Open Practices Thread

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Haenchen tweeted a picture of them Hughes with the recruit. Can't tell who it is either and not sure how to post the entire tweet on here or I would.

Somebody has to know who that is. It kind of looks like Javon Pickett, but I think he has more hair than the kid in the photo.

The whole new offense/defense scheme Crews is working to implement scare anybody? Makes me think that he pretty much said screw whatever the players were working to get comfortable with last year and throw a whole new philosophy at them. I understand that last year's scheme was a mess, but I would think that to make any sort of progress you'd have to have a uniform and undeniable way of doing things so that the players can run the plays in the their sleep. Seems to me it could be a lot more learning right now than it is actually improving.

OK, I think I misinterpreted the question, my fault. I was NOT predicting MN to be our best big in 20 years, just to clarify. I also do not think that's what the other guy was suggesting, though I am no mind reader. I thought the question was something like this:

Which "true freshman" big, on day one, appeared to be the best prior to any games being played??

That's how I'm interpreting the "best recruit big" idea. I forgot about Willie, you are correct to say he is the best since I got here, athletically. Willie passed the eye candy test for recruits, no doubt. But as it turned out, Willie's issues were pretty significant as well so as a "recruit," meaning a 4-year type of program builder, I think we could haggle over that prediction. (Of course there would be no way to observe that in a scrimmage from day one!!) But yes, athletically, he was a wow, with off the charts upside (athletically) but significant issues personally and so forth (just telling you the way it is). Kenny Brown is an unfair comparison, being older and more built up. Ohannon is an interesting name, forgot about him, he was an impressive all around player when he got here, kind of able to do a little bit of everything. Wasn't he a bit older? But he might be an interesting comparison with MN, physically and in terms of his game; also I think he was in military or something and was also on a national team if I am recalling correctly.

As for best recruit (during my time since 98), right off the high school team and just from watching in pickups or practice prior to the season: Kevin was terrific and so was Kwamain. DE also seemed special (and he was). and Tommy of course... Kevin had the intangibles, the guts competitiveness, will to win, and leadership that seem pretty rare nowadays--from day one. Hard to teach, we could use a dose of that for a few of our present guys...

So true. He was a flat out winner. You always knew you were never going down without a fight if Kevin Lisch was on your team.

The whole new offense/defense scheme Crews is working to implement scare anybody? Makes me think that he pretty much said screw whatever the players were working to get comfortable with last year and throw a whole new philosophy at them. I understand that last year's scheme was a mess, but I would think that to make any sort of progress you'd have to have a uniform and undeniable way of doing things so that the players can run the plays in the their sleep. Seems to me it could be a lot more learning right now than it is actually improving.

-yes, a lot, but hopefully there is progress from now until Nov 1, from Nov 1 to Dec 1, and so on.....but I hoped for that last season too

-not sure it will make you feel any better, it doesn't help me, but I remind myself every so often there was only one Rick Majerus and few know the game and can coach it in his class and for him to have been at SLU was an all too infrequent alignment of the sun, moon and many, many stars

-whoever, whenever they follow JCrews won't be in Rick's direct shadow

I think at least part of the reason for the change are the rule changes. The shot clock goes to 30 seconds and the arc is bigger. To me that makes attacking the basket, and quickly moving into the offense very important.

Not sure how comfortable they really were getting last year, though, any new offense has its problem.....see SLU v. GW....

a few observations from last night:

--this practice was much more exciting and competitive, it seemed to me, and there was more energy and intensity on display. It may sound glib but I think progress is being made, even in a week since I last saw them... That practice was much more encouraging than last week. These guys are all competing for minutes and it is showing.

--as for changes in the offense, I like what I see and the shooting was better, but still, we are not going to average 80 points a game or anything...

--MN sort of disappeared for me yesterday; he seems like he did not get many offensive opportunities in this practice. One thing I did notice about MN: he is a pretty good passer. He also isn't afraid to mix it up on defense and really slams the board for rebounds.

--EW, on the other hand, was probably the star of the practice. I'm pretty sure he led all scorers, on both teams, in the lengthy, timed, and refereed scrimmage at the end. Besides burying several threes, Elliot is a slasher with a quick first step for a guy his size, and the perimeter guys hit him on several of these moves to the rack. And he finished the feeds. He dunks very easily on these kind of plays. He runs the floor better than any of the bigs and even better than most of the smalls. Overall this kid really impressed me, much more than last week; and a lot of guys around me in the stands felt the same way. He'll get minutes and he will shoot the ball if open. We will need points, and maybe he can contribute.

--Bishop is going to be good: he's good with the ball in his hands and he can penetrate. He is small, however, so I hope he develops his shot more. He mostly guarded Hines and vice versa; work in progress but I saw a little more yesterday in terms of handle and court awareness. does not get ruffled.

--MY looks a lot sleeker physically; he is such a match-up problem. He is smooooooth with the ball in his hands. Very soft hands around the rim, very quick off the floor, such a gifted rebounder. I think if he can just clean up the turnovers/ bonehead plays/ lack of focus, he can really be a great A10 player. Often the other players were even yelling at him; let alone the coaches.

