SLU Women's Soccer Thread

New 2025 commit for SLU is Kate Lewis, from St. Louis.

Kate was a national Olympic Development Team Goalkeeper. This included a trip to the Finals of the Dallas Cup. 

She is also the keeper on the Lou Fusz U17 Girls Academy (GA) Team. That team advanced to the GA National Quarterfinals. Kate is a club teammate of SLU commit Ava Scorfina.

Kate attends Visitation Academy, but she played on the Lou Fusz Composite Team instead of playing high school soccer. That team played an independent schedule of Super Cup teams, as well as in select showcases and tourneys including Jefferson Cup in Virginia. Kate was an All Region selection her Freshman year of high school. 

Kate has been a GA National Talent ID participant as well as multiple time Frontier Talent ID Camp invitee.

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nebraska pregame.

Another Top 25 team. Nebraska is top 5 nationally in scoring offense. Top 5 in assists per game. (Denying service and tight marking without ball watching, will be essential)

They are a direct, pressing, transition scoring team. And they are efficient at doing so in a variety of ways. Outside backs getting forward providing service. They use the width of the field with their wings. Target passes and through balls. They are one of the best teams nationally finishing in the air. 

They have one of the best finishing forwards nationally in Eleanor Dale. She did not play in the game at SLU last year. Total package forward who must be held in check as much as possible. She can play in space, as a target, cleans up the 18. Strong aerial finisher too.

Their front four is very solid. They often work the right side of the offense up the middle with Belzile, and wide with Schwarz. Weber is also dangerous back side. They get Schwarz wide often. Lots and lots of service run of play volley finishes coming from that side. Their backs will provide long diagonal balls.

Nebraska also is vulnerable to give up some goals as well with their style of play. It’s a good style of play match up for SLU. Opportunity is there for SLU to get some goals in transition. 

………………..
Nebraska plays a 4-2-3-1 team that sometimes looks like a 4-2-4 with its pressure. Beat the pressure and get some mismatch numbers. 

Nebraska returns all of its players except one from last season. Very experienced team. Combo of local and international players. Polished team.

……………

They are one of many teams that took an International trip this Summer. (Iceland)

………….

They have overpowered some defensive teams this season with lopsided wins. They make teams pay that do not mark tight inside the 18 and teams that turn it over. 

…………

Some of their wins include:

3-1 at Gonzaga

5-0 vs Mizzou

2-1 vs Baylor

4-0 at K-State

…………….
Xavier 2 Pittsburgh 1

Another Top 25 win for Xavier over a Panther team that made the Sweet 16 last year.

Number 1 ranked BYU plays Utah this weekend.

Brown has a big one against Wake Forest.

………….

slufanskip likes this

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I haven’t watched the game yet, I’m hoping it’ll be available on demand on espn+ but the Bills win 3-2 at ranked Nebraska. The Bills played 4 ranked teams already, with 3 of those on the road and are 1-2-1 in the 4 games. 

It won't be on there. But all of the remaining road and home games should be because they are all league games. 

I'll get you a recap shortly when I get a chance. 3 of the 4 games were against similar level teams. Could have won all 3. More efficient finishing today. Big result.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I haven’t watched the game yet, I’m hoping it’ll be available on demand on espn+ but the Bills win 3-2 at ranked Nebraska. The Bills played 4 ranked teams already, with 3 of those on the road and are 1-2-1 in the 4 games. 

It was on BIG 10+. Really a great game. A damn shame it was behind an extra paywall.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:30 AM, courtside said:

Nebraska pregame.

Another Top 25 team. Nebraska is top 5 nationally in scoring offense. Top 5 in assists per game. (Denying service and tight marking without ball watching, will be essential)

They are a direct, pressing, transition scoring team. And they are efficient at doing so in a variety of ways. Outside backs getting forward providing service. They use the width of the field with their wings. Target passes and through balls. They are one of the best teams nationally finishing in the air. 

They have one of the best finishing forwards nationally in Eleanor Dale. She did not play in the game at SLU last year. Total package forward who must be held in check as much as possible. She can play in space, as a target, cleans up the 18. Strong aerial finisher too.

Their front four is very solid. They often work the right side of the offense up the middle with Belzile, and wide with Schwarz. Weber is also dangerous back side. They get Schwarz wide often. Lots and lots of service run of play volley finishes coming from that side. Their backs will provide long diagonal balls.

