Luis Santos Commits to SLU

Ibruce

15 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Pretentiously? Huh. People are questioning the add of a former 4-star (#starsmatter) brickhouse to the roster? Huh. What are your expectations for next season? A final four? I'm expecting, as a total homer and optimist, a tournament appearance. That would be swell. As for 2018-19? I'm expecting, as bauman posited, the sky to be the limit. Santos will help. A 22-year old who didn't pick up the sport until his teenage years can't improve? Huh. Imagine this kid in 2 years just punishing other conference kids. Could be straight unfair. How folks around here, having seen the Jolly, Neufeld, Gillmann, Manning's etc. come through can find ways to complain is hilarious. Trusting the staff, and letting him hit the floor before doubting his abilities seems like a reasonable course of action here

Yeah this post snapped me back to reality. Fcuk yeah we got Santos!!!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Pretentiously? Huh. People are questioning the add of a former 4-star (#starsmatter) brickhouse to the roster? Huh. What are your expectations for next season? A final four? I'm expecting, as a total homer and optimist, a tournament appearance. That would be swell. As for 2018-19? I'm expecting, as bauman posited, the sky to be the limit. Santos will help. A 22-year old who didn't pick up the sport until his teenage years can't improve? Huh. Imagine this kid in 2 years just punishing other conference kids. Could be straight unfair. How folks around here, having seen the Jolly, Neufeld, Gillmann, Manning's etc. come through can find ways to complain is hilarious. Trusting the staff, and letting him hit the floor before doubting his abilities seems like a reasonable course of action here

+1. It still amazes me that people act like players stop getting better at like 22. In reality most people hit their athletic peak around 27-28.

Assuming we keep the players/commitment we have, can you imagine a front line in two years with Foreman, French, Santos and Gordon?  There won't be enough rebounds for that group to split---4 A. Bonner types/bodies on the same team-holy $h!t!!!!

Throw in Goodwin, who is supposed to be a terror on the boards (and Bess) and we have never seen anything like that in SLU history.

39 minutes ago, bauman said:

Assuming we keep the players/commitment we have, can you imagine a front line in two years with Foreman, French, Santos and Gordon?  There won't be enough rebounds for that group to split---4 A. Bonner types/bodies on the same team-holy $h!t!!!!

Throw in Goodwin, who is supposed to be a terror on the boards (and Bess) and we have never seen anything like that in SLU history.

Apparently Thatch is no slouch on the boards either

5 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Apparently Thatch is no slouch on the boards either

You are right, I just don't know how many rebounds the front line will not get, plus if Thatch is in the game at the same time as Goodwin, someone(s) will have to stay back to guard against the few boards that might be taken by the other team turning into fast break points.

It is almost funny picturing a front court of French, Santos and Gordon with a back court of Thatch and Goodwin.  That is a team that could/can hang with any Power 5 conference team from a physicality standpoint.

You gotta love it.

There have been some posts on this thread stating that Santos is "old" or has "peaked". According to basketball stats the average age for a basketball player to peak is currently 26  Decades ago it was around 25 but with better conditioning and medical care the age has been extended to 26. In an ideal world players would start their college career at age 22 and peak in their senior year.

Listed below are some NBA players and the age they peaked.

Dennis Rodman....30

Dominique Wilikins...31

Jon Barry...32

Marcus Camby...34

Robert Parrish...35

Steve Nash...33

There are many others. The point is that even if 26 is the peak many players go well past that and peak later on.

Which bring us to a couple of key points on Santos....

1. You can't draw any major conclusions from his years at USF.  The Bulls were worse than we were this year .That is no small feat. We finished the year with a grade of D for the season in a B rated conference.  USF was a D- team in a B+ conference. The Bulls were a team that was in disarray...they have lost a bunch of players (currently have 7 left) . We all remember this very clearly in the past few years from our own experience.  In this environment , it is hard to grow or evaluate a player's talent.

2. Based on age and peaking stats we are getting Santos at the right time.

Will he be a great player? Maybe...if the staff can work their magic and he can meld  into the team it could happen. The AAC is comparable to the A-10.  If he doesn't become a star he is an upgrade from who ever has left.

