Transfer from UW?

MadBird

Wonder if anyone on the board has seen or heard this news, from today's Madison Capital Times? Wisconsin guard Mickey Perry, from Maywood Proviso East, is leaving UW and lists SLU as a potential destination. Might help. ISU just signed a mid-year transfer this week, Sean Odzic, from So. Cal, so I doubt they'd have room for Perry.

UW men's basketball: Seldom-used Perry decides to transfer

By Rob Schultz

December 22, 2006

Mickey Perry is leaving the University of Wisconsin men's basketball team.

Perry, a 6-foot-2 redshirt freshman guard who has played the least amount of minutes of the Badgers' scholarship players this season, told UW coach Bo Ryan Thursday that he is planning to transfer.

"He is a fine young man who I wish nothing but the best for in the future," Ryan said in a statement released this morning.

The former Proviso East guard, who redshirted last season, averaged 1.0 points per game while playing just 23 minutes this season, mostly in mop-up duty. There was hope Perry would have done more for the fourth-ranked Badgers after he averaged 7.2 points a game and shot 60 percent from the floor during their five exhibition games in Italy this summer.

But Perry, a native of Maywood, Ill., who possesses a good outside shot and worked in the weight room to improve his ability to drive and score from the post, never got comfortable with Ryan's system. Thus, he rarely played and fell behind true freshmen guards Jason Bohannon and Trevon Hughes in the playing rotation.

Perry thanked the school, his teammates and coaches for supporting him at Wisconsin. "I've decided to look for an opportunity where I can help a team by contributing more on the floor during games," he said in a statement. "I also want to thank the fans at the University of Wisconsin for all the support they have provided myself and my teammates. I wish Wisconsin all the best in the future and hopefully they can continue the special season that has started here."

Perry will transfer in good academic standing, a source close to the program said. Some of the schools that Perry is considering transferring to include Illinois State and Saint Louis, the source added. He will have to sit out a year, per NCAA transfer rules. He will be eligible to play during the second semester of next season.

He is the second player to leave the Wisconsin basketball program in as many seasons. Last year, guard DeAaron Williams left at the semester break with the intention of transferring to Bradley. He is now attending a junior college in Peoria.

>Wonder if anyone on the board has seen or heard this news,

>from today's Madison Capital Times? Wisconsin guard Mickey

>Perry, from Maywood Proviso East, is leaving UW and lists

>SLU as a potential destination. Might help. ISU just

>signed a mid-year transfer this week, Sean Odzic, from So.

>Cal, so I doubt they'd have room for Perry.

>

>

>

>UW men's basketball: Seldom-used Perry decides to transfer

>

>By Rob Schultz

>December 22, 2006

>

>Mickey Perry is leaving the University of Wisconsin men's

>basketball team.

>

>Perry, a 6-foot-2 redshirt freshman guard who has played the

>least amount of minutes of the Badgers' scholarship players

>this season, told UW coach Bo Ryan Thursday that he is

>planning to transfer.

>

>"He is a fine young man who I wish nothing but the best for

>in the future," Ryan said in a statement released this

>morning.

>

>The former Proviso East guard, who redshirted last season,

>averaged 1.0 points per game while playing just 23 minutes

>this season, mostly in mop-up duty. There was hope Perry

>would have done more for the fourth-ranked Badgers after he

>averaged 7.2 points a game and shot 60 percent from the

>floor during their five exhibition games in Italy this

>summer.

>

>But Perry, a native of Maywood, Ill., who possesses a good

>outside shot and worked in the weight room to improve his

>ability to drive and score from the post, never got

>comfortable with Ryan's system. Thus, he rarely played and

>fell behind true freshmen guards Jason Bohannon and Trevon

>Hughes in the playing rotation.

>

>Perry thanked the school, his teammates and coaches for

>supporting him at Wisconsin. "I've decided to look for an

>opportunity where I can help a team by contributing more on

>the floor during games," he said in a statement. "I also

>want to thank the fans at the University of Wisconsin for

>all the support they have provided myself and my teammates.

>I wish Wisconsin all the best in the future and hopefully

>they can continue the special season that has started here."

