1818 lounge

wgstl

41 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

I have no strong opinion on this either way but I grew up going to Creighton games. They sell out most (all?) games and maybe I'm biased toward SLU but I don't see their (Creighton's) program as being that much better than ours. The reason they sell out is because it is a social event in town that everyone wants to attend. This is because of the "Bud Light Landing" area where everyone (not just boosters) goes before games and at halftime. Something to consider. I understand as a booster you might feel like you are entitled to some exclusive perks--and I don't really disagree--but something to consider is that the program would benefit from doing things to make SLU games more enticing to casual fans.

This is something that we should be able to get AB to sponsor. Pregame rally on the field near the stadium every pre-game with beer and tents. That sounds like something that can be organized easily. It is weird to think that it doesn’t occur.

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

This is something that we should be able to get AB to sponsor. Pregame rally on the field near the stadium every pre-game with beer and tents. That sounds like something that can be organized easily. It is weird to think that it doesn’t occur.

Good idea.  They could use that area that is currently used for smokers to set up a tent if they wanted to.  That is something they really should explore.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Brian this is missing the mark here again. This has never been about Billikens.com type posters or season ticket holders. This is about the every day sports fan that bought their ticket at the box office or on stub hub etc. that may be visiting Chaifetz for the first time or maybe only been a handful of times. It's about providing a positive experience at all times for every fan. Turning someone down to an plainly visible, open area is not doing that. Details matter, every person, every time.

well then i guess all fan should be allowed to go through the buffet in lorenzini's as well.   that should give them a great experience.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

well then i guess all fan should be allowed to go through the buffet in lorenzini's as well.   that should give them a great experience.

Roy, I can't tell if you actually think this is what I'm advocating for...If you do then we're done here because you've completely lost the plot.

If you are just fuoking with me, then I'll make it clear that nobody is advocating to allow general public access to the Billiken club buffet.

what's the difference you want to access a billiken club restricted area without being a billiken club member so why not be able to use all the billiken club facilities.   in fact, let's just drop the billiken club.   who cares if most of the benefactors in the billiken club are the donators that sustain billiken club facilities.   by gosh there is a graduate of 2019 that wants to get a beer in a billiken club area and we need to make sure that guy has a good experience.   to hell with the 30+ year member of the billiken club that has donated thousands of dollars to sustain the billikens.   

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what's the difference you want to access a billiken club restricted area without being a billiken club member so why not be able to use all the billiken club facilities.   in fact, let's just drop the billiken club.   who cares if most of the benefactors in the billiken club are the donators that sustain billiken club facilities.   by gosh there is a graduate of 2019 that wants to get a beer in a billiken club area and we need to make sure that guy has a good experience.   to hell with the 30+ year member of the billiken club that has donated thousands of dollars to sustain the billikens.   

So you're just admitting you have no clue what we're actually discussing in this thread.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

Having a full bar right in the middle of the concourse thats limited to only a certain level of donators is incredibly stupid in my opinion.  Have it somewhere else in the arena.  

almaman likes this

Just now, Westy03 said:

Having a full bar right in the middle of the concourse thats limited to only a certain level of donators is incredibly stupid in my opinion.  Have it somewhere else in the arena.  

Where?

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So you're just admitting you have no clue what we're actually discussing in this thread.

All of this begs the question. You are a huge fan and do a lot to support the program. Why don't you join the Billiken Club? 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mentioned a spot earlier.  Carve out one of the suites.  Its more space and a better view. 

the suites are leased.  even if one isnt used for a game it would require the company or family leasing it to allow such.  and then that means you dont have a permanent location for your elite boosters, the  billiken club. 

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Hell yes. And while we are at it why are students catered to so often. If we want all access equal for everyone, let’s go all the way. 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

All of this begs the question. You are a huge fan and do a lot to support the program. Why don't you join the Billiken Club? 

It's really none of your business whether or not I'm in the Billiken club or donate enough money to enjoy the 1818 Club. Or my reasons why...

I've made it clear this issue was about Chaifetz Arena and providing all fans the best experience possible and to quote Westy above:

"Having a full bar right in the middle of the concourse that's limited to only a certain level of donators is incredibly stupid in my opinion.  Have it somewhere else in the arena."

billikenbill likes this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

the suites are leased.  even if one isnt used for a game it would require the company or family leasing it to allow such.  and then that means you dont have a permanent location for your elite boosters, the  billiken club. 

