1818 lounge

wgstl

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

only brings back the same answer.   join the billiken club. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

I think I have said this to you before. Join the Billiken Club. 

What is the minimum donation to join the Billiken Club?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

only brings back the same answer.   join the billiken club. 

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

The Billiken Club boosters chip in far more than 1818 would make by opening to the public pregame. That's why 1818 is reserved for the Billiken Club instead of being open to the public pregame. 

Consolation...ain't there a bar and restaurant on the ground level in Chaifetz? Move the Billiken Club pre-game there. 

Or, move the billiken club underneath or up to a suite. This is how you maximize making money.  Doesn't have to be one or the other. Move things around. 

The program needs to generate as much money as possible from game day activities to pay for the ever growing cost of the men’s basketball program and the other programs that don’t make money.  I am sure SLU has done a cost benefit study and determined that keeping 1818 as a Billiken Club pregame exclusive for men’s home games is more beneficial financially to the program.  

They don’t generate extra money from the sale of drinks because the concession rights have already been sold.  When the current concession rights and building management deals expire, it will probably be something they consider.

Bills By 40 likes this

7 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Got it! Less than I expected. Can you join the Billiken Club if you aren't an Alumni?

I was in the Billiken Club when I was 12.  You can be a member before it is possible to be an Alumni!

I have no strong opinion on this either way but I grew up going to Creighton games. They sell out most (all?) games and maybe I'm biased toward SLU but I don't see their (Creighton's) program as being that much better than ours. The reason they sell out is because it is a social event in town that everyone wants to attend. This is because of the "Bud Light Landing" area where everyone (not just boosters) goes before games and at halftime. Something to consider. I understand as a booster you might feel like you are entitled to some exclusive perks--and I don't really disagree--but something to consider is that the program would benefit from doing things to make SLU games more enticing to casual fans.

1 minute ago, rgbilliken said:

I have no strong opinion on this either way but I grew up going to Creighton games. They sell out most (all?) games and maybe I'm biased toward SLU but I don't see their (Creighton's) program as being that much better than ours. The reason they sell out is because it is a social event in town that everyone wants to attend. This is because of the "Bud Light Landing" area where everyone (not just boosters) goes before games and at halftime. Something to consider. I understand as a booster you might feel like you are entitled to some exclusive perks--and I don't really disagree--but something to consider is that the program would benefit from doing things to make SLU games more enticing to casual fans.

RG, never underestimate the old heads desire to subconsciously keep out new fans.

10 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Got it! Less than I expected. Can you join the Billiken Club if you aren't an Alumni?

you might want to ask the minimum donation level you need to be at to enter the 1818 club prior to the games.   i dont think the $100 and $150 levels get you in.  

I agree with Roy that there needs to be some benefit to Billiken Club membership.

I also agree with 05 that it looks bad that they are excluding people from this location.  To be honest, it is not much of a space anyway.

Solution: I was going to suggest that they create another "Billiken Club" area and then open 1818 to the public.  Then I thought better.  The Fieldhouse is really the only place to hang out and get a beer and some good (really good) bar food before a game.  We might have Humphrey's next year.  Regardless of The Fieldhouse or Humphreys, why not put a place like The Fieldhouse inside of Chaifetz.  If there was a bar and grill to get food and beer and mixed drinks before the game right inside of the arena, I think it would be packed before every game. The Fieldhouse already is.  Obviously, I suggest that it should be open to all.  Then, you could keep the 1818 place for Billiken Club members.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you might want to ask the minimum donation level you need to be at to enter the 1818 club prior to the games.   i dont think the $100 and $150 levels get you in.  

got it. So "Join the Billiken Club" isn't actually the answer then. 25 year old season ticket holder working in a non profit maybe doesn't have $2000 to spare 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

RG, never underestimate the old heads desire to subconsciously keep out new fans.

I don’t normally defend SLU on things like this, but at least from the university point it isn’t about keeping people out.  This is about generating revenue for the program.  What they do now can generate revenue for them and the other only generates revenue for the concession rights holder.  They are making the right choice at this time.

Plus, the area that 1818 is in isn’t large enough to create a Bud Light Landing area.

3star_recruit likes this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There's also a lot of misrepresentation in this thread of what it takes to get into that area. It's not just joining the Billiken Club. The giving level to gain access to the 1818 pregame is well above the base $100-150. It's more like $2000 a year for that privilege.