--MR was way better last night than last week. Much improved, taking charge, diving on the floor, dishing it out and playing pretty good defense. But his shots hardly ever seem to fall. RA was back in the DRILLS. BJ was getting a LOT of attention from the coaches, especially from Calbert. Another recruit was standing on the sidelines. DR, MC, and AY are just terrific athletes and they are the foundation for this team this year, win or lose they will have to carry us and they are clearly the leaders; MR is trying to emerge as a leader; MY is the darkhorse mystery manchild--he really has the most upside of anyone, but he is still learning how to be a great all-around player in D1 and he still does little attitude things that anyone watching can pick up on. Boy does he have the attributes, though.

that is all, ......

a few observations from last night:

--this practice was much more exciting and competitive, it seemed to me, and there was more energy and intensity on display. It may sound glib but I think progress is being made, even in a week since I last saw them... That practice was much more encouraging than last week. These guys are all competing for minutes and it is showing.

--as for changes in the offense, I like what I see and the shooting was better, but still, we are not going to average 80 points a game or anything...

--MN sort of disappeared for me yesterday; he seems like he did not get many offensive opportunities in this practice. One thing I did notice about MN: he is a pretty good passer. He also isn't afraid to mix it up on defense and really slams the board for rebounds.

--EW, on the other hand, was probably the star of the practice. I'm pretty sure he led all scorers, on both teams, in the lengthy, timed, and refereed scrimmage at the end. Besides burying several threes, Elliot is a slasher with a quick first step for a guy his size, and the perimeter guys hit him on several of these moves to the rack. And he finished the feeds. He dunks very easily on these kind of plays. He runs the floor better than any of the bigs and even better than most of the smalls. Overall this kid really impressed me, much more than last week; and a lot of guys around me in the stands felt the same way. He'll get minutes and he will shoot the ball if open. We will need points, and maybe he can contribute.

--Bishop is going to be good: he's good with the ball in his hands and he can penetrate. He is small, however, so I hope he develops his shot more. He mostly guarded Hines and vice versa; work in progress but I saw a little more yesterday in terms of handle and court awareness. does not get ruffled.

--MY looks a lot sleeker physically; he is such a match-up problem. He is smooooooth with the ball in his hands. Very soft hands around the rim, very quick off the floor, such a gifted rebounder. I think if he can just clean up the turnovers/ bonehead plays/ lack of focus, he can really be a great A10 player. Often the other players were even yelling at him; let alone the coaches.

--MR was way better last night than last week. Much improved, taking charge, diving on the floor, dishing it out and playing pretty good defense. But his shots hardly ever seem to fall. RA was back in the scrimmage. BJ was getting a LOT of attention from the coaches, especially from Calbert. Another recruit was standing on the sidelines. DR, MC, and AY are just terrific athletes and they are the foundation for this team this year, win or lose they will have to carry us and they are clearly the leaders; MR is trying to emerge as a leader; MY is the darkhorse mystery manchild--he really has the most upside of anyone, but he is still learning how to be a great all-around player in D1 and he still does little attitude things that anyone watching can pick up on. Boy does he have the attributes, though.

that is all, ......

I like your assessment except for the fact that Reggie did not play at all in the controlled scrimmage. He did take part in all of the drills and even take contact, but he's still favoring the foot, and they held him out when they started keeping score. I suspect he'll get very little time against the Bahamas teams, as a precaution.

I think Doc's comments are spot on.

Regarding Neufeld, I don't think the pace of yesterday's scrimmage really did him any favors. They were working with a 24-second shot clock.

Great practice for Reynolds. Even though his shot didn't fall, his mechanics looked better, IMO. And Davola will be excited to hear that he was not wearing a T-shirt!

Welmer was clearly the standout yesterday. Let's hope he can do it in actual games. Yarbrough and Crawford looked good as well.

Hines is intriguing. He was a pretty vocal leader on the court at times, which has got to be somewhat rare for a walk-on, right?

-DocB or others, who can EW guard? was he getting rebounds?

-MY's defense look acceptable?

-if we have more players that can dunk that would be great as we have missed so many shots around the basket the last few years if some of those shots turn into made dunks that will help the offense

-if we have more players that can dunk that would be great as we have missed so many shots around the basket the last few years if some of those shots turn into made dunks that will help the offense

Not to mention, dunks get my dick hard.

So true. He was a flat out winner. You always knew you were never going down without a fight if Kevin Lisch was on your team.

SLU's record during Kevin's career was 70 - 55. His teams never won anything of significance nor participated in a post-season tournament. His teams suffered several embarrassing losses such as Texas A&M 33-69 in 2006 and the dreaded GW game. Very hard to argue SLU put up much of a "fight" in those games. His 2006-07 team was (rightly or wrongly) expected to make a postseason tournament and didn't largely because of crippling losses to terrible St. Bonaventure & Duquense teams to open the conference season.

For comparisons sake, SLU's record during Loe, Evans, McCall, & Jett's careers was 93 - 41.

Kevin was a very good player for SLU perhaps great by SLU standards. Reportedly, he is a great person as well. Though largely not his fault, his teams were pretty mediocre. There are a number of superlatives you could use to describe Kevin & his SLU career (tough, competitive(?), lights out shooter, gutty). However, "winner" is not one of them.