it just hit me

I guess I haven't been paying attention, but after reading TT's article it looks like 2/3 of the seats in the new building will be behind the basket. I don't care how "close" you are, seats behind the basket always suck. If you want to see a layout of how an arena that size should look, check out Dayton. I guess the last time I realy looked there was still a second tier, which would have made it more like 50/50.

This has been a horrible plan since they screwed up by not including the practice facility. Let's do this the right way even if it takes an extra year.

He must have meant 2,900 per side. A quick calculation from reviewing the seat diagrams and renderings tells you that close to 2/3rds of the seats are on the sides, not behind the baskets.

I also don't understand the complaint about the practice facility/offices. They fixed that issue over two years ago.

Yeah, the practice gym is definitely included, as are the offices. I don't understand how 2/3 are behind the basket. Maybe half, but that's natural and it won't even be close to the ends we deal with at the Scottrade Center.

I was wondering if the 2900 means just the lower bowl, between the end lines. I was shocked that one guy called the increases a "subtle" change. How is that for a euphemism? It is a very dramatic increase, especially for peons like me.

I guess they decided not to listen to me and many others, who pleaded with them to put the students right on the floor, behind the vistors bench. I suppose they will stick them in the end-zone again, like at Savvis. (Scottrade!?)

There is something fishy about this plan, I think. I notice they say all tickets are $25 the first season only. why the only??-- I guess the days of cheap tix at $9 bucks are really over. And since the TV deal still sucks I guess it means lots of us will not be seeing the Bills next year.--unless we commit about a thousand bucks to do it. Last year I think i spent about $100 for my season tix -- that is what you call a "subtle" change (1000% increase).

If anyone would care to sponsor a poor teacher to see quality division I basketball, contact me on pm.

peace,

It's 1/3 behind the baskets (1/6 behind each basket) There are 2900 on EACH side of the court. ACTUALLY, probably about 3/8 (or 3/16 behind each basket) of the seats will be behind the baskets if capacity is 10,600.

I've applied the theorem seen here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continued_fractions#Theorem_3

Not having an upper deck means zero affordable seats anywhere near the middle of the court all the way up. This will probably be ok for now with the Majerus effect. I hope that 8000 of us are not scrambling for the few decent general admission seats nearest the court end lines. I also hope that Majerus doesn't stroke out after a great A10 Ref job and leave us with a bunch of empty high-roller seats........

I knew this was going to suck. I just didn't think it would be this bad.....

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

Apparently it just hit many on this board that what we were wishing for, high profile college hoops, comes with a price. There is no doubt that better seats are worth more - good here. The guys who have supported the program a little for many years or guys stepping up now with big bucks are paying their dues for the best seats - that's the American Way, as far as I'm concerned. One thing that WON'T happen is that executives whose companies have supported the program will be able to ride the companies' coattails. Talk to the Royal Banks people for confirmation of that. It's come down to personal commitment. And those red seats look pretty damn good for the price. ...and a bargain compared to the Rams. BTW, U of I sells out the season before it starts, and it takes much bigger money to get the good seats.

Largely you are just upset that the upper-deck is gone because you don't like corner and end-zone seats.

I personally feel that just about anything is better in the lower bowl than the upper deck, even if the site-line is better in the upperdeck because you are more involved in the crowd.

I bet once you give the lower bowl corners a chance you'll have no problem with it.

perhaps we could break out the violin for you.

Why do so many fans have a sense of entitlement? Everyone bitched for years about Biondi not bucking up to support a top program. Guess what, he has and now the fans are expected to do the same. No one wants to pay more for their seast, but you can't have it both ways.

There are 2 full sections on either side of the court that are completely within the baselines. There are 2 corner sections on each side of the court, but half of the seats in those corner sections are behind the baseline. Just look at the picture on SLU's website. Maybe it isn't 2/3, but it sure looks like more than half.

You're either within the baselines or not.

The "bowl" concept is bad anyway. the only good seats in basketball are between the baselines. Here's a link to Dayton's layout, which is excellent.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/UDArena-Seat.html

U of I has been to the big dance more than 4 times in the past 40 or so years!!!!!! Comparing SLU to the NFL????? Please!!!!!!

I'm pumped about RM, but SLU's problem is that they're acting like they're a high profile program before actually doing anything on the court.

The quote from SLU in TT's article is great...in the past SLU fans have gotten "Cadillac value at Fiat prices." I'm hoping for the best at SLU, but can anyone say with a straight face that SLU has put a "Cadillac" product on the court with any regularity since the early '60s?

Roy's "true" boosters comment is great too. If it weren't for many of these fans, SLU would have gone to D2 or dropped basketball altogether in the '70s.

All of that said, I'm not against paying premiums for the best seats. I understand the way it has to work. What sucks is the poor layout of the arena and the fact that they screwed up the plans and had to cut seating capacity by so much.

The one-tier bowl is a bad idea.

but can anyone say with a

>straight face that SLU has put a "Cadillac" product on the

>court with any regularity since the early '60s?

>

Actually, last year was a Cadillac product. They looked good on paper and in pictures, but when you got into it, they were really just a Chevy with leather.

Footsie, have you ever been to a single-tier, basketball-only facility? The views and atmosphere are really great. Don't knock this facility until you have a chance to see it complete. I suspect that you will really like it.

The best atmosphere I have seen in person is at Georgia Tech: http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/genrel/051902aab.html

The angles and sitelines at the Chaifetz look much better, but GT was a great facility for a college game. Everyone was close to the floor.

By contrast, Cincy has a multi-tier facility and the views and atmosphere up high are terrible.

I've been to several games at the Cintas Center - sitting in the upper deck at an arena that size is pretty decent, but IMO not preferable to the single-tier layout.

I also visited UD Arena last month and I can assure you that it is NOT the model we want to emulate in any way.

>Footsie, have you ever been to a single-tier,

>basketball-only facility? The views and atmosphere are

>really great. Don't knock this facility until you have a

>chance to see it complete. I suspect that you will really

>like it.

>

>The best atmosphere I have seen in person is at Georgia

>Tech: http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/genrel/051902aab.html

>

>The angles and sitelines at the Chaifetz look much better,

>but GT was a great facility for a college game. Everyone

>was close to the floor.

>

>By contrast, Cincy has a multi-tier facility and the views

>and atmosphere up high are terrible.

Good call on Tech. I've been to a few games at Alexander and it is great. It only seats about 9,500 and even the seats behind the basket are good.

i believe you have hit the nail squarely on the head with your post here

-i posted months ago about the prices at mosu, never thought i would see sections here for 3500 per ticket, but the 400 seems entirely reasonable and to me in my situation, what i hope and get my group to commit to buying

-i hope i don't need to worry about empty seats near te court

Perhaps you will be able buck up for some decent seats. Sorry chuckles but $2400 for a family of four (worse seats than now) seems excessive. $1800 is more doable but still kind of a pisser for the ends.

According to the Post Disgrace the sections are dependant on demand. If I weren't a Billiken Fan, I'd hope for a few stumbles on the court this year and a bout of angina.

PS I don't feel entitled to anything, by the same token the University is not entitled to my support.