Davell Roby

JettFlight5

Roby is becoming the best all-around player we have right now.

His defense has been solid to good all year, and he's showing some nice promise at the offensive end at times.

Anybody think he can play the point going forward? I like him defending wings, but not sure where he fits on offense.

Yes, but if he has a couple of poor games in a row there will be a thread wondering why we recruited him. Read the game thread and the comments on RA and then go read comments from the large majority of the board just a couple of weeks ago.

And now you have posters questioning if Yarbrough is going to be a good player or if we just got fooled by a few decent games earlier in the season.

Does anyone think this kid needs to pass more? He certainly can pass when he wants to. He has proven to be a good defender but I see him miss the easy play one after another trying to get to that basket. Goes to establishing post presence! He is one of the few guards that does not utilize the post.

Looks like going forward guards have to actively work to get MY and RA the ball in those deep post positions when they have it instead of waiting for the screen to come so they can get to the basket. There is too much of that being done. Another thing being done is waiting till post position is established by the big and then coming in for the layup using the post screen assist instead of simply making the entry pass to the big. Watch closely you will see a 1 on 3 by DR, AY, and sometime MC using that setup. Teams know we are coming and have figured out how to defend it. Just because one can get to the rim does not make it an effective play.

I see this as one of the major reasons our scoring is suspect, MY continues to struggle, and we are not playing as a team on offense. We have always played well when the team played an efficient defense and offense not this Borg-like offense. Coaches need to have the guards run all plays through the bigs before the guards attack but as you watch the offense they are simply moving the ball on the perimeter then driving into the lane when a post player clears a side. There is no intention to pass either as they draw defenders, just get to the cup. It is time to get away from that. Maybe u use it when you have used up the clock and cannot generate a open shot or post shot at basket. Should not be the majority of the O. Just a thought...

Does anyone think this kid needs to pass more? He certainly can pass when he wants to. He has proven to be a good defender but I see him miss the easy play one after another trying to get to that basket. Goes to establishing post presence! He is one of the few guards that does not utilize the post.

Looks like going forward guards have to actively work to get MY and RA the ball in those deep post positions when they have it instead of waiting for the screen to come so they can get to the basket. There is too much of that being done. Another thing being done is waiting till post position is established by the big and then coming in for the layup using the post screen assist instead of simply making the entry pass to the big. Watch closely you will see a 1 on 3 by DR, AY, and sometime MC using that setup. Teams know we are coming and have figured out how to defend it. Just because one can get to the rim does not make it an effective play.

I see this as one of the major reasons our scoring is suspect, MY continues to struggle, and we are not playing as a team on offense. We have always played well when the team played an efficient defense and offense not this Borg-like offense. Coaches need to have the guards run all plays through the bigs before the guards attack but as you watch the offense they are simply moving the ball on the perimeter then driving into the lane when a post player clears a side. There is no intention to pass either as they draw defenders, just get to the cup. It is time to get away from that. Maybe u use it when you have used up the clock and cannot generate a open shot or post shot at basket. Should not be the majority of the O. Just a thought...

-not sure how to get the bigs involved as that would violate our practice of running our version of the weave out top

-passing to the post is yet another weakness of the offense this year, but I have not seen a lot of times where the big had position, which is also a weakness

I know it was just 3-4 possessions when we were down a lot late in a game, but each of the entry passes to RA were very well done. I believe it was AG that threaded a perfect bounce pass to RA through traffic from the top of the key (i believe this is on the bucket that rimmed in and out for RA). I was impressed with each of the entry passes to RA during that sequence.

I know it was just 3-4 possessions when we were down a lot late in a game, but each of the entry passes to RA were very well done. I believe it was AG that threaded a perfect bounce pass to RA through traffic from the top of the key (i believe this is on the bucket that rimmed in and out for RA). I was impressed with each of the entry passes to RA during that sequence.

Moytoy12 you are correct. We did this very effective in that second half stretch but just imagine if we did this throughout the game. What I am saying is that up to late we have not utilized bigs like RA and MY correctly and that blame falls on Crews and Co. We can start doing it now because it is effective. Pay attention....RA and MY are one on one guys so in the post they require double teams at all times or your one on one defender gets abused or gets into foul trouble. Both of these kids are willing passers (more so RA) so it opens up easy shots for the likes of MC, AG, etc and the lane for driving.