Nebraska also is vulnerable to give up some goals as well with their style of play. It’s a good style of play match up for SLU. Opportunity is there for SLU to get some goals in transition. 

………………..
Nebraska plays a 4-2-3-1 team that sometimes looks like a 4-2-4 with its pressure. Beat the pressure and get some mismatch numbers. 

Nebraska returns all of its players except one from last season. Very experienced team. Combo of local and international players. Polished team.

……………

They are one of many teams that took an International trip this Summer. (Iceland)

………….

They have overpowered some defensive teams this season with lopsided wins. They make teams pay that do not mark tight inside the 18 and teams that turn it over. 

…………

Some of their wins include:

3-1 at Gonzaga

5-0 vs Mizzou

2-1 vs Baylor

4-0 at K-State

…………….
Xavier 2 Pittsburgh 1

Another Top 25 win for Xavier over a Panther team that made the Sweet 16 last year.

Number 1 ranked BYU plays Utah this weekend.

Brown has a big one against Wake Forest.

………….

SLU 3 Nebraska 2

Good result for SLU.

Big game for Katie Houck. Scored the game winner. She kept the play alive for the 2nd goal, and she switched to left back to help slow down the potent attack on that side, as was discussed pregame. Having a 5th player in the attack made a difference for SLU. It’s something missing without Halverson and with Jackson injured.

4-2-3-1 for both as expected.

Much of the 0-0 first half was played between the 18’s. Nebraska, as expected worked the right side of the field with a pace right back in Zade, and Schwarz on the wing trying to find Dale and Weber. SLU made an early change 10 minutes into the game, moving Houck from right back to left back to help combat this. She did well, and Schreiber gave good minutes there too, her most minutes of the season. Zade also has a long flip throw to add to their attack. SLU used mainly Groark, to defend the wing on that side.

So, Zade will push it up the right side and either provide diagonal balls to Dale and Weber or play Schwarz down the line for deep width runs and service. That’s the bulk of the Nebraska offense. And it’s very good.

Nebraska is a very physical team. They foul a lot and their attacking players will sometimes overpower defenders. SLU was able to win some set pieces in the middle of the field and send some balls into the box and this was an going threat in the game. Lots of work for Houck with service.

SLU had a lot of first half possession as there was a lot of space between the back 4 of Nebraska and its attacking players up field. They didn’t get enough out of these long middle of the field runs.

Nebraska is a team that will punish mistakes and use pressure on back 4 players whenever they can. 

SLU had a nice chance in the 27th minute as a turnover, long run for J Preusser wide to Gaebe who ripped a far post pass in the air that Kelly couldn’t quite handle for the volley finish. 

One of Puricelli’s best skills is coming out for aerial passes from distance, either from the corners or from diagonal positions in the offense third That’s a big part of the Nebraska offense. 

Dale had two good chances, one a failed clear lay off pass shot middle of the goal save. And another was a back post header headed for the upper corner saved comfortably. Eventually Dale, one of the country’s leading scorers, would score twice.

…………,…

2nd half

Eventually the game was going to open up with the way the two teams play, and it did

Nebraska had a few early chances including a 22 yard free kick. Dale was receiving a long ball target pass. She was knocked down from behind by Heckel. I didn’t like the call. Dale ripped a laser top corner far post just over the bar. Tough call but you can’t foul there.

55th minute Nebraska goal. PK. Terrible call. Corner, beyond far post, out front near the 18. Weber half volleys it off of the ground back into the ground, and blocked by Lawler and out of the box. Bang bang play. The shot bounced off of the ground up into the arm of Lawler which was at her side. Stunning PK called on a harmless play. Dale buried the PK easily top left corner. Nebraska had been building for much of the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. 

Houck sent Gaebe in alone on a long ball over the back line a few minutes later but the keeper came off of her line just in time. 

…………

63rd minute goal, Lawler wins midfield ball to Sawyer who makes a run and lays it off to Gaebe wide. Gaebe occupied multiple defenders and centered, Houck kept it alive, Kelly had her shot kicked saved out to J Preusser who buried it straight on. Having Houck move into the attack as she did much of the game kept the play alive and gave SLU more numbers in the box.

https://x.com/sluwsoccer/status/1700956822494904742?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

…………..

66th minute goal for SLU. 