Sheeeeeeeeeeesh. Do you at least get a +1 at 2k?

1 minute ago, rgbilliken said:

Sheeeeeeeeeeesh. Do you at least get a +1 at 2k?

No the underprivileged  guest has to wait in the boing plain concourse with all the other poors. 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There's also a lot of misrepresentation in this thread of what it takes to get into that area. It's not just joining the Billiken Club. The giving level to gain access to the 1818 pregame is well above the base $100-150. It's more like $2000 a year for that privilege.

this is sort of misleading since your ticket donation dollars are included in that total.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t normally defend SLU on things like this, but at least from the university point it isn’t about keeping people out.  This is about generating revenue for the program.  What they do now can generate revenue for them and the other only generates revenue for the concession rights holder.  They are making the right choice at this time.

Plus, the area that 1818 is in isn’t large enough to create a Bud Light Landing area.

I understand its about making money.  I just don't think they are utilizing spaces throughout well enough to capitalize on what they could. 

Take out just one suite, because lets be honest, outside of maybe 1 game all season 100% of the suites are used.  Its probably right around the same size as the 1818 club?  Now it opens up the 1818 to the fans we're talking about, and gives the billiken club folks a better view with maybe more space?  

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

this is sort of misleading since your ticket donation dollars are included in that total.

Brian this is missing the mark here again. This has never been about Billikens.com type posters or season ticket holders. This is about the every day sports fan that bought their ticket at the box office or on stub hub etc. that may be visiting Chaifetz for the first time or maybe only been a handful of times. It's about providing a positive experience at all times for every fan. Turning someone down to an plainly visible, open area is not doing that. Details matter, every person, every time.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I understand its about making money.  I just don't think they are utilizing spaces throughout well enough to capitalize on what they could. 

Take out just one suite, because lets be honest, outside of maybe 1 game all season 100% of the suites are used.  Its probably right around the same size as the 1818 club?  Not it opens up the 1818 to the fans we're talking about, and gives the billiken club folks a better view with maybe more space?  

I'm down with this. Nothing says special experience like having access to an area you have to go to a different floor for. I'm serious.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Brian this is missing the mark here again. This has never been about Billikens.com type posters or season ticket holders. This is about the every day fan that bought their ticket at the box office or on stub hub etc. that may be visiting Chaifetz for the first time or maybe only been a handful of times. It's about providing a positive experience at all times for every fan. Turning someone down to an plainly visible, open area is not doing that. Details matter, every person, every time.

If you are really worried about the everyday fan and families turning their kids into lifetime fans, you would be more concerned about lowering concession prices overall. Those high prices turn off far more people off than not being able to get into a crowded bar before the game.  That is, also, something that the university can’t address until the current building management and concession rights deals expire.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If you are really worried about the everyday fan and families turning their kids into lifetime fans, you would be more concerned about lowering concession prices overall. Those high prices turn off far more people off than not being able to get into a crowded bar before the game.  That is, also, something that the university can’t address until the current building management and concession rights deals expire.

Brian, you've known me (digitally) for more than half my life. You know this is an issue for me too. But this is the discussion we're having right now so that's what I'm focused on. I'd be jazzed to help start a fan groundswell of support for lower concessions.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Brian, you've known me (digitally) for more than half my life. You know this is an issue for me too. But this is the discussion we're having right now so that's what I'm focused on. I'd be jazzed to help start a fan groundswell of support for lower concessions.

But this issue might be the silliest thing to be worked up about in the the overall game day experience. The club is so small that the total number of people that can experience it isn’t going to increase by opening it up to everyone.  They would be far better off setting up an area with tables and a high concentration of drink stands in the concourse area for a larger group of people to congregate pre game.  The best solution would be to construct additional space for a club for everyone, but that isn’t going to happen until someone wants to donate a large sum of money to cover part of the construction costs.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

But this issue might be the silliest thing to be worked up about in the the overall game day experience. The club is so small that the total number of people that can experience it isn’t going to increase by opening it up to everyone.  They would be far better off setting up an area with tables and a high concentration of drink stands in the concourse area for a larger group of people to congregate pre game.  The best solution would be to construct additional space for a club for everyone, but that isn’t going to happen until someone wants to donate a large sum of money to cover part of the construction costs.

I understand where you're coming from. I've just seen fans get turned away so many times with my own two eyes, it's gotten under my skin. Whereas I've never seen someone actually walk away from the concession stand. So I don't have the visceral feeling for that issue.