If you look at RA's production he played good D, rebounded well, but until the ball got delivered to the post (he was probably 17 to 18 minutes into his 24 mins played) that is when the passes started to come. Even DR looked for him. I say use that energy earlier and he could have delivered double the pts. He cannot be guarded one on one and with those shot fakes defenders have to foul him or get help. It is up to Crews on what he does going forward but if I am him, I unleash him early and see what he does. Can't hurt the team to do it. As for MY he just needs to become more selective about shot selection and cut down on that dribbling. RA has done the same not that he does not want to drible the ball but he is selective about when he dribbles which has cut his TO substantially. Of course that does not mean that if you are a defender and he has you on top of the key with an open driving lane behind you that he will not try to catch a body! Someone is due to get it soon.

-not sure how to get the bigs involved as that would violate our practice of running our version of the weave out top

-passing to the post is yet another weakness of the offense this year, but I have not seen a lot of times where the big had position, which is also a weakness

To your 2nd point. It has been there all year but guards/small forwards have overlooked it in their private competition to see who scores the most points. MY set it off but AY and DR continue to make it grow. One reason for your sputtering offense.

Moytoy12 you are correct. We did this very effective in that second half stretch but just imagine if we did this throughout the game. What I am saying is that up to late we have not utilized bigs like RA and MY correctly and that blame falls on Crews and Co. We can start doing it now because it is effective. Pay attention....RA and MY are one on one guys so in the post they require double teams at all times or your one on one defender gets abused or gets into foul trouble. Both of these kids are willing passers (more so RA) so it opens up easy shots for the likes of MC, AG, etc and the lane for driving.

If you look at RA's production he played good D, rebounded well, but until the ball got delivered to the post (he was probably 17 to 18 minutes into his 24 mins played) that is when the passes started to come. Even DR looked for him. I say use that energy earlier and he could have delivered double the pts. He cannot be guarded one on one and with those shot fakes defenders have to foul him or get help. It is up to Crews on what he does going forward but if I am him, I unleash him early and see what he does. Can't hurt the team to do it. As for MY he just needs to become more selective about shot selection and cut down on that dribbling. RA has done the same not that he does not want to drible the ball but he is selective about when he dribbles which has cut his TO substantially. Of course that does not mean that if you are a defender and he has you on top of the key with an open driving lane behind you that he will not try to catch a body! Someone is due to get it soon.

-so VCU and others have seen RA in the post and teams with effective coaches will be ready to defend that, the key for me is how do RA and Crews anticipate this to keep him involved on the block?

Yes, but if he has a couple of poor games in a row there will be a thread wondering why we recruited him. Read the game thread and the comments on RA and then go read comments from the large majority of the board just a couple of weeks ago.

This Board has always been this way. It's absolutely hilarious. You can see emotional similarities between a number of posters and teenage girls.

Roby is becoming the best all-around player we have right now.

His defense has been solid to good all year, and he's showing some nice promise at the offensive end at times.

Anybody think he can play the point going forward? I like him defending wings, but not sure where he fits on offense.

I'm still high on MB, but I would also like to see DR play the point for a while. I'd love to see us go big with either BJ or AG plus RA, MY, AY, and DR.

-so VCU and others have seen RA in the post and teams with effective coaches will be ready to defend that, the key for me is how do RA and Crews anticipate this to keep him involved on the block?

Go for it. Why not? They over play him it just opens it up for others but if you do not try it how do you know the outcome. Everyone makes adjustments but isn't JC a in-game coach. He will find a way to make it work or get outcoached.

Each player has to play to his strengths. When adjustments are made the player must also adjust to learn and still be effective. Case in point MY. He is still finding his way but at least we know the kind of player he is. If we are not doing things because we are afraid teams will make adjustments then we need new coaches who can do it. Game set,..lets play already.

Go for it. Why not? They over play him it just opens it up for others but if you do not try it how do you know the outcome. Everyone makes adjustments but isn't JC a in-game coach. He will find a way to make it work or get outcoached.

Each player has to play to his strengths. When adjustments are made the player must also adjust to learn and still be effective. Case in point MY. He is still finding his way but at least we know the kind of player he is. If we are not doing things because we are afraid teams will make adjustments then we need new coaches who can do it. Game set,..lets play already.

-I'm not saying throwing it to RA in the post because of what other teams are doing is out of the question, rather the question is are RA and Crews ready for it to be defended so RA has been drilled on what to do in reaction to defense

-we'll see

-I'm not saying throwing it to RA in the post because of what other teams are doing is out of the question, rather the question is are RA and Crews ready for it to be defended so RA has been drilled on what to do in reaction to defense

-we'll see

Certainly so and we will see. I see it as a viable option going forward. Worth a shot every time.