2020 - 2021 SLU on the Radio / TV

HoosierPal

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach's Show with Rammer:  You can find it on KMOX Sports Facebook.

Reviewed Dayton Game:  Game showed why it takes 8 weeks to get ready to play rather than 3 days. But once ball is thrown up, you have to play.  Dayton was coming off a tough loss and they were locked in.  We shot 52%, 20 A, 10 TO, but we were trading 3's for 2's.  When we tied the game, Crutcher said "No".  We didn't have the fight to finish the game.  We didn't have that next gear.  We played hard, but we didn't play hard with a purpose.  Rammer:  why only two O Reb?  Ford:  We didn't go.  If you don't go, you aren't going to get the ball.  If you don't go, you are easy to box out.  Yes this has been addressed.

Richmond:  Ford, "I'm not allowed to get into a lot of this.  I don't understand why we can't talk about it, but I can't.  There was not enough factual information put out there where people could take out of it what they want.  We were there ready to play.  Our doctors (plural) made the decision that it was best to not play.  I don't want to throw anyone under the bus.  Our doctors thought it was cut and dry what we needed to do.  They were steadfast, as they continued gained more information.  Sure we were disappointed but we didn't want to do anything that would cost us later.  Our doctors explained it to me, and I totally understood and was in agreement.  We know how quick this can spread through Tier 1 personnel."  

Rammer:  with Richmond now on quarantine, SLU Medicine got it right.  Ford: "I can't get into that.  I hate that for Chris Mooney.  You don't want that for anybody.  Our doctors must have magical powers.  Our doctors told me what was going to happen."  

Ford:  Chris May stood up for our program.  He made the decision he had to make for the best interest of our program.  I saw a lot of shots on social media that threw us under the bus.  I don't know what people thought was going on.  He showed incredible leadership when there were a lot of different things coming his way.  It wasn't easy, 24-48 hours later.  We knew why we made our decision.  We couldn't tell social media why we made the decision.  

LaSalle Game.  LaSalle is up and down. Deciding which LaSalle team shows up makes this difficult.  They won at Dayton and at Richmond.  They play zone and some man and go 9 deep.  I wish I had played more people in the Dayton game, but we were in a hole.  We need to use our bench more.  LaSalle has depth.  

St. Bonnie on Saturday.  Ford: I have heard we will add more fans into Chaifetz.  But this changes day to day. Everyone's hope is to continue to add fans. St. Bonnie is like us in that they had their top players returning this season. 

Talked a little about how the NCAA Selection Committee will put together the tourney.  It will be tough to judge a team that has more games in than another team with fewer games.  [Not much else new here.]  

Coach Chaney:  Ford, we played Temple twice when I was at UMass.  I was always impressed with his 1-3-1 zone, and his 5 am practices every single morning.  No one was doing that back then.  I went 1 and 1 against him.  We played him at home, and won pretty big.  Went down to Philly and we had 9 points at half time.  Chaney wasn't going to let that happen to him again.  

Today is the anniversary of Spoon's death:  Ford didn't know Coach Spoon but since he has been here, he has heard a lot of good stories.  He does know Jay Spoon.  He has gotten to know Coach Grawer.

Coaches that have influenced Coach Ford:  Mentioned his dad first, says he still knows more about basketball than he does.  Don Parson, his HS school, has won over 800 games.  Played V as an 8th grader, so spent 5 years under him.  One year with Norm, three years with Pitino.  He has taken a lot of his coaching from these two.  A lot of how we prepare is from Coach Pitino.  X's and O's are important, but the challenge is getting the team to do what you want them to do, on the court.  Communication and relationships are the key.

Key against LaSalle; take care of the ball.  Be prepared for them to change defense.  [We have to test daily in Philly.]

Thank You 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Billboy1 said:

Why can't coach's show be on KMOX each week. If they want to be the voice of the Bills they should do a broadcast.

They are doing it as a podcast. You can find it on KMOX Sports Facebook page each Monday. Rammer and Coach tape it early Monday morning and replay it in the evening on the radio.  But it is available early Monday morning. This one is worth finding and listening/watching.  You could tell there was some frustration with Coach, but he circled back with some high compliments on how AD Chris May handled the Richmond situation.

20 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach's Show with Rammer:  You can find it on KMOX Sports Facebook.