Houck had another half field free kick headed over the goal by Gaebe. The midfield Nebraska fouls were costly. 

Gaebe received a throw in down the left side, occupied 3 defenders, centered for Larson whose shot was saved, but the rebound in front was finished by Houck.

https://x.com/sluwsoccer/status/1700958727384228329?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

……………

75th minute SLU had a corner Sawyer to Heckel back post header just wide.

………….

Nebraska goal in the 75th minute:

Houck won a 50/50 ball and cleared it but it bounced off of the Nebraska player right back off of Houck and out of bounds. Very quick throw in restart and was off to the races in the corner. Stram was caught in between defensing service and helping on Dale. And Dale won a near post ball on the ground and was able to redirect into the far corner. Dale scores lots of goals in lots of way. Tough player.

https://x.com/ncaasoccer/status/1700961885460234304?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

…………..

81st minute Belzile made a run and slots a through ball to Dale and Puricelli dives and just tips it away. 

………….

87th minute SLU goal. 

Yet another midfield free kick for SLU. Houck launches it into the box, Stram wins the first header straight up in the air, Lawler wins the 2nd one to Miller who buries it straight on goal.

https://x.com/sluwsoccer/status/1700963316389077334?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

…………..

Shots were 16-16.

………….

Larson sat for long stretches in both halves. Played only 36 minutes. Pace becomes an issue when she sits at the same time as Sawyer. 

Gaebe was a factor in 2 SLU goals and almost had 1 or 2 more. Played only 55 minutes.

Simon and J Preusser shared center attacking mid. Simon had to come out early v Brown after scoring with a quad. But she was fine. She adds to the attacking component while J Preusser defends the middle. 
Groark played exclusively wing. 

SLU is big on playing two way players who defend and get good positioning. 

………..

Nebraska’s keeper’s name is Sami Hauk, You will here Hauk and Houck in those clips. 

………..

It was the first loss of the season for Nebraska.

They have wins over Mizzou 5-0, K-State 4-0, 3-1 over Gonzaga, etc….it would help it they can keep it going in the Big 10. 

………….

The game played out very much as expected in the pregame scout. 

…………

England native, Nebraska Forward Eleanor Dale now has 12 goals so far on the season. Raphino was tough as well for Brown. 

A little more efficiency finishing, vs Xavier and Brown, and non conference could have been 7-1 for SLU. The top 25 games are tough 90 minute battles and 1 or 2 mistakes combined with inefficient finishing can cost a team a win.

…………

Brown’s game with Wake Forest was canceled due to weather. BYU and Xavier are going to win a lot of games. Creighton is hanging around getting a few quality draws with Nebraska, Minnesota K-State, but they need to win some league games. Dayton had a pretty good non-conference season. UMass wasn’t bad either. Lifting the bottom of the league is also important. A few teams have done okay there, but some others not so much.

………..

Wow!   I didnt realize that BYU had moved up to #1.  Turns out this was an even more difficult nonconf schedule that I thought.   I vaguely remember that Loyola game last year being our toughest conference game, so I am on upset alert.      

Completely off topic - when I access slubillikens.com on my tablet (not on the SLU app) the Baylor University logo appears on my header pages.   Does this happen to anyone else or is my IPad haunted?   

22 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Wow!   I didnt realize that BYU had moved up to #1.  Turns out this was an even more difficult nonconf schedule that I thought.   I vaguely remember that Loyola game last year being our toughest conference game, so I am on upset alert.      

Completely off topic - when I access slubillikens.com on my tablet (not on the SLU app) the Baylor University logo appears on my header pages.   Does this happen to anyone else or is my IPad haunted?   

Sounds haunted to me.

50 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Doesn’t happen to me on my iPad, slubillikens.com looks normal to me

New 2025 SLU commit is Rylann Law, from Springfield, IL.

Rylann is a dynamic, pace forward who plays for SLSG and Glenwood High School in Chatham, Il. 

Previously she helped her Central Illinois United team to the U15 USYS National Championship Game where she was named to the national best 11 team. She has been an Illinois State and regional ODP player.

This past season, she helped lead the same team to the Girls Academy U16 National Quarterfinals. She was selected to multiple GA ID Camps.

And this year Rylann switched to SLSG for U17 season along with 2 of her teammates, including her twin sister Rowann. 

