Richmond from da' MD couch ....

Taj79

.... kind of sort of glad on one hand that Davidson took the regular season title over Dayton. Just cannot bring myself to root for the Flyers at all. On the other hand, these upstart refugees from the SoCon should not be able to "upgrade" and waltz all over the rest of us in their first year. Of course, VCU did that too. You think maybe, just maybe, there is a rash of bad teams in this A10 monster that might need some shifts to a lower level? Just maybe.

I am glad VCU dropped out of the double bye and Richmond snuck in. That ought to really piss RamNation off because if there are two teams in one city that really do not like each other, it is these two. And Richmond beat them twice this year. I'll bet the house on VCU if there is a third match up in the four/five game in Brooklyn.

The box score and game showed RA with his first double-double and gives MC eight total rebounds. Those are the positives. That and there is only one more game left in this plane crash of a season to endure. Reggie still missed a few bunnies but there is no need to use those to detract from his overall game. The problem I see is hopefully he can do that early in the games next year so he is available option and we don't have to wait another two years banking on his "potential." MC had an okay game and even with the double-double so did RA but they are still contributing pieces and have no star power associated with them. It tells you a lot about this season when the biggest compliments we can hand out are to role players and no stars. RA is however, extremely limited. He operates in the paint and the paint only. So there is our four guy moving forward. He has no mid-range game. He can play Dwayne Evans to Austin Gillmann's Rob Loe. Providing AG is even on the court because he does need work. Sadly, none of the others, other than Crawford as a first or second guy off the bench type, developed much this year. If RA is the only thing we found this year, we are hurting.

I watched last night's game as if watching a documentary on the National Geographic channel. No oomph. No pizzazz. No nothing. Either for them or for me. Passion has died. And in that regard, I have nothing new to address here. I expected this season to be an odyssey, one fraught with more missteps than anything else. I think what bothers me most is that right now, we should be looking forward to next year and continued development. But the sorry state of affairs has led to a whole lot of negative speculation and we cannot begin on that journey until we close the books on this one and determine who is in and who is out (both players and coaches).

I agree with jbizzle in that anyone thinking Crews is gone is an idiot. Just ain't gonna happen. And if a few coaches move on from under him, I'd say so what. No, the real key is the roster and the expected turnover. I believe it is going to happen but until we know who is involved, we don't know where to start from. The most unsettling part of all that to me is the fact that our current staff (and let me limited that strictly to Jim Crews for now) is going to be the ones deciding who the new pieces are going to be, if any. I don't know if the guy can really identify talent and even if he does, can he actually develop it. Prior to his "inheritance" the last few years, ol' Jimmy peaked with his last NCAA appearance with Evansville in 1998-99. Almost two decades ago! Adding that fact to the colossal fiasco that 2015 has been, count me in the crowd that isn't going to raise expectations much for next year. Yes ---- next year right now appears to be this year all over again with a few changed parts.

So as this season fades into the sunset, my look forward is spying something that is none too bright. Even if I believe as some on here say ---- that players get incrementally better just with age ---- I respond "show me." That can't be done until the court is taken in November later this calendar year.

Staring down the double barrels of another "Can't Wait" season.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with jbizzle in that anyone thinking Crews is gone is an idiot. Just ain't gonna happen.

I dont think anyone really thinks SLU will fire Crews after this disaster of a season but it doesnt change the fact that he should be fired.

The only thing I'll add is that I expected 2 things for this season. Inconsistency and development.

Honestly we might have been consistent this year. I'll leave it at that for the sake of not bringing down the guys anymore.

Development. Hard to say. Certainly no team development. That's on everyone. Crews. The staff. The players. Agbeko got better. Crawford probably too. Roby definitely but where's he been the last 3 games? Hard to say other than those 3.

I hope we win in Brooklyn. Maybe I'm just holding out on this idea that you have to finish strong to stay motivated in the off-season.

It'll be interesting from the day the season ends to the day it starts. We'll see some changes. I hope we hear positive things out of the offseason. I'll take it with a grain of salt but it's better than nothing I guess.

