Joey The Troll- Travis Ford Full Circle

mrjoelabs

Tonight we saw the reason why I doubted this hire and originally earned a troll label from diehards (after previously proclaiming that Crews needed to go).  Last week I praised Ford. He earned that win over VATECH. The Providence game was a throw away with a tired team.  But tonight, Ford really choked on it. And he had moments like this throughout his Okie State career. No in game adjustments. Ill prepared team. And horrible execution. Now a lot of it is on the players too, but if there was a game plan tonight, I sure didn't recognize it. Things sure went from the penthouse to the outhouse in 7 days. This Detroit team lost to Seattle by THIRTY POINTS. I mean come on.  What a way to stink up your home floor...

I love French and Foreman but they got manhandled by the big fat guy tonight. Time to hit the weight room again boys...  Hines is a disaster and Goodwin is too flashy and out of control at times, and that caught up with him. Imagine if JJ didn't go off...we get blown out by this team.  Western Michigan looks daunting now...

9 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Tonight we saw the reason why I doubted this hire and originally earned a troll label from diehards (after previously proclaiming that Crews needed to go).  Last week I praised Ford. He earned that win over VATECH. The Providence game was a throw away with a tired team.  But tonight, Ford really choked on it. And he had moments like this throughout his Okie State career. No in game adjustments. Ill prepared team. And horrible execution. Now a lot of it is on the players too, but if there was a game plan tonight, I sure didn't recognize it. Things sure went from the penthouse to the outhouse in 7 days. This Detroit team lost to Seattle by THIRTY POINTS. I mean come on.  What a way to stink up your home floor...

I love French and Foreman but they got manhandled by the big fat guy tonight. Time to hit the weight room again boys...  Hines is a disaster and Goodwin is too flashy and out of control at times, and that caught up with him. Imagine if JJ didn't go off...we get blown out by this team.  Western Michigan looks daunting now...

French and Foreman are built like brick shithouses.  There was no help at all.  One on one they can be beaten...... 

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

The big Baby Huey weighed 260! Out weighed HF by at least thirty. When he got the ball down low someone could have helped out. He never looked to pass it out. Could have drawn a foul or two, he would have fouled out sooner. 

I agree - our defense on him was hard to understand.  Nobody could take a charge from that guy?  They gave him too much space and no help was unforgettable.  

4 minutes ago, willie said:

When did Bishop become one of our 2 best players?

I’m not a huge Bishop fan, but he is without a doubt one of our two best NCAA eligible shooters.  The school won’t let either of those shooters play.  We need shooters more than anything else right now.  The lack of shooters has made the offense terrible.

It would be sad if this season is destroyed before the real team ever got a chance to play.

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

The big Baby Huey weighed 260! Out weighed HF by at least thirty. When he got the ball down low someone could have helped out. He never looked to pass it out. Could have drawn a foul or two, he would have fouled out sooner. 

Every time he got the ball, all I could think was how nice it’d be if we had Santos this year. Santos is 260+ and the most physically imposing dude we have.  

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Could have used Cody Ellis to draw some of those fouls. He would have gone down like he was shot. 

What bothers me is that they call these ticky tack touch fouls 25 feet from the basket but you get the ball down low and just back people down by banging away.  What is a foul away from the basket should be a foul near the basket. I'm not saying this because of last night this is something I have always wondered about.

1 hour ago, willie said:

When did Bishop become one of our 2 best players?

When the other 8 guys we have couldn't beat fricking Detroit at home. 

In all seriousness, Bishop may not be the 2nd best player but he will be such and upgrade to Hines that it will have the same affect as getting a top 2 player.

Bishop will likely still be turnover prone, especially early when he’s shaking off the rust.  But the kid can create offense 1v. 1, will hit a good percentage of shots, and free up Goodwin to play more freely on offense.  Also, I suspect his defense will be improved.  He’s definitely stronger.  There was a tweet a while back where Bishop made the 225 or 230 pound bench press club, something that Goodwin had not done to that point (per the tweet). 

The thing is, I wonder about the player even mattering if he has a coaching lull again. I love what he did to VATECH and many games last year. But it seems that in game adjustments are still an issue. I trust Ford, I love what he has done, but he cannot be asleep at the switch. Last night was an unmitigated disaster the wife and I watched unfold from just above the student section. She stood up and started walking out when that last shot left his hand..knowing it would go in. Was that kind of night. It just leaves such a bad taste in your mouth after the huge step forward a week ago.

Now you wonder about beating bad A10 teams

Joey you are a troll with coach Ford.  Last season coach Ford getting 6 A10 wins in the bottom division of the A10 was about being a good coach.  Keeping the team focused all season was good coaching and it made a losing season worth watching.

Now you write in your Ford trolling you wonder if they can beat this seasons bad A10 teams, last seasons teams did that with a lot less.

Joey your trolling of coach Ford blinds you of a bad trend and that is Jordan Goodwin's .233 FG percentage.14-60 and 1-20 3 pointers.  Another concerning trend is the teams .281 27-96 3 point shooting.  Free throws was also a difference in the game if they shoot 14-20 it could of ended in overtime and 16-20 of 20 you win.  If Goodwin sinks one 3 pointer or scores on two of the missed layups they win.  The good news is that Goodwin will improve.

When the S2 players return I see a couple bad trends improving at that is 3 point shoot percentage and free throw shooting.  Also when Goodwin and Hines are struggling I see the potential of the S2 guys making a difference.  Because of S2 the struggling players have to play and that hurts as shot after shot is missed.

Finally do not forget that Elliot Welmer will be a nice option off the bench defensively and offensively, Elliot will be like Cody Ellis off the bench when he can finally play.

Welmer seems to be walking better/ and he can shoot 3 pointers and a 260 plus pound Hogan could not chase him out to the arc so he would be a mismatch for Detroit

remember when Spoon played Virgil Cobbins with a bad ankle for a whole semester- at least Ford is willing to play the players eligible from -s2 or -medical situations  I always wondered if Cobbins would be crippled for life.