Stu Finally asked "The Question" re Crews

TheBand

How does this rule out that a decision has already been made? They just haven't told Crews officially yet that is all. May is not going to say anything differently other than we will evaluate after the season - that tells me that they have already set the course to get rid of him. As far as Crews being a good little soldier - who knows what goes on in that empty mind of his.

It doesn't. And I did not mean to say that a decision has not been made. Hopefully, it has already been made. Honestly, I believe Dr. Fred and AD May have already made their decision but are not announcing it. Also, it is possible that Crews does, in fact, announce his "retirement" after the season.

Instead, my hope, and the theory I was referring to, was that Crews would publicly announce his retirement NOW or SOON to be effective after the season. This would give life to the players, take the uncertainty away, take alot of the anger/resentment/bitterness off Crews and allow him to exit more gracefully. I see this as a "higher road" to be taken rather than a "retirement" after we lose in the A10 Conference Tourney which I see as a higher road than a firing after the season. No matter which way is done, Crews will be gone and the buyout paid but less devastation could take place, fences could be mended sooner, the public aspect of the new coaching search could start sooner and SLU would sure look better in the eyes of public opinion.

-Clock, the article is coach or AD speak

-May could have made up his mind, either way, why does anyone think he would spill the beans at this point?

-for the huge majority, college basketball coaches are fired after the season and if that is what is going to happen, that will be when

Agreed. See my post above in response to Cheese.

It doesn't. And I did not mean to say that a decision has not been made. Hopefully, it has already been made. Honestly, I believe Dr. Fred and AD May have already made their decision but are not announcing it. Also, it is possible that Crews does, in fact, announce his "retirement" after the season.

Instead, my hope, and the theory I was referring to, was that Crews would publicly announce his retirement NOW or SOON to be effective after the season. This would give life to the players, take the uncertainty away, take alot of the anger/resentment/bitterness off Crews and allow him to exit more gracefully. I see this as a "higher road" to be taken rather than a "retirement" after we lose in the A10 Conference Tourney which I see as a higher road than a firing after the season. No matter which way is done, Crews will be gone and the buyout paid but less devastation could take place, fences could be mended sooner, the public aspect of the new coaching search could start sooner and SLU would sure look better in the eyes of public opinion.

-Crews saying now that he will not be back adds incredible uncertainty in that there will be a new coach and who is that?

-it does take away uncertainty as to if there will be a new coach

Barring an absolute miracle in Brooklyn, he can't be back next year. It's a totally obvious decision. The fan base agrees basically unanimously. I don't think Chaifetz, Pestello, and May are complete morons. I like that SLU can consistently pay 800k+ for a basketball coach. Some good young coaches will come here for that salary, hopefully King Rice or Russell Turner. But they can't do what they did with the Soderberg firing, waiting until after the spring recruiting period to make the change. They threw away an entire year of building in that situation. Depending on what happens in Brooklyn, the decision needs to be announced by Monday the 14th at the latest.

Barring an absolute miracle in Brooklyn, he can't be back next year. It's a totally obvious decision. The fan base agrees basically unanimously. I don't think Chaifetz, Pestello, and May are complete morons. I like that SLU can consistently pay 800k+ for a basketball coach. Some good young coaches will come here for that salary, hopefully King Rice or Russell Turner. But they can't do what they did with the Soderberg firing, waiting until after the spring recruiting period to make the change. They threw away an entire year of building in that situation. Depending on what happens in Brooklyn, the decision needs to be announced by Monday the 14th at the latest.

i'll take king rice. cool looking young black guy, has winning record. done. cool name, too. can probably dunk.

-Crews saying now that he will not be back adds incredible uncertainty in that there will be a new coach and who is that?

-it does take away uncertainty as to if there will be a new coach

Yes and no. Yes uncertainty is always present with a new coach but don't we want a new coach? Also would it not be good for someone at SLU (May ?) To call and write to every uncommitted recruit that SLU is still a great school and program, that scholarship openings are likely, that SLU is going thru a national coaching search and to not commit elsewhere until after being contacted by our new coach. I am not sure I want anyone who is still committed to Crews at this point.

Yes and no. Yes uncertainty is always present with a new coach but don't we want a new coach? Also would it not be good for someone at SLU (May ?) To call and write to every uncommitted recruit that SLU is still a great school and program, that scholarship openings are likely, that SLU is going thru a national coaching search and to not commit elsewhere until after being contacted by our new coach. I am not sure I want anyone who is still committed to Crews at this point.

