My small theory on the situation

I don’t know if some of you all know this but the past 2 years Biondi has been given a lot more power and decision making ability for Slu post Clocktower bs for mostly fundraising. 

Could he have any influence in this decision? 

The board might have thought that post Kwamain sit1 that SLU had one of the greatest 3 years in program history and it shouldn’t suffer as much in a few years. 

Just another thought I haven’t seen unless it was buried 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I don’t know if some of you all know this but the past 2 years Biondi has been given a lot more power and decision making ability for Slu post Clocktower bs for mostly fundraising. 

The board might have thought that post Kwamain sit1 that SLU had one of the greatest 3 years in program history and it shouldn’t suffer as much in a few years. 

He’s more of a figurehead than a decision maker at this stage of the game. It’s the Queen/Prime Minister analogy in the UK. The monarchy is pomp and circumstance while the real work of the empire takes place on 10 Downing Street. 

I believe it is accepted as truth that the players do not come from wealthy families. Where are they going to get the money to pay for the civil law suits against the University? Who thinks the lawyers in this case have been working pro bono? Who thinks they are certain to collect millions out of the possible law suits, or at least enough money that lawyers would be willing to take the case on commission only? The practice of law is a business in case you have not noticed. The lawyers have been collecting fees for months now, and more to come with the appeals. So, the question is, and has to be, how much is likely to go to the lawyers if they agree to take the players' case to court on commission? In other words what are the possible damages that can be claimed? I really have no idea about the level of damages that can be claimed in this case.

3 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

No. Just no. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I believe it is accepted as truth that the players do not come from wealthy families. Where are they going to get the money to pay for the civil law suits against the University? Who thinks the lawyers in this case have been working pro bono? Who thinks they are certain to collect millions out of the possible law suits, or at least enough money that lawyers would be willing to take the case on commission only? The practice of law is a business in case you have not noticed. The lawyers have been collecting fees for months now, and more to come with the appeals. So, the question is, and has to be, how much is likely to go to the lawyers if they agree to take the players' case to court on commission? In other words what are the possible damages that can be claimed? I really have no idea about the level of damages that can be claimed in this case.

Attorneys fees can be awarded in civil rights cases. Attorneys also take them on contingency fee contracts. If there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, they won't have a problem finding an attorney.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:04 PM, Old guy said:

14 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

This is a lawsuit that Slu will have to settle. Slu’s retained lawyers do not want to go against Rosenblum 

That isn’t why they will settle.  They will settle because they don’t want SLU’s dirty laundry exposed in the discovery process.

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Attorneys fees can be awarded in civil rights cases. Attorneys also take them on contingency fee contracts. If there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, they won't have a problem finding an attorney.

That is exactly the problem here, is the pot of gold at the end of the law suit likely to be a rich one or not? I have no idea how these things are estimated by law firms. Do you know? 

57 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Rosenblum is good but other lawyers do not wet the bed going against him 

He is a criminal defense attorney, and from all accounts, a very good one.  That being said, Offense and Defense are completely different ballgames.  Enter........Dr Brad Bradshaw (an Attorney and a Doctor) 🙄.  

2 minutes ago, Billiken82 said:

He is a criminal defense attorney, and from all accounts, a very good one.  That being said, Offense and Defense are completely different ballgames.  Enter........Dr Brad Bradshaw (an Attorney and a Doctor) 🙄.  

Dr Bradshaw is on his way to going national.  When I was at Table Rock over the summer there was Dr Bradshaw on TV.

Sorry guys. I just don’t see the liability for SLU. I am thoroughly disgusted, believe the boys have been railroaded, believe SLU does not take athletics seriously and will never be a true Top 50 program or in an elite conference. 

At the same time, nearly all Title IX people are liberal, biased warriors, believe private schools can make and enforce their own rules and that no judge or jury will or can second guess SLU on it own rules. 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sorry guys. I just don’t see the liability for SLU. I am thoroughly disgusted, believe the boys have been railroaded, believe SLU does not take athletics seriously and will never be a true Top 50 program or in an elite conference. 

At the same time, nearly all Title IX people are liberal, biased warriors, believe private schools can make and enforce their own rules and that no judge or jury will or can second guess SLU on it own rules. 

Don’t forget SLU has a history of losing these lawsuits. It will also just look very bad as the lawsuits push details into the public realm. 

Yes.  And if the boys have a parent with cash and is mad as hell (apparently like one of the girls/accusers), then SLU would definitely have alot to lose and worry about.  They don't .  And SLU does have a alot to lose if a civil lawsuit is allowed to go to trial - and thereby allow discovery to fully take place.

At the same time, reread the following from UD_Flyer in the Shocked thread which suggests that getting to trial rather tough against a private university, and therefore there is no "pot of gold" at the end for they accused (and their attorneys taking their case on a contingency basis):    

"Pierre retained an attorney from a NYC boutique law firm that specializes in these case and lost every time in federal court.  Basically, there is legal precedent that essentially allows a              private university to establish its own code of conduct policy and as long as the policy is  precisely followed the accused has no recourse in the courtroom.  Obviously, each case is                  different, and some Title IX decisions have been ruled unconstitutional, but the decks are stacked against the accused.  I believe that Public Universities are required to establish                      policy that actually provide the accused with some due process.

The reason for having Title IX is good, but past guidance given by Civil Rights division of the Dept of Education is over the top.  Schools are afraid of retribution for not following this                  guidance that includes the loss of federal aid / grants and issues with federal student loan programs.

And to add further, SLU will no doubt tell the Judge in any players' civil suit that this is last thing SLU wanted, will point out that it lost some of its best men's basketball players and all the lost ticket revenue, tv revenue, NCAA Tourney revenue, hurt next year's recruiting and revenue, may cause it to lose its head coach and that SLU had zero financial incentive for these suspensions but that SLU, nonetheless, did so to follow existing federal law.  Now, unless a big money guy steps up for the players/program to fund an attack on the school (I don't see this from Novelly, Dr. C, etc.), then SLU will be found guilty only of implementing and following a left-wing, radical, anti-male policy based upon its own liberal views of political correctness and social justice and in the wake of irrational fear or retribution from the federal government for not following this federal legislation.

Again, save me from the good people -- and I only wish that Betsy Devos had come to her position sooner in order to clarify Title IX regulations, to allay the real fears of Universities across this country and to restore balance to yet another radical, left-wing social experiment.

6 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

The evidence alone is enough for the guys to win this case.  The bias of the hearing officer just makes it that much worse.  Lawyers would be lining to take this case on contingency. 

4 minutes ago, HenryB said:

The evidence alone is enough for the guys to win this case.  The bias of the hearing officer just makes it that much worse.  Lawyers would be lining to take this case on contingency. 

As long as the school has followed their policy to a T the players really have no shot at winning. Because the hearing officer went to a women's march and is anti-trump really doesn't mean anything 

3 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

As long as the school has followed their policy to a T the players really have no shot at winning. Because the hearing officer went to a women's march and is anti-trump really doesn't mean anything 

A lot of these cases have been tried and won....you really think the players won’t be suing?