What a great day for Billiken basketball!

Billikan

I just returned from the groundbraking for the new arena and it was a fantastic event. It was held in several tents and there was food and drink. At least 5 TV stations had film crews and several print photographers and reporters were on hand. KFNS was broadcasting live from the site and there were many students on hand as well. The Blue Crew was well represented--Thanks again to the Blue Crew!

The talks went well and Cheryl was absolutely euphoric. We still need to raise $9 million but everyone is confident that we can do it.

Shimmy spoke first and as always she was vibrant and impressive. She is convinced that this will help put her woman's program on the map!

Brad was forceful again about how important this will be in recruiting--referencing the impact that it will have on potential recruits rather than a visit to West Pine gym (someone mentioned that it was built in 1926!. He againd emphasized the importance of academics and said that in May or June 2007 all 15 of the players who have been in the program since he became head coach will have graduated. That is an amazing statistic.

He again stated his goal to have a top 20 caliber program. The man is nothing if not ambitious and his energy just radiates from him as he speaks. After the speeches were done and it was time to move to the place where the official shovels would be put in the ground -- Brad literally leaped from his chair and ran over to grab a shovel. He obviously thinks this will be huge and he is optimistic about the coming season because he remarked that he had 7 of the top 8 scorers and rebounders returning.

Overall it was a wonderful event and a great day for Billiken athletics!

kfns did a marvelous job covering the event imo as well. i wish i could have been there, but it sounds like all went well.

father biondi's dig at bernie m was priceless. was big bernie in attendance?

one last comment, since hardball has assured us that shimmy gray-miller is soon leaving slu, her speech was a fantastic job of masking. she has me fooled.

I think the ceremony was very well done and put together. Everything came together just as it should and as the committee that put it together wanted...at least I thought so. I agree with everything you just said, but I would also add that Coach Gray also gave an excellent speech. She was so excited and honest. I love that she is basically promised a tournament women's team...always good to see both sides getting the benefit. There were also a lot more students support than I thought would be there, so I was very happy about that. It was a fun event and I can't wait until the building starts going up!!

I also thought the comment about Bernie was great. I am sure he was not there. He is a first rate "hypocritic"--a new word I made up for Bernie and his kind who contantly complain and criticize and yet never give anyone any credit for anything positive unless they can in some fashion take credit for it themselves. No doubt at some point that Bernie will try to take credit for this arena as well!

Also, for all of those over the years that kept saying that Biondi was stopping the project, did not want the project, etc,-- it was clear from everyone involved that he was the driving force for this all along and it would have never have been done without his perseverence and vision

Also found out through the grapevine, that Shimmy and staff had eight players out of Chicago on campus Saturday for an unofficial. It's my understanding, they had eleven players in all just this last week alone. All 08's, '09's, & 10's and one of the '09's has already been offered by Purdue. I think a couple of the visits during the week were from Anya Covington out of Edwardsville and Alisha Goodwin out of Althoff.

Any players there today?

When does the dirt moving start ...tomorrow ...next week?

Any luminaries who might have the $$$ for naming rights.

Estimated attendance?

Sounds like a great day...also sounds like UB is very upbeat and plans on being in St. Louis for awhile.

goodwin is an athlete. cant shoot, but is an athlete.

i wonder if teandrau smith from east st louis is on the shimmy radar?

the east side sleeper player is the broadway girl at civic memorial. i think she, like smith and goodwin, is only a junior.

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

I was put into a reverie, as most speeches tend to put me, and saw the ghosts of Billikens past - many of the players and coaches post John Bennington. Then I tuned into the ghosts of the Billikens present...and what they might become if the right actions are taken...as I think we have. Then I saw the ghosts of the Billiken future, but they were dim since what they become depends so much on what we do today. However, death and taxes were plainly in view...

SLU Press Release

I think people will know I was there: http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/school...ion/592816.jpeg

Hundreds attend kickoff for $80.5-million project.

