Burning Questions for Coach?

I know I'm about to open up the flood gates with this, but as we all know tonight is Coach's show on AM 590, and since the Blue Crew will be there again tonight asking him questions, I thought I'd ask if any of you had any burning questions for him that you might want us to throw out there.

Please try and keep them simple for me!

two questions:

1. earlier in the season coach soderberg stated that his recruiting focus was all inside players for the rest of this upcoming recruit class. he would try to find a power forward that could start for the billikens next year, i.e. be good enough to surpass, johnson, obi or the the four guard lineup, the other would be more of a long term project center. is that focus still the same or has it changed and now he would get another wing that can shoot?

2. the above stated, without naming names, are we close to fulfilling our recruiting wants?

I would like to know about JJ? What is the direct cause of his lack of floor time. He didn't play at all Sat. However, He played major minutes very well agaist Gonzaga, Iowa, and NC. We've all heard they don't see eye to eye. Let's hear about it live on the radio from the horses mouth.

Ask him if he has incorporated each players talent into his style of play? Afterall the guys were recruited because of their talent, and is it hard trying to fit their talents into his style of basketball? (lack of trapping, less fast breaks and drives to the hole)Will he make any adjustments to his coaching style?

We actually asked him that question last week. He basically said--if my memory serves me correctly--that the reason they've slowed down some was because of the fact that many of the teams that they are playing this year do not allow us to play that type of offense. They have to be tighter and more on point...too many things can go wrong when you are constantly fast-paced.

a couple of questions for Coach Soderberg.....

1) how much of being a good defensive player is the physical side versus the mental toughness side?

2) anything surprise you about the A-10 teams that you have played thus far?

3) next year, would you rather player with an average power forward or with a second above-average small forward?

i was at a girls freshman basketball game. so does someone have a summary of brad's show tonite on questions and answers?

a couple of callers mentioned they didn't see the value of playing AD. Brad listened and then basically told them both that AD will play because he brings a veteran's toughness to what otherwise would be a young and soft team.

a caller wanted DP to play more at AD expense. Brad likes DP, particularly when the other team wants to play a fast-paced game. But if the other team goes zone....Brad stated DP was 6-42 from 3, and that wouldn't work.

a caller stated SLU should be in the MVC. Brad stated the MVC is doing really well, but historically the A-10 has received significantly more NCAA bids. Soderberg likes the A-10 because of the comparative academics, which wouldn't be there if SLU played in the Valley.

mentioned KL as being a complete bball player and stated TL had a really high upside, particularly if he improves his outside shot.

addressed a question about playing IV and BH at the same time. While it would be interesting to try (if the other team had two equally large bigs)he was concerned that guarding a power forward might be difficult for either BH or IV. Likewise, Soderberg thought it would take IV to far away from the rim, where he is at his best.

looking forward to getting DMcG in next year as he is a good 3pt shooter. Recruiting wise, looking for a power forward who can shoot the 3. Also would welcome an experienced transfer post-player if a good one was out there. Sounded as if he felt good about those on SLU's recruiting list and felt they were getting close on a couple of players. Stated again that he likes to have that one last scholarship in case a real recruiting opportunity came up.

I missed the last five minutes....possible someone else can add-on or clarify what I heard.

I continue to be amazed as to how patient Soderberg is with some callers and how indepth he is with answers.

concerning IV and BH. It would also open up room for IV as you would have to check BH with your tallest player. IV has proven he has some offensive skills away from the basket, now defensively he may have a point. Sometimes though I wish we would worry about how they would guard us rather than how we would guard them

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

> addressed a question about playing IV and BH at the same

>time. While it would be interesting to try (if the other

>team had two equally large bigs)he was concerned that

>guarding a power forward might be difficult for either BH or

>IV. Likewise, Soderberg thought it would take IV to far

>away from the rim, where he is at his best.

This is one of the things I dislike about Brad's approach. Brad will only try to play the two bigs if it is intended to counteract the opponent's strategy. Why not take the offensive and force the opponent to find a way to match up with our height advantage?

most A-10 teams have had undersized athletic 4 men.....

they would blow by Bryce or Ian if they took them outside....Mallon from St. Joe's took Ian outside and burned us...

are you thinking that Bryce would exploit them offensively???

guards would be stripping him like crazy...

Bryce is more like Kenny Brown than Ian Vouyoukas in ballhandling...but he is a decent shooter.

>This is one of the things I dislike about Brad's approach.

>Brad will only try to play the two bigs if it is intended to

>counteract the opponent's strategy. Why not take the

>offensive and force the opponent to find a way to match up

>with our height advantage?

I think this is exactly why we always play to the level of our competition. Regardless of the IV/BH thing, we never seem to go out there and play our game. We seem to always be on the defensive...let's stop them, not make them stop us. I think this is the reason for our lack of confidence. If our main concern is how to stop them and not making them stop us, that means the other team is better than us....right? At least, that would be how I felt as a player.

Obviously we need to have a game plan. Obviously we need to put together a defensive plan to stop the other team. But, do we need to do that at the risk of stalling our own game? I think we have the talent to take some risks...

your point extends what i have thought about our always matching up to the opponent not them match up to us and them to playing to our competition's level, i think that follows to at least a certain degree

-also goes to Broy's point about UB being a very strong willed person..not sure we will see a chnage in this

-someone, maybe a poster via blue crew thru Ramsay, asked about recruiting and players and the system, does the system change based on the strenthgs/weaknesses of the players or do you just recruit for the system or do you take what you can get and make them play the system, or at least that is what i thoguht the question was, but i got a phone call and did not hear the answer, did anyone as this is very intruiging to me and i should have never answered the phone...need tivo for radio

Speaking of Tivo for radio...I e-mailed KFNS back in October or November. I asked if it was possible to get streaming audio archives of the Brad Soderberg show on their web site. They said that they were working on an entire section of their web site dedicated to SLU coverage. They were going to include archives of the show.

If you go to their web site now, you wouldn't even know that they broadcast our games.