FInal Roster? Potential line-ups thread

7 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

The better players should play the most.  Most of Ford's guys are better. There is a role for Roby, just not over Bess. Roby is solid, Bess is spectacular.

As Big Bill Fan said, the evidence doesn't appear to support a notion of Javon Bess's being "spectacular."  I hope he does elevate his game to become spectacular, but he hasn't been yet.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Beautiful stroke, on balance, feet always square with the rim, gets leg into the shot. He's going to make that.  He will play some 4 as well and blow by guys or be left wide open.

And we all know that highlight reels are never, ever misleading!

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The point I'm a least trying to make is that Roby can help Gordon with running the offense at the beginning of the season as Gordon adjusts to the college game.  

Last season Roby lead the team in both assists and assist to turnover ratio.  

Jordan Goodwin is easy to mix up with Carte'Are Gordon.

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'll agree that we don't want the players to be hot dogs — attention seekers — but within the context of playing games of winning basketball, I'll take all of the fast breaks and dunks and alley-oops and 10th-row blocks (albeit it's better to block the shot and retain possession) that the Bills can manage!  Coach Ford won't want them to be muted — I remember Durando's recap of last year's Greenville exhibition discussed how Coach wants the players to yell when they dunk — and neither do we.  That "muted" mood is what got us where we have been with Crews's teams.  Winning teams and winning players have a hint of flamboyance and edge.  (A "hint.")

You may be correct Quality is Job 1. However muted does not have to follow the Crews version of muted. What I hope to see is a well organized team that plays together and provides mutual help. Breaks and dunks can indeed be part of this play, and I hope it will be. What I do not want is the hot dogging players working by themselves with no passes or team support provided, that would not be good. I agree Ford has a difficult job ahead and I hope he does it as well as he has recruited.

7 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Yeah, Bess, Goodwin, Thatch, Santos, Adonys, physical specimens.  I might be leaving somebody out.

Gordon, French and Foreman.  We will have a team full of physical specimens!

Nice highlight video for Mr. Roby. Too bad, that according to STLHoopsInsider, Javon Bess will take Roby's minutes next season. That will be news to Coach Ford. 

Roby has some rather nice assists on this video, and some really nice quick pops from the arc.  He will be a stud next season.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Nice highlight video for Mr. Roby. Too bad, that according to STLHoopsInsider, Javon Bess will take Roby's minutes next season. That will be news to Coach Ford. 

Roby has some rather nice assists on this video, and some really nice quick pops from the arc.  He will be a stud next season.

Agreed but he needs to learn how to slam dunk.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank You HP for the video great stuff and I am cheering for the senior to have the type of season he has earned and that is post season play.

You're right. Let's just play the same guys from last year's team. I don't know why Ford brought these transfers in to be backups. Hines and Roby will have a Conklin summer and Goodwin and Bess will struggle for mop up minutes.  Be realistic. I could understand Roby starting as a senior glue/stabilizer, but he is no star type talent like AD and Bess, or even what Foreman could be.

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

You're right. Let's just play the same guys from last year's team. I don't know why Ford brought these transfers in to be backups. Hines and Roby will have a Conklin summer and Goodwin and Bess will struggle for mop up minutes.  Be realistic. I could understand Roby starting as a senior glue/stabilizer, but he is no star type talent like AD and Bess, or even what Foreman could be.

What makes you think that Adonis, Javon or Foreman are "Star type talent"

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

That song is dumb.  Crack rocks, hos and niggas.  I don't like it one bit.

1 hour ago, jimbofive said:

That song is dumb.  Crack rocks, hos and niggas.  I don't like it one bit.

I couldn't agree more.  Whoever put the sound track on the video should be ashamed.  I had to mute the sound.

The video reminded me that Roby was injured a good part of the year.  His shooting hand/wrist was taped for a number of games.  Just imagine how good he will be if he is healthy next season.

3 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

It is ok coach to show the senior some love I am a fan not a coach. I want the best five players playing and the best bench players playing during substitutions.  I do think if we see Roby, Johnson and Welmer on the floor that this team with the transfers and freshman can win.  I trust your analysis of the players coach and we will see how the season unfolds who is playing and how successful they are.  It makes good offseason discussions happy Friday and have a good holiday.

31 minutes ago, CBFan said:

It is ok coach to show the senior some love I am a fan not a coach. I want the best five players playing and the best bench players playing during substitutions.  I do think if we see Roby, Johnson and Welmer on the floor that this team with the transfers and freshman can win.  I trust your analysis of the players coach and we will see how the season unfolds who is playing and how successful they are.  It makes good offseason discussions happy Friday and have a good holiday.

