Quality of this team and this HC

bauman

Hey, I know some of you RM kool-aid drinkers will jump all over me for this post, but I think someone other than TDELL needs to say this. I have started a new thread since we already have many disjointed ones re the K.St. game (if you can even say it was a game).

Reading some of the other comments, I am left to wonder if some of our most frequent posters dislike Brad so much as to imply that he left us with this mess, or if they possibly just don't remember the 2006-07 season at all. Another possibility is that they, like me, thought that RM is the second coming. The only difference is I have fallen off that bandwagon.

In one of the post-game threads at least two well-respected posters talked about this being a average to less than average team (players quality wise). Folks did we forget that all we lost off a 20 win team was an underperforming center. We returned 4 starters off a 20 win team and hired a $1M HC, who said on many occasions, after being hired, that he didn't think he had forgotten how to coach. At this, admittedly, very early point in the RM era, I'm not so sure that the messiah is currently working our sidelines. I know, I know, the players are still learning the system. I also know a couple of other things:

This team looks worse than ANY BS-coached team-I am certain that a BS-coached team would not have been blown out by Kent State; Do any of you think we would have done worse at SWMS last year? Do any of you think we would be worse than, down by 6 or 7 at home against Pacific? For this we are paying a Million $$$. I'm wondering if RM is a better salesman than Brad, not only with recruits, but also with Fr. B.

I am watching an offense that generally mirrors they style that drove me crazy during the BS era---pass the ball around the perimeter for at least 25 seconds, if it is not stolen by that point (and many times it is) then, and only then, think about doing something that might result in a basket. I am still waiting to see screens being set which result in one of our players (other than DP) getting an open shot. How many practice sessions does it take a college HC to teach a grade school skill, screening?;

I am concerned with the constant stream of negative comments coming from RM about our players. Even Rich Grawer, who had a hard time relating to many of his players, kept most of his critical comments private as opposed to public;

Although I understand that an oversized ego comes with the territory when looking at winning coaches, it somehow bothers me that RM (a member of the media for the past 3 years) seems to feel that he is above dealing with the media (and us fans as well). I can assure you that as of today, he has no intention of ever returning to a Billiken Club meeting-it's beneath him. So also, is doing us the favor of discussing the game-good or bad-on the post-game show with Rammer and Earl.;

Does anyone else wonder why this recent media member, shuts out the local media who are assigned to cover the team? It is inconceivable that Rammer, Earl and/or Tom T, all of whom are charged with being knowledgeable of the team, are NOT even allowed in practice. I can understand why he has barred us from Bauman-Eberhardt practices, but not the announcers/beat writers who cover the team. It would serve us right if the P-D gave us even less coverage.

Alright, it is still very early in the RM era, and I, maybe more than most of you, was looking for a significant immediate boast to the program (see my prediction for this year). Maybe I'm being too impatient at this point, but I clearly expected to see some improvements by now, not just next year. I am excited by the quality of the 5 players who recently signed with SLU, but I never expected RM to produce results such as we are seeing now-I know all the light at the end of the tunnel analogies so spare me those. I just believed that a HC of the quality I thought RM was, would not turn a decent group of players who won 20 games last year, into a less than average squad

who would give us the performances we have seen in the last 3 games---SWMS, Pacific and Kent St.

At this point I am falling back on my Missouri roots and saying to RM, SHOW ME (cause I ain't seein it yet).

Hey, I know some of you RM kool-aid drinkers will jump all over me for this post, but I think someone other than TDELL needs to say this. I have started a new thread since we already have many disjointed ones re the K.St. game (if you can even say it was a game).

Reading some of the other comments, I am left to wonder if some of our most frequent posters dislike Brad so much as to imply that he left us with this mess, or if they possibly just don't remember the 2006-07 season at all. Another possibility is that they, like me, thought that RM is the second coming. The only difference is I have fallen off that bandwagon.

In one of the post-game threads at least two well-respected posters talked about this being a average to less than average team (players quality wise). Folks did we forget that all we lost off a 20 win team was an underperforming center. We returned 4 starters off a 20 win team and hired a $1M HC, who said on many occasions, after being hired, that he didn't think he had forgotten how to coach. At this, admittedly, very early point in the RM era, I'm not so sure that the messiah is currently working our sidelines. I know, I know, the players are still learning the system. I also know a couple of other things:

This team looks worse than ANY BS-coached team-I am certain that a BS-coached team would not have been blown out by Kent State; Do any of you think we would have done worse at SWMS last year? Do any of you think we would be worse than, down by 6 or 7 at home against Pacific? For this we are paying a Million $$$. I'm wondering if RM is a better salesman than Brad, not only with recruits, but also with Fr. B.

