Split Thread - Discussion of Ticket Refunds

dennis_w

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Why, they are the ones who changed their policy... are you as forgiving when it’s your money??

"There are those who want to express their opinions and then people like you feel you must respond. just ignore, you are under no obligation to opine on this topic"

26 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

The ticket office has been asked multiple times with various responses,like 4 weeks, this week,next week etc. i assume slu pays their bills in a timely matter so I have difficulty believing this one would be hard to pay. Venmo takes less than a minute 

Look man, if you're throwing out options like a medium to large athletics operation sending out your refund via Venmo then nothing I say is going to help. I'm sure there are tax implications and things way off any of our radar involved in refunding tickets.

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Look man, if you're throwing out options like a medium to large athletics operation sending out your refund via Venmo then nothing I say is going to help. I'm sure there are tax implications and things way off any of our radar involved in refunding tickets.

My point was that paying is not that difficult, they can refund on credit or debit cards , nearing the 3 month mark, I will suggest the business pays bills all the time and are not 90 days late unless there is a serious cash flow problem, are you routinely that late with your bills or would you be willing to wait that long for payment if you were the hotdog supplier?

46 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

My point was that paying is not that difficult, they can refund on credit or debit cards , nearing the 3 month mark, I will suggest the business pays bills all the time and are not 90 days late unless there is a serious cash flow problem, are you routinely that late with your bills or would you be willing to wait that long for payment if you were the hotdog supplier?

I'm guessing/hoping you'll get refunded eventually, but I'd also guess that SLU has no legal obligation to actually refund you.  That's the pickle you are in.  You getting the refund is essentially up to SLU's good will & wanting to avoid potential bad PR.

Another guess would be that holding the refunds has to do with budgeting.  Athletic revenue / budget very likely took a beating from COVID.  If they can push off refunding  money until the next fiscal year (likely summer) than it smooths out the revenue hit a little bit & makes this fiscal year's budget look better.

Again, I hope SLU refunds you & think they should, but to be brutally honest I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.  You should have been aware that COVID policies could change at any time, known that other large indoor venues in the City had vax policies & not purchased season tickets in the first place if you were concerned about it. 

Final guess is that many season ticket holders (and probably most on this message board w season tickets) buy them to go to the games, but also as a means of supporting the University, Athletics Dept., & basketball program.  Look at how many people readily give up their tickets for free on a regular basis to strangers on the internet via the ticket exchange thread.  If those people were concerned about money/refunds, they wouldn't buy season tickets, but rather buy tickets to individual games they could actually attend.

i dont remember.   did the athletic department promise a turnaround time frame when the option for a refund was offered?    i know last year it was always that once the season was over we could decide if we wanted a credit to this season, a refund or a donation to the billikens.    since i had no intention of missing a game, i never considered any of those options so i didnt pay attention to the details.   if anyone has that email when it was intially happening, i bet we can decide very quickly if the athletic department is in the right or not with the wanted refunds.  

16 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm guessing/hoping you'll get refunded eventually, but I'd also guess that SLU has no legal obligation to actually refund you.  That's the pickle you are in.  You getting the refund is essentially up to SLU's good will & wanting to avoid potential bad PR.

Another guess would be that holding the refunds has to do with budgeting.  Athletic revenue / budget very likely took a beating from COVID.  If they can push off refunding  money until the next fiscal year (likely summer) than it smooths out the revenue hit a little bit & makes this fiscal year's budget look better.

Again, I hope SLU refunds you & think they should, but to be brutally honest I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.  You should have been aware that COVID policies could change at any time, known that other large indoor venues in the City had vax policies & not purchased season tickets in the first place if you were concerned about it. 

Final guess is that many season ticket holders (and probably most on this message board w season tickets) buy them to go to the games, but also as a means of supporting the University, Athletics Dept., & basketball program.  Look at how many people readily give up their tickets for free on a regular basis to strangers on the internet via the ticket exchange thread.  If those people were concerned about money/refunds, they wouldn't buy season tickets, but rather buy tickets to individual games they could actually attend.

No one expects your sympathy, the tickets were bought long before the policy was in place, the published attendance rules were in place at time of purchase and then changed. I suspect someone might cal that a breech of contract. That said slu immediately offered a refund and promised delivery multiple times and still have not done. Others can do what they wish with their tickets and money, this tickholder do get his refund and spend it on other recreation. Likely slu lost a fan and will never get that revenue again 

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont remember.   did the athletic department promise a turnaround time frame when the option for a refund was offered?    i know last year it was always that once the season was over we could decide if we wanted a credit to this season, a refund or a donation to the billikens.    since i had no intention of missing a game, i never considered any of those options so i didnt pay attention to the details.   if anyone has that email when it was intially happening, i bet we can decide very quickly if the athletic department is in the right or not with the wanted refunds.  