Rylann scored 42 goals while helping lead her high school team to the 2023 Illinois Class 2 State Championship. She was named All State IHSA and Chicagoland Soccer. 

slufanskip and JMM28 like this

Scouting the Loyola Ramblers

They often play a 4-2-3-1. 

Last year vs SLU they were up 1-0 and tied 0-0 at the half, before SLU changed formations both games to generate more offense. Then SLU outshot Loyola 28-3, and outscored Loyola 6-1 combined in those games. 

Loyola’s 3 star players have moved, Nemec is a grad transfer at Minnesota, Swanson and Kilburg ran out of eligibility. 

However, they return many other contributors, and they have added a few new promising pieces.

Well coached, well organized, Loyola passes well in its build up Cibulka/Cassidy wide to Hevey up through Harrison. And they get good spacing. Hevey to Harrison and vice versa is the strength of their attack. Hevey likes to cut inside. 

They lack numbers and experience up top with Eco and Harris providing pace behind the defense. Not a lot of target options and this is where their attack can break down. Cassidy takes a lot of free kicks and shots from distance. They are also experienced in goal as Lipkens is back. 

Loyola will be very competitive for much of the game. They play hard for 90 minutes. They have one goal games vs Illinois and Wisconsin, and they led KU in the 2nd half before falling. So it will take a good,’solid, road effort for a win tor SLU.

slufanskip likes this

New SLU commit is Adee Broesder from Lee’s Summit, MO (KC)

Adee plays both up top at Forward, and on the Wing with Sporting Blue Valley of the ECNL. She helped her 06 club team to the Champions League Playoffs along with her teammate and fellow SLU commit, Hope Kim. (2024).

She runs track for her high school, (400 & 800) Lee’s Summit West, where she was an all state performer. 

Adee played Super Cup Spring Soccer with Sporting Blue Valley instead of high school soccer.

Adee has also been a U16 USYNT pool player, as well as a top 50 InStat performer. (soccer analytics) And she is a TDS top 150 player.

slufanskip likes this

Win on the road against a tough Loyola-Chicago team, 1-0. SLU had plenty of chances, but couldn’t finish. Something to work on. Goal was by Lyndsey Heckel off a corner by Hannah Larson, so Heckel’s second goal of the season and Larson’s 6th assist of the season. Great goalkeeping by the Loyola-Chicago goalkeeper overall. SLU won shots 20-10, corners 8-2. Only bad thing to see was Sophia Stram going down with what looked like a knee injury, hopefully nothing severe. LaSalle Sunday at Hermann Stadium next. 

slufanskip and SLUBALLS like this

11 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Win on the road against a tough Loyola-Chicago team, 1-0. SLU had plenty of chances, but couldn’t finish. Something to work on. Goal was by Lyndsey Heckel off a corner by Hannah Larson, so Heckel’s second goal of the season and Larson’s 6th assist of the season. Great goalkeeping by the Loyola-Chicago goalkeeper overall. SLU won shots 20-10, corners 8-2. Only bad thing to see was Sophia Stram going down with what looked like a knee injury, hopefully nothing severe. LaSalle Sunday at Hermann Stadium next. 

There were moments in this game where the Billikens were pinging Loyola all over the field. Then there were moments where they were content to just punt and high press. Very frustrating. I don't really know where the ref saw the offside on the Billikens waived off goal.

I wish broadcasts would follow the KISS principal. SLU, for all the sh*t I give them, really doesn't try to do too much in their broadcasts and it works. Just give me a wide shot Mr. Half Field Camera Man.

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There were moments in this game where the Billikens were pinging Loyola all over the field. Then there were moments where they were content to just punt and high press. Very frustrating. I don't really know where the ref saw the offside on the Billikens waived off goal.

I wish broadcasts would follow the KISS principal. SLU, for all the sh*t I give them, really doesn't try to do too much in their broadcasts and it works. Just give me a wide shot Mr. Half Field Camera Man.

I wondered how that was offsides on that goal as well, but with only the camera angles from the broadcast it was impossible to say one way or the other. I also have to give a lot of credit to the Rambler keeper, she made some great saves at times, with a keeper who wasn’t as good SLU would have won 4-0 easily. 

Chris Allen got himself a yellow card, I wonder what he said? 

4 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I wondered how that was offsides on that goal as well, but with only the camera angles from the broadcast it was impossible to say one way or the other. I also have to give a lot of credit to the Rambler keeper, she made some great saves at times, with a keeper who wasn’t as good SLU would have won 4-0 easily. 