I am watching an offense that generally mirrors they style that drove me crazy during the BS era---pass the ball around the perimeter for at least 25 seconds, if it is not stolen by that point (and many times it is) then, and only then, think about doing something that might result in a basket. I am still waiting to see screens being set which result in one of our players (other than DP) getting an open shot. How many practice sessions does it take a college HC to teach a grade school skill, screening?;

I am concerned with the constant stream of negative comments coming from RM about our players. Even Rich Grawer, who had a hard time relating to many of his players, kept most of his critical comments private as opposed to public;

Although I understand that an oversized ego comes with the territory when looking at winning coaches, it somehow bothers me that RM (a member of the media for the past 3 years) seems to feel that he is above dealing with the media (and us fans as well). I can assure you that as of today, he has no intention of ever returning to a Billiken Club meeting-it's beneath him. So also, is doing us the favor of discussing the game-good or bad-on the post-game show with Rammer and Earl.;

Does anyone else wonder why this recent media member, shuts out the local media who are assigned to cover the team? It is inconceivable that Rammer, Earl and/or Tom T, all of whom are charged with being knowledgeable of the team, are NOT even allowed in practice. I can understand why he has barred us from Bauman-Eberhardt practices, but not the announcers/beat writers who cover the team. It would serve us right if the P-D gave us even less coverage.

Alright, it is still very early in the RM era, and I, maybe more than most of you, was looking for a significant immediate boast to the program (see my prediction for this year). Maybe I'm being too impatient at this point, but I clearly expected to see some improvements by now, not just next year. I am excited by the quality of the 5 players who recently signed with SLU, but I never expected RM to produce results such as we are seeing now-I know all the light at the end of the tunnel analogies so spare me those. I just believed that a HC of the quality I thought RM was, would not turn a decent group of players who won 20 games last year, into a less than average squad

who would give us the performances we have seen in the last 3 games---SWMS, Pacific and Kent St.

At this point I am falling back on my Missouri roots and saying to RM, SHOW ME (cause I ain't seein it yet).

Sorry, when I tried to edit a few items, it wouldn't let me.

We'll be better at home

We'll be better next year

No worries

Kent State (academically) sucks anyway

Kent read Kent write Kent State

In Majerus I trust, but you make some fair points.

An advantage to the SLU job for Majerus is that he is King and he knows it. He is bigger than our program, and not the other way around. At Kentucky or Indiana, it is the the program that is huge, not the coach....(note, I am not making fat jokes).

Majerus doesn't have to do the media stuff or the donor schmoozing. He calls his shots and no one, maybe not even Biondi can tell him otherwise. So he can act as if he is above the program, because in a way he is.

Our team is transitioning. SLU Basketball will be different under Majerus. I would not be surprised if we have a scuffle or two with NCAA Violations. I would not be surprised if kids are forced off the team. When have either of these happened in the last ten years? Maybe once or twice?

I kept quiet last year, but the Duquense game is what did it for me with Brad. You do not lose that game. The A-10 Tourney was his only hope, but he didn't do it. I was ready for a new coach, and it is all the better it is Majerus in my opinion. I would not be surprised if Liddell, Lisch, and some other players are quite upset that Brad left. He recruited them, and they made a commitment to him not Rick. My sister was upset when coaches changed on her when she was playing a D1 sport. It wasn't really the same for her afterwards.

We are going to struggle this season, but as long as Rick stays around recruiting will be better and coaching will be better. These have to mesh. Right now we have Soderberg recruits and Majerus coaching. Give some time for the kids to learn the system and admitedly get new kids in the system.

the only part of your rant i dont fall in step with bauman is that i am still clinging to the majerus bandwagon. i saw him win at utah. utah. how the hell do you recruit to utah. talk about pitiful travel and circumstances to produce a winning program. he won at ball state. anyone ever been to muncie. i have. whew. but boy you sure bring up all the wtf ?'s i too have been thinking.

one would think a coach of his stature would be able to do more with less than a big ten asst coach did on short notice with the same team. this is not the way to usher in the era. this is not the way to win casual fans to the program immediately. i doubt seriously if anyone was going to say "well majerus only is winning because he has soderberg's players". but i think a lot may end up asking "how did soderberg win with those players?"

it is hard to just throw out the blind trust and assume it is all going to be fine. and i have long stated that new coaches dont have immediate super results without being a cheater or dam lucky. so i guess we just need to wait and see. in the meantime nothing hurt debating it while we wait for the long term investment to pay off.

