UWM by 7

The Wiz

.... forgot about the change of coaches and an implementation of a new system. That bodes well for the Bills; but can it offset a general overall tendency to not do well on the road. And a lineup stocked with youngsters. Hmmmmmm. We'll see .... this is good news as far as I'm concerned.

shhh ... this is for you only Alumni fan as I was asked to keep this secret, but you are close ... it was the dog groomers wife who is the beautician for Chery'l Levicks dry cleaner who lives next door to a seer.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I think we have a really good chance of winning the UWM game. Winning the SIUC game has definitely given them the confidence to win...at least that's what I think. We have about 10 Blue Crewers going to the game, so we will help them as much as we can (oh, and on that note, has anyone noticed that we are introduced after the players before Soderberg? Yeah 6th man! I didn't know they were going to do that and I think that's really cool).

Also, after the UWM game, I saw FSN interviewing Ian, Tommie, and Kevin...just wondering if anyone had seen anything on that channel about them, and if so, how we were presented.

I watched the FSN MW, Mid-West Sports report which is usually a Rams love-fest but they gave the Billikens about 2 minutes of coverage. They interviewed IV and he did well for a guy who's 2nd language is English. He said if they keep winning they will build a fan base and that their goal this year is to be undefeated at home. They also showed clips of the game and from the clips parts of the Kiel looked empty.

ABomb - first of all we play at Savvis not the Kiel. Second, there was close to 9000 in attendance and still the Savvis looked empty - that is the reason we need to have our own arena that is smaller and on campus. We will always look like nobody is at the game at Savvis. I know when Spoon was here we drew more but realistically those times were not the norm.

cheeseman said, "I know when Spoon was here we drew more but realistically those times were not the norm."

they (the days of mid to upper teens attendance) will be back within a year.

st louis loves a winner and will jump on the wagon.

we already got previous program detractor newpaper columnists coming around. i would have never beleived that we would be getting positive press this season this early.

we have 5 games in 10 days with only one home game. i beleive we can win at least 4 games. of course we could win one as well. but if going into gonzaga we would somehow be 7-2 or 8-1, gonzaga will be the biggest walk up crowd in years.

Let's not forget who invested big-time in Savvis stock:

P-D, 4/2001:

Nancy and Bill Laurie of Columbia, Mo., own the Blues and control the arena, formerly known as Kiel Center.

The Lauries bought the hockey team and the rights to the building from a group of St. Louis companies in 1999, for a reported price of $100 million.

Nancy Laurie is the daughter of James L. "Bud" Walton, co-founder of Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

The Lauries pursued a naming-rights sponsor for the arena to offset operating deficits they pegged at $20 million a year.

Savvis fit the profile of the newest type of naming-rights purchaser: a young, relatively unknown company with a need to establish brand identity.

Robert McCormick, Savvis' chairman and chief executive, said the deal was designed to give it broader name recognition.

"It's the perfect opportunity for us to cement our name in people's heads," he said when the agreement was announced.

[Editor's note: Who knew that McCormick's use of "cement" and "heads" in the same sentence would prove to be so prescient?]

But the deal with Savvis has not paid off as handsomely as the Blues expected.

The Lauries agreed to take 750,000 shares of the company's stock as partial payment.

When the naming-rights deal was signed on Aug. 17, those shares were worth $7.3 million.

Savvis stock has lost 95.5 percent of its value since, and closed Friday at 43.8 cents a share. At that price, the Lauries' 750,000 shares are worth $328,125.

I met Ian's mom last year at a practice; she's English. His dad, an international banker, is Greek. I'm sure Ian learned both languages in lockstep. After his professional hoops career, I'm sure he'll be a big success in international finance, which I think he's majoring in.

Like Broy, I am an optimist on attendance, but we have to remember that the 8800 SIU att. figure was inflated by somewhere around 1500 SIU fans.(they were everywhere, not just in the SW corner) So we really had about 7000 SLU fans at the game. I believe we will see increasing att. as the year goes along, assuming we continue to play well and win most home games. I am hoping we average 10,000-11000 at our last 6-7 games. That will represent real progress since I believe we continued to drop season ticket holders this year. With a good recruiting class next year and an even better (locally dominated) one the following year (big ifs) I'd hope for next yr to avg. 10,000 and the following year about 11,500.

We're on our way to selling out the Biondi Dome its first year! Local high school stars, get on the bandwagon now!