So is SPUMAC Hoops Insider :lol:

I thought Roby had a decent season this year considering his supporting cast. He definitely appears to have matured as he struck me as being the leader of the team. That said, the only way he's going to beat out a transfer for a starting role is if the transfer just ain't playing up to the coach's level of intensity. I do expect, however, he'll get 10-15 mpg off the bench.

Someone posted Ford prefers an 8 man rotation. If that's true, then at first blush here's who appears to be the first 9 (not listed high to low); Henriquez, Goodwin, French, Bess, Foreman, Graves, Roby, and Wellmer/Anthony. That's nine names to cover an 8 man rotation. My crystal ball tells me Wellmer will not start the season fully recovered, foot injuries are tricky things, and may in fact struggle all season with it. This was probably the reason Ford was willing to take a shot at Anthony, ie he would need more height on the inside because Wellmer's availability is  dicey.  

Big question is where does Bishop figure into this mix, if at all? I think we tend to overlook the fact he was a first team A10 FR who showed some promise his FR year, albeit very inconsistent promise. I don't know if his inconsistency was due to a lack of intensity on his part or just piss poor coaching by Coach Dead to Me. At this point my best guess is he's going to be the odd man out and garner only limited minutes this year. If that is indeed how it goes for him, I expect he'll be checking out at season's end.

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Someone posted Ford prefers an 8 man rotation. If that's true, then at first blush here's who appears to be the first 9 (not listed high to low); Henriquez, Goodwin, French, Bess, Foreman, Graves, Roby, and Welmer/Anthony. That's nine names to cover an 8 man rotation. My crystal ball tells me Wellmer will not start the season fully recovered, foot injuries are tricky things, and may in fact struggle all season with it. This was probably the reason Ford was willing to take a shot at Anthony, ie he would need more height on the inside because Welmer's availability is  dicey.  

Ford stated on his Monday show with Rammer that he prefers an 8 man rotation with 2 that can hold the fort.

Here's my prediction.  Graves will get no minutes the first 10 or so games next season. 

Players coming off surgery next season include Foreman, Goodwin, and Welmer.  Players with past significant injuries in their college careers include Bess and Bishop. Roby has played through wrist/hand injuries his past two seasons. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I couldn't agree more.  Whoever put the sound track on the video should be ashamed.  I had to mute the sound.

The video reminded me that Roby was injured a good part of the year.  His shooting hand/wrist was taped for a number of games.  Just imagine how good he will be if he is healthy next season.

How can you relate to this generation's kids, but not listen to their music?

On 5/21/2017 at 4:45 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

And we all know that highlight reels are never, ever misleading!

A highlight video can be misleading about shooting results, but athleticism, shooting form, footwork, balance, aesthetics don't lie.  You have to know what to look for. I've done this a long time.

10 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

How can you relate to this generation's kids, but not listen to their music?

It's trash.  Should belong to no generation.  Repeated references to carrying a crack rock in one's sock.  Has no place as the score to a basketball highlight video.  Makes paralyzing stereotypes pretty hard to avoid, doesn't it?

Here's my prediction.

- The rotation in November will be different (and bigger) than the rotation in February.

- Talented players will end up sitting on the bench late in the season because we'll actually have depth.

- The freshmen may struggle to adjust in the first two months of their careers.

- The transfers may need time to shake off some rust.

- Bishop and probably Welmer may also need time to shake off rust.

- I think basically everyone will have a chance to prove themselves at some point and Ford will look to settle on 8-9 guys by the time we get 4-5 games into the conference season.

- People will come here with reports on how players look in summer workouts. At some point, virtually every player will get a positive review. Most will end up being wrong but the board will still be in a frenzy over the reports.

It's basically impossible to predict that rotation because there are so many unknowns. But since it's a message board and it doesn't actually matter if you're right or not, here's my guess for the 8-9 man rotation that Ford prefers:

Guards: Goodwin, Henriquez, Roby, Graves. I think the first 3 are guarantees. Henriquez and Roby can probably both slide over to play the "3" in guard heavy matchups. Bishop will get his chance to prove himself but I think Ford brought in Graves for a reason. I think Bishop is a good player, but one who needs the ball in his hands and I'm not sure he'll get enough minutes/opportunities to do so. 

Wings: Bess, Johnson. Both could probably play the "4" if called upon.

Bigs: French, Foreman, Welmer/Anthony (depending on matchups). I think French is the guarantee. Foreman is also a guarantee assuming he's healthy. I think he's been underrated on this board. I think Welmer's skillset is important and unique but I'm not sure how much Ford values a stretch 4. I also don't think Ford brought in Anthony to just be a practice body (Santos already accomplishes that). All that said, assuming Welmer is healthy (at some point), I think he sees time as the final big and can help space the floor for guys like Goodwin, Bess, and Johnson to drive and kick to Henriquez, Roby, etc.