Grandy Glazed off into the sunset

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu still retweets things involving Illinois basketball/football from time to time. That's his old assignment. If he can do that, there's absolutely no reason why he can't retweet a few things about the Billikens.

+1 Exactly. I noticed that too.

The daily edition of the PD is so thin it is ridiculous. The nice pieces I used to see in it are gone, replaced by ... what? Only the Sunday edition still has some degree of interesting stuff left as far as I am concerned, so that is all I am currently receiving.

If Durando is not currently on the SLU beat and does not have the desire to tweet about them, I'd suggest he take "Covers St. Louis University basketball and college sports for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch." out of his twitter bio so that no one follows him hoping for news on something he doesn't even cover.

+1 Exactly. I noticed that too.

Like what? I noticed a post about them still being in the tournament according to bracktology a couple months backs. Don't see any of the in depth recruiting coverage people are looking for.

We got a bunch of people complaining about people not getting enough information for free. It is pretty sad that people don't understand the economics of the news business today. If it made economic sense for the Post to pay Stu or someone else to cover the Billikens full time in the off season they would. It doesn't. Hell, the Post didn't think it made economic sense to send Stu on the road for some games during the season.

If you aren't a daily suscriber to the Post, they are not going to care what youi have to say about it and their aren't enough suscribers complaining about Billiken coverage.

While we are ripping Stu for his coverage on the Billikens, why do people who are actually paid by the university get a free pass for not supplying any or not a more robust SLU presence on Social Media? When was Rammers last tweet about anything Billiken related?

I would suggest the school is going to have to look at adjusting how they do business in the future if they want to have better coverage. The might need to hire their own beat writer and produce robust coverage in house.

Mr. Bonwich, here's some econ 101 that I learned at SLU. Once you go into a death spiral it's takes something more than cutting to get you out. If you continue to hack off readers/subscribers by putting out an inferior product, you will continue your downward path. As the PD sucks more and more every month then you give subscribers more of a reason to become former subscribers.

Here's a thought. Try improving the product. It might not even cost you any more if PD leadership uses just a small amount of creativity. How about spending some time on local sports stories, especially those with possible national implications, instead of the continuing beatification of Michael Brown and the "protesters" who the PD doesn't have enough courage to label correctly as felons.

Here is my "you just took another step downward in the death spiral" fact. I recently received my annual bill for the PD delivery 7 days a week. After reflecting on the "PD narrative" as it was described by another poster in this thread, and lack of the sports coverage that I used to look forward to, I cancelled my subscription. That was about 2 weeks ago. The rep I talked to made no effort to retain me even though I have subscribed for over 30 years! Since then I have received one call from a very nervous sounding sales rep who asked if I would be interested in receiving the Sunday PD for $8 and some change. As the call was progressing, a lady cut in and told me the price quoted was a mistake and that it would really be a few $$$ more. That's it, that's the total retention effort of what used to be a quality newspaper.

If they don't give a $h!^, why should I?

However, I will make one suggestion to those on this Board- go to the SLU location everyday and give it a click-you better believe that will add up and maybe we will get at least 1/2 inch of ink when FBJT says he is staying home!

You made some good points but you degrade your post by bringing in irrelevant issues. You come of as probably canceling due to your disagreement with the Post's editorials on the Ferguson matter. You may not wanted to make come off that way but to some that is how it really read.

Did he get paid for the McBroom tweet, but the budget for the Bishop tweet was cut or something? I get that retweeting stuff that's already been officially reported by SLU isn't a big deal for people who care enough to post on here. But I don't get this idea that it's unreasonable to hope for a few more Billiken-related tweets tossed in with other random stuff he's throwing out there.

I'm mostly disappointed the Tatum recruitment hasn't gotten more play in the PD. That got a four page article article in SI, for chrissake. At least Cusamano has been beating that drum locally.

Like what? I noticed a post about them still being in the tournament according to bracktology a couple months backs. Don't see any of the in depth recruiting coverage people are looking for.

We got a bunch of people complaining about people not getting enough information for free. It is pretty sad that people don't understand the economics of the news business today. If it made economic sense for the Post to pay Stu or someone else to cover the Billikens full time in the off season they would. It doesn't. Hell, the Post didn't think it made economic sense to send Stu on the road for some games during the season.

If you aren't a daily suscriber to the Post, they are not going to care what youi have to say about it and their aren't enough suscribers complaining about Billiken coverage.

While we are ripping Stu for his coverage on the Billikens, why do people who are actually paid by the university get a free pass for not supplying any or not a more robust SLU presence on Social Media? When was Rammers last tweet about anything Billiken related?