Reviewed Dayton Game:  Game showed why it takes 8 weeks to get ready to play rather than 3 days. But once ball is thrown up, you have to play.  Dayton was coming off a tough loss and they were locked in.  We shot 52%, 20 A, 10 TO, but we were trading 3's for 2's.  When we tied the game, Crutcher said "No".  We didn't have the fight to finish the game.  We didn't have that next gear.  We played hard, but we didn't play hard with a purpose.  Rammer:  why only two O Reb?  Ford:  We didn't go.  If you don't go, you aren't going to get the ball.  If you don't go, you are easy to box out.  Yes this has been addressed.

Richmond:  Ford, "I'm not allowed to get into a lot of this.  I don't understand why we can't talk about it, but I can't.  There was not enough factual information put out there where people could take out of it what they want.  We were there ready to play.  Our doctors (plural) made the decision that it was best to not play.  I don't want to throw anyone under the bus.  Our doctors thought it was cut and dry what we needed to do.  They were steadfast, as they continued gained more information.  Sure we were disappointed but we didn't want to do anything that would cost us later.  Our doctors explained it to me, and I totally understood and was in agreement.  We know how quick this can spread through Tier 1 personnel."  

Rammer:  with Richmond now on quarantine, SLU Medicine got it right.  Ford: "I can't get into that.  I hate that for Chris Mooney.  You don't want that for anybody.  Our doctors must have magical powers.  Our doctors told me what was going to happen."  

Ford:  Chris May stood up for our program.  He made the decision he had to make for the best interest of our program.  I saw a lot of shots on social media that threw us under the bus.  I don't know what people thought was going on.  He showed incredible leadership when there were a lot of different things coming his way.  It wasn't easy, 24-48 hours later.  We knew why we made our decision.  We couldn't tell social media why we made the decision.  

LaSalle Game.  LaSalle is up and down. Deciding which LaSalle team shows up makes this difficult.  They won at Dayton and at Richmond.  They play zone and some man and go 9 deep.  I wish I had played more people in the Dayton game, but we were in a hole.  We need to use our bench more.  LaSalle has depth.  

St. Bonnie on Saturday.  Ford: I have heard we will add more fans into Chaifetz.  But this changes day to day. Everyone's hope is to continue to add fans. St. Bonnie is like us in that they had their top players returning this season. 

Talked a little about how the NCAA Selection Committee will put together the tourney.  It will be tough to judge a team that has more games in than another team with fewer games.  [Not much else new here.]  

Coach Chaney:  Ford, we played Temple twice when I was at UMass.  I was always impressed with his 1-3-1 zone, and his 5 am practices every single morning.  No one was doing that back then.  I went 1 and 1 against him.  We played him at home, and won pretty big.  Went down to Philly and we had 9 points at half time.  Chaney wasn't going to let that happen to him again.  

Today is the anniversary of Spoon's death:  Ford didn't know Coach Spoon but since he has been here, he has heard a lot of good stories.  He does know Jay Spoon.  He has gotten to know Coach Grawer.

Coaches that have influenced Coach Ford:  Mentioned his dad first, says he still knows more about basketball than he does.  Don Parson, his HS school, has won over 800 games.  Played V as an 8th grader, so spent 5 years under him.  One year with Norm, three years with Pitino.  He has taken a lot of his coaching from these two.  A lot of how we prepare is from Coach Pitino.  X's and O's are important, but the challenge is getting the team to do what you want them to do, on the court.  Communication and relationships are the key.

Key against LaSalle; take care of the ball.  Be prepared for them to change defense.  [We have to test daily in Philly.]

-great recap, I did listen and my conclusion is CFord obviously wanted to play but came around to agree with the SLU medical team and the part you have in bold is impressive for the medical team to accurately predict what was to come

-the part about not using enough of the bench against SVU, there was an opening for Rammer to ask a question like 'can an assistant coach sub for a player?' or 'is the rotation entirely your decision?' 

HoosierPal likes this

34 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-great recap, I did listen and my conclusion is CFord obviously wanted to play but came around to agree with the SLU medical team and the part you have in bold is impressive for the medical team to accurately predict what was to come

-the part about not using enough of the bench against SVU, there was an opening for Rammer to ask a question like 'can an assistant coach sub for a player?' or 'is the rotation entirely your decision?' 

Good comment on the bench.  Most MBM's have that question on the Dayton game.

Two things that stood out on the show were first, Coach saying he didn't understand why he couldn't talk about SLU's position.  I found that to be interesting.

Second was that he interrupted Rammer, and went back to the Richmond topic to compliment AD May, saying that he did what he had to while social media was slamming him.  Coach really stood up for May and the medical team.

