Bills Beat Dayton By 11

davidnark

Wow beating Daytons big boys on the glass on the road. What a tough effort by SLU tonight. Everybody was tough on the boards tonight.

Izik still is not getting his shots down, but his defense and rebounding has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few games.

Two wins with the short bench, can't argue against wins.

Great game by Sloan, we really needed his points tonite. He took care of business in a hostile environment.

I was going to say, "Huh?" but then I figured out you're alluding to Bullet Bob's statement. Well, he may say SLU and Mizzou are on different planets, but it sure sounded like he had fun on the planet he was on tonight! The Bills pulled off a big road upset against the defending A-10 champions, a team that, at 10-1, had been ranked, but Mizzou just lost at home to Belmont. Which planet is better?

defense and rebounding are as much about heart and effort as they are about athletic ability. sounds to me as though a couple of inside guys have now "figured" it out!

btw, how many of the brian gregory lovers still wish he was the billiken coach? sounded to me as though coach soderberg pushed all the right buttons tonite!

who would have ever thought that fish would miss the most free throws in a game! not that he did bad, but the whole team shot well!

sloan was the man tonite.

D1, When are you getting back up to the Lou? I feel bad that we suckered you into the paradox known as SLU basketball and now it remains with you in Arkansas. Let us know when you are up this way, and we will get together to buy you some drinks.

While he bemoaned Dayton's poor shooting Bucky Bockhorn (color man on UD's broadcast) said that SLU was easily the best defensive team that Dayton had faced this year. After a shaky offensive start, we lit it up pretty good on the offensive end too with 41 2nd half points. Case closed long ago on the Soderberg VS Gregory debate...Brad won me over after I thought about the hand he had in resurrecting the Wisconsin program. He's the perfect HC to get our program on a nice NCAA run.

We hosted a dinner party last night, so I didn't have the chance to listen to the game in progress. But it sure is sweet to wake up to this result on New Year's Day! A big Bills road win makes it a lot easier for me to keep my resolution -- not to take quite so much delight in Mizzou's travails. I'll take a Billiken victory any day!

I guess it remains to be seen how it plays out, but Gregory wasn't shy about calling out some of his seniors in the Dayton paper.

[link:www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/ud/daily/0101udbb.html]

Let's hope the coach gets his players' attention...and the Flyers keep piling up the wins.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...y/0101udbb.html

this dayton article is intriguing for one reason, gregory blames the seniors. how often have we heard soderberg take the blame in a loss? i cant think of a time he went off on the specific players in print.

Great win last night for a couple of reasons. First of all, it was a road win. Second of all, it was against a 10-1 team. I agree that Dayton isn't as good as their record, but it's also about perception. Many people feel they are good and we beat them on their floor. Lastly, it's momentum going into K-State and a great way to end the year.

On the play by play last night, I think Ramsey said something like: Who said the Billikens shouldn't go to the A-10 and couldn't play well in the A-10. Who said their are no go rivalries for the Billikens in the A-10. - I was thinking to myself: Well, you did Bob!

I agree 100% with your comment on Ramsey--I thought exactly the same thing when he made the comment. Also, his negativity is irratating. When the Bills were down 29-25 with about 10 minutes to go he said it was "desparation" time for the Bills. Desparation time is when you are down 8 with a minute to go. What a joke!

WHAT A GAME!! WOW was it great to sit/stand in that arena cheering on the Bills at the end! Haha nothing i like more than pissing off the opposing fans!

My Impressions:

Tough first half for both teams...19-19 at the half but whatever Brad said at halftime worked cause we played one helluva second half. Halftime adjustments were huge.

Held Waleskowski and Finn to 9 points...huge! Made them rush shots and shoot outside and they did (and not very well).

Great team effort in the second half...everyone pitched in...great team win. This one should help give this team the confidence it needs to play at the level i know they are capable of.

Lastly...i still cringe every time Izik touches the ball at the top of the key.

What a way to end 2003...lets start 2004 off with a bang!!

Very satisfying win for Brad letting Gregory know "it's not this easy". I would be remiss if I did not comment on Ross's play last night. Aaccoring to Rammer and Earl, Ross played solid last night. Solid defense--3 shots, 3 buckets. Only 1 rebound in 20 minutes but Rammer and Earl comment on a couple of occasions that he jumped in the passing lane to deny entry passes down low.

but I don't based my love for a coach based on one game.

What, are we supposed to profess our love for Barry Hinson over Brad Soderberg because he owns him???

No, as I've consistently stated, let's look at the records, RPI, and conference finishes AFTER THE SEASON is over. Even with this one hiccup, it's obvious that Brian Gregory is off to a great start for SLU. He came from a highly respected program in Michigan State, who are known for running disciplined, clean programs. Now I'm happy SLU has Brad Soderberg, but I would have been happy with Brian Gregory too. 10-2 is nothing to sneeze at...

>this dayton article is intriguing for one reason, gregory

>blames the seniors. how often have we heard soderberg take

>the blame in a loss? i cant think of a time he went off on

>the specific players in print.

I was very surpised the way he blasted a specific player (Finn) by name, very Knight-ish.