I would suggest the school is going to have to look at adjusting how they do business in the future if they want to have better coverage. The might need to hire their own beat writer and produce robust coverage in house.

I guess my question would be do they know it doesn't make economic sense not to have better SLU coverage? Even with TT the coverage when it came to recruiting and off season was not great.

I can only speak for myself but I started following Ben on twitter, saw him link to several insider articles I wanted to read so I signed up and paid for it. I am not going to pay for the post when the coverage is poor right now. I don't think it would make any sense for me to sign up and start complaining about poor coverage as I would know that going in. I am not in paper industry so could be wrong but just my opinion.

Also, I agree with you on the school could do more but I do like having somebody covering the teams I watch that is not being paid by the team.

No one is arguing that Durando isn't under certain restrictions in his position as SLU beat writer...it comes with the territory. However, it is NOT too much to ask our beat writer to at least marginally keep track of the team in the offseason and tweet out news. For $hit's sake, everyone on this board follows the Billikens for FREE, and most of us have jobs.

Some people do the bare minimum required for their job(s). Others try to do more than required. It's that simple.

After a year on the job, I think we know what kind of work Stu does.

But my bet is the Billikens are not his job right now.

But my bet is the Billikens are not his job right now.

If you are right then it sounds like the bare minimum SLU coverage for him is zero then. Good to know he is delivering on that!

Fact is, he likely expects to be doing SLU coverage full time starting this fall so if he was so inclined to do more than the bare minimum he could find the time to retweet a few things, call up Bishop for a few quotes and most importantly call Justin Tatum to do the same kind of interview that Matter did. It really isn't that difficult as evidenced by the amount of information Dwayne's World was able to get from Justin simply by calling him.

lol I love how brianstl acts like being asked to take the 30 seconds to retweet a tweet while you are on the shitter is a equivalent to some sort of worker rights struggle.

I don't think it is a worker rights struggle. I just don't expect him to do it. Covering the Bills during the season is/was the job he was assigned. It isn't his passion like it is for us on here. I expect him to perform his job well, but I can't expect him to share the same passion I have for the team in late April.

If you are right then it sounds like the bare minimum SLU coverage for him is zero then. Good to know he is delivering on that!

Fact is, he likely expects to be doing SLU coverage full time starting this fall so if he was so inclined to do more than the bare minimum he could find the time to retweet a few things, call up Bishop for a few quotes and most importantly call Justin Tatum to do the same kind of interview that Matter did. It really isn't that difficult as evidenced by the amount of information Dwayne's World was able to get from Justin simply by calling him.

I doubt that. I think he probably expects nothing after the Post dropped assigning anyone to cover the Illini. He probably is like a lot of other people at the Post and hoping he still has any job as Lee looks for more ways to cut cost.

I doubt that. I think he probably expects nothing after the Post dropped assigning anyone to cover the Illini. He probably is like a lot of other people at the Post and hoping he still has any job as Lee looks for more ways to cut cost.

Dropping the Illini is one thing given that they had already slowed down their coverage quite a bit and newspapers from Decatur, Champagne and Chicago still provide a lot of content (i.e. its redundant coverage). Dropping coverage from SLU, knowing that SLU is the hometown school and there is nobody else to cover the team is likely not on the table. They may make more selective use of him travelling to away games but I don't think we are at the point where we won't have a beat writer.

Dropping the Illini is one thing given that they had already slowed down their coverage quite a bit and newspapers from Decatur, Champagne and Chicago still provide a lot of content (i.e. its redundant coverage). Dropping coverage from SLU, knowing that SLU is the hometown school and there is nobody else to cover the team is likely not on the table. They may make more selective use of him travelling to away games but I don't think we are at the point where we won't have a beat writer.

Maybe doing an exceptional job will differentiate him from others.

-I'm not sure SLU being the hometown school and nobody else is around to cover the team matters to the Post

-if the numbers said cover SLU or give SLU more coverage I think they would, but I am afraid the numbers paint a different picture

-I hope the NFL remains in town and I don't see more than a couple printed sports sections a week, but I guess the section would shrink even more without football and I don't think those resources are coming the way of SLU coverage if the NFL is gone, the total section just gets smaller and I think the SLU part is the same or more likely reduced, but I hope we don't have to find out

Kshoe and hsmith are spot on.

There should be huge coverage of JaysonTatum in general, but the fact he is considering SLU should double it. When was the last time the best high school player in the country was born and bred in St Louis? And when was he considering his hometown team? Hughes is the closest - and that was 20 years ago at this point.