I'd think at this juncture you have to sit back and judge RM and this team in February. And that may be too harsh because it's not his team. UB put this mess together. So to compare him to UB right now is difficult. We had many games under UB that had us scratching our heads. We've only seen 8 games under RM. Granted, they ain't been pretty and one was down right bu** ugly. Hey, KY lost to Gardner Webb, and am sure there were KY fans scratching their heads over that. You have bad games. Every team does. But how many coaches in the country have had the success RM has? Not many. Now, can he duplicate it here and how long is it going to take are the questions? How many of the big namers could come in here with the talent level we have and make us a post season team? One comes to mind, his inititals: JC and I don't mean John Calipari. It would take a miracle worker to take us to the post season. I'm sure if you were a fly on the wall of players' rooms you'd hear some not so complimentary remarks about RM and how they wish kindly ol' UB was back on the bench. From all that's been written and speculated about RM, he seems much more demanding, much more disciplined, much more exacting than UB. He doesn't appear to be as complimentary, as fatherly, as friendly, as buddy buddy as UB. And he's quick to knock his players. Too me he sounds a little like Bill Parcells. Yeah, he's got an ego as high as the arch, but so do a lot of big time winning hc's. Huggins, Pitino, Calipari, Bellichek, Knight....the list goes on and on. Look at Phil Jackson. Coaching genius, guru, inventor of the Triangle offense or whatever. Hell, Paris Hilton could have coached his teams to championships. Here's the ball Michael and Scotty. Go win the game. Here's the ball Kobe and Shaq. Go win the game. These days Phil doesn't look so much a member of Mensa as he does just average. Players with talent is what's needed. We plain don't have enough of them, and that' s not RM's fault. Yes, maybe we would have covered the spread against KSU if UB were on the bench, but then what? A 17, 18 win year....followed next year by pretty much the same, with everyone crying in their beer over TL and KL graduating. At least now we have some hope for the future. It was unlikely we were ever going to have even that under UB.

I'm closer to Roy and Bauman's thinking than the alternative. One note Roy, i didn't get from bauman's post that he jumped off the RM bandwagon entirely, just the instant results part of it.

I also agree with those that rue the loss of IV. Say what you will about his performance last year, but he was a true center (as opposed to BE) that was consistently double-teamed, which open up the offense for everyone else. Teams game-planned for IV. Has BH or BE been consistently doubled? Are opponents game-planning those two specifically?

I'd take that "underperforming" center back in a heartbeat.

Don't forget, Bauman has always hated Ian so its not surprising that he wouldn't acknowledge how much losing him would hurt. Even beyond Ian's numbers from last years its tough to calculate how many points scored by Tommie, Kevin and Luke were the result of double teams on Ian. Losing Ian is indeed a big deal.

It should be obvious to all, if its not already, that the huge hole on this team is help from the sophomore and freshmen classes. The only frosh that is contributing was deemed not good enough to play by the former coach.

Guest BillikenReport

This is still Brad Soderberg's team. The timing of the firing and hiring came during the spring signing period and SLU hired an ESPN commentator who didn't have any time to recruit more talent than was already coming here. The only player Majerus recruited for this year was Paul Eckerle, who wasn't going to play here otherwise. (This team would be even worse off without Eckerle.)

I got blasted here for talking about Soderberg's recruiting mistakes ... and now those same mistakes are the reason people are frustrated with the new coach losing at Missouri State and Kent State.

This team doesn't have enough talent. That was going to be the case with Soderberg this season, too. If Soderberg had recruited better — and we're talking about evaluating players correctly, pursuing players you can get and then actually getting them — he'd still be the coach.

I know some people understand this, because it's been posted on here before. But a lot of people don't seem to get it.

Next year's team will struggle as well, with at least five freshmen and possibly two or three more new faces. But that team should have a strong core of seniors (Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch and Barry Eberhardt) and will have a lot more depth than this year's group.

The problems this team faces......

1) no one on the team has instinctual knowledge of the offense....able to see plays developing and anticipate it.....I think this will come but.

2) as pleased and surprised by Husak as we have been, his production does not replace even and underperforming Ian.

3) In order for TL and KL to shake free in a motion offense the other players have to be a threat. Polk is not and Husak has been inconsistent.

4) This team athletic talents are actually better suited to the pack defense. That is what they were recruited to play

5) We are undersized...