Chris Allen got himself a yellow card, I wonder what he said? 

Whatever he said probably included 4 letter words. Totally out of character for him 🤣

19 hours ago, courtside said:

Scouting the Loyola Ramblers

They often play a 4-2-3-1. 

Last year vs SLU they were up 1-0 and tied 0-0 at the half, before SLU changed formations both games to generate more offense. Then SLU outshot Loyola 28-3, and outscored Loyola 6-1 combined in those games. 

Loyola’s 3 star players have moved, Nemec is a grad transfer at Minnesota, Swanson and Kilburg ran out of eligibility. 

However, they return many other contributors, and they have added a few new promising pieces.

Well coached, well organized, Loyola passes well in its build up Cibulka/Cassidy wide to Hevey up through Harrison. And they get good spacing. Hevey to Harrison and vice versa is the strength of their attack. Hevey likes to cut inside. 

They lack numbers and experience up top with Eco and Harris providing pace behind the defense. Not a lot of target options and this is where their attack can break down. Cassidy takes a lot of free kicks and shots from distance. They are also experienced in goal as Lipkens is back. 

Loyola will be very competitive for much of the game. They play hard for 90 minutes. They have one goal games vs Illinois and Wisconsin, and they led KU in the 2nd half before falling. So it will take a good,’solid, road effort for a win tor SLU.

SLU 1 Loyola 0 

Rogers Park. 

4-2-3-1 for both.

In 3 games vs Loyola the past 2 seasons, SLU has played a 4-2-3-1 exclusively in 4 of those 6 halves. In those 4 halves SLU has 1 goal. In the 2 halves where SLU has played a 4–2-3-1, SLU has 6 goals.

……………

As expected, Loyola played hard for 90 minutes, and they did so with a very limited bench too. Roughly similar to the Brown game, there is a tendency to stay in a 4-2-3-1 for the 2nd half after a strong first half. And while the run of play was fine in the 2nd for both games, goal production was limited. Sometimes it’s a matter of having more numbers to gain a competitive advantage.

SLU had lots of pressure early. Houck free kick. Miller header off of  Luebbert corner tipped over the bar. Heckel header off of the ensuing corner was going in the corner of the goal but knocked away by Kelly trying to deflect it in the goal.

Miller, Simon, and Larson controlled the midfield, forced several turnovers there and did not allow diagonal balls. That group was strong on the ball in the middle of the field, took the space to the attacking third. Best game for Simon thus far. 

Having an extra attacker helps finishing efficiency from the wings and the middle.

…………

Loyola Failed clear on service from Groark, Simon walked in alone but she went high near post instead of on the ground far post. 

And that’s really the area of opportunity against Loyola, East West service in the attacking third and on set pieces in attacking areas. Run of play East West service allows for mismatches, 2nd runners etc…

……………

Another Houck free kick, off of the bar and point blank Heckel header over the goal. 

Loyola is going to defend with numbers, but set pieces allows SLU to match those numbers and create more dangerous opportunities. Otherwise you have 4 attacking players going up against 8 defenders often.

…………..

Loyola had a chance with Hevey making a run up left wing, cutting in for service. Defended fine but the far post clear was back up the middle instead of letting it pass and pushing it wide.

……………

Immediately after, Kelly sent Gaebe in who got past two defenders and cut in for a 15 yard finish but nice job back tracking by Bierker to just get a piece to deflect it wide.

…………..

Gaebe to N Preusser inside the 18 but she fanned on a far post shot wide.

SLU made a few more diagonal runs from the wings. But again, that’s right into the numbers of the defense inside the final 20 yards. Stretching the width, winning set pieces, and final third defensive pressure forcing turnovers in the middle of the field created much of the offensive threats for SLU.

………….

SLU could have had 4 or 5 goals in the first half. So instead of say 2-0, it’s 0-0. And that allows Loyola to keep playing the same formation. shape etc…in the 2nd half. SLU was good with its first half pressure so they didn’t make any formation changes, confident they would eventually get a lead.

…………..

After making several saves, Lipkens gained more and more confidence in goal for Loyola.

Season high saves for Lipkens. Xavier’s keeper also had a season high in saves, and so on, a common theme for some teams vs SLU this season.