>

>Perry will transfer in good academic standing, a source

>close to the program said. Some of the schools that Perry is

>considering transferring to include Illinois State and Saint

>Louis, the source added. He will have to sit out a year, per

>NCAA transfer rules. He will be eligible to play during the

>second semester of next season.

>

>He is the second player to leave the Wisconsin basketball

>program in as many seasons. Last year, guard DeAaron

>Williams left at the semester break with the intention of

>transferring to Bradley. He is now attending a junior

>college in Peoria.

Seems like SLU is in his top 2. If he chooses Ill State over SLU, I'm sure some posters will bring up Bobby Hill ending up at Ill. State over SLU.

WRONG AGAIN GOOBER

The PROVISOS AS YOU ..cough cough ..SAY

are only basketball schools

not great in baseball,football,soccer,hockey,swimming etc???

Proviso East much more famous than West in the great illinois basketball history

though West hosts one of the toughest annual basketball tournaments in the state during the season.

thou

I have no real information but he was recruited to UW by Rob Jeter (who is now UWM coach) so maybe that is in the mix too. I know we do not need guards as bad but if he transfers we could use him eventually.

Here's a good preseason story on him this year:

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/baske...d=94829&ntpid=2

Country, you need to chill, dude. Proviso East grads have run through D1 basketball in the B10 recently, with Dee Brown, Shannon Brown, Brian Carwell and others all being mentioned or already in the NBA. Dee was Proviso's starting quarterback, and a highly recruited football player before he signed and starred at Illinois.

West may not be stellar, but that conference has been nails for years in Illinois, and would smoke everyone in Missouri on a yearly basis.

As far as Mickey Perry, he now is 6'2", 185 lbs, and is a very solid scoring guard. His handle and defense are improving, but he still needs work being stronger on the ball. The knock on him at Proviso was his lack of passing skills - a byproduct of lack of a good handle. Carwell was the dominant center in Illinois, and Perry did not get him the rock enough, tho he was the scoring guard, not the PG. He hit at 18.5 ppg, 5 rbds, and 4 assists his senior year at Proviso. The Kivistos and Schmidt think highly of him, so that's a good sign.

Having seen our lack of depth at guard this year, Perry would be a superior get at this time. He can score at will when he gets hot, and we are going to need that next year. Dustin is a Ahearn type physical presence, and Perry has proven he can score with bodies hanging on him so he would be in the mix from the start.

I just don't know how the schollie slots would be impacted. As far as academics, Mickey was a honors student at Proviso, and had no trubles at Wiskey. He would be a third year soph next year, as he redshirted his true freshman year.

NBA superstar, former Wisconsin Badger star...and possibly their all-time leading scorer Michael Finley(gotta look that one up but I think so) played at Proviso East, as did current Boston Celtic head coach Doc Rivers, an NBA star.

DeAaron Williams was very highly recruited and touted. This current kid is playing behind Taylor, Flowers, Hughes, etc...No chance for time. Maybe he can get it elsewhere and be a nice player. And yes, not having Rob Jeter on staff anymore, a young African American role model probably didn't help him understand his situation more.

>VTime, in the spirit of balance, can you dig up a Vashon

>moment for us as well?

Okay, 6 degrees of separation, Vashon and Michael Jordan. During the 2002 Vashon played St. Vincent-St. Mary and their star player Lebron James. Lebron plays on the Cavaliers with Larry Hughes. Larry Hughes was a teammate of Brendan Haywood on the Washington Wizards. Brendan Haywood was the starting center on the Wizards during Michael Jordan's comeback with the Wizards.

Reading the UW board, sounds like this guy is some kinda athlete who has immense ability but struggled in Bo Ryan's system. Assuming he comes here, he would be able to help out in Jan for a-10 season. Sounds like a Reggie Bryant type player. Would be nice to have on the perimeter with TL and KL.

where perry would really help is that it gives us more quality practices. right now who is guarding lisch, polk and liddell in practice and who do they have to guard? for the rest of this season and thru xmas next year, the second team would have this guy on their side.

boy that would be a nice transfer.

waldman practiced while sitting his transfer year. i remember spoon saying at billiken club meetings that he constantly used h to demonstrate the right way to do things in practice.