Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thought SLU was shooting its way out of the game with a brutal second quarter offensively, but they forced 10 turnovers and are only down 3 at halftime. 

This is the first game I've missed in a while, but I'm very pleased they're only down 3 at half.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billiken defense keeping it somewhat close , but the offense only shooting 26% the 3rd quarter makes it tough. Billikens down 52-40 at the end of three. Improved offensive shooting is a must this quarter.

Just now, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Big oof for the Dayton women 😎

I was at the home game vs Dayton earlier and was surprised how bad they played. We let a big lead evaporate and missed a bunch of FT's late but survived in that one 74-70. Dayton just doesn't have a very good team this year IMO.

4 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I was at the home game vs Dayton earlier and was surprised how bad they played. We let a big lead evaporate and missed a bunch of FT's late but survived in that one 74-70. Dayton just doesn't have a very good team this year IMO.

I was pretty ignorant of Dayton WBB until 2016ish, but jeez they had a 19 year run of really good teams, so it's definitely their turn to be bad. 

24 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I was pretty ignorant of Dayton WBB until 2016ish, but jeez they had a 19 year run of really good teams, so it's definitely their turn to be bad. 

Coach Shauna Green had  a good run such that she was lured away to brighter lights. I'm too lazy to look it up where she went, but I think the program is probably trying to rebuild.

ETA Green to Illinois.

31 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Coach Shauna Green had  a good run such that she was lured away to brighter lights. I'm too lazy to look it up where she went, but I think the program is probably trying to rebuild.

ETA Green to Illinois.

Williams-Jeter looked like a great hire, I'm shocked at how far Dayton has fallen.

Had to miss the game due to family, just saw the replay. Question: why don’t we have dogs doing tricks with frisbees during our halftime? They showed some of the Dayton halftime, and I gotta say love the dogs…

53 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Interesting stat from Max Sports, guess who is leading the state of Illinois in made 3pters among girls basketball players? SLU committed recruit MIA Bergstrom from St Viator in Arlington Heights, IL with 101. Next highest is someone with 79.

Perennial A10 Champions here we come 😎

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Interesting stat from Max Sports, guess who is leading the state of Illinois in made 3pters among girls basketball players? SLU committed recruit MIA Bergstrom from St Viator in Arlington Heights, IL with 101. Next highest is someone with 79.

Kind of sounds like a microcosm of women's basketball. One player at the top and a huge mess of players 2 levels below. 

66-58 loss to Davidson. This game was ours to take, we managed to take 62 FGA’s to only 44 for Davidson, won the TO battle 21-15, so defense was good, but we only shot 36/17/92. Brooklyn Gray was our leading scorer with 15 pts on 7-15 shooting, but Kyla McMakin was 3-17 and Peyton Kennedy 3-11.  Have to be more efficient on offense.  Telecast kept getting cut off, but give Davidson credit, they at least filled up the commercial breaks with something other than dead air.

10 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Parker is back, Ez is as good as we could  have hoped. We are a team that should be getting better, and we aren't.

Both the men’s and women’s seasons are extremely disappointing and both programs are in sad shape. Except for the flukey 11 game run last year, Tillet’s record is horrendous, something like 15-32. Ford has to be fired and next year’s women’s team is currently devoid of talent. May and Oberle have to go.

17 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Both the men’s and women’s seasons are extremely disappointing and both programs are in sad shape. Except for the flukey 11 game run last year, Tillet’s record is horrendous, something like 15-32. Ford has to be fired and next year’s women’s team is currently devoid of talent. May and Oberle have to go.

I think if Tillett doesn't get to the tournament and win the A-10 Tournament last year, we'd be having a different conversation. This season is for sure disappointing, but I think she gets one or two more seasons to recruit and coach up before anything happens. May's standard for the women's coaching change was to "make the NCAA tournament regularly." I'd prefer an AD who actually gives the resources for a women's team to do that. Women's basketball is on the upswing and now having a good women's team can be nearly as important as having a good men's team. 

cgeldmacher likes this

Lisa Stone got job because Majerus recommended her and backed it, so May had to hire her and it worked out ok. 100% Dan Rolfes would’ve taken SLU job, however a hire like that intimidates Chris May and this is the result. May has to get all the credit and needs to hire controllable people because of his insecurity. Honestly I say let Chris May do a huge national search for a new wbb and mbb coach and the candidates he doesn’t like that’s who gets the jobs. Always take the opposite opinion of May and SLU will be next Gonzaga. We’ve been looking at everything so wrong all these years. Just need to know what we are dealing with! 

AGB91 and billikenbill like this

59 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

You can’t exaggerate how truly bad May and Oberle are at their jobs. Like if two people got together and wanted to intentionally sabotage an athletic program, they wouldn’t do as good of a job as these two, who would both pass a lie detector test believing they do great work and can’t be replaced. They have to have pictures of Fred or Chaifetz, that is the only reason I can believe they are kept around, not just for their pretty faces. Place is a disaster. 

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, slu92 said:

Honestly I say let Chris May do a huge national search for a new wbb and mbb coach and the candidates he doesn’t like that’s who gets the jobs.

This would be so great to watch May invest time and money and not get a say in any of the decisions.

Women's team - you have to give the coach at least 3 -4 years to build their program especially if the team was really down like ours was when she came in.

May and his entourage can stay - saves some money - but you can't let him hire the new coach - he can be on a small committee (3-4) but his vote carries no more power than the others.  After the new coach is hired you can start to ease him out.  The problem with getting rid of him now is that by the time you hire a new AD you will miss the window for a decent men's team hire.  At this point you neuter him and let him take care of the day to day stuff and that is really it.  What I am afraid of is that he hamstrung us with the Champion Center since we owe a bunch on that.