OT: Final WCQ Window for USMNT

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just watch.  I've had more contact at the grocery store.

This is easy to stop. Just review all games and if a player flops or feigns injury. Red Card for next game increasing 1 per offense. Someone just has to want to stop it

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This is easy to stop. Just review all games and if a player flops or feigns injury. Red Card for next game increasing 1 per offense. Someone just has to want to stop it

Absolutely…or just check in with the announcers…”se la vendio” must have been repeated ten times

slufanskip likes this

Biggest game of the WCQ for the Red/White/Blue tonight.  A must, must win against Panama, a team fighting for their WCQ life.

Coach B has some big issues to consider.  Who starts at RB for Yedlin.  He brought in Moore, but Moore has only played in 5 matches this year.  He or Palmer-Brown will get the start, with the other perhaps a sub.

With Weah out, do you start Reyna?  He likely can't go 90 so do you start him and sub out at 60 or do you sub him in at 60 and start Morris or Arriola?

Keep with Steffan, who didn't have that great a match against Mexico, or Horvath?  Probably Steffan.

And who do you start up top?  Does it matter, as our striker likely won't score.  Give Ferreria his shot?

Coach will have to keep close attention to the legs of the guys that went 90 against Mexico.  Musah looked to be totally gassed at the end of the game, an the same for Acosta.  About 60 minutes in Coach B will have to make some switches depending on what unfolds on the pitch.

slufanskip likes this

Dominated 

Hatrick by Pulisic such a good come back from meh form

The creativity in front of goal was impressive.   The ball movement was great such an improvement from the games I saw vs Canada in Gold Cup and Jamaica in WCQ.   Get Dest and McKennie back and we have something special (outside the #9).  I'm excited.

slufanskip likes this

12 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Dominated 

Hatrick by Pulisic such a good come back from meh form

The creativity in front of goal was impressive.   The ball movement was great such an improvement from the games I saw vs Canada in Gold Cup and Jamaica in WCQ.   Get Dest and McKennie back and we have something special (outside the #9).  I'm excited.

Yes. Plus get Gio all the way back. The next 8 months will be infinitely more fun getting ready for the World Cup.

slufanskip likes this

25 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Yes. Plus get Gio all the way back. The next 8 months will be infinitely more fun getting ready for the World Cup.

Gio was dynamic both games. We haven’t had hin for so long it’s easy to forget how good he is. 

When was the last time we had Pulisic, McKennie, Gio, Adams and Dest available to possibly go 99 for a game? Imo those are still the top 5 but add in Weah, Musah, Aaronson, and the Robinson boys and Zimmerman and if we can stay healthy for the WC we could make some noise

I am putting Zimmerman in my top 5.  He has brought stability to the back line and he is awesome on aerials. 

I don't know if we solved the problem at #9.  Ferreria finally got a tally from that slot, and looked the better of Pepi and Prefok, in these two matches. He did whiff on one that was maybe a half a second late.   It seems we find 'the answer' and then 'the answer' disappears.  Sargent?  Dike?  We can't give up on Zardes.  We have to get this solved in the few internationals left before WC.

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I am putting Zimmerman in my top 5.  He has brought stability to the back line and he is awesome on aerials. 

I don't know if we solved the problem at #9.  Ferreria finally got a tally from that slot, and looked the better of Pepi and Prefok, in these two matches. He did whiff on one that was maybe a half a second late.   It seems we find 'the answer' and then 'the answer' disappears.  Sargent?  Dike?  We can't give up on Zardes.  We have to get this solved in the few internationals left before WC.

I guess Zim makes it a top 6. For the 1st time in a very long time I feel very confident in our back line with Dest, Jedi, Miles, and Zim

Adams is alone but I’m more comfortable with Acosta than I used to be. 

I used to feel we had a top 3 attacking players McKennie, Pulisic, and Gio. But the drop off to Musah and Weah is pretty small now

We need to try to get Folarin Balogun in the fold and see what we have in him this summer. He could be the #9 we need in Qatar.  Also hope that Daryl Dike can get healthy and stay healthy. Guys with his size, strength, and skill don’t come around very often. 

53 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

We need to try to get Folarin Balogun in the fold and see what we have in him this summer. He could be the #9 we need in Qatar.  Also hope that Daryl Dike can get healthy and stay healthy. Guys with his size, strength, and skill don’t come around very often. 

Earlier this month, there was a report that Folarin was planning to switch to the USMNT. However, he keeps playing with England's U21 team, so I am not sure what to make of the report. He could be Arsenal's starting striker as soon as next season. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This last round went about as perfect as it really could.  Got the point in Mexico, 3 points with a big GD advantage.  All while our best player has been out.

Costa Rica beating Canada could've thrown a wrench into our plans, but you're right, a point in Mexico and a massive GD advantage are huge. We would have been in really scary territory going into yesterday if not for the point in Mexico (since Costa Rica won). 

Some thoughts on yesterday's game:

1. Puli's third goal was absolutely brilliant. Otherwise, I am not ready to declare that he has regained his form (as I saw many in the media doing).
  2. I like what Ferreira brought to the team. Although he isn't a traditional goal hunter, he is good in link-up plays. 
  3. As others noted, our back-line is a major strength right now. I will watch this group closely leading up to Qatar, as there are a lot of scenarios that could play out. For example, is Dest better as a super-sub if we have our full complement of wingers and midfielders?
  4. Goalkeeper is arguably as big of a question mark as striker. I have always been a defender of Zack Steffen, but he was bad again last night.