For those of us on this board that have some access I will state that RA has a very potent midrange and longrange game but was told from day one when this season started to play on the inside in order for SLU to have a real inside presence. He is the only player we have that could do it successfully. Unlike some of the players on here he has always done what was asked of him without questioning the sense in it on the floor. Granted to me that is some old school bull but the team has needed that and he has certainly arrived in that department as long as the there is a willingness on our perimeter guys to get the ball in the post to him. Moving without the ball is an area he needs to work on in the off season to improve on his scoring as well solidifying his ball handling to connect the dots to become a more versatile scorer.

If I am JC and Crew starting this tournament and going forward I would remove the clamps and let the kid just play basketball and we will see his shooting touch come to life. For right now he serves as a limited big on purpose thanks to this staff.

Since we are on this subject I will also state that the Strength and Conditioning Coach for SLU has done a phenomenal job of developing strong players but he is certainly dropping the ball on developing our players to have speed and explosiveness. We are sorely lacking in that dept and it shows as I watch guys like MY, AY, MC, RA, DR and others. I will hold my tongue for now. Carry on.

.... kind of sort of glad on one hand that Davidson took the regular season title over Dayton. Just cannot bring myself to root for the Flyers at all. On the other hand, these upstart refugees from the SoCon should not be able to "upgrade" and waltz all over the rest of us in their first year. Of course, VCU did that too. You think maybe, just maybe, there is a rash of bad teams in this A10 monster that might need some shifts to a lower level? Just maybe.

I am glad VCU dropped out of the double bye and Richmond snuck in. That ought to really piss RamNation off because if there are two teams in one city that really do not like each other, it is these two. And Richmond beat them twice this year. I'll bet the house on VCU if there is a third match up in the four/five game in Brooklyn.

The box score and game showed RA with his first double-double and gives MC eight total rebounds. Those are the positives. That and there is only one more game left in this plane crash of a season to endure. Reggie still missed a few bunnies but there is no need to use those to detract from his overall game. The problem I see is hopefully he can do that early in the games next year so he is available option and we don't have to wait another two years banking on his "potential." MC had an okay game and even with the double-double so did RA but they are still contributing pieces and have no star power associated with them. It tells you a lot about this season when the biggest compliments we can hand out are to role players and no stars. RA is however, extremely limited. He operates in the paint and the paint only. So there is our four guy moving forward. He has no mid-range game. He can play Dwayne Evans to Austin Gillmann's Rob Loe. Providing AG is even on the court because he does need work. Sadly, none of the others, other than Crawford as a first or second guy off the bench type, developed much this year. If RA is the only thing we found this year, we are hurting.

I watched last night's game as if watching a documentary on the National Geographic channel. No oomph. No pizzazz. No nothing. Either for them or for me. Passion has died. And in that regard, I have nothing new to address here. I expected this season to be an odyssey, one fraught with more missteps than anything else. I think what bothers me most is that right now, we should be looking forward to next year and continued development. But the sorry state of affairs has led to a whole lot of negative speculation and we cannot begin on that journey until we close the books on this one and determine who is in and who is out (both players and coaches).

I agree with jbizzle in that anyone thinking Crews is gone is an idiot. Just ain't gonna happen. And if a few coaches move on from under him, I'd say so what. No, the real key is the roster and the expected turnover. I believe it is going to happen but until we know who is involved, we don't know where to start from. The most unsettling part of all that to me is the fact that our current staff (and let me limited that strictly to Jim Crews for now) is going to be the ones deciding who the new pieces are going to be, if any. I don't know if the guy can really identify talent and even if he does, can he actually develop it. Prior to his "inheritance" the last few years, ol' Jimmy peaked with his last NCAA appearance with Evansville in 1998-99. Almost two decades ago! Adding that fact to the colossal fiasco that 2015 has been, count me in the crowd that isn't going to raise expectations much for next year. Yes ---- next year right now appears to be this year all over again with a few changed parts.

So as this season fades into the sunset, my look forward is spying something that is none too bright. Even if I believe as some on here say ---- that players get incrementally better just with age ---- I respond "show me." That can't be done until the court is taken in November later this calendar year.

Staring down the double barrels of another "Can't Wait" season.

I like Coach Crews as a person. Funny and overall good guy, and am genuinely at a crossroads on what to do at the state of the program.

Having spoken to friends on the staff; I would have to say majority of this nightmare of a Billiken season rests squarely on the staff. Big key being that coaches not all being on the same page with playing philosophy and how players are used.