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Good comment on the bench.  Most MBM's have that question on the Dayton game.

Two things that stood out on the show were first, Coach saying he didn't understand why he couldn't talk about SLU's position.  I found that to be interesting.

Second was that he interrupted Rammer, and went back to the Richmond topic to compliment AD May, saying that he did what he had to while social media was slamming him.  Coach really stood up for May and the medical team.

-I agree, the cloak and dagger in full effect, perhaps not to upset a fellow conference member

51 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I agree, the cloak and dagger in full effect, perhaps not to upset a fellow conference member

I guess Richmond didn't get that same memo....

At this point I suppose nothing more needs to be said, but it had to be frustrating to make a decision that was clearly justified (and that has since been proven to be the correct decision) only to be called out for it by your opponent. Can't be fun to have only one side presented to the media that folks then run with. Disappointing that Richmond didn't follow the same tact.

31 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I guess Richmond didn't get that same memo....

At this point I suppose nothing more needs to be said, but it had to be frustrating to make a decision that was clearly justified (and that has since been proven to be the correct decision) only to be called out for it by your opponent. Can't be fun to have only one side presented to the media that folks then run with. Disappointing that Richmond didn't follow the same tact.

-not correct that the only calling out came from Richmond, we had posters on here doing it 

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-not correct that the only calling out came from Richmond, we had posters on here doing it 

I didn't intend to imply Richmond was the only one calling out SLU as that wasn't the point of my post. I meant it had to be frustrating for SLU and the program to have a justifiable decision be called out by a conference opponent like that when May and SLU were under the impression that it was not to be discussed and their medical staff had a very credible concern. Keep it in the room so to say. Not only did they not do that, but now they look like complete idiots for calling SLU out like they did.

5 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Cowboy, it's quite a bit different for a few MBM's on a Billikens' message board posting a personal belief as opposed to the Richmond AD doing it publicly to the news media.   

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I didn't intend to imply Richmond was the only one calling out SLU as that wasn't the point of my post. I meant it had to be frustrating for SLU and the program to have a justifiable decision be called out by a conference opponent like that when May and SLU were under the impression that it was not to be discussed and their medical staff had a very credible concern. Keep it in the room so to say. Not only did they not do that, but now they look like complete idiots for calling SLU out like they did.

-I got your point, I was using your post to make my point and your post I am replying to here continues to add to my point, but probably time to move on

TheChosenOne likes this

Coach on with Frank this morning:  "We just need to play games.  Missing the Richmond game, we played one game in 42 games.  You get your rhythm back in games.  We can be a great game when the bench comes in as plays as they did. We just haven't put it all together."

In practice, we have done game simulations, scrimmages, maybe too much.  We may need more drill work, detail items.  We were so concerned about getting in shape we may have gone too far.  At this time of the year you normally don't do drill work.  Have been trying to balance getting guys into shape without wearing them out. 

We are still okay (with the NCAA).  We have some big games coming up and we do have to play better.  The NCAA tourney will take care of itself.  St. Bonnie is the hottest team in the league.  The Richmond postponement really messed up the rhythm they were working on. 

How did medical personnel make the Richmond game call:  "Started with what we have been through.  Saw how it spread through our team, we understood how this thing could move.  We got phone calls on certain things while at Richmond.  We got the facts, and the medical staff said we can't take the risk."

Are you seeing the effects of Covid still in your players?  12 of 16 players were positive.  We are still figuring this out.  We don't want to make excuses.  Everyone has issues.  We have talked about December and how good we were, but not too much.  We need to be the best version of ourselves now.  

St. Bonnie:  They are 9-1 and 7-1 in the conference.  As good a starting five as anyone in the country.  Lofton, 6'3" with an NBA body.  Their 4 man might be the most athletic in the country.  They have a great tradition, great crowds under normal circumstances.   They had a pause very early in the season.

• HoosierPal changed the title to 2020 - 2021 SLU on the Radio / TV
17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach on with Frank this morning:  "We just need to play games.  Missing the Richmond game, we played one game in 42 games.  You get your rhythm back in games.  We can be a great game when the bench comes in as plays as they did. We just haven't put it all together."

In practice, we have done game simulations, scrimmages, maybe too much.  We may need more drill work, detail items.  We were so concerned about getting in shape we may have gone too far.  At this time of the year you normally don't do drill work.  Have been trying to balance getting guys into shape without wearing them out. 