If you can't get into Lorenzini's pregame you aren't elite Roy.

9 minutes ago, willie said:

I don't know if wealth shaming (I hate the '-shaming' terms but that is what is happening here) people is the best route here. "Have you tried not being poor?" type energy. I think many of the olds here forget what its like to be 30 and not be able to spend money wherever they want.

With that being said... I'm not sure I totally agree with 05, but understand his point. I think that how it is now serves a purpose. Allows the fundraising people to schmooze with a certain group of club members, and that facetime is priceless.

I do think that it needs to be mentioned that so many of us beach and moan that we can't get the casual fan to come to games, then some try to gatekeep a cool part of the arena. It doesn't really make much sense.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's really none of your business whether or not I'm in the Billiken club or donate enough money to enjoy the 1818 Club. Or my reasons why...

I've made it clear this issue was about Chaifetz Arena and providing all fans the best experience possible and to quote Westy above:

"Having a full bar right in the middle of the concourse that's limited to only a certain level of donators is incredibly stupid in my opinion.  Have it somewhere else in the arena."

nothing is keeping you from meeting friends in the concourse not where the 1818 is located.   there is plenty of room for a few people to meet and have a beer together in the concourse.   there are concession stands all the way around the building so getting your refreshment is no big deal.  

personally i would rather be out in my seats watching the teams warm up and listening to the band, so not sure why this is a big deal to you.  

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

All are leased? Seems 2 aren't that way, and by seems I mean because the lights seem to always be off, there's no corporate names like you see in other suites.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If you can't get into Lorenzini's pregame you aren't elite Roy.

i agree i am not elite as i cant pay that nickel.   and i am not complaining about it either because i understand the greater good for the program to create that even higher elite space for the even bigger benefactors of the billikens.   when i win the lottery though i will become such.  

Just now, wgstl said:

All are leased? Seems 2 aren't that way, and by seems I mean because the lights seem to always be off, there's no corporate names like you see in other suites.

my niece used to be a high ranker with bayer (formerly monsanto) she now works at a different company.   she said monsanto rarely used their tickets and suites at most of the venues in st louis but still paid to have such.   and if you look at the blue seats center court on both sides that sit open, most of those are sold to these same companies and they go unused a lot.   it happens.   but the revenue was gotten by SLU regardless. 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nothing is keeping you from meeting friends in the concourse not where the 1818 is located.   there is plenty of room for a few people to meet and have a beer together in the concourse.   there are concession stands all the way around the building so getting your refreshment is no big deal.  

personally i would rather be out in my seats watching the teams warm up and listening to the band, so not sure why this is a big deal to you.  

Roy, I know you can read. You graduated from Saint Louis University. Stop your BS.

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I don't know if wealth shaming (I hate the '-shaming' terms but that is what is happening here) people is the best route here. "Have you tried not being poor?" type energy. I think many of the olds here forget what its like to be 30 and not be able to spend money wherever they want.

With that being said... I'm not sure I totally agree with 05, but understand his point. I think that how it is now serves a purpose. Allows the fundraising people to schmooze with a certain group of club members, and that facetime is priceless.

I do think that it needs to be mentioned that so many of us beach and moan that we can't get the casual fan to come to games, then some try to gatekeep a cool part of the arena. It doesn't really make much sense.

It has nothing to do with wealth shaming. It is important to have a large diverse booster group. At $150 almost every season ticket holder should be able to join. Hell if you are paying their beer prices you can afford it. 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Roy, I know you can read. You graduated from Saint Louis University. Stop your BS.

so you think because you can walk past 1818 and see it that all should be allowed to enter.  incredible.   let's just go back to willie's suggestion.   buck up for the appropriate billiken club membership if it is that important to you.  

36 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

This is literally the only point that matters. To the thousands of people at every game who aren't BC members, this just looks like a public bar because it's on the main concourse and there's no door. Move it or close it off, using signage to indicate what it's for. It's so simple. The rest of the argument is pointless.

hmart23 likes this