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

1. Puli's third goal was absolutely brilliant. Otherwise, I am not ready to declare that he has regained his form (as I saw many in the media doing).
  2. I like what Ferreira brought to the team. Although he isn't a traditional goal hunter, he is good in link-up plays. 
  3. As others noted, our back-line is a major strength right now. I will watch this group closely leading up to Qatar, as there are a lot of scenarios that could play out. For example, is Dest better as a super-sub if we have our full complement of wingers and midfielders?
  4. Goalkeeper is arguably as big of a question mark as striker. I have always been a defender of Zack Steffen, but he was bad again last night.

It'll be interesting what ggg plans to do with Brooks.  I thought Shaq was also excellent. 

Steffen just isnt getting enough starts.  losing early in the Carabao cup didn't help, and he missed 2 games where he would have started for city last month but was injured. With PL getting tight there goes any chance there.  

10 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I agree with all 4. 

1. While it does take extreme talent on PK's, they are PK's.  Any player should be able to make them.  So 2 of his 3 goals are in " " for me.  Yes the third was spectacular.  What was that celebration?  Worms, pushups? 

2. Ferreria does seem to be in the right place at the right time, something our other candidates are lacking.  If he had nailed that bicycle kick, he would have my vote for #9.  But he didn't.  Yes, that is a high standard, but we need a solid striker.

3. Let Brooks back onto the squad, as a backup, and our back line is very, very good.  With Cannon, Yedlin and after last night Moore all as additional candidates, plenty of competition to keep the boys on their toes.

4. We need Turner back in good health.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree with all 4. 

1. While it does take extreme talent on PK's, they are PK's.  Any player should be able to make them.  So 2 of his 3 goals are in " " for me.  Yes the third was spectacular.  What was that celebration?  Worms, pushups? 

2. Ferreria does seem to be in the right place at the right time, something our other candidates are lacking.  If he had nailed that bicycle kick, he would have my vote for #9.  But he didn't.  Yes, that is a high standard, but we need a solid striker.

3. Let Brooks back onto the squad, as a backup, and our back line is very, very good.  With Cannon, Yedlin and after last night Moore all as additional candidates, plenty of competition to keep the boys on their toes.

4. We need Turner back in good health.

Ferreira made 1 of 3 easy point blank shots from 8 yards and in. Making 1 isn’t good. 

Dest imo is a sure fire starter with the ability to change the game offensively. Neither him or Yedlin are great defenders but Dest is a considerably more dynamic offensive threat. 

Everyone available right now it has to be Dest, Zim, Miles, and Jedi across the back 

Adams is an obvious. 

Id go Weah and Pulisic on the wings with McKennie and Gio in the middle. It leaves Musah and Acosta as middle subs and Brendon A as a winger with Gio able to play outside also if necessary. 

Up top .., No one. Pick a guy from the stands. 

41 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It'll be interesting what ggg plans to do with Brooks.  I thought Shaq was also excellent. 

Steffen just isnt getting enough starts.  losing early in the Carabao cup didn't help, and he missed 2 games where he would have started for city last month but was injured. With PL getting tight there goes any chance there.  

The dropoff from Steffen to Turner in distribution is too great imo. Also, he'll get vastly more PT than Turner will going forward, just by nature of City playing so many more cup games (and games in general) than Arsenal does. He is just coming off of injury so he looked rusty this window, but he imo is our best option going forward as far as WC goes. From now on, it isn't about winning individual games, it is more who gives us the best chance to get out of the group and go further in Qatar, and that to me is undoubtedly Steffen.

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

The dropoff from Steffen to Turner in distribution is too great imo. Also, he'll get vastly more PT than Turner will going forward, just by nature of City playing so many more cup games (and games in general) than Arsenal does. He is just coming off of injury so he looked rusty this window, but he imo is our best option going forward as far as WC goes. From now on, it isn't about winning individual games, it is more who gives us the best chance to get out of the group and go further in Qatar, and that to me is undoubtedly Steffen.

true about Turner and PT with arsenal, that will slow him down. 

Steffen has gotten so much better with his passes, thats one thing playing for Pep that has shown. It'll show more once Dest returns. 

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

True Steffan is SUPPOSED to be a better distributor, but he scuffed up a couple of dist. in the Mexico game.  He looked confused last night on the scramble in front of the goal.   I'm not sold on Steffan as much as you are.  Turner doesn't go abroad until July, so he should get more starts with the Revs, but that won't matter come November if he isn't playing.  I don't fault guys for going abroad, but when they don't play - and then aren't called in to the USMNT, they can only look in the mirror.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Ferreira made 1 of 3 easy point blank shots from 8 yards and in. Making 1 isn’t good. 

Up top .., No one. Pick a guy from the stands. 

Making 1 of 3 is better than 0 of 1 and 0 of 0 from our other strikers this window.  I agree, we don't have an answer and likely no one will emerge in the next 7 months.

slufanskip likes this