GDT: Hawk + Buckshot = Hawk Does Die.

Taj79

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there but went for dinner with friends afterwards. This is what I saw: we started playing very well and after 10 minutes or so spent building a significant lead, the Joeys kind of woke up and started playing just as we were losing our drive and confidence. I have no idea what happened there but for most of the rest of the game we played pretty poorly. The refs were a curse on us, as usual. We gave up a 15+ point advantage in the first half. Until about the middle of the second half we continued playing poorly but managed to regain some ground. Then in the last 10 minutes we woke up again from our slumber and started playing to win. We did win this game by 1 point. I cannot understand why the other guy drove to the basket when he needed a 3 pointer to tie the game but he did and lost the game with his last basket. We won the game. It felt good to win but it was not a game well played by our team. 

I do not know if we can beat LaSalle or Richmond but it would surely be nice if we did. As of now we have 10 wins to our credit. This is a significant achievement coming from a team that after the pre-conference play was pronounced incapable of winning much of anything else, the probabilities were against us in this regard. Well we managed to win a few more games more than we were expected to. The team has done better than was expected at that dark time after the pre-conference games. Ford has done a great job coaching them. We should be ready now for the final games of the season and for the A10 tournament; maybe we will win a couple more games, who  knows? 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

This is a significant achievement coming from a team that after the pre-conference play was pronounced incapable of winning much of anything else, the probabilities were against us in this regard. Well we managed to win a few more games more than we were expected to. The team has done better than was expected at that dark time after the pre-conference games. Ford has done a great job coaching them. 

we were predicted to go winless in atlantic 10 play before it started by Ken Pomeroy. we had a 20% chance, the most in the NCAA, to not win a game. Yet, here we are with a chance to win 6, maybe more. Great coaching and motivation by Ford

The only thing I can think off is about that last play of the game by St. Joes was that the guy wanted to pad his stats and figured he could not hit a 3.  Just kidding - surely the fact that Martelli had used up all his time outs there was a communication glitch trying to get the word out to the players on the court.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The only thing I can think off is about that last play of the game by St. Joes was that the guy wanted to pad his stats and figured he could not hit a 3.  Just kidding - surely the fact that Martelli had used up all his time outs there was a communication glitch trying to get the word out to the players on the court.

Maybe he didn't listen to his teammates, coach, look at the scoreboard during the free throws, realize there were only 6 seconds left in the game, or his instinct was to go to the easy lane for the lay-up

The last game where we lead by three Ford had us foul instead of allowing the three point shot. The St Joe kid must have thought we would foul him this time and get an old fassion 3.

How did the baby race turn out? We talked about entering Baby Pistol, but knew it'd be speculative at the time - he just started crawling a few weeks ago. (We didn't want to risk a non-crawler or embarrass ourselves with a Baby Box and Won-like performance.)

Looked like one of the male cheerleader's kid won the thing.

I agree that the lack of time outs for Martelli was responsible for the lay up rather than three point try, but still the kid should have the game awareness to know what is going on.

Coach in the post game comments said he put Neufeld in to draw a foul on the 40% FT shooter for StJ and he failed miserably.  MN got an earful from Ford on his way back to the bench.

The baby race was funny. One of the kids just shot out at the very start of the race going straight for the other side and then lost interest a couple of feet away from the goal and just sat down on the canvas and watched the others win the race. You can never tell what a child that age is going to do.

28 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The baby race was funny. One of the kids just shot out at the very start of the race going straight for the other side and then lost interest a couple of feet away from the goal and just sat down on the canvas and watched the others win the race. You can never tell what a child that age is going to do.

Standard operating procedure for the baby race.  There's always one kid who jumps out to a huge lead then completely freezes roughly three quarters of the way through.

21 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Standard operating procedure for the baby race.  There's always one kid who jumps out to a huge lead then completely freezes roughly three quarters of the way through.

I taped the game and watched it last night.  When Crawford was getting his bloody nose fixed, the announcers commented that there was a blood issue during the baby race.  I didn't catch that.  Any first hand reports?  Paramedics?  Gloved trainers?  Refs blowing a stop to the race?

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Clearly the gamblers got to the kid. Rigged I tell you, rigged!!