-darn right we want a new coach, or at least i do

-the new coach will have to hit the trail hard from day 1 to improve the roster and get their kids

-we have one letter of intent that has been signed, Zeke Moore, not sure how you get rid of him since he has signed

Where did PD get the stat "Crews' squad has won 19 of the last 37;"?

I see a stat in the 4th paragraph for the last two years of 19-37, meaning 19 AND 37, not 19 out of 37. I don't see it referenced anywhere else in the article.

Ah okay. I only get the weekend paper. I read the article online. The picture there doesn't have that stat. Probably the editor messed up then, Durando had it right.

Yeah, I wanted to bring that sub-headline up. Whoever wrote the headline must have had a brain fart after reading Durando's copy of a 19-37 record. That should have been rendered as 19 of 56. Those not following closely and not reading the text would think, "19 and 18? That's not horrible; why are they talking of canning him?"

Yeah, I wanted to bring that sub-headline up. Whoever wrote the headline must have had a brain fart after reading Durando's copy of a 19-37 record. That should have been rendered as 19 of 56. Those not following closely and not reading the text would think, "19 and 18? That's not horrible; why are they talking of canning him?"

Today all they do at papers and magazines -blogs also - is type away and spell check. If the spell check is done they go with it. I am not sure there are even proof readers anymore or whoever did that before.

Today all they do at papers and magazines -blogs also - is type away and spell check. If the spell check is done they go with it. I am not sure there are even proof readers anymore or whoever did that before.

They're called copy editors, and no, they don't exist at the P-D anymore.

Is there a Shaka assistant that makes sense for SLU? Dude killed in the A10 and is doing well year 1 in the B12. His former assistant is doing well back at VCU. You guys claim to hate the style (some of you) but it's effective.

This is if Diener stays put of course.

Is there a Shaka assistant that makes sense for SLU? Dude killed in the A10 and is doing well year 1 in the B12. His former assistant is doing well back at VCU. You guys claim to hate the style (some of you) but it's effective.

I brought up David Cason in another thread. He spent last season on Shaka's staff at VCU and went with Shaka to Texas. Before that he was on Stalling's staff at VCU for 3 seasons. He has had stops at Tulsa, TCU and UNC.

Shaka is doing a nice job with a mediocre Texas squad and he has shown he is willing to adopt his style when needed. Never quite understood why he was so hated by some on the board. He was always gracious when we beat them. VCU's current coach is a lot less likable - big whiner with the refs.

I have advocated Shaka's predecessor at VCU - Anthony Grant as a possibility. Won the conference title all three years he was at VCU. A Billy Donovan disciple.

Shaka is doing a nice job with a mediocre Texas squad and he has shown he is willing to adopt his style when needed. Never quite understood why he was so hated by some on the board. He was always gracious when we beat them. VCU's current coach is a lot less likable - big whiner with the refs.

I have advocated Shaka's predecessor at VCU - Anthony Grant as a possibility. Won the conference title all three years he was at VCU. A Billy Donovan disciple.

And a former Dayton Flyer... do you think he'd bolt back for his alma mater once Archie sets out for greener pastures?

Never quite understood why he was so hated by some on the board. He was always gracious when we beat them. VCU's current coach is a lot less likable - big whiner with the refs.

Shaka was a whiner too. Havoc was built on fouling on every possession and riding the refs the whole game, throwing a fit every time one was actually called. That's why he was annoying to opposing fans, or at least to me. Seems like a standup guy otherwise, and yeah, the system worked.

Rumors in and around Dayton are that Archie is set especially for next year. Next year will supposedly be his best Dayton team ever.

He loses Pierre, who he lost for the first half of this season anyway. But the charges/suspension leveled against him were somewhat suspect. So the question is does he have an extra semester? I doubt it. But legal is legal.

But in losing Pierre, that is it. Schoochie Smith, Kendall Pollard, Kyle Davis and Charles Cooke all return as seniors. Darrell Davis is a junior. McElvene, Crosby, Mikesell, Miller and WIlliams all are sophomores. He has a 3-star shooting guard in 6'5" Trey Landers in as a verbal commit. Plus the real jewel is supposedly sitting out an injury redshirt year in 6'7" small forward Josh Cunningham, a 3.7 star recruit and a transher from Bradley whoaveraged 7.9 ppg in 33 games his freshman year in Peoria.

The SVU hate will likely continue.