick with someone else's left overs? I don't think you can seriously say you'd rather have DM, AM, AK, or MR than any of RM's 7 recruits. Other than the fact than if any of these alleged cast offs had always dreamed of someday earning a degree from SLU, I can't see where this is nasty business. And I don't think that's the case with any of them. AK was all set to go to Mizzery. I can't recall any of the other 3 saying "hey, I grew up wanting to be a Billiken and get that vaunted SLU degree." As for AT, get a grip . He's an adult. As most working adults know, being let go, for whatever the reason, may occur at any time and is a harsh reality of life. Sorry, Broy, you ain't in Soderbergland anymore. The game has changed. Enjoy the ride and have some fun.

slu72, you think it was right to use angres to insure they got thompson, john reed, eberhardt to sign and then discard him? that seems ugly to me.

as to running off the players, no need to hash it anymore. i just think slu as a school should honor the previous commitment and gradually inject the new talent as those players graduate. again, if the kids wanted to leave fine. but being forced to leave not. my sources say none wanted to leave.

this isnt about soderberg or his players. soderberg is gone. i couldnt care less. if this continues and he chases off his players i will be just as upset. same if he uses his coaches like he used thorpe just to get a recruit. i just thought as a school we would be better than that. and it disappoints me.

i truly am looking forward to being good down the road. and i feel confident it is going to happen. i just dont like the route that we are taking to get there. i think it is classless and embarrassing.

the fun indeed will come down the road, but it will be at the expense of some innocent human beings and i just dont think that is the way to get to the fun times. if it took another year so be it. we should have been able to do both. succeed and treat these people right.