Is SLU recruiting Leon Powell, Bobby Hill?

VTIME

Thats ridiculous. Bobby and Leon are way taller than you. Stand next to them. Bobby is well over 6'5. And Leon is at least 6'6. If you even looked at Leon Powell next to the 6'8 Tyler Hansborough in the title game, you would've seen that all Hansborough had on him was maybe an inch and a whole lot of bulk. Bobby HIll dwarfs Johnny. Bobby Hill is taller than Alex Barnett and they put him on Barnett to shut him down and he held him to 2 for 28 shooting. No one is boosting there heights. Try these links http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&c...me=Hill&yr=2006

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&c...=Powell&yr=2007

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no problem selling to V players. The problem is when the V has a player that is truly D1 and has the grades to qualify, Floyd has tended to steer them away. Polk as I said was gotten by going directly to the parents. Brad has been here 3 years and he has recruited one V player the others we talked about already - Muse, Gordon were not academically qualified to go to SLU. Enough said about all of this - Vtime, we want the V players that want to come to SLU, meet the academic requirements, and fit our needs. I think we will see that Brad is watching the V very closely.

I would be shocked if Coach Soderberg did not know about any Vashon players on their current roster who could help SLU get to the Big Dance. If the couple players on Vashon's roster are D-1 prospects and could attain the academics necessary to get into SLU then I gotta believe Coach will recruit them.

I was surprsied he recruited Polk, seeing as though he didnt put up big numbers in high school. That showed that Soderberg knew what he was doing. I think Polk will make Mizzou regret dropping him when he sustained the knee injury his junior season. He was ranked as a top 50 sophomore after 2002 season. A rare four year starter at Vashon. Another rare 4 year starter at Vashon is junior pg James Washington. He's started since day 1, but I dont see SLU biting on him since they have so many guards already in place.

On the Muse question, he is at Mineral Area juco. I saw him play against 3rivers this past season. Great game. Although I don't think he makes the grades for SLU, he was a machine in the paint. He dunked about everything he had his hands on. The coach tells me he's getting major D1 looks: Texas, Fresno, on and on.

There's a 6 foot 9 Jackson Kid that's pretty impressive as well.

VTime, Coach Soderberg has been following Powell and Bobby Hill for two years.

There is a huge basketball world out there. The bball world is bigger than Vashon and the metro area.

Capable players from the US, Canada, across all of Europe, Africa, Australia and South America, etc.

Personally, I don't care where we get quality players from.... as long as they can play, are legitimate college students, and good citizens. When I want to see local kids play, I go to a local high school game! Just one man's opinion.

Vtime, I am a casual follower of the V, but try to see them every chance I get, usually if no where else, UMSL in the state quarters.

Where were the V fans in supporting DPolk last year?

The kid started all but 1 game last year and I sure didn't see a change in the fan base at SLU games.

Perhaps it is just 'Vtime', watch them play at Vashon but not when they play with another jersey in college.

And I'll give you a potential out, SLU sucked last year from a record standpoint (as well as other aspects) and perhaps does not play a brand of basketball easy for some to watch.

Does it bother anybody how well SIU-Carbondale does with the players SLU passes over. Or does it bother anybody how SMS keeps beating SLU with players SLU passed over. Stop letting the Randal Falker's and Grant Agbo's walk away for Ian Voyoukas and Bryce Husak. What about a Mike Strobbe.

i think you can be arrested for insinuating that curtis muse and tyler hansborough are even close in anything to do with basketball other than the pre-game introductions where they are both announced as centers.

http://slubillikens.collegesports.com/spor.../111304aaa.html

you mean the likes of the grant agbo that was 1-6 with 0 rebs vs the billikens in 26 minutes in the truman game last year.

you need to really get a clue about the level of play most of the st louis high school "stars" are at.

romar wanted dan badly. however they made it known it was a package deal or no deal. i applaud romar for not caving to a "package deal". strangely, mike only lasted a year at valpo and then left there for TRUMAN STATE where he is extremely average at that level let alone a cusa/a-10 team. as i stated above, you need to get a clue about the college ability of the average st louis area high school players. if slu takes all these players you are clamouring for, i guess we would be able to play divison II with truman state and umsl.

Roy,

Doesn't "VTime" remind you of anyone who used to post on the STLToday.com forums? That's what I was thinking from the first couple posts. And now, after Sanijay Watts and Grant Agbo references, and the hyping up of James Washington, it seems more and more likely.

By the way, Mike Oppland quit the Truman State team after a couple games there.

- Nate

Why not cave to a package deal for a player the caliber of Dan Oppland? Package deals happen all the time. Kansas had to take Michael Lee in order to get Aaron Miles. Mizzou had to take Jeffrey Ferguson to get Robert Whaley. Schools do this all the time. If you covet a player high enough you do what is necessary. Mike Oppland is still a good ball player. 6'6 with great shooting range. He could put up the production of a Chris Sloan type player. Congratulations to Dan Oppland. Monster numbers. Good luck to Mike. He's still a good player who has lost his way and when his brother play professionally he'll be well taken care of.

>

>Why not cave to a package deal for a player the caliber of

>Dan Oppland? Package deals happen all the time. Kansas had

>to take Michael Lee in order to get Aaron Miles. Mizzou had

>to take Jeffrey Ferguson to get Robert Whaley. Schools do

>this all the time. If you covet a player high enough you do

>what is necessary. Mike Oppland is still a good ball

>player. 6'6 with great shooting range. He could put up the

>production of a Chris Sloan type player. Congratulations to

>Dan Oppland. Monster numbers. Good luck to Mike. He's

>still a good player who has lost his way and when his

>brother play professionally he'll be well taken care of.

The Whaley and Ferguson package deal??? LOL! Yeah, that's the kind of combo SLU would want. You're undermining your credibility and starting to really make an a$$ of yourself.

Dont understand that attitude, but I'll ignore that. I would like to see Justin Johnson get some more minutes next season. At 6-8 and a good frame he should be able to contribute at the pf position both on the inside and the outside. He has a nice shooting touch. Hopefully he wont get suspended from the team again. Can we stop getting these JUCO transfers and just pick up local stars. I'd rather lose with players I've heard, than lose with players I havent heard of before. Doesnt SLU get tired of losing to teams like SIU,SEMO,and SMS with local players that SLU passed over. Didnt SLU almost lose to UMSL with players that they passed. I dont know why SLU didnt recruit Jonathan Griffin or Troy Slaten. I dont know why they let Arthur Clair get away too.

>Dont understand that attitude, but I'll ignore that. I

>would like to see Justin Johnson get some more minutes next

>season. At 6-8 and a good frame he should be able to

>contribute at the pf position both on the inside and the

>outside. He has a nice shooting touch. Hopefully he wont

>get suspended from the team again. Can we stop getting

>these JUCO transfers and just pick up local stars. I'd

>rather lose with players I've heard, than lose with players

>I havent heard of before. Doesnt SLU get tired of losing to

>teams like SIU,SEMO,and SMS with local players that SLU

>passed over. Didnt SLU almost lose to UMSL with players

>that they passed. I dont know why SLU didnt recruit

>Jonathan Griffin or Troy Slaten. I dont know why they let

>Arthur Clair get away too.

Whaley/Ferguson??? LOL! Fool!

Troy Slaten??? LOL!

Slaton is playing for UMSL and you are an imbecile. I hope we continue to recruit QUALITY local recruits. Perhaps you've heard of Kevin Lisch, Tommie Liddell, Luke Meyer, Dwayne Polk, Dustin Mcguire. I maybe forgetting someone. What position do you see Troy starting at for SLU?