Probably the biggest problem I have seen is the limited amount of emphasis placed on overall skill set development. Emphasis should be on players learning to shoot, handle, etc irrespective of position. But from early on in the staff pushed for players to play a specific role within the offense. This is then compounded by running a motion offense which requires versatility to be truly effective.

Another huge disappointment is the stunting the growth of individual players by restricting them from doing certain things that are obvious strengths of their's. I will touch on 79s assessment earlier on about Agbeko; He is on point that his game is restricted to the paint and therefore we will have to wait and see what kind of consistency and growth will come from that. Agbeko has started to show because he is finally understanding how to work within the restrictive confines the staff setup for him from day 1 of practice. As I stated before I recently saw this young man shoot the ball very very well from midrange to 3 in a recent practice. Upon inquiring on why we have never seen a shot outside of 4 to 6 feet from the rim. I was told by some very I trust on the staff that Agbeko was not allowed to shoot outside of that area (Was even told he had run quite a bit to get this point across to not shoot unless a shot clock situation) so as create more of a post presence for the team. Same thing was expressed about his ballhandling which I was told is a strength of his.

These types of restrictions on a player with those strengths will first and foremost kill the players confidence and decision making;

One can only wonder how this affected Agbeko's early season play. One can only wonder how many of Agbeko's own teammates started to doubt his play and would go away from him and other teammates in other restrictive situations. Players have to trust each other; Interestingly it doesn't require a lot of watching to see these players don't truly trust each other. Food for thought going into next season.

I like Coach Crews as a person. Funny and overall good guy, and am genuinely at a crossroads on what to do at the state of the program.

Having spoken to friends on the staff; I would have to say majority of this nightmare of a Billiken season rests squarely on the staff. Big key being that coaches not all being on the same page with playing philosophy and how players are used.

Probably the biggest problem I have seen is the limited amount of emphasis placed on overall skill set development. Emphasis should be on players learning to shoot, handle, etc irrespective of position. But from early on in the staff pushed for players to play a specific role within the offense. This is then compounded by running a motion offense which requires versatility to be truly effective.

Another huge disappointment is the stunting the growth of individual players by restricting them from doing certain things that are obvious strengths of their's. I will touch on 79s assessment earlier on about Agbeko; He is on point that his game is restricted to the paint and therefore we will have to wait and see what kind of consistency and growth will come from that. Agbeko has started to show because he is finally understanding how to work within the restrictive confines the staff setup for him from day 1 of practice. As I stated before I recently saw this young man shoot the ball very very well from midrange to 3 in a recent practice. Upon inquiring on why we have never seen a shot outside of 4 to 6 feet from the rim. I was told by some very I trust on the staff that Agbeko was not allowed to shoot outside of that area (Was even told he had run quite a bit to get this point across to not shoot unless a shot clock situation) so as create more of a post presence for the team. Same thing was expressed about his ballhandling which I was told is a strength of his.

These types of restrictions on a player with those strengths will first and foremost kill the players confidence and decision making;

One can only wonder how this affected Agbeko's early season play. One can only wonder how many of Agbeko's own teammates started to doubt his play and would go away from him and other teammates in other restrictive situations. Players have to trust each other; Interestingly it doesn't require a lot of watching to see these players don't truly trust each other. Food for thought going into next season.

Wow.

Sometimes during pauses in games, Crews looks on while an assistant coach talks with the players....remember when Sodie would always hold a conference with his assistants (wasting precious clock) to figure out what to do before he would then address the players?

With Majerus, all players pulled up a chair and listened to The Man.

Yikes

The ONE thing we should be able to control in EVERY single game is our effort. And it certainly seems like we've given up. Either Crews isn't motivating this team or he is doing a very poor job of doing so. Crews lucked out the past 2 years with players who were, for the most part, self-motivating. Usually 18-19 year old underclassmen need some help in that department. Now, not ALL of this is Crews's fault; the players need to take some responsibility and grow up.

And to echo the sentiments above: I like Crews as a person, and think he's a really nice guy. I also hope he turns it around. But that doesn't place him above critique for this season.

A couple players developed (MC/RA), and Davell Roby showed he can be a key player going forward.

That's more or less it on the positives.

I think MB shows a lot of promise too. AG will take time, but I think he could still be very good.

I think MB shows a lot of promise too. AG will take time, but I think he could still be very good.

I'm not sure what to make of MB. Kid shot it pretty well in the league.

Can he cut down on the fouls and get strong enough to play a 2 guard role?