We are still okay (with the NCAA).  We have some big games coming up and we do have to play better.  The NCAA tourney will take care of itself.  St. Bonnie is the hottest team in the league.  The Richmond postponement really messed up the rhythm they were working on. 

How did medical personnel make the Richmond game call:  "Started with what we have been through.  Saw how it spread through our team, we understood how this thing could move.  We got phone calls on certain things while at Richmond.  We got the facts, and the medical staff said we can't take the risk."

Are you seeing the effects of Covid still in your players?  12 of 16 players were positive.  We are still figuring this out.  We don't want to make excuses.  Everyone has issues.  We have talked about December and how good we were, but not too much.  We need to be the best version of ourselves now.  

St. Bonnie:  They are 9-1 and 7-1 in the conference.  As good a starting five as anyone in the country.  Lofton, 6'3" with an NBA body.  Their 4 man might be the most athletic in the country.  They have a great tradition, great crowds under normal circumstances.   They had a pause very early in the season.

-wow, finally a definitive statement on the number of players, i think the reason we got this number is we have lost two games and want the committee to be aware

12 of 16. 30 days off of everything; conditioning and practice. 2 games in 42 days. Richmond had to be a blow to the players. It's effecting everyone differently. My grandson who got it, 18 and plays HS hockey but not in condition like these guys are, still gets fatigued easily says my daughter. Of course he may be trying to get out of chores. His first week after recovery he still hadn't recovered his taste or smell. Said he didn't fell like eating because it felt like he was eating paper. Point is we just don't know a lot about how are guys have been affected. I wish Frank had asked about TJ. The only reason I can think he's seen no minutes to speak of since we came back is he's not made a full recovery. 

Stu gave some more information on the Billikens Beat podcast with BenFred.

The mechanical failure with the plane was a "one the engines wouldn't start".  Sounds lame to me.

With the layover on Philly, they spent the day Thursday in Philly.  They have missed 3 days of activity in the last 7.

Based on what we know, BenFred said it was a good thing we didn't play Richmond.  Richmond has tried to separate their pause as based on Saturday tests and not the Friday decision. 

Stu said that Ford isn't focusing on getting back to where they were before the pause, but being the best team they can be moving forward.  LaSalle is not a good rebounding team, so winning the board battle by 2 demonstrates a rebounding issue continuing from Dayton.   

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Stu gave some more information on the Billikens Beat podcast with BenFred.

The mechanical failure with the plane was a "one the engines wouldn't start".  Sounds lame to me.

Care to elaborate on why that sounds lame to you? Genuinely curious.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Care to elaborate on why that sounds lame to you? Genuinely curious.

Obviously a conspiracy.  It's a plot by the Atlantic 10 to undermine the Billikens and not let them get into the NCAA Tourney.  

The league gave us Covid.

The Richmond situation was all put together by the CIA.  Richmond is 'faking' their pause to make it more believable.

The engine wires were cut by Deep Throat.

(Do I need blue font, or is it obvious I'm kidding?)

drkelsey55 likes this

Coach on The MightyMOX this morning. 

"A step in the right direction.  Even without what we have been through, yesterday would have been a big win."

Bad taste left over from LaSalle.  He credited that as one reason for the fast start.

Perkins, yes he has struggled.  He struggled in the first half, but we ran 'quick hit plays' for him in the second half.  He is doing a much better job in finding the open man when he is covered.

Complimented Linssen on his game and his importance to the program.  Early in the year (pre-pause), Linssen was a major factor with his experience. 

Goodwin showed joy and emotion on the bench and after the game, even though he didn't play as much as normal.

Team has been wanting to turn it on, but they couldn't.  Saw a beginning of a chance in mentality in the meeting after they finally got home from Philly.

8 pm tip for Rhody.  Late game.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach on The MightyMOX this morning. 

"A step in the right direction.  Even without what we have been through, yesterday would have been a big win."

Bad taste left over from LaSalle.  He credited that as one reason for the fast start.

Perkins, yes he has struggled.  He struggled in the first half, but we ran 'quick hit plays' for him in the second half.  He is doing a much better job in finding the open man when he is covered.

Complimented Linssen on his game and his importance to the program.  Early in the year (pre-pause), Linssen was a major factor with his experience. 

Goodwin showed joy and emotion on the bench and after the game, even though he didn't play as much as normal.

Team has been wanting to turn it on, but they couldn't.  Saw a beginning of a chance in mentality in the meeting after they finally got home from Philly.

8 pm tip for Rhody.  Late game.

Was there a mention of Perkins injury? Was it just an ankle? Low grade sprain? It looked like it could be a hyperextended knee, which would be a problem.

