Guard rotation for next year

cheeseman

I know this seems like an early question but Brad raised it in my mind with his end of the game comments last night. He said that with Reggie out sick DC got to play because he moved up from the 6 guard to the 5th. With RB back what happens to DC - make to the pine? Clearly he showed he can play - whether it was a one time thing or not only time will tell. My question is next year you have DB,AD,DP,TL and KL - that is 5 where does DC fit again? or does he beat out DB or AD? DB has had some decent games but the last couple he has really been turnover prone.

well, as some have mentioned, Danny Brown may vie for time at the 3 position. Him and Meyer can both take on that roll in my opinion so next year that really leaves us with 5 guards(Dwayne, Kevin, Tommie, Anthony, Darren) for two spots. Ian and Bryce as big men, VN as a 4 and that makes 10 players already. One more good power forward and the lineup is pretty much set.

I would like to apologise to Drejaj. I have been ragging on him for weeks. We would not have won last night without his play. When things got frantic in the second half, AD had the toughness to step up and take the 3 pt. shot and take the ball to the hole for a layup. That said I would like him to be the 5th guard in my five man rotation, especially if Clark is in the rotation. I think Clark can play some point. Based on last night Brown would be the odd man out.

i believe that when brad says he is using a 5 guard rotation, he is saying that for the point and both of the wings. i.e. polk, lisch, liddell, drejaj, clarke, brown and meyer will vie for the 5 man rotation he is talking about. imo, the starters will be polk, lisch and liddell so that leaves 4 for the other 2 spots.

but we havent had the opportunity to bring in the likes of liddell and lisch at the same time either. right now, if a 5 man rotation is a given for the 3 guard/wing spots, i dont see how drejaj is a part of that mix. but keep in mind, this is one tough kid. i wouldnt count him out of it either.

imo the most talented players on the billiken team this second are reggie bryant and izik. yet both have been sent to the bench. so i dont think that your assumption is entirely true. now if you are talking about potential or raw talent, then reggie and izik might not be the answer to the question.

Why would some of you think that AD drops out given he is playing this year - would you think that DB and DC improve enough to pass him? I find the whole thing rather confusing to try to sort out. I hate to see DC - if he continues like he did last night - or DB riding the pine again but then what do you do with AD? I appreciate AD's play last night but given what he has done this year I ask the question - was that what we can really expect from him or was that just a special moment for him? How many turnovers did he have? - I think maybe 4?

someone will have to drop out assuming brad sticks with 5 guards for 3 positions. only bryant is leaving and lisch and liddell are coming in. if you believe that either lisch and/or liddell wont play you are smoking something. they would be the best two players on this team this year right now.

Star I don't think it is unusual at all for a senior to be passes up and end up on the bench. My statement earlier was a quote from Brad. Of course it's possible that Drejaj improves dramatically but I expect him to play like a Ross Varner. When things are going bad he will be put into games.

Here's what we have so far

5 - a. Ian, b. Husak

4 - a. Newbourne, b. JJ

3 - a. Liddell, b. Brown/Meyer

2 - a. Lisch, b. Clarke/Brown

1 - a. Polk, b. Drejaj, c. Liddell

Will we score enough next year relying heavily on freshmen? Will any of the returning players improve dramatically? Will Liddell start at the 3? Will we rebound well enough? Who will the last two mystery recruits be? Will Brad be willing to start two freshmen? Will we be more up-tempo?

Seems like alot of people are expecting these two freshman next year to step in and either start or get alot of minutes. Should we really expect so much right away from them when neither have played even one second of D1 college ball? I admit I have never seen them play but I have watched enough college ball to know that recruits don't always live up to the hype. Especially their freshman years.

while i dont expect either one to be larry hughes, i will be shocked if they both dont exceed other prominent freshmen that have started for slu in the past 20 years. i truly think that both will be our best two players next year. now if you want me to predict numbers, maybe barely double figures would be realistic. our overall scoring will be far more balanced next year than in anytime in awhile as i expect polk and vouyoukas to both be around that level as well.

to know that if Lisch and Liddell aren't good enough to beat out our current group of guards we are in for another very long season. Our only hope right now is that those guys DO live up to the hype. Otherwise we are looking at another season with fewer than 10 wins.

5- Ian Bryce

4- Meyer, VN, JJ

3-Liddell, Meyer, DB

2- Lisch, DB

1-Polk, Liddell, AD

We would really do a disservice to not start 4 guards as long as we dont get killed on rebounding. If VN starts then he brings some rebouding but does anyone ever realize where he catches the ball in the offense. He catches it outside the arc. I would rather have LM catch it out there so he can drive or dish or even pull up. Having LM and KL roaming the arc will free up the middle for TL and DP to drive. Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Or would we get killed defensively and on the boards too much?

We really wont know until we try

it is my opinon that we will not win with 4 guards in the game. it is also my opinion (or hope) that our starting pf is not a billiken yet.