Glossary of Tools - C/O '14

thetorch

Different classes, so I don't think this is true. I would've loved to have both.

They definitely could have played together with Jones being a perimeter player and Evans never quite developing that ability. Can you imagine a trio of Jett, Jones, and Evans? Talk about tough.

Who would be a good comparison for Roosevelt Jones?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of guys on that list who could help SLU.

Cory Allen Jr (who is having a huge year at SFU), Roosevelt Jones, Malcolm Hill, Javier Duren, Rayshawn Simmons, Christian Thomas, Dantiel Daniels, Trae Anderson, Dylan Chatman, Cornell Johnston and Jordon Granger are all starting for teams better than SLU is this season.

McCaw is getting starter minutes at UNLV. DJ Johnson would have been a starter at K State if not for injury. Demetrious Floyd is getting significant minutes on a really good Stephen F Austin team. We could find a role for the good outside shooting of Garret Covington. We wanted Cam Biedscheid. Barnett is getting minutes for an outstanding Texas team.

I looked at Granger's bio... it says that he picked Auburn over SLU. Not gonna blame SLU for this one. It's more the kid's loss than SLU's if he turned down an opportunity to play for us. He could have played on two NCAA Tourney teams in his hometown. Instead he chose to play the prior two seasons for a really crappy Auburn squad where he averaged 1.2 as a freshman and 1.3 as a sophomore (wow, and people around here complain about Grandy).

This reminds me of the story RM told where he thought he had local juco recruit Connell Crossland wrapped up. The kid chose TCU because he was attracted by the allure of playing in the Big East (which quickly followed a move to the Big 12). Majerus chuckled that while the kid was playing in a BCS League, he wasn't going to be winning league games with the team he was going to.

Jones would have took the roster spot of Glaze or Manning.

Rosie Jones committed to Butler his junior season of HS, one month after Butler played in the Final Four. Did SLU have a shot? I don't know. I doubt it. At the time, we still hadn't made the Tourney in a decade. As it turned out, it was kinda fun beating Rosie three times in one year - ;) Even though they are in the same class, Grandy signed with SLU in 2011, more than a year after Rosie committed to But.

Hindsight ...

I remember quite a bit of excitement over the signings of Crawford, Lancona, and Agbeko and now that they've all had a year averaging 12 or less minutes a game with plenty of that being mop up time plus a whopping 10 games into their Soph seasons they suck. We're talking guys who have probably 300 - 400 minutes of competitive D1 basketball under their belts. And quit comparing to RM he never had this situation but he did create the one we have now with the unbalanced classes and the Jr and Sr classes.

If people want a real story to cry in their milk about, here's one. About a year and a half ago ago my parents were at some big dinner/reception and Malcom Hill's parents were there too. Hill's parents told my folks that Malcom was originally very interested in SLU and wanted to come there but Majerus didn't recruit him all that hard. Webber recruited him much harder and that's how he ended up committing to Illinois.

Obviously, one can punch holes in that story as Hill committed to Illinois early and had a chance to leave when Webber was fired, but I don't think they would lie about something like that. The truth is somewhere in the middle but I suspect that if we had focused harder on Hill he'd be a Billiken right now.

Willie can corroborate this story.

There are a lot of guys on that list who could help SLU.

Cory Allen Jr (who is having a huge year at SFU), Roosevelt Jones, Malcolm Hill, Javier Duren, Rayshawn Simmons, Christian Thomas, Dantiel Daniels, Trae Anderson, Dylan Chatman, Cornell Johnston and Jordon Granger are all starting for teams better than SLU is this season.

McCaw is getting starter minutes at UNLV. DJ Johnson would have been a starter at K State if not for injury. Demetrious Floyd is getting significant minutes on a really good Stephen F Austin team. We could find a role for the good outside shooting of Garret Covington. We wanted Cam Biedscheid. Barnett is getting minutes for an outstanding Texas team.

You have to remember that a lot of these guys wouldn't make it scholastically at SLU.