As much as I hate to think it I think we have reached that game!! I hope I am wrong but I think last night was the game that makes a season ticket holder realize his or her tickets are an investment this year. We have had earlier games......ie lost to tenn martin or mo state at home!! Who knows perhaps the golden flashes are a better team than we think, and I would gladly eat these words come March!

The problems this team faces......

1) no one on the team has instinctual knowledge of the offense....able to see plays developing and anticipate it.....I think this will come but.

2) as pleased and surprised by Husak as we have been, his production does not replace even and underperforming Ian.

3) In order for TL and KL to shake free in a motion offense the other players have to be a threat. Polk is not and Husak has been inconsistent.

4) This team athletic talents are actually better suited to the pack defense. That is what they were recruited to play

5) We are undersized...

As much as I hate to think it I think we have reached that game!! I hope I am wrong but I think last night was the game that makes a season ticket holder realize his or her tickets are an investment this year. We have had earlier games......ie lost to tenn martin or mo state at home!! Who knows perhaps the golden flashes are a better team than we think, and I would gladly eat these words come March!

No team with TL and KL on it should EVER lose by 40+, 3rd offensive threat or not. If this had happened in the 8th game of Brad's tenure when our only double digit scorer was Marque Perry, we'd be demanding his resignation.

I think the majority of posters on this board realize that to be a legitimate winning program year and year out that you need be able to recruit and that was blatantly obvious by all of the posters who wanted Brad gone because he did not get it done on the recruiting trail. You can have the best coach in the game, but if you don't have any talent you can only get so far.

However, I think the reason for a lot of people being upset right now is because this is a team that won 20 games last season and return everyone except Ian. Ian was one of the best centers in our conference, but he was not a team making player and had a disappointing senior season. Many thought with Kevin and Tommie being a year older and Luke, Polk, and Bryce as seniors to go along with Barry that we had a solid core for Majerus to work with and to date it just has not happened. This team has definitely taken a step back.

My frustration mainly stems from what I saw in the one game I went to. I saw nothing different. This has been hammered home by another poster so I will not belabor the point. I just see guys continuing to go thru the motions and that is what upsets me. Tommie and Kevin did not look like their usual selves and that is disconcerting.

I mean look at what is going on in Carbondale. You have a team that has had fairly similar talent as the Billikens the past couple of seasons, but they are a tournament team year in and year out. Lowery has those guys playing like animals and that is what I want to see. You see these guys who have obviously put in the time in the weight room and they play their asses off from the opening tip and have the shown they can compete with any team in the country. That is what I want to see, actually that is what I need to see. I need to see guys play with some desperation.

I think things will get much better with Rick especially with his ability to recruit high level talent, but on the court this season I have seen nothing.

At least we have the guy who invented the game of basketball as our coach. I almost wish we still had Sodie. At least I did not have to hear him on the radio or tv or read his quotes throwing guys under the bus while stroking his ego. Majerus is ruthless when talking about his players who happen to be college students and I think that is pathetic.

History may be repeating itself....

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../071902aaa.html

I think the majority of posters on this board realize that to be a legitimate winning program year and year out that you need be able to recruit and that was blatantly obvious by all of the posters who wanted Brad gone because he did not get it done on the recruiting trail. You can have the best coach in the game, but if you don't have any talent you can only get so far.

However, I think the reason for a lot of people being upset right now is because this is a team that won 20 games last season and return everyone except Ian. Ian was one of the best centers in our conference, but he was not a team making player and had a disappointing senior season. Many thought with Kevin and Tommie being a year older and Luke, Polk, and Bryce as seniors to go along with Barry that we had a solid core for Majerus to work with and to date it just has not happened. This team has definitely taken a step back.

My frustration mainly stems from what I saw in the one game I went to. I saw nothing different. This has been hammered home by another poster so I will not belabor the point. I just see guys continuing to go thru the motions and that is what upsets me. Tommie and Kevin did not look like their usual selves and that is disconcerting.

I mean look at what is going on in Carbondale. You have a team that has had fairly similar talent as the Billikens the past couple of seasons, but they are a tournament team year in and year out. Lowery has those guys playing like animals and that is what I want to see. You see these guys who have obviously put in the time in the weight room and they play their asses off from the opening tip and have the shown they can compete with any team in the country. That is what I want to see, actually that is what I need to see. I need to see guys play with some desperation.

I think things will get much better with Rick especially with his ability to recruit high level talent, but on the court this season I have seen nothing.