Yes they promised an immediate refund and then multiple time frames and even offered hand delivery the last contact was we don’t know when we can cut a check 

16 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is exactly where I am on this. However people feel about being vaxxed or the arena policy or whatever I think it's overall probably in SLU's best interest to refund people who aren't able to attend games due to their vax/testing requirement on good faith, though I have a feeling they likely have no legal obligation to do so. I am not a season ticket holder because I don't live in town so haven't read the fine print.

Also, isn't Chaifetz actually operated by a different group even though SLU owns it? Wonder if that could complicate things if they have to go through a third party? Anyone know?

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tax implications on a refund??? You’re  make a fool of yourself.... 

Changes to attending games is what the school has the authority to do such as changing times/dates and they do not have any obligation to refund money - happens all the time in baseball with rainouts and if you read the fine print I am sure it says the school has this authority - I know I have seen it in the past when we got paper tickets.   Requiring a vaccination or a negative test is the same thing - they can change attendance policy without having to refund money.  When they went to the clear bag rule it was another of these changes.  Now should the school refund - really up to them but technically I do not believe they have an obligation to do so.  Now before the usual posters attack me just remember I have not taken a position other than to state the obvious.  

rgbilliken and RUBillsFan like this

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Changes to attending games is what the school has the authority to do such as changing times/dates and they do not have any obligation to refund money - happens all the time in baseball with rainouts.  Requiring a vaccination or a negative test is the same thing - they can change attendance policy without having to refund money.  When they went to the clear bag rule it was another of these changes.  Now should the school refund - really up to them but technically I do not believe they have an obligation to do so.  Now before the usual posters attack me just remember I have not taken a position other than to state the obvious.  

Vaccination = rainout, ok you are right 

Just now, dennis_w said:

Vaccination = rainout, ok you are right 

It was an example of a change in a game schedule.  All I believe they are obligated to do is provide the game and the school is doing so.  Nobody got a refund for Covid games that were canceled unless they were never played which all were.

22 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

No one expects your sympathy, the tickets were bought long before the policy was in place, the published attendance rules were in place at time of purchase and then changed. I suspect someone might cal that a breech of contract. That said slu immediately offered a refund and promised delivery multiple times and still have not done. Others can do what they wish with their tickets and money, this tickholder do get his refund and spend it on other recreation. Likely slu lost a fan and will never get that revenue again 

I understand the timing, but I suspect there is fine print somewhere saying SLU can essentially set whatever attendance rules they want & change them at any time without being obligated to issue any refunds to ticket holders.  If there isn't SLU's attorneys are doing a poor job.  They could say that to attend you have to have been birthed feet first or else wear a tutu & have no obligation to issue any refunds.  No breach (or breech) of contract there.

I'd also offer that when you call the ticket office, you are most likely talking to some intern / student worker who has no authority to do anything.  I say this in a very wry/humorous way, they know how transact a purchase of tickets, but their #1 goal is probably just to get you off the phone as quick as possible so they don't have to hear you complain & they'll tell you whatever to accomplish that.

Again, I'm agreeing with you that the correct thing to do would be for them to issue you a refund.  I'm just saying you likely don't have a pot to piss in here in terms of leverage to get that done.

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I understand the timing, but I suspect there is fine print somewhere saying SLU can essentially set whatever attendance rules they want & change them at any time without being obligated to issue any refunds to ticket holders.  If there isn't SLU's attorneys are doing a poor job.  They could say that to attend you have to have been birthed feet first or else wear a tutu & have no obligation to issue any refunds.  No breach (or breech) of contract there.

I'd also offer that when you call the ticket office, you are most likely talking to some intern / student worker who has no authority to do anything.  I say this in a very wry/humorous way, they know how transact a purchase of tickets, but their #1 goal is probably just to get you off the phone as quick as possible so they don't have to hear you complain & they'll tell you whatever to accomplish that.

Again, I'm agreeing with you that the correct thing to do would be for them to issue you a refund.  I'm just saying you likely don't have a pot to piss in here in terms of leverage to get that done.

Matt cady promised a refund and has not delivered.one would think regardless of the legal standing slu would keep their word and issue the refund.as an aside the courts are full of cases where parties can’t decide just what a contract says 

10 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Matt cady promised a refund and has not delivered.one would think regardless of the legal standing slu would keep their word and issue the refund.as an aside the courts are full of cases where parties can’t decide just what a contract says 

From my first email from Matt in December:

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed on the timing of your refund - before Dec. 11 or before Dec. 18. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. 

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

It would've been like 50x less hassle to drive to CVS and get a shot.

100% agreement, but this is a bad post that is only going to start a bunch of sh*t that will inevitably lead to nothing productive & this thread being locked.  You as well as anyone know that by now.