Asst Anthony Beane resigns

TheBand

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 11, 2006

Men’s Basketball

SLU ASSISTANT ANTHONY BEANE RESIGNS

ST. LOUIS—Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Brad Soderberg today announced that assistant coach Anthony Beane has resigned effective immediately to pursue other interests. Soderberg did not set a specific time frame for naming a replacement.

“Anthony was a loyal assistant for four years and always displayed the integrity and character that we expect from an individual representing the University,†Soderberg said. “He has played a major role in rebuilding the foundation of our program for this season and years to come. I expect that Anthony will have an outstanding career in his next endeavor, and we are disappointed that it will not be with Saint Louis University.â€

“I want to wish Coach Soderberg and the team great success in the future, and I appreciated the opportunity to work at Saint Louis University during the past four years,†Beane said. “I can’t say that I won’t coach again, but I am going to explore options in private business.â€

Beane joined the SLU staff when Soderberg was named head coach in 2002. After his playing career at Kansas State concluded, Beane’s career as an assistant coach took him to Allen County Community College, SMS-West Plains, Southeast Missouri State and Illinois State.

In its inaugural season in the Atlantic 10 Conference in 2005-06, Saint Louis finished 16-13 overall and tied for third in the league race with a 10-6 mark.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion one thing that is glaringly missing from our program is a lack of continuity with the past. Ex-players on the coaching staff are easy ways to improve that.

If AB is serious about being an assistant and is willing to work hard at recruiting I hope Brad gives him serious consideration.

If and I'm sure it's a big if ... AB I'm sure would coach the bigs. Thorpe or Grunk can coach the guards. I hope SLU does whatever it takes to make sure if AB doesn't come on board that it was nothing on their part.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

You are right it doesn't ... but from what I know of AB which isn't alot ... he seems like he would be a great recruiter, he seems to be a hard working guy and I know he has a super personality. I am sure he knows what to teach.

Who knows ... there may not even be a chance, we have no idea if he would even be interested

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Anthony Bonner may not have been a college or high school coach, but he does have coaching experience. I've seen him working with youth.

If Bonner is interested in coaching in college, and I believe he is, then his alma mater ought to do everything permissible to give him that opportunity first. Though I find it a bit discouraging that a lot of today's high school players have no idea who Bonner is, if AB is a coach at SLU, recruiting the area's best players will be 10 times easier for SLU (because the players' coaches certainly know who Bonner is.

I've been saying for years that SLU needs to get Bonner on the staff.

I second that. I'd be surprised in Sloan's name wasn't first on the list to be an assistant coach. I agree with you Tim: if he doesn't get the position, then why is he the director of basketball operations? The only thing is that I wouldn't think of him as being a guard coach. I wonder how they would work around that....

My first choice would be AB.

If AB was on the staff Powell coming is a no brainer.

Anderson would have a harder time making inroads with area kids, or we could at least equal his prestige having a black former SLU player who was in the NBA out recruiting kids locally.

How long has Sloan been DOBO? 2 years? He is a little too green for this position. Beane was our top asst. Losing that type of guy means we need to bring in someone a little older with more credentials than Chris Sloan. Same with Diener.

We should make every effort to have AB on the coaching staff if he wants it.

Beane leaving has no impact on the grad. asst. situation. Chris Sloan has a job and Brad has rewarded him already with the job he has. Now, AB would be a good selection - he would be the trump card for getting local big players. Not sure if he is interested or not but that is the right way to go if he is available.

what is with the Bonner fascination? The guy has never been a coach and besides, SLU has a fine big man coach in Coach Thorpe (unless you think Ian hasn't improved). Are recruits going to line up to come to SLU because someone who played around the time they were watching Sesame Street is the assistant? Not likely. Why not hire Ed McCauley or Bob Ferry then? Hire another coach to work with the guards, as that seems to be the direction the roster is going anyway.

Drake Diener? Not gonna happen. That would be a slap in the face of Sloan, who has more experience.