The Dukes from a Couch in Ames, Iowa

Taj79

Taking baby gurl to ISU for grad school and we get Fox Midwest. Atta-baybee!

First of all, great game. Duquesne however is not a fair bellwether. That 2-3 zone is pitiful and it was comical to watch someone else be bad at free throws.

Nice balance with 5 guys scoring in double figures. Where did Bartley go in the second half? We had 22 assists on 25 baskets. The three ball was huge with 9 in the first half. And we were never seriously challenged even with them cutting it to 8. Another character-building go around.

Trending up: Bartley, Yarbrough, Yacoubou, Robey and Crawford.

Trending down: McBroom big time. Lancona, who can't shoot to save his life. Gillmann did little. Jolly still looks lost despite the basket. And we have a Miles Reynolds sighting. And it wasn"t anything to write home about.

That's life in the big city and D-1 basketball. The next two might be quite bloody however. At one point, the lineup was Reynolds, Agbeko, Lancona, Roby and Bartley. Who scores there? Oh well ----- it's gonna be a great year of tremendous learning.

I had that one as a win.

I think Crews benched Bartley in the second half because he show boated after making that three near the end of the first.

And I disagree about Gillman, he set up some nice screens for Crawford and the offense just flows better when he's in the game.

I hope that isn't true. I don't want knuckleheads, but I do want kids with passion. I guess that can be fine line to a coach.

I think Crews benched Bartley in the second half because he show boated after making that three near the end of the first.

And I disagree about Gillman, he set up some nice screens for Crawford and the offense just flows better when he's in the game.

I thought he was just celebrating, not showboating. I hope he wasn't benched for that minor show of emotions.

Bartley had to have been benched for celebrating. Putting up the 1 finger will not go over well with a Bobby Knight disciple.

Yarbrough is so good. He should have had double digit assists.

I didn't think Reynolds was awful. Not fantastic, but he plays better defense than Bartley.

We played much better offensively without McBroom. Hopefully this lineup continues. McBroom has to find his role and it is not as the lead guard.

Also I thought Jolly gave some decent minutes. An improvement.

Bartley had to have been benched for celebrating. Putting up the 1 finger will not go over well with a Bobby Knight disciple.

Yarbrough is so good. He should have had double digit assists.

I didn't think Reynolds was awful. Not fantastic, but he plays better defense than Bartley.

We played much better offensively without McBroom. Hopefully this lineup continues. McBroom has to find his role and it is not as the lead guard.

Also I thought Jolly gave some decent minutes. An improvement.

I liked that Jolly came in and immediately looked for the soft spots in the zone.

Jolly did a lot of things that didnt show in the box score. I thought he was pretty decent on defense and looked good setting some screens. Lancona looked decent for his first few minutes...then started shooting that aweful 3. No idea what happened to this kid's jumper. DR keeps looking better and better.

I was happy to watch this game and experiencing a win by the Bills. I realize my high level of technical ignorance about the playing, but Holy Lord I LIKED to see us win. Now my uninformed impressions:

Despite all the comments to the contrary, I was happy to see Reynolds playing and I thought he did well. Reggie managed to play for some time without turnovers and few fouls. I see him as a good muscular presence and a good rebounder. Bartley was just fine and had a tremendous 3 point shooting night. Yacoubou and Yaborough were good. Crawford did very well and, to my eyes, added energy to the team when he was playing.

MY continues to impress w/ his all around game. He had two very pretty assists last night that were difficult. MC played well. AM is running into the A10 brick wall. They know him and his limitations. Overall thought the team played well. They did what you have to do beat a zone. Shoot well from the outside, get the ball to the middle, and pass it when you're swarmed. All that said, if DU could shoot FTs the game could easily have gone southbound and down. But a W's a W. Hoping we're competitive in these next two games. But at least they'll get an idea of what the top tier looks like ala Davidson. Can anyone recall the last time we shot the 3 as well as we did in that first half?

Duquesne was horrible from the line. If they even have a bad game from the line, it would have been close. But they didn't. A win is a win. Especially for this team.

Offense was better. Duquesne's zone was horrible, but I've seen us struggle mightily against far worse zones over the last 5 years.

Yarbrough - didn't rack up the points but he had another good game. 5 assists and a couple of them were great passes with great vision.

Yacoubou - wish we could see that more. Shot selection still isn't great but that was a good game. Love his rebounding. Times his jumps well and actually meets the ball at the rim when going for a rebound.

Roby - continues to be overshadowed but another solid game from him. He picks up some dumb fouls but he's buying into the defensive side better than any of the frosh and his offensive game is coming around.

Bartley - mystery to why he didn't play much in the 2nd half. when he misses from 3, he misses badly, but he was impressive last night. he adds more length to the team and the offense runs better with him. if he is hitting 3's like that, it makes McBroom a valuable asset off the bench. despite all this, I'm still terrified to see what happens against VCU.

Manning - settled into a role of blocking/altering shots and being a body to clog up the paint on defense. much better than when he was counted on to do way more early in the season. according to the espn box score, he had no rebounds. that's just amazing.

Crawford - one of our most key guys against a zone. not only is he a decