New Lineup--AP Article

davidnark

From the AP Article on the SLU Game:

St. Louis got off to a fast start with its two leading scorers, guard Reggie Bryant and forward Izik Ohanon, on the bench. It was the latest lineup tweak by coach Brad Soderberg, who has been trying to salvage a disappointing season.

"Really what it's about is between me and my team," Soderberg said. "I don't think it would be right to share my reasons for the lineup change for the same reason that I expect our players to keep what's said in the locker room, in the locker room."

Soderberg gave freshman forward Luke Meyer his first start and Vas'Shun Newborne started in place of Ohanon. He said he'd stick with the lineup for now.

I know you have pointed that out several times, but how each player's performance at West Pine translates to Wednesday nights and weekend afternoons better mean something. If it doesn't, then Brad is doing a disservice to his team and its fans.

SLU came out today and played a competitive game against a good DePaul team. If this is due in part to Brad's decision to start younger players, then so be it.

I hope that the coaching staff recruits players to offset the rebounding disparity that occurred in today's game.

Jeez, you can't spell bum? Interesting that UB starts a whole new lineup a day after he tells Stu, I'm sticking with the seniors. Wonder what happened in those 24 hours? Very promising game. DePaul's most likely a dance team and we played them well. The disparity in offensive rebound is disturbing as we give them 11 extra chances to score over us. Again, I don't get JJ not playing more than VN, but am sure UB has his reasons. Hopefully DP is now going to regain some confidence. Watched the Charlotte-UC game on ESPN. Man that's the way I hope we play someday. Great ball game. And Pavolich's 3 pt shooting was a sight to behold. No hesitation just BANG and SWISH. The chords were on fire.

slu72...you and I are wondering the same thing about what was written and appeared in Stu's preview of the game on Sunday and what actually happened when the starting lineups were announced...a complete contradiction to say the least.

Frankly, I cannot say that it was disappointing as this season has been lost for a long time. It's time to see what these young players bring to the table for next year. The fact that JJ did not receive more minutes should be an indication that he isn't giving Coach Soderberg what he wants to see from the young man. I would think that if we bring in a kid at the 4 with any promise then Justin will find a deeper place on the pines for next year...time will tell but the signs don't look good for him.

I think many of you are missing the point Brad was making both in his actions and in his comments. He said,"I expect our players to keep what's said in the locker room, in the locker room."

Hello Reggie/brehms13 and any other players who really do talk to brehms13, although I find her numerous references to talking to players after the game, and getting all this insight from these players, to be a bit incredulous.

My point is her comments on this Board, despite her protestations of innocence to the contrary, have had a disruptive influence on this TEAM, NOT because she posted negative comments on a message board, but rather because her negative comments were allegedly coming from a player on the team. If in fact Reggie feels as his sister posts, then he needs to work those issues out within the framework of the team and not have his complaints aired by his sister on a booster message board. I know only Billikan agrees with me on this point, but as I said a couple of days ago, I don't want to see anymore "inside info" from Reggie thru his sister.

Brehms13, you would help the team more, if you really are interested in helping the team, by encouraging your brother to play both ends of the court.

I know BH's dad and TF's dad regularly visit and sometimes post on this board. I appreciate the two of you not feeling the need to give us the "inside scoop" on any internal team matters.

i seriously doubt that reggie and izik were benched because brehms posts on our board.

now if they had a disagreement with the coaches at the saturday practice, and that turned into some sort of argument in the lockerroom, i could believe that changed things up.

"but rather because her negative comments were allegedly coming from a player on the team"

Dude, I don't know if you're illiterate or just choose to ignore certain statements, but Brehms has said on multiple occasions that she is NOT quoting the team or a member of the team. She makes her comments bases on her own opinions and observations. Then you go on to insinuate that she is trying to HURT the team by saying things on this board...ludicrous. Do you think this was some sort of hint for Brehms not to discuss things on this board? Brad's a classy guy, if he didn't like what he sees, he would address the issue. Not make some obscure comment in the paper and hope people get the hint.

No maybe I'm wrong. Steve...please shut this board down ASAP because we apparently have caused this team to lose. Why were at it, let's stop all interviews and stories about the team. We must coddle our players and coaches so much that all public observations and comments must cease immediately.

I have made my opinion clear to those at SLU in my opinion.

If there is something on the board that they do not like, they should feel free to contact me.

When I first met Brad, I asked him if he was aware of this site. He said he wasn't (this was in his first year as HC), and that he doesn't read internet boards or whatnot because they never help him or the team.

This may not be the case anymore. But I believe my policy is clear. I do know that Reggie knows that brehms posts, but I know little more than that "yes he knows" aspect.

I personally enjoy having brehms post, and encourage her to continue. If SLU is worried about what people are saying on this board, I hope that they would come to me or post on the board itself.

I know that people at SLU read the board. However, I have never had anyone directly at SLU admit that they read the board directly to me. I know a lot of he said she said that person reads the board. But no one has come to me. The closest that I have had is someone telling me that something on the site was incorrect (something I put on the main site). Another person asked me to post something on Billikens.com. But no admission that SLU reads the board.

If they have a problem with stuff being posted, I hope that they would come to me.

Steve

I have no problem with Brad changing his mind about who starts or not - his change of thought probably has nothing do with any secretative problem that happened in practice. I think Brad is trying to be reflective on what is happening and I do think he is a bit confused that what he thinks should be working is not - we all have days at the office like that. It could be as simple as after he talked with Stu that he kept thinking about the situation and finally realized that a change is what was needed. It could also be that after practice when they worked on beating the press that he saw no improvement on the orginal starting 5 and realized that he had to make a change finally. I am sorry but I was glad to see it - I have been calling for something like this for some time now. Now as far as Brehms comments - that had nothing to do with the change. She has said these things before and it never caused Brad to change things. Brad, may only have been commenting about keeping things in the locker room just to make sure everyone understands that the team has to support each other in good and bad times. As far as JJ not getting more minutes - if he was not putting out in practice, he would not get any playing time. VN played because Brad thinks his defense is better - but his rebounding is killing us.

I feel that Brad overall has been a good coach. A pack defense and motion offense can win at SLU and I think that we will win in the future. A year like this has shaken my confidence somewhat. One problem that I have had with him is that he needs to understand that the Media and boosters are part of being a DI Head Coach. His comments in the article only add to speculation and we probably blow something minor into a major issue. The season before this one I happened to be in town on the "Midday madness" which was a good idea. I played Brad in pop-a-shot basketball which he stayed at the entire time. I think he did so because he didn't really want to have to talk to anyone. He didn't say anything to me. I didn't see him walk around talk to anyone, mingle, press the flesh, whatever. You have to be able to work it some. Lorenzo was great with students he once played wiffle ball with some guys in the Quad and would go to Gries cafeteria to drum up students to attend the game. Spoon would work the St. Louis minor celebrity circuit in town. Which would you prefer of those three to help raise money for an arena? I think Brad comes in 3rd on that vote. I went to an OU Sooner Coaches caravan once in Oklahoma not because I am a fan but because I just wanted to see how it went. Kelvin Sampson, Bob Stoops, and Sherri Coale were all personable and all spoke. That is big time athletics. We need Brad to loosen up and work the media somemore. Work the room at a SLU function get people to want to support you with their money to get that new arena, get those recruits and get some wins.

I have to say I agree.

One thing that Karl Hobbs does at GW is show his appreciation of the fans. It is the biggest deal in the world when he walks out on that court. I personally think he is not the greatest floor coach that I have seen, but he can sure work the crowd. I haven't seen him play wiffle ball on our University Yard, but I honestly wouldn't put it past him. Look, GW is not the greatest team, we are very comparable to SLU. But still, the students are showing up. I only have to walk 2 blocks to get to my arena. But when Karl Hobbs looks up into the crowd, he pumps his fist and after every game he gets on the microphone and talks to the crowd/radio show. People stay and listen, and he thanks the fans everygame. It is a lot more special that a pre-game recorded message from the coach.

Brad is almost too nose to the Grindstone sometimes. I cannot imagine him trying to pump up the crowd. I know it is his job to be a basketball coach. But I think his definition of that job needs to expand some.

Please clarify your intent--"just because she shes something wrong with the coaching staff is not her fault."

In case you are really able to read and understand my posts, my point is not that she disagrees with the Coach, I and many others also disagree with him on certain decisions. My point is that she implies having INSIDE info which is negative in nature and which could only be coming from her brother. However, when challenged on this she backs off from being the well-informed insider and becomes like the rest of us--fans with opinions.

Again my point since most of you did not seem to get it--negative opinions expressed on this Board are NOT harmful to the team since none of us are in the know. However, when someone claiming to be a player's sister (along with being someone who talks to many of the players on a regular basis) posts negative opinions in messages filled with references to having these "insider conversations", THEN I believe it can have a detrimental inpact on the program.

I don't begrudge brehms13 expressing her opinions, only when it appears obvious that those opinions are emanating in the locker room do I think she has crossed the line.

It appears that I am in the real minority on this issue so she should feel welcome to continue to live in a dream world about Reggie's lack of effort/leadership on defense and his inability to get (and make) shots since she thinks at least 3 guys are always guarding him (her words, not mine).

An edit--Burg I took the time to go back and read some of your recent posts and I am wondering why you are home from grade school today? Not feeling well?