15 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Was there a mention of Perkins injury? Was it just an ankle? Low grade sprain? It looked like it could be a hyperextended knee, which would be a problem.

No, no discussion on Perkins or Jacobs (or Goodwin) possible injuries.  Frankly it was a pretty weak session.  But better than nothing.

Rammer and the Coach this morning.  Find it on KMOX Sports Facebook or tonight on KMOX. (No commercials on Facebook.)

Coach didn't see much of a response from the team in the LaSalle game.  Guys weren't connected.  He saw a change in the St. Bonnie game.  Saw the intensity, a sense of urgency.  Coach said we were terrible in one on one defense against LaSalle.  We were undisciplined and sometimes we just got beat.  We were on our heals defensively.  LaSalle hit more 3's then their average.  This has been a common denominator in our losses.  Mostly defense, but we forced too much against LaSalle, taking too many difficult shots.  The coaches label each shot, good, bad or difficult.  Bad shots are ones you shouldn't take.  Difficult shots are ones taken in a wrong way, such as off the wrong foot making it a low % shot.

Got to the plane in Philly at 11 pm.  Got on the plane, fully loaded, guys in seats, and an engine doesn't start.  Pilots tried for 30 min and then called maintenance.  Team called the buses and hotel to see if they can leave.  Guys got off the plane and went into the terminal.  An hour later, it got called off.  Players got to rooms about 1:30 am.  Didn't leave the next day until 4:30 pm.  Arrived STL 6:30 pm.  Pretty much a lost day.

One day to prepare for St. B.  Coach likes to have practice over 24 hours before the game time.  But couldn't get that done on Friday as the St. B game was early.  Got onto court around 3 pm.  Had a lot to do, but coaches saw the chemistry, the energy was better.  They cut the practice shorter than planed, leaving Ford with a sleepless night as he worried that he didn't get enough done.   Coach normally knows the feel of his team, like if they practice well day before a game, it carries over, or vice versa.  This year, with the break, he doesn't have that same feel.

St. B was the first early game we have had.  It is a different prep.  Dealing with young men who don't necessarily go to sleep as you want them to.  Plus we are the only team in the Central Time Zone, so the game was 'later' for St. B. 

Rammer mentioned the football pass, pre-game.  (Posted on the GDT)  Goodwin QB, hits Yuri on a quick pass, then a alley-op pass to Strickland.  Coach, they do this in practice some.  "Team Together Time (TTT) without the coaches" is what Coach called this.  The team did this every day pre-covid, but had stopped or skipped this.  This TTT works due to the leadership on the this team.  If he didn't have these good leaders, he would have to show the team how to lead and he would be more involved with TTT.  Coach said the leadership on this team started with Davell Roby and then continued with Javon Bess.  Javon was Team First.  He didn't talk a lot, but when he talked everyone listened.  Good for Jordan and Hasahn to be around these guys.

St. B game: Bonnies had some of the best D numbers in the country.  Our offense had to step up, from everybody includes everything - screening, passing, scoring.  Coach was worried about their big wings.  They run a ton of plays, a lot of action, most we have seen this year. 

Said the early O Rebound by French and pass out of Perkins for the three was a key for the start.  Thatch's dish to Jacobs later on was what he wants. Thatch drove, the D collapsed, and he found Jacobs.

Yuri had stayed after practice on Friday shooting.  It paid off on Saturday with his early three.  Had a few uncharacteristic TO's, but his positives highly outweighed his negatives. 

Linssen has great intentions.  He just wants to play hard, sometimes too hard as he gets out of position.  He is second most vocal on the team behind Goodwin.  Hasahn did a lot of little things that helped, even though he didn't score.  Team saw that.  Coach said Bell played well in back to back games. 

Second half French pass out to Perkins for a three started his run.  We know teams will double French, so we have a plan for that.  Good to see the execution.  French is unselfish as he doesn't mind throwing it out when doubled.  Linssen's defense was good all night.  St. B runs so many sets with the 5 setting screens, our bigs had a lot of responsibilities on the screens.

Rhode Island:  We had to take Sunday off as normal.  First prep is today.  This is a big game for SLU due to the few games we have played.  Get back to 0.500 with a win.  Fatts Russell seems like he has been around forever.  Rhody has a lot of veteran transfers.  

A10 schedule has gotten more confusing these last few days with UMass pausing.  Hasn't heard any schedule adjustments from the league for SLU.

[No mention of any players being injured.]