Recruiting - 2013

i am not afraid of a freshmen pg. we make it a priority and bring in a kwamain mitchell or a marque perry or josh fisher as our freshmen point guard, that would be just fine with me. granted it puts loads of pressure on the staff to get a high quality kid next year, but thus far the staff has shown the ability to do just that.

and who knows, maybe they already have that player in mind. i'd take the reddick kid at belleville east or the rivers kid at cahokia or the austin kid that is the point guard for the eagles.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not afraid of a freshmen pg. we make it a priority and bring in a kwamain mitchell or a marque perry or josh fisher as our freshmen point guard, that would be just fine with me. granted it puts loads of pressure on the staff to get a high quality kid next year, but thus far the staff has shown the ability to do just that.

and who knows, maybe they already have that player in mind. i'd take the reddick kid at belleville east or the rivers kid at cahokia or the austin kid that is the point guard for the eagles.

Of course you would. They are all from Southwest Illinois! :D

In all seriousness, I agree with much of what is being said here. With the two quality bigs in the fold we now have the luxury of aiming high with the last scholly. Seems like we have 3 great guard candidates and should be happy with landing any of them. Get any of those and this class will have well exceeded my expectations.

Then the fun starts again and we can all start freaking out about the 2014 class.

And, let's not forget, both McCall and Jett played a lot their freshmen years. Now, a lot of that was due to The Situation, and it led to a 12-19 season, but at the very least, one (if not both) of them would have been playing major minutes with Kwamain in the lineup. Playing a freshman PG is not a terrible thing, IMO.

In all seriousness, I agree with much of what is being said here. With the two quality bigs in the fold we now have the luxury of aiming high with the last scholly. Seems like we have 3 great guard candidates and should be happy with landing any of them. Get any of those and this class will have well exceeded my expectations.

Then the fun starts again and we can all start freaking out about the 2014 class.

Oh, you mean get back to normal! :lol:

A few bullets:

-For those curious as to what the Nike Global Challenge is, check out the link. The dates are July 17-21 in DC. It looks like they're still assembling the list of players who will play for the US, and the list will be divided into three teams. Onwuasor is not yet listed, as of this post. There are five international teams. Andrew Wiggins played last season for the Canadian team.

-Pitt writer Matthew Steinbrink says that the Panthers are focused on Achraf Yacoubou, DeAndre Kane (Marshall transfer), and Sheldon Jeter (who may be transferring from Vanderbilt). This would indicate that Onwuasor is purely a back-up plan to these transfers; SLU and Miami have made him a priority, and my guess is even if he visits Pitt, he'll still go with one of the two prioritizing him. Pitt has two scholarships remaining.

-I found a few photos of Onwuasor playing against Mater Dei, Jordan Strawberry's team. Each showed him guarding Stanley Johnson, the 6-6, 220-lb. 5-star class of 2014 recruit who has offers from Arizona, Kentucky, UCLA, Oregon, Syracuse, Louisville, and several others. I thought that was an interesting matchup. Mater Dei won the game (another photo in the article, which mentions Randy O led Inglewood with 16 points; it was a playoff game on 2/26/13). Here's another:

miy05q-bbkbmaterdei.jpg

Pitt just signed a juco center. It looks like they just have one scholarship left.

No because I have seen all of them play. You might try it some time.

for me the urgency was the bigs. reggie and tanner filled the needs. while we need a strong guard. we dont seem to need a strong guard now. so i have no problem with the staff taking their time to try to maximize the effectiveness of this last spot. if we get second placed on the good ones, so be it. the now high school junior class is strong.

+1

JC certainly deserves credit for getting TL. Well done. I admit to be being one of those who expressed some concern and urgency. As previously mentioned, any comment even commenting on JC's recruiting was met with not only strong, but IMO, "over the top" opposition.

And again, good news on recruits was suggested, dare I say promised, prior to the interim tagbeing removed from JC, then JC is the one who told us there would be two (2) recruits that week, not me, Cheese or others... When that did not happen, when no additional signings were made, when public problems for Fr. Biondi/SLU continued and silence on the new BE remained, the momentum of the RM years, of the JC Interim HC year, and of our recent two (2) years of success/NCAA Tourney did appear to stall just a bit. Now, with the TL signing on the heels of the RA signing, the urgency has subsided a bit. Help is still need and I do hope we use all scholarships but there is a big difference between holding 2 v. holding 1.

+1 again.

Two (2) great posts!! one after the other!!

Yep. Now Roy adheres to, wait for it, wait for it....

G-O-S-E-E-T-H-E-K-I-D-S-P-L-A-Y-U-N-L-E-S-S-Y-O-U-H-A-V-E-T-O-C-R-O-S-S-A-R-I-V-E-R

Roy's version.

And, let's not forget, both McCall and Jett played a lot their freshmen years. Now, a lot of that was due to The Situation, and it led to a 12-19 season, but at the very least, one (if not both) of them would have been playing major minutes with Kwamain in the lineup. Playing a freshman PG is not a terrible thing, IMO.

12-19 was alot due to the Situation (loss of KM and JS -- and maybe WR but he wouldn't have played anyway for academic reasons) but even still, it wasn't just that our freshmen point guards (MM and JJ) as much as it was the lack of experienced upperclassmen. We bascially had all four (4) freshmen finish the year as our starters/guys who got major minutes: DE, RL, JJ and MM. Also, CE had mono and then separated his shoulder.

Pitt just signed a juco center. It looks like they just have one scholarship left.

And they're prioritizing 3 guard transfers. Come on, Randy, cross them off the list. No one wants to be the third (at best) backup plan.

12-19 was alot due to the Situation (loss of KM and JS -- and maybe WR but he wouldn't have played anyway for academic reasons) but even still, it wasn't just that our freshmen point guards (MM and JJ) as much as it was the lack of experienced upperclassmen. We bascially had all four (4) freshmen finish the year as our starters/guys who got major minutes: DE, RL, JJ and MM. Also, CE had mono and then separated his shoulder.

Not to mention the fact that Conklin was hurting for a good portion of the season.

That year really was a perfect shite storm.

Are you saying the east side has 3 guards that should be as good as KM, or Marque, let alone Josh?

Wouldn't that probably be the best group of pg's to come out of St. Louis in the same year in um... forever

And they're prioritizing 3 guard transfers. Come on, Randy, cross them off the list. No one wants to be the third (at best) backup plan.

I'm still very worried about Miami (Oh.)

Why so impatient? Jesperson just announced his transfer and is visiting. TL was forced to look for a new school and within 30 days we had him in the fold. It takes time for these young men and their families to make these decisions and, of course, some young folks have a very difficult time in making decisions. All will work out in time. We have three excellent recruits and some very nice possible prospects.

"young lady, so horny... so impatient!"

name that movie, you chickenfuokers.

I'm still very worried about Miami (Oh.)

I'm not that worried about Randy. We're in on two transfers who have attracted better interest than Miami (OH)... and there may be other transfers we are in contact with. If we don't get Randy I'm fine, because I think there is a possibility we can get somebody better. If Yacoubou says today he wants to come to SLU, I say so long Randy.