…………

2nd half. 

………..

Immediate pressure. Kelly wins a 50/50 ball to Groark to Gaebe in alone from the right side. Lipkens made a great save leaving her line, 10 yards out. 

………….

Loyola had a rare nice build up from Cassidy through to Harrison to Hevey up the middle on the ground. 

………….

Sometimes people ask why does this player play ot why doesn’t that player play more etc….example: 

Carol Kelly battled and battled on the wing, not her natural position, defending, winning 50/50 balls, being a menace. It is isn’t as exciting as some other plays but it’s effective. Groark defends. and gets good positioning etc….those things matter too.

…………..

SLU’s first goal came in the 55th minute. Another midfield free kick won for SLU. Houck launches into the box for a Heckel flick on goal. Offsides was inexplicably called. Several SLU players positioned themselves behind the defense after the ball was in the air. Offsides was called super late, meaning no one lined up offsides. It was a legit goal. 0-0. Instead of 3 or 4 or 5 to zero.

………….

Immediately after that, Larson forces another turnover, diagonal ball to Kelly who overpowers the defender in alone from 8 yards out. Lipkens again comes off of her line and gets in front of the blast. Another point blank chance for SLU.

And of all of these chances were just 55 minutes into the game.

…………

Larson wins another turnover, eventually back to Simon, to Gaebe who puts the bouncing half volley over the goal from inside the penalty spot.

…………..

Larson again, to Gabe wide to Sawyer. As was the case many other times, 8 defenders for Loyola, and the play gets broken up inside the 18 top of the box.

………….

Off of a throw in Gaebe drags a defender into the box being grabbed, held, even holding hands, no call. Sometimes officials don’t give Gaebe a call because of her strength shedding tacklers.

…………

One mistake can cost you a game sometimes. And SLU fanned multiple times on a clear, but Loyola couldn’t capitalize and fanned on a point blank chance from 5 yards in the 78th minute.

…………

SLU goal. Larson again, wins the ball and a free kick foul at midfield. 

Houck service headed out for a corner. Larson service to Heckel for the goal. 1-0. 

SLU had a about a dozen high level chances in the game, and scored two, one of which counted. It was enough for the road win. 

……………

Chris Allen received a yellow card for pointing out the deliberate, Loyola stall tactics later in the game with the score 0-0. He wanted the ref to get it under control and to have the clock stopped when it happened. The clock operator was a problem. That person wasn’t stopping the clock even when the ref called for it.  It was an effective bench yellow for SLU as the clock stopped several times after that in the next 10 minutes before SLU scored the game winning goal.

It also came immediately after a Loyola hand ball and after Gaebe was pulled down without a call. The Loyola keeper literally went and grabbed a drink of water on a goal kick. 

………..

The official scorekeeper had trouble understanding the difference between a shot and a pass at times. But this didn’t affect the overall stars too much.

…………

The official was consistent with some of the many yellow cards. He gave them whenever a defender grabbed or non ball tackled a player from behind which impeded their advantage. Kelly received a card late after repeatedly being warmed about standing over the ball killing time. She threw her arms up on a throw in, easy call. 

………….

Shots were officially listed as 20-10 and corners 8-2. Loyola had a few less shots than that and SLU had a few more but it was close enough.

…………

As expected Loyola played a hard 90 minutes. SLU found a way to win. 

…………

Lots of SLU commits and future targets at the game. Here are some of the Chicago and Milwaukee commits:

https://x.com/astanciak2025/status/1702694869645369789?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

OkieBilliken likes this

4-0 win over LaSalle, very nice overall, but LaSalle really seemed to park the bus for the first half and allowed the Billikens to retain control of the ball, but packed the back line to limit our chances. Only 5 shots on goal the first half, 0-0 at halftime, and that was a result of Emily Purcelli making a great save late in the first half. Scoring started in the second half, Emily Gaebe got fouled in the box and Lyndsey Heckel got the PK goal. Gaebe got her revenge for the foul with a goal, then Hannah Sawyer got a nice goal, then Emily Gaebe got another, and it was pretty much over at that point. The LaSalle head coach got a yellow card, I hope he keeps his blood pressure medicine handy, and an assistant got another.