The coaches know more than I do obviously, but considering the amount of experience we brought into this season, I have no idea how they could restrict a player into a certain role. What have they seen to make them be so confident about that.

Also if that's the mentality then I have to question why we brought in a bunch of freshmen who don't have a clear speciality

I could not have said it any better. Thank you Sir. If I am a player at SLU I would not depend on this staff to develop me. They get a low grade for this season for obvious reasons. I see why the ACC coaches in their interview earlier this year stated that the era of player development has changed to the point that players are individualistic (headphones and all). Players come in with their own trainers for basketball skills and strength development. It is up to the coaches now to take those collective talents and make a team out of it while those players are being trained by those they are confortable with. We are doing everything in house at SLU which means our kids are behind because the staff is not able to provide that growth. Maybe it is time to use some of that budget to actually bring in trainers that develop each player in conjunction with what SLU needs. The kids would be confident and their talents would show on the court. Crawford has a high vertical leap but you would never know it watching him. Love to see that kid with explosion to bring his game to head. Time has come for this staff to check themselvs. In house is killing every last one of them! Here is a clue get the best trainers St Louis and surrounding areas have to offer and employ their services to do what you are not able to do. Everyone of these kids needs one. Going to your practice is not enough. These boys need to enter next season hungry and ready to take the A10 by storm. It will not happen if things continue business as usual. I wonder what kind of player JM could have become if he was not solely dependent on this staff to make him the best player he could possibly be. Nuff said!

Not sure what you're asking for here. We have a strength coach. Are you saying each or some players should have their own personal bb coach? What do you think our big coaching staff's for? Plus I rather doubt coach K has a bunch of individual player coaches attending DU practices and being second guessed by some player's personal hoops guru.

Not sure what you're asking for here. We have a strength coach. Are you saying each or some players should have their own personal bb coach? What do you think our big coaching staff's for? Plus I rather doubt coach K has a bunch of individual player coaches attending DU practices and being second guessed by some player's personal hoops guru.

I suspect what Bboy is speaking of is that during offseason nowadays, most players with pro aspirations have their own skills development coaches that have nothing to do with the coaching staff at the schools they are at. For example quite a few players from Duke, UNC, and other d1s in that vicinity work with college and pro skills trainer Marcus Hodges. SLU does have a strength coach that does a very good job building the strength of the players. But players at many d1s are working with trainers that are trained and versed on building strength, lateral quickness, explosiveness and overall core strength needed to overachieve in today's game. Look at Harrell from Louisville, whose body, overall athleticism and explosiveness has increased exponentially since arriving at Louisville 3 years ago. I don't see much explosiveness from kids on our roster, even though I see the kids increasing their strength. Need work on fast twitch, not just slow twich muscles.

I suspect what Bboy is speaking of is that during offseason nowadays, most players with pro aspirations have their own skills development coaches that have nothing to do with the coaching staff at the schools they are at. For example quite a few players from Duke, UNC, and other d1s in that vicinity work with college and pro skills trainer Marcus Hodges. SLU does have a strength coach that does a very good job building the strength of the players. But players at many d1s are working with trainers that are trained and versed on building strength, lateral quickness, explosiveness and overall core strength needed to overachieve in today's game. Look at Harrell from Louisville, whose body, overall athleticism and explosiveness has increased exponentially since arriving at Louisville 3 years ago. I don't see much explosiveness from kids on our roster, even though I see the kids increasing their strength. Need work on fast twitch, not just slow twich muscles.

Seems we need to recruit some fast twitch, particularly at the point.

If this is true, I have no hope for this staff. This is Crews' ship and he has to demand all assistants be on his page. Listen to their advice, but make them all pull in the same direction.

I can see limiting a player by telling him not to do things he is bad at, such as telling Reynolds not to shoot 3s. Basketball is such a fluid game you shouldn't limit a player's strengths. If Agbeko has as good a shot as claimed he should be a double digit scorer. We sure could use one of those.

It doesn't seem like they are restricting anyone else.

Some of this seems like bull****. Yeah, this is all on the coaches and the coaches refuse to let kids succeed. Give me a break. Did somebody describe Mike Crawford as explosive and being a good leaper? He is probably the least athletic 3 in the league. And Reggie has had some nice games of late, but to say he has some underutilized perimeter skill seems like a stretch.