Is SLU recruiting Leon Powell, Bobby Hill?

VTIME

problack, you chose to live in a very small world when it comes to area bball, but that's your right and choice.

To think that SLU should take NAIA or D2-D3 college basketball players, just because they played local high school bball, is so unrealistic,imo it diminishes your potential contributions to any board. But again, that your choice.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate on a serious note, I need you to email me about an opportunity. As I near graduation I want to explore my interest in sports journalism. Could you email me ASAP so I can discuss with you some of the steps you took to achieve your status and some tips you can give to a soon-to-be college graduate.

My email address [email protected].

Thanks Nate

-VTIME

why do you continue to insinuate that slu should have given so and so a shot? the billikens have danny brown, dwayne polk, anthony drejaj, luke meyer, kevin lisch, tommie liddell at the guard spots. coach soderberg will only play 5. i.e. someone already out of that very talented group isnt going to play much next year. very athletic darren clarke saw the writing on the wall and headed out of town. yet you think the billikens should have brought more guards into town to sit on the bench and not play?

also, kevin lisch is at least 6'3" if not 6'4" right now. two inches and far more heart hardly warrants the statement, "Kevin Lisch isnt any close to Matt Lawrence's height".

i think any one of our current guards for next season have the potential to be at least justin love and i am about as big of a justin love fan as there gets.

by the way, mo jeffers the following season after love's graduation was at least as good, and there is no doubt the junior and senior versions of marque perry were better.

if he doesnt have quality bigs to rebound and defend the basket all the good guards in the world cant win by themselves. those bigs dont neccessarily have to be ben wallace and shaq, but they better be able to keep curtis withers from scoring 40 with 25 rebounds every game though.

pro black, as bad as the billikens were last year, purdue may have been worse. i didnt see many top programs rushing to grab price after coach soderberg turned him away. that should be a clue that something wasnt right.

problack, you have to remember that slu is normally a team that is somewhere between top 50 and top 100 in the d-1 ranks as well. i.e. these borderline players you are preaching about might be ok for the bottom 250 schools, but not at slu.

neither perry or jeffers avg 20 ppg like love or led the team to an NCAA tournament birth, what are you guys talking about. Both Perry and Jeffers had solid senior seasons, but the rest of their careers were subpar. Justin Love was an All-Conference caliber player for SLU both years.

Price was a guy SLU wanted out of high school, I dont know what could've changed so drastically in a year's time. Who cares what the other schools did. JR Giddens is available now, but seeing how high on character SLU is I guess they wont be going after him either.

Since you id yourself as Leon Powell in your profile, I assume that is who you are. Leon, two more years of high school at the "V" hardly qualify as "nearing graduation." Keep studying, By the way, re your "sombody has to play D2" comment, yes they do---with very, very few exceptions the guys who get to play D2 are the players who aren't as good as the guys playing D1.

They need to save a scholarship for Curtis Muse in 2006. He added about 15 pounds to his frame so he's about 6'10 225-230. He shot 62.2 percent from the field this season which led the conference and was second in the nation and avg 8 pts and 5 rebounds in a 5 in 5 out substitution pattern system. He played with 2003 All-Metro player of the year Ken Burke and standout Ryan Byrne, younger brother of Shawn Byrne. Muse is the real deal and we need to nab him second time around. If he's not taking a degree that SLU can transfer, why dont they just tell him so he can change it if he needs to. Muse is better than any big man SLU has right now or has coming in. Bring this kid back home SLU.

VTime,

I'm confused a little about the onus being on SLU to tell the juco kids what degree they need to pursue in order to transfer to SLU. Since SLU does not have a PE degree in any form, why don't the jucos major in Business or Communications, two degree programs SLU does have?

I have seen one player recruited coming out of high school, and he was told the various programs that SLU can bring a kid in as a junior. When the kid decided to major in Sports Management, then SLU immediately crossed his name off the recruiting list.

Ofttimes, it is not a lack of interest, but the knowledge that any time spent recruiting a player whose juco degree will not transfer into a SLU program is a total waste of time and resources, which kills the recruiting process.

problack, i know kevin personally and have stood within inches of him as recent as 3 weeks ago. you are wrong again.

love only averaged 13 ppg as a junior. perry averaged 14 as a junior. as a senior, perry averaged 17 on a team that only scored 60 ppg. love as a senior averaged 18 ppg on a team that scored 65 ppg.

as to jeffers, he did only average 16 as a senior. however, you seem to forget that both as a junior and a senior, jeffers also had to guard the opponents best player night after night. also let's not forget that jeffers is the only one of the three that got drafted by the nba.

you need to do your homework before making statements.

romar wanted price. i dont think that soderberg pursued him much actually. soderberg fell in love with liddell and lisch and obviously envisioned them as his future backcourt a few years ago already. they were the guards he went after and lo and behold, the two guards he got.

imo, liddell and lisch were the right choice if you could only have 2 of the three. i never once saw price outplay either lisch or liddell in any high school matchup and i saw them play many many times in their high school careers.

problack, it isnt slu that dictates muse's juco academic schedule. if he wants to go to slu, i hope he is taking real classes and talking to an academic counselor at his school that can make sure he is taking the right classes.

what classes he would need to transfer to SLU. An academic counselor's role is to ensure that Muse is taking the right courses to attain a JUCO degree. It shouldn't be that person's job to know what Muse's options are and what he needs to take to transfer to specific colleges.

Who knows? If Brad is interested in Muse, he might have already done that.

Jeffers was drafted, but Love is the one who made it through training camp with the Suns. You're not going to convince me that Jeffers was better than Love. What did Jeffers avg as a junior, like 4pts. He had one good year. I like Mo Jeffers, but he's wasnt better than Love.