Aug. 28, 2006

St. Louis - Saint Louis University broke ground on its new $80.5 million multipurpose Arena this afternoon at the Arena site near Compton and Laclede Avenues. A crowd of nearly 600 people joined University officials, coaches and student-athletes as well as St. Louis dignitaries as ground was broken for the new facility, which includes a 10,600-seat Arena, a practice facility, athletics offices, locker rooms and training facilities.

"There were many skeptics, and some may be in the audience today, who believed this facility would not become reality," University President Lawrence Biondi, S.J. said. "We are here today to prove them wrong."

"This is one of the greatest days in Billiken athletics history, and I'm overjoyed to be here and be part of it," director of athletics Cheryl Levick said. "This building is a product of a tremendous grass roots fundraising effort, because this is a privately funded facility that did not tap into student fees or tuition dollars. No matter the size of the gift, everyone involved in contributing to this building has the right to be extremely proud today."

The new Arena will be home to Billikens men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball. It will host a variety of other events such as concerts, conferences, trade shows and commencements. It is expected to bring more than 400,000 people to Midtown St. Louis each year. St. Louis-based Clayco will build the Arena, with an expected opening in March 2008.

"I want to thank Fr. Biondi and the board of trustees for giving our program the opportunity to compete on a national level," men's basketball head coach Brad Soderberg said. "When we bring recruits to campus, they now will know that we are serious about competing with the best programs in the country."

"The University administration has done its job in bringing this building to life," women's basketball head coach Shimmy Gray-Miller said. "Now I promise that I will do my job, my staff will do its job and our student-athletes will do their job to produce winning basketball."

Arena donors were also recognized at the event, which brought out hundreds of faculty, staff, students and Billiken fans to witness the beginning of the long-awaited project.

-it was a great event, steamy as heck, but worth it and the rain stayed away at least while I was there

-the volleyball team was, how should I say, well represented in their uniforms

-i did not hear volleyball mentioned once and they will play the first real game in the bldg and the bldg will be as big a gain for them (not sure why i'm on the vball kick)

-if knute rockne was as dynamic as coach gray he was something, she could get people to run through a wall for her i think

-media well represented

-saw quite a few of the men's team, vball, a bunch of slu track and field shirts, donnigan, earl etc

-i was pleased with the attendance of both students and non-students

-hint to someone in the ad, either take a picture every day from the towers (is that marchetti??) or install a camera to film construction progress and maybe post recent on the web site

-steve, good work on the sign

-a very good day, only to be topped by a day around Nov 10, 2008 for the first game. let's hope we can all see that day!!!!

-also, caught the numerous references where it was mentioned that FrB was always for this and basically never an obstacle, almost too numerous for it to be coincidence if one wanted to get conspiracy therorist on us

http://www.billikens.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/8743.html#4

hard ball said in the above string about coach shimmy gray-miller staying at slu for a long time:

"I think that is wishful thinking. No coach in their right mind will stay at a mid major and pass on a big time school. That is a career killer. From what I have seen and heard from her she will be here no longer than 5 years.?"

Contrary to what some might believe - Bernie really could make some claim to helping to get the arena built. Whether some would accept or even understand that when a gadfly does its thing the sheer irritantness of their caustic attacks do cause the powers to be to get agitated and often eventually get something done. Even if Bernie's countdown and other comments provide even 1/10 of a % towards the project getting off the ground then it was important. One never knows who/which action causes the tipping point for a decision or event. As far as I am concern, Father Biondi's comment was healthy and my guess is that Bernie will take it as a joke. I wish I could have been there, out of town on business but I knew others would represent all of us just fine. I did chuckle at Steve's sign.

This is a great day and I agree we should emphasize the positive but to give Bernie any credit makes me sick to my stomach. He is a fair weather fan who knows little about the Billikens and he does nothing whatsoever to help the Bills. He should have been man enough to attend today and eat a little crow!

On the positive side, it was incredible to watch Cheryl, Shimmy and Brad all be so filled with energy and enthusiasm. We all lucky to have them all!

Fr. Biondi appeared to take pleasure in his shots back at BM.

He radio shot at Slaten was even better.....something to the effect that Slaten stated some years back that he would be dead before Biondi got an on-campus arena built. Fr. Biondi offered to say Slaten's funeral mass and offer a homily at no cost!