Rule Changes for 2023-24

-from CBSSports -- my favorite might be the peacekeeper  -- what's an optional rule?

-I wonder if the video to the bench and the lose a timeout if asking for out of bounds review are related? will this change how replays are shown to the fans in the stands? I hope so

-wasn't aware that an offensive rebound got other than a 20 second shot clock

The NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee on Thursday approved several rule changes including a modification to the legal guarding position on block/charge scenarios involving defenders around the basket which will go into effect for the 2023-24 season. Under the new rule, a defender to draw a change must be in position at the time an offensive player plants a foot to go airborne to attempt a field goal. If the defender arrives after the offensive player plants a foot to launch towards the hoop, officials will be coached to call a block if or when contact occurs.

• An optional rule will allow for preloaded/live video to be transmitted to the bench area. This has been an experimental rule for the past two years. 
  • Officials will be able to review goaltending/basket interference calls during the next media timeout to ensure the calls were accurate, as long as the official calls it on the floor. If there is a foul on the shooter while the ball is in the air with a goaltend/basket interference, the review would be immediate to properly adjudicate the potential free throws.
  • Bench personnel who are not students will be allowed to serve as peacekeepers when an altercation occurs.
  • Under two minutes, when a coach requests an out-of-bounds play be reviewed, that team will be charged a timeout if the original call is not overturned.
  • Anytime the ball hits the rim and the offense retains possession in the front court, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds. 
  • If a player is called for a foul and instant replay officials see that the foul is a direct result of a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 foul against the player who was originally assessed a foul, officials will be allowed to remove the foul on the player who was flagrantly fouled.
  • A timeout will be able to be granted when a player has possession of the ball even though the player is airborne. (An example would be a player grabbing a loose ball and calling timeout before landing out of bounds.)
  • If a player commits three flagrant 1 fouls in a game, the player will be disqualified from the game.
  • Players will be allowed to wear numbers 0-99.
  • Schools will no longer have to submit a waiver for players to wear religious headwear, provided it is safe for competition.
  • Red and amber lights will be allowed on the backboard.  

Additionally, the NCAA also voted to put into effect two experimental rule changes to take place for the 2023-24 season -- one of which is a previously-approved experimental rule and the other being an NIT-only change. The NIT rule, which will widen the lane to 16 feet, will now go to the NIT Board for approval.

• To continue the experimental rule with the standard media timeout format in the second half (first dead ball under 17 minutes, 14, 11, eight and four) for any interested conference, as well as in the National Invitation Tournament. 
  • In the NIT, widening the lane to 16 feet. 

-link to story - https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-approves-change-to-determining-block-or-charge-calls-and-other-rule-modifications-for-upcoming-season/

billiCAN likes this

Players couldn't have numbers 6,7,8 and or 9...this was so the refs could use 1 hand to signal fouls ... 

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am once again asking for the NCAA to call a foul on the second player to a loose ball on the floor. 

That rule will be put into place after a star for one of the blue bloods gets hurt from a guy diving on top of someone. 

7 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

What was the rule on this before? 

Many years ago, players were allowed only to have numbers up to 5, with a second digit also up to 5.  That allowed the refs to signal whom a foul was on with one motion of both hands.  So a ref could signify 55 with both hands all digits up. No second indicator was needed.  Now with numbers up to 9, that can't be done anymore.

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Many years ago, players were allowed only to have numbers up to 5, with a second digit also up to 5.  That allowed the refs to signal whom a foul was on with one motion of both hands.  So a ref could signify 55 with both hands all digits up. No second indicator was needed.  Now with numbers up to 9, that can't be done anymore.

Actually, many years before THAT, the ref would signal with ONE hand. So 55 would be a quick flash of all five fingers, twice. At least that's what I remember from high school. I think college was the same way.

On the 20 second reset of the shot clock, I thought that's how it was being done already. What did I miss?

HoosierPal likes this

20 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am once again asking for the NCAA to call a foul on the second player to a loose ball on the floor. 

-I agree with a foul on players diving on top of other players, I am surprised not more injuries in these scrums, just diving on the floor and grabbing the ball is fine with me

15 hours ago, dlarry said:

That rule will be put into place after a star for one of the blue bloods gets hurt from a guy diving on top of someone. 

-I agree and this may have to take place in the tourney

33 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I agree with a foul on players diving on top of other players, I am surprised not more injuries in these scrums, just diving on the floor and grabbing the ball is fine with me

-I agree and this may have to take place in the tourney

Once a player has any semblance of possession of the ball they need to be treated like a player upright and dribbling/holding the ball. Right now they are almost free game for anyone to jump on them.

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Once a player has any semblance of possession of the ball they need to be treated like a player upright and dribbling/holding the ball. Right now they are almost free game for anyone to jump on them.

That’s actually very reasonable. I’m also surprised more injuries don’t happen during these

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I was always told that it was a time saver.  The ref could signal the call from across the court to the scorers table and this allowed the game to continue much more quickly.  Now, refs will have to be practically leaning over the scorers table every time they call a foul.  I suppose that the NCAA isn't as concerned about keeping the game flowing as it used to be.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was always told that it was a time saver.  The ref could signal the call from across the court to the scorers table and this allowed the game to continue much more quickly.  Now, refs will have to be practically leaning over the scorers table every time they call a foul.  I suppose that the NCAA isn't as concerned about keeping the game flowing as it used to be.

Couldn’t they use a headset, or some other way of communicating who the foul is on?

It use to be years ago if you dived for the ball and slid on the court with the ball it was considered walking.  Since they have allowed this to change the other players now think they have the right to jump on top.  You would think there would be more shoulder injuries from this.

7 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Actually, many years before THAT, the ref would signal with ONE hand. So 55 would be a quick flash of all five fingers, twice. At least that's what I remember from high school. I think college was the same way.

On the 20 second reset of the shot clock, I thought that's how it was being done already. What did I miss?

On the 20 second clock reset, I think the old rule was the ball had to touch the rim on a field goal or free throw attempt. I guess what they’re changing is if the ball is deflected from a pass and it hits the rim, the clock will reset if the offensive team retains possession. From reading the previous rule, that’s the only difference I see.