The Bills over Chic St by 11

The Wiz

No...it is not a typo...we are projected to win ...by double digits. 

Chi St ( F- ) played a weak  Bradley team ( D+ ) last night and got blown out by more than 30 pts.  Now a fatigued Cougar team comes limping into the Fetz to play the rested Bills.( F+ )

This game shall be known as the Battle for the Bottom...2 F teams battle to see who is the least horrible (don't forget the plus and minus after the F)  More specifically , one of the worst defenses in the country ( them)  vs one of the worst offenses in the country ( us ).

What do we need to do to win?....Play D...The Cougars have some offense  and if we play bad offensively (hmm...a pun and an oxymoron) Chi St has just enough offense to beat us. There can be no sub 20% 3pt shooting game for the Bills.  In addition we should win any FT contest that develops as the Cougars are the 4th worst team in the nation from the charity stripe. We just need to shoot above 60%.

Bottom line...For the Bills...Don't screw up and we win...and if we play a decent game we can blow them out.  A win today ...especially by more than 11 and we move out of the F category.  

Coach needs to get these guys fired up before the tip off.  Same thing has been said the past three games, and it hasn't happened.  How about an entirely NEW starting lineup.  Would that do the trick?  Hines and Moore in the back, Johnson and Gillmann plus Neufeld.  It can't be worse than what we saw at Wichita State?

Shoot it down, but then come up with an alternative that Coach hasn't thought of to light a fire under this team.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach needs to get these guys fired up before the tip off.  Same thing has been said the past three games, and it hasn't happened.  How about an entirely NEW starting lineup.  Would that do the trick?  Hines and Moore in the back, Johnson and Gillmann plus Neufeld.  It can't be worse than what we saw at Wichita State?

Shoot it down, but then come up with an alternative that Coach hasn't thought of to light a fire under this team.

I don't think it will matter who we start today. We just need to play an average Billiken game to win.

This should be a 30 point win. They got done with their game at 930 or so last night. They drove to St Louis after the game. Then they have a game today at 2. Add on top of that Chicago State is probably the worst team in the nation. No excuse to not make this a blowout. I'd be disappointed with any sort of struggle. 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

No...it is not a typo...we are projected to win ...by double digits. 

Chi St ( F- ) played a weak  Bradley team ( D+ ) last night and got blown out by more than 30 pts.  Now a fatigued Cougar team comes limping into the Fetz to play the rested Bills.( F+ )

This game shall be known as the Battle for the Bottom...2 F teams battle to see who is the least horrible (don't forget the plus and minus after the F)  More specifically , one of the worst defenses in the country ( them)  vs one of the worst offenses in the country ( us ).

What do we need to do to win?....Play D...The Cougars have some offense  and if we play bad offensively (hmm...a pun and an oxymoron) Chi St has just enough offense to beat us. There can be no sub 20% 3pt shooting game for the Bills.  In addition we should win any FT contest that develops as the Cougars are the 4th worst team in the nation from the charity stripe. We just need to shoot above 60%.

Bottom line...For the Bills...Don't screw up and we win...and if we play a decent game we can blow them out.  A win today ...especially by more than 11 and we move out of the F category.  

"Bad offensively" is less of an oxymoron than a redundancy.  ("Good offensively" would be an oxymoron.)

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

"Bad offensively" is less of an oxymoron than a redundancy.  ("Good offensively" would be an oxymoron.)

You are correct ...It is redundancy....the lack of offense.....one we need to break today by exceeding 39/31/64...We need to exceed  (another redundancy)

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I don't think it will matter who we start today. We just need to play an average Billiken game to win.

Then maybe it is a perfect time to send a message.  Hand the PA announcer an alternate lineup, when the starters are announced, BOOM, sorry Reg - E - Litigator - MC - Bishop, you ain't starting.  Give the alternate starters 5 minutes and see what happens.

The good news was we won.... That is pretty much it. This game lived up to its billing... Battle  for the Bottom. that I had mentioned in the original post...they have no defense and we have no offense. Some have wondered what an F- team looks like...you got to see 2 today....Chicago St and the Bills playing down to that level ( from F+)  What happens when 2 bottom feeders like that collide?...Exactly what you saw. The highlight for me was catching the basketball from the cheerleader toss and giving it to the 4 yr old girl behind me.  She was very excited....that was also the most positive excitement I saw today.

