Butler Beats Indiana in NIT

thetorch

Came back from a double digit deficit in the second half.

Stemler played a lot. He would have given us some more depth but his game is very similar to Meyer's and Stemler does not appear to be demonstrably better at the D-1 level. Good to see the cheating Sampson and the relocal boy who spurned us lose to a mid major.

That is just silly to beat on Stemler - the kid has a right to go where he wants. Without bringing up all the stuff that had been talked about earlier on this topic suffice it to say that us not getting him was a two way street - all Sampson did was get his foot in the door when we let it crack open.

>That is just silly to beat on Stemler - the kid has a right

>to go where he wants. Without bringing up all the stuff

>that had been talked about earlier on this topic suffice it

>to say that us not getting him was a two way street - all

>Sampson did was get his foot in the door when we let it

>crack open.

Too wishy washy. This is college basketball. If you aren't with us you are against us.

>That is just silly to beat on Stemler - the kid has a right

>to go where he wants. Without bringing up all the stuff

>that had been talked about earlier on this topic suffice it

>to say that us not getting him was a two way street - all

>Sampson did was get his foot in the door when we let it

>crack open.

I'm sure the Illini fans are treating the Gordon loss with as much graciousness as you. This is our problem we are too nice.

we were the first to actively recruit stemmler and we were the first to offer him a scholarship. far before either marquette or indiana and far before the signing date. frank c said yesterday on his show that the story he heard is that stemmler said when leaving his slu official visit he was all but sure he was coming to slu and joked that it would take a big car to get him to change his mind. he went on his indiana visit the next weekend and then signed with indiana.

good for sampson.

i watched stemler the other night with indiana. he looks like the same non power forward playing power forward that was at swic. wandering around the top of the key, not rebounding and getting drove around at will. thus far, i would take luke meyer in a second over stemler.

i am taking bets that stemler will be recruited over this year and will see his pt cut drastically his senior season. sad that he let folks talk him into going to sampson's house of cheat and lies.

Screw Stemler! The kid has the right to go where he wants, we don't have to be happy with it. He should get a hard time from us for not going to SLU. Nobody who is a SLU fan should to a damn thing for him if he comes back to the area looking for a job. He should be put at the bottom of the list.

Amen, brotha...

Was it just me, or did Stemler not look like much more than a role player? Not that we can't always use a 6'8 guy who can shoot, but he really didn't look like more than Ross Vaner. I didn't watch the game start to finish, but caught a good amount...and I basically focused on Stemler the whole time. All I saw was him standing around and setting picks. I saw one shot that missed and absolutely no desire to rebound.

I don't think Stemler was the answer we were looking for at the 4 and feel much better today about this recruiting "loss". From what I hear, HD has a much bigger upside as a power forward.

Those in-state battles are usually good. Butler made a great run. Too bad the cowards in the middle of this state are too chicken to play us. The three Mizzou/SLU games were all hard fought and went down to the wire just like that IU/Butler game.

I was thinking the same thing - the game reminded me of a SLU-Mizzou game. When the pg hit the three with :05 left in the game, there was a great camera angle that showed the fans behind the basket, almost entirely dressed in red. When the ball went through the hoop, three blue-clad Butler fans jumped out of their seats. It looked like the section I sat in for the SLU-Mizzou game at the dome, with my buddy and me being the only two SLU fans.

Truly some sad comments in this thread. The kid played ONE game. Some team will inevitably come to SLU this year...let's say UNC...and someone will inevitably not have a good game for no reason you know...and plenty on this board will say, "I was not impressed with such and such,"...and "That player is not that good,"....all based on ONE game.

PATHETIC

First, many posters have written off our freshman class when they have not even played a game so don't give me that stuff about pathetic. That is the way of many on this board about the Billikens and their players.

Second, I watched all of the first two Indiana games and I think you can draw some conclusions:

Stemler seems taller than I expected and he has a very nice touch on his shot. He likes to shoot from outside and so far he has not been hot but he has hit some shots. He is clearly not a big strong 4 man who likes to mix it up inside. He was often pushed around and out hustled by players from lesser known schools. His defense is basically like a high school star who was a scorer. His fundamentals are not very good but when he wants to he can be moderately effective. He is absolutely awful as a help defender but my guess is that Sampson will teach him. Overall, I would have liked to have him on our team to see how he would have worked out. My guess is that most posters here would have declared him a bust if he had played like that in his first two games for the Bills.

How in the hell are these sad comments? SLU fans owe Stemler nothing. He rejected us. We can say whatever the hell we want to about him. Maybe if more local kids thought they would get a hard time for leaving town more would stay. We don't have to be nice to any kid that spurns us.

You think this is pathetic? Why don't you ask Dan Dierdorf about some of the stuff that has been said about him in his hometown of Canton and the rest of the state? The man is a hall of famer and still gets trouble from the locals. It is part of the deal when your spurn the local college.

Your comments are the ones that are pathetic. You have no idea at all how big time programs fan base treat kids when they get rejected. You are supposed to make kids feel uncomfortable about leaving. Screw you and your holier than every other Bills fan attitude.

courtside, i dont understand your selective timing. you rip on the posters that are "evaluating" stemler after two tv games, yet i dont remember you posting anything ripping any of the posters that have attacked any of our billiken players over the last two weeks? why would you rush to defend area turncoat stemler but not protect our own billikens?

on another topic not related to courtside's post, i am glad that a lot of posters that didnt get a chance to see stemler in high school or at swic got the opportunity to see him these two very average at best games for indiana. it shows that coach soderberg indeed was right in not rushing to fall all over stemler last year as many who never saw stemler have blamed.