Sophia Stram who went down late in the Loy-Chi game was there, but her right ankle was taped and she didn’t play. Didn’t stop her from dancing before the game with Caroline Kelly and Lyndsey Heckel for a bit as per usual, so hopefully nothing too serious. Macy Lutz got the start in her place. Overall a nice game by everyone, Dayton up next in a week.

cgeldmacher likes this

SLU 4 La Salle 0

4-2-3-1 vs 4-5-1

First minutes of the season tor Alyssa Bockius at holding midfield, 40 of them. Long way back after some set backs and past hip surgery. This also allowed Nina Preusser to move up to her more experienced attacking center mid position. 

3 times Jordan Gary kept the play alive to help lead to 3 Billiken goals.

If an opposing team is going to sit 8 or 9 behind the ball, you have to make them move East/West with pace and play diagonal balls over the top of the defense. You also need numbers, which is why SLU switched to a 4-1-3-2 for the 2nd half which was successful. 

Not a fan of PK’s called unless the foul prevents a high level scoring chance. And this one did. So it was a good call.  2 goals finished and another created for Gaebe. And another game with good runs and service at outside back with Schreiber, Luebbert etc...something that takes a little time with new players but has been getting better and better.

Another strong game defending for Larson ok the wing. 

Macy Lutz is capable of starting at center back for SLU. Lots of high level experience with one of the country’s best club teams in Michigan. 

Injuries, as previously mentioned, Jackson and Schwartz have had long term re-occurring knee injuries. Stram has an ankle injury, and she’s had past ankle surgery, but she will be fine. 
……………

RPI before Sunday’s games:

SLU 26

BYU 13

Nebraska 18

Xavier 19

………….

Utah State is not having a good season, but they did get one of the win’s of the year, handing BYU it’s first loss of the season in Logan. Not easy to keep playing every Thurs/Sat. They had an electric sold out battle with TCU 2 days prior

Xavier dropped a little bit with a midfield set piece goal loss at Lamar. But they had a good bounce back at Rice. 

Nebraska was 2 minutes from victory over a good Wisconsin team but had to settle for a draw late. Another goal for Dale.

……………

SLU:

Top Drawer Soccer: 14

College Soccer News: 23

United Soccer Coaches: Most votes not in top 25.

RPI: 29

……………….

SLU opponent RPI:

RPI:

BYU: 12

Nebraska 18

Xavier 30

Creighton: 46

Brown: 63

………………

RPI by League:

Power 5

ACC: 

13 of 14 teams are in the top 145. 7 are in the RPI top 30. 

SEC:

14 of 14 teams are in the RPI top 120. 8 teams are in the RPI top 50. 12 teams are in the RPI top 100.

Big 10:

13 of 14 teams are in the RPI top 100. 8 teams are in the RPI top 50.

Pac 12: 

9 of 12 teams are in the RPI top 100. 5 teams are in the RPI top 50.

Big 12:

9 of 14 teams are in the RPI top 100. 6 teams are in the RPI top 50. 

Pac 12:

9 of 14 teams are in the RPI top 100. 6 teams are in the RPI top 50.

Combined, the Power 5 has 2 teams out of 68 with an RPI of worse than 150.

…………….

The next tier of 4.

IVY:

5 of 8 teams are in the RPI top 100.

WCC:

5 of 9 teams are in the RPI top 100.

AAC:

7 of 12 teams are in the RPI top 150.

Big East:

6 of 11 teams are in the RPI top 100.

*Note recent conference reshuffling hurt the AAC and WCC a little bit this season. Otherwise they would be even a little bit better.

…………..

MVC:

0 of 11 teams in the RPI top 75. 3 of 11 teams in the RPI top 150.

(I included the MVC only because some people are curious about it as a league.) 

……………..

Atlantic 10:

4 of 14 teams are in the RPI top 150. 3 of 14 are in the top 100. 9 of 14 are 200 or worse. 7 of 14 are 250 or worse. 

…………….

SLU Women’s Soccer has won 70% or more of its league games for the past 7 straight seasons.

SLU has also won the conference tournament the past 5 straight seasons by a combined championship score of 18-4. 

Regular season league domination, combined with getting non-conference results against a strong non-conference schedule, has elevated SLU into a top 25 program in recent seasons. 

…………..

Dayton, VCU, Loyola, and UMass all have the potential to be consistent top 100 programs, and, closer to top 50. They need to get better non-conference results, but they are scheduling better, and they are getting closer. 

………….

HoosierPal likes this