So let's play a trivia game...guess which column is the Bills slash line...column 1 . 2 or 3?

Answer ...column 2....column 1 is the Bills season average....column 3 is the Chi St slash line.

The glaring stat above is the 3 pt shooting again,  I mentioned in the original post we win this game easy as long as don't shoot sub 20% from the arc...oops. ..If we make our weak 31% average...we win the game by 14 pts....Remember the Cougars are one of the worst defensive teams in the country...D- on FG% and 3pt %...yet we still turn in a dismal performance.

The final good news is we have 2 more wins coming up.....the bad news is there are 22 games left

Bottom line....I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...it is 10 1/2 months away.

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Anybody who thinks Gilman should start dreaming.  Hines is over matched against any guard that is quick.  Maybe against Chi State he may be OK but he is not the answer.  I do agree that Moore and Johnson need to play more and at today's game he seemed to have heard you but of course foul trouble may have caused that also.  Neufeld - not sure where he fits in.

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Anybody who thinks Gilman should start dreaming.  Hines is over matched against any guard that is quick.  Maybe against Chi State he may be OK but he is not the answer.  I do agree that Moore and Johnson need to play more and at today's game he seemed to have heard you but of course foul trouble may have caused that also.  Neufeld - not sure where he fits in.

Gillman and Neufeld need to GO!

I've got 26 years, worst team i've ever seen. If Chicago State had actual rest for this game, they probably win it. Two road games in 17 hours.

47 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am only asking but I think Grawer's first year was not anything to remember other than just bad.  He was in the same boat as Ford is now - the cupboard is just bare.

Grawer had more talent in his first season.

Noone in D1 history has been left with a mess like Ford has now. People have been decrying Rickma's first year at 13-16, 7-9 in conference.

There is nothing to compare what Crews has done to. This is THE worst.

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am only asking but I think Grawer's first year was not anything to remember other than just bad.  He was in the same boat as Ford is now - the cupboard is just bare.

That is the only year I can recall that compares to this year. We have had many bad years but usually there was someone on the team that was fun to watch and gave us a shot to win if they got hot. I don't recall there being anyone like that on that team and there isn't anyone like that on this team. There just isn't much hope for a victory. 

10 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

That is the only year I can recall that compares to this year. We have had many bad years but usually there was someone on the team that was fun to watch and gave us a shot to win if they got hot. I don't recall there being anyone like that on that team and there isn't anyone like that on this team. There just isn't much hope for a victory. 

At least with Grawer's last season you could see the hope for the future on the floor.  This season you have to look for it at the end of the bench in sweatsuits, catch an Althoff game or watch video highlights of French.

Grawer's career was bookend 5 and 23 seasons in 1982-83 and 1991-92.  That would be where the comparison stops.  His last year he left us with Claggett and Highmark with Winfield transferring out with his dad. Yes, that would be enough reason for hope.  His inherited roster included Darryl "Sky" Anderson, Andre Craig, LaTodd Johnson, Isiah Singletary, and Kevin Strozier.  First year players were Luther Burden, Kevin Williams and Jamie Thomas.  Singletary actually got drafted --- in the tenth round by Boston --- when the NBA drafts went that deep.  Never played a minute.  But maybe a guy you came to see.  Luther Burden ended his three-year career as our 5th all-time scorer .... but has since been passed by 10 others who came after him since then.  He might fit the bill as someone you came to see play. 

It took Grawer four years to recover from what he was left with, and his recruiting wasn't all that great until he hit on Gray and Douglas.  Grawer did not even his coaching ledger until the 88-89 season.  and while widely considered the savior of SLU basketball only went 159 and 149 over his ten years. 

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

At least with Grawer's last season you could see the hope for the future on the floor.  This season you have to look for it at the end of the bench in sweatsuits, catch an Althoff game or watch video highlights of French.

Except Cheeseman was talking about Grawer's first year — same record as his last year, I think? — which was before my time as a college hoops fan.

I don't agree with those who say no player currently playing for the Bills has any hope of being a contributor to a winner.

But this is the worst team I've ever invested emotion in following.  It's to the point where we must celebrate how awful it is.