GDT: Ram Tough

Taj79

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

There’s reasons why the new trend for stadiums is smaller over bigger. Less people are going to games in general. 

That may be true but you are not taking into consideration the large number of musical performance and other events that used to take place at the Chaifetz before Covid. I remember at least one performance by the Cirque du Soleil (is this the right spelling?), and a graduation from the SLU Law school (my daughter's) at the Chaifetz. All of these were additional money makers for the Chaifetz and the concessions. These have nothing at all to do with watching sports from your home. I have no idea if these additional events are still coming to the Chaifetz or not.

39 minutes ago, wgstl said:

There’s reasons why the new trend for stadiums is smaller over bigger. Less people are going to games in general. 

This is true for MLB, but not so much other stuff pro sports over the past 15 years.  Every NFL stadium has has had a larger capacity than the one it replaced. In the NBA and NHL it has been about 50/50.

The NFL and especially big time college football probably will be able to avoid some of the problems other sports will experience.  In those cases the event and everything surrounding it pull people to the game. Plus, it is an every other week thing during the season.  The scarcity of games themselves creates a supply demand imbalance in favor of attending every game.

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

It is only a suggestion then and not a rule, enforce it or dont have it. dont need to go to a bb game to get "peer" pressure 

Peer pressure is what occurs naturally when people are around others so they tend to match that behavior.  I am not sure why this is such a big issue - nobody is obviously making you do it so let it go.

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Peer pressure is what occurs naturally when people are around others so they tend to match that behavior.  I am not sure why this is such a big issue - nobody is obviously making you do it so let it go.

Maybe taking your own advice and "letting it go" would make you feel better. message boards are for opinions and like you i have some. peer pressure is what makes you throw rocks through a window because everyone else is doing it

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

This is true for MLB, but not so much other stuff pro sports over the past 15 years.  Every NFL stadium has has had a larger capacity than the one it replaced. In the NBA and NHL it has been about 50/50.

The NFL and especially big time college football probably will be able to avoid some of the problems other sports will experience.  In those cases the event and everything surrounding it pull people to the game. Plus, it is an every other week thing during the season.  The scarcity of games themselves creates a supply demand imbalance in favor of attending every game.

I remember reading an article when mizzou was doing their football field renovations, it cited that stadiums in most sports have gone this way as of late. I do agree NFL is not tho. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

That may be true but you are not taking into consideration the large number of musical performance and other events that used to take place at the Chaifetz before Covid. I remember at least one performance by the Cirque du Soleil (is this the right spelling?), and a graduation from the SLU Law school (my daughter's) at the Chaifetz. All of these were additional money makers for the Chaifetz and the concessions. These have nothing at all to do with watching sports from your home. I have no idea if these additional events are still coming to the Chaifetz or not.

I’m saying a lot of newer sports venues are going smaller BC attendance not only is down, corporate suites makes more money than the average seats

15 hours ago, brianstl said:

NFL attendance peaked on 2016 at 17,788,671 total or 1,046,392 per week.  The past couple years have been weird because of COVID & the adding an extra game to the regular season, but attendance was trending downward in 2017, 2018 and 2019.  Who knows if NFL attendance will continue trending down or if won't bounce back, but there is some data that NFL isn't totally avoiding the downturn of other sports.

54 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

NFL attendance peaked on 2016 at 17,788,671 total or 1,046,392 per week.  The past couple years have been weird because of COVID & the adding an extra game to the regular season, but attendance was trending downward in 2017, 2018 and 2019.  Who knows if NFL attendance will continue trending down or if won't bounce back, but there is some data that NFL isn't totally avoiding the downturn of other sports.

I agree. In fact, the argument can be made that football is the most at risk. They have a mental ailment hanging over the whole sport. Participation was already heading south in the Midwest for 40 years. It would be interesting to see how much it has dropped since CTE became a national headline. Everyone that I have spoken with who have young children are reluctant to let their children play football. Eventually, that will catch up with the NFL. At some point, a sport is hard to relate to if you do not play it.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I agree. In fact, the argument can be made that football is the most at risk. They have a mental ailment hanging over the whole sport. Participation was already heading south in the Midwest for 40 years. It would be interesting to see how much it has dropped since CTE became a national headline. Everyone that I have spoken with who have young children are reluctant to let their children play football. Eventually, that will catch up with the NFL. At some point, a sport is hard to relate to if you do not play it.

Webster was a powerhouse 8 years ago, we now barely have enough to meet the min. for a varisty team.  Parents atleast for webster, told their kids to pick other sports.  Its part of the reason soccer became a popular sport here. 

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Webster was a powerhouse 8 years ago, we now barely have enough to meet the min. for a varisty team.  Parents atleast for webster, told their kids to pick other sports.  Its part of the reason soccer became a popular sport here. 

Its crazy how much their numbers have dropped.  Perhaps the new coach can rebuild the feeder program and get more kids to turn out.

MRH dropped their program entirely, just a few years after winning state with Bryant Allen, who I believe was a SLU hoops recruit.

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

State champs with Parade Magazine all purpose player of the year in the oughts. Now the turkey @ annual Thanksgiving game. Quite a turn around. Basketball still sound.

34 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Its crazy how much their numbers have dropped.  Perhaps the new coach can rebuild the feeder program and get more kids to turn out.

MRH dropped their program entirely, just a few years after winning state with Bryant Allen, who I believe was a SLU hoops recruit.

It was a numbers thing with them too. When Bryant Allen was there, they were still only class 3 or so