GDT: Davidson; February 15th is my Valentine's Day

SluSignGuy

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Making a run is a loose term typically used when winning at least a singular game when using that in regards to a tournament. I never said sweet 16.  I never said anything other than winning at least 1 game.   Sounds like you guys would be ok with going winless all season as long as you win your Conf tourney and lose right round.  And you know what, that's fine with me too.  But lets hire Meramec's coach to do that and save the program 2.4m per year.

You mentioned Sweet 16 so I thought that was your Billikens run

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, dennis_w said:

pickett has been playing hurt for most of conference play, i think last night showed he is getting well, i guess haters will hate. i enjoyed the win go bills

If that post qualifies me as a “hater” then I guess I’m a hater of anyone I’ve ever mildly criticized.  

Pickett has single-handedly cost this team games within conference play with his head-down bulldozing drives into bigger and stronger defenders, lack of passing, and turnovers.  The team is much better when he’s not on the floor.  There, that’s hating. 

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If that post qualifies me as a “hater” then I guess I’m a hater of anyone I’ve ever mildly criticized.  

Pickett has single-handedly cost this team games within conference play with his head-down bulldozing drives into bigger and stronger defenders, lack of passing, and turnovers.  The team is much better when he’s not on the floor.  There, that’s hating. 

No, that’s just stupidity… 

8 hours ago, Scoop said:

Ease up on Mike Crawford. Kid averaged double digits his last 2 seasons and turned into a pretty good dunker.

Wasn’t meant to be a shot at Crawford. But he would fit in very well on this year’s Davidson team in terms of being perfectly average, while not able to keep up with more athletic players. 

appreciated his hustle and commitment on some really bad teams, but he was best of a bad bunch.  Wouldn’t play much on this year’s team, imo. 

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

No, that’s just stupidity… 

Well I was being intentionally over reactive, but go watch Fordham and VCU and tell me we weren’t worse every time Pickett was on the floor, which was way too much. Surely no one can disagree with that. 

6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Well I was being intentionally over reactive, but go watch Fordham and VCU and tell me we weren’t worse every time Pickett was on the floor, which was way too much. Surely no one can disagree with that. 

Timmerman used to put together an NHL style +/- after every game.  Would be interesting to see where the pluses and minuses stand with the current team…numbers don’t often lie.

4 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Timmerman used to put together an NHL style +/- after every game.  Would be interesting to see where the pluses and minuses stand with the current team…numbers don’t often lie.

Think it’s still kept with the official stats. Anyway, my point was not to sh!t on Javon. He played well last night. I just think it’s reasonable to point out it was against a far inferior team in terms of strength and athleticism, and that that type of play from him isn’t working against most other teams.  And apparently that constitutes hating on Javon. 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

That’s not fair to Pickett.  CF and Yuri put him in that position.  In those games you had a point guard that for some reason didn’t bring the ball up the floor.  Someone had to.  Pickett was put in an unfair situation.  Everyone knows that’s not his strength.  But yet he was forced to do it.

Billikenbooster likes this

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You always want to change the narrative after you’ve been proven wrong… again…

Disagree—and totally agree with Brian STL. Is SLU top 25 this season? No. Top 50? No. Top 75? No. Top 100? Maybe, based on Pomeroy, Sagarin, etc. Is that you’d enough to make the NCAA tourney? No. Good enough to make the NIT? Not likely.

Short of an A10 tourney sweep and NCAA appearance, middling is an apt description for the most veteran team in the A10 this season. If Ford during his job interview said he aspires for fourth place in the A10, does he get the job?

12 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Disagree—and totally agree with Brian STL. Is SLU top 25 this season? No. Top 50? No. Top 75? No. Top 100? Maybe, based on Pomeroy, Sagarin, etc. Is that you’d enough to make the NCAA tourney? No. Good enough to make the NIT? Not likely.

Short of an A10 tourney sweep and NCAA appearance, middling is an apt description for the most veteran team in the A10 this season. If Ford during his job interview said he aspires for fourth place in the A10, does he get the job?

Stop the nonsense, no one is being asked that. The point I made, which all of the so called fans are too embarrassed to acknowledge is whether being in 2nd place is mediocre…. If so, by your standards then any team not in first is mediocre or worse. I’ve never denied being disappointed by the record, I thought this team would be a 5 or 6 loss team. I also thought JP would be a star and Fred Thatch would be providing the toughness and rebounding at the 4 spot. Those things haven’t  happened, but that doesn’t make their record mediocre it makes it disappointing. I get it that all of you short sighted fools want to blow up the team and start over. Have at it, and don’t forget your wallets. The rest of the A10 is thanking you in advance.

It's just so predictable for message board arguments to focus on semantics.

Winning cures all. Everyone is frustrated some voice their displeasure with a coach, player others with those that point it out.

The trends for CTF teams aren't good. The trend is just kinda always be ok with hope for more.  That more never comes.  The season isn't over and if we make the tournament by winning the A10 that'll be a salve unless CTF pulls another Classic CTF NCAA move and we just get embarrassed on National TV in College Basketball's biggest stage.

17 hours ago, dennis_w said:

You mentioned Sweet 16 so I thought that was your Billikens run

I did not. Just was saying this team would need to win a game or more. Oh well, this topic seemed to covered pretty well by everyone, we all know it'll come up again in a few weeks. 

15 hours ago, Slowry said:

That’s not fair to Pickett.  CF and Yuri put him in that position.  In those games you had a point guard that for some reason didn’t bring the ball up the floor.  Someone had to.  Pickett was put in an unfair situation.  Everyone knows that’s not his strength.  But yet he was forced to do it.

The Fordham game was on Ford.  Ford should never have put Pickett in the position to be bringing up the ball on almost every poss. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The Fordham game was on Ford.  Ford should never have put Pickett in the position to be bringing up the ball on almost every poss. 

I still say the thought was to give Yuri a breather.  We've done that a bunch against teams that pressure us full court.  It may not always work but throwing Hughes in to spell Yuri doesn't always work either.  This is another place where we miss Fred a lot.....

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

I still say the thought was to give Yuri a breather.  We've done that a bunch against teams that pressure us full court.  It may not always work but throwing Hughes in to spell Yuri doesn't always work either.  This is another place where we miss Fred a lot.....

Ya this would have been a great spot for Fred.  That said, the first dozen times Pickett brought it up, nothing happened, it was time to mix something up. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Ya this would have been a great spot for Fred.  That said, the first dozen times Pickett brought it up, nothing happened, it was time to mix something up. 

On this we agree.  Waiting for Pickett to initiate the offense will be a long non-productive wait too often.  I actually screamed for Yuri to take over once out of the backcourt on at least one occasion.

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

On this we agree.  Waiting for Pickett to initiate the offense will be a long non-productive wait too often.  I actually screamed for Yuri to take over once out of the backcourt on at least one occasion.

I get Yuri taking a break, but either the game plan was for Yuri to completely remove himself, or Yuri just didn't want the ball.  That was so weird. Back to Pickett- Perkins and parker, maybe even THJ made more sense, they can bring it up and turn into instant offense. Pickett would bring it up, already have 9 seconds off the shot clock, and immediately pass it back to yuri. It was pointless. 

- Take that back, Pickett did bring it up a few times and tried to immediately drive for a bucket. Unfortunately, he was rejected by a defender or the rim every single time.