Bottom line...Probably too early to tell how he will fit in because there are still at least 2 more pieces of the puzzle to fill in. ..He is an upgrade and that is a good thing.

12 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

+1. It still amazes me that people act like players stop getting better at like 22. In reality most people hit their athletic peak around 27-28.

It's very, very odd, if folks on here are not really happy, or even delirious, to welcome Santos.  And yes, players do actually improve, especially banging against other good physical players everyday and getting some good coaching.  I have to repeat my observations about Zeke and JJ this year -- really terrific progress -- in 6 months!  Look at Karnowski at Gonzaga:  pretty unimpressive numbers for much of his career, 5pts 7 2 rebounds freshman year, even last year just as a junior = 7 pts and 4 rebounds in 21 minutes per game.  He turned out pretty well, I think...

Maybe over the past few years before Coach Ford, we got lulled by players never seeming to improve, and in some cases, seemed to get worse???  One other thing: was he our "top choice"?? sorry doesn't work like that -- we make multiple positional offers and are happy with whomever we get the commitment from first.  And that's part of the offer:  "once one of several power forwards/ centers accept, we may revoke this offer...

From what I've heard:  this kid has big upside and you can't teach physical strength and body frame, folks.  He's also 6'9", in case you missed that small detail...  WELCOME!!!

Interesting coverage by the Missouri Post-Dispatch today.  A couple of lines under the Digest Heading for Santos commitment while 2 columns and a picture of a guard VISITING SPUMAC. 

I guess a visit to Martin/Porterville trumps, by a large margin, the actual commitment of a player to the local D-1 school.  Dave Matter must have pictures of the P-D Editors with animals:P

9 minutes ago, bauman said:

Interesting coverage by the Missouri Post-Dispatch today.  A couple of lines under the Digest Heading for Santos commitment while 2 columns and a picture of a guard VISITING SPUMAC. 

I guess a visit to Martin/Porterville trumps, by a large margin, the actual commitment of a player to the local D-1 school.  Dave Matter must have pictures of the P-D Editors with animals:P

Or they just know they have more Mizzou readers than SLU readers. 

19 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Or they just know they have more Mizzou readers than SLU readers. 

Or they just have a staff full of Mizzou grads/fans.

Honestly, with the number of mistakes made in each days' papers, I don't think the P-D could have any idea about its sports fans demographics.  They have just committed a full staff position to a Columbia-based writer and need to use all of his stuff just to justify the hire.

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

There have been some posts on this thread stating that Santos is "old" or has "peaked". According to basketball stats the average age for a basketball player to peak is currently 26  Decades ago it was around 25 but with better conditioning and medical care the age has been extended to 26. In an ideal world players would start their college career at age 22 and peak in their senior year.

Good information Wiz. Someone also mentioned that he is new to the game, so that makes the case for the developmental angle even stronger.

Ford just signed a player who can't play immediately.  It shows he is building for the long haul.  In my view his first goal was to become the top recruiting team in the A10.  The first step in becoming the dominant team in the A10. In addition I think Luis shows that Ford is seeking the kind of big bodies required to compete with top 25 teams and to make runs in the big dance.  I have to believe he had a burning desire to prove that he is much more than a recruiting coach who is one and done in annual trips to the big dance. I think we are in for years of awesome basketball.  The fun starts this year.

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

One of the things the commitment of Luis Santos and his forthcoming redshirt year means is that Ford is confident to have enough raw power to play a successful season next year without Luis Santos.

And I hope it also means he likes his new job and plans to be at SLU for a long while.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

And I hope it also means he likes his new job and plans to be at SLU for a long while.

Does this mean Ford ran of the local kid who was a good student? Congrats. I thought you guys were above this. 

9 hours ago, bauman said:

Or they just have a staff full of Mizzou grads/fans.

Honestly, with the number of mistakes made in each days' papers, I don't think the P-D could have any idea about its sports fans demographics.  They have just committed a full staff position to a Columbia-based writer and need to use all of his stuff just to justify the hire.

Yeah. I'm sure there's more SLU grads than Mizzou grads in St. Louis. Good point guy!