At least we have the guy who invented the game of basketball as our coach. I almost wish we still had Sodie. At least I did not have to hear him on the radio or tv or read his quotes throwing guys under the bus while stroking his ego. Majerus is ruthless when talking about his players who happen to be college students and I think that is pathetic.

Just out of curiosity I checked out the record of RM's first Utah team. The guy he replaced was 16-17 and finished 6th in the WAC. Majerus was 16-14 and the Utes finished 6th in the WAC. They lost 5 of their last 7 games. Treading water.

The next year Majerus went 30-4 and finished 1st in the WAC. Something tells me that RM coudn't care less about the record this year 'cause he's got much bigger fish to fry. But for those of us who do care, this season stands to be painful.

Just out of curiosity I checked out the record of RM's first Utah team. The guy he replaced was 16-17 and finished 6th in the WAC. Majerus was 16-14 and the Utes finished 6th in the WAC. They lost 5 of their last 7 games. Treading water.

The next year Majerus went 30-4 and finished 1st in the WAC. Something tells me that RM coudn't care less about the record this year 'cause he's got much bigger fish to fry. But for those of us who do care, this season stands to be painful.

Thanks for posting that, I was trying to locate that myself. I agree this year will def have its ups and downs.

well that is extremely reassuring. any idea what the roster turnover was each year?

I think next year we will be much improved with Tommie and Kevin as seniors to go along with the strong recruits we have coming in, but our success will depend on how quick the freshmen are able to adjust to the college game and to Majerus.

My whole thing is that I wanted to see Majerus come in and really light a fire under these kids asses and them come out every night with passion and desperation and that is what I have not seen.

This is still Brad Soderberg's team. The timing of the firing and hiring came during the spring signing period and SLU hired an ESPN commentator who didn't have any time to recruit more talent than was already coming here. The only player Majerus recruited for this year was Paul Eckerle, who wasn't going to play here otherwise. (This team would be even worse off without Eckerle.)

I got blasted here for talking about Soderberg's recruiting mistakes ... and now those same mistakes are the reason people are frustrated with the new coach losing at Missouri State and Kent State.

This team doesn't have enough talent. That was going to be the case with Soderberg this season, too. If Soderberg had recruited better — and we're talking about evaluating players correctly, pursuing players you can get and then actually getting them — he'd still be the coach.

I know some people understand this, because it's been posted on here before. But a lot of people don't seem to get it.

Next year's team will struggle as well, with at least five freshmen and possibly two or three more new faces. But that team should have a strong core of seniors (Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch and Barry Eberhardt) and will have a lot more depth than this year's group.

Excellent post Nate. I was optimistic about Soderberg when he signed KL and TL in the fall of `04. But that spring signing period, I started to get concerned that he failed to land a good big. All he got was an injured Obi and another open scholarship. Then next year's recruiting, I started getting even more critical when he did a terrible job on recruiting - failing to land just one player who is contributing now. And the final straw for me was last fall, when Soderberg failed to sign ANYBODY. All he was able to do was snag Relphorde and Mitchell in the spring. Sodie deserved to go. He squandered an opportunity to build on KL and TL. A handful of Sodie's apologists would always defend his crappy recruiting when I would criticize it. Well, we are seeing the results of that recruiting now - no point guard, no center, no bench.

No team with TL and KL on it should EVER lose by 40+, 3rd offensive threat or not. If this had happened in the 8th game of Brad's tenure when our only double digit scorer was Marque Perry, we'd be demanding his resignation.

This is exactly what I said. Well, not exactly. I said that it was ludicrous that one or the other of them didn't score at least 10 points. I said that they should be able to play most NBA teams and Lisch or Liddell get into double figures. Just a bad game that came out of ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE and shocked the hell out of all of us. Like a loud girl fart.

slaten just pointed out on his show that kent state had enough points at half time that they could have not scored the rest of the game and still won. that's scary.

I hope, as does most of the posters on this board, that the team's execution will improve as they become more comfortable with the RM system. It looks to me like this team is already exhausted. With 10 games, including the exhibition and Memphis scrimmage, in less than a month, mentally and physically demanding practices and 2 hour walk throughs, these guys have to be gassed.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with RM's substitution patterns, but I think he has beat this team to a pulp. Certainly, the performance at Kent sounded like a team with no energy. We've all seen these kids play, and they are not quitters. If they couldn't get back on defense, it's due to a lack of energy.

The troubling thing is that the LBSU team is very athletic, and will put our team to the test. They played well against Washington and were in the game until the last 6 or 7 minutes. After that, we go to Boston on Tuesday. Our only chance there will be if they overlook us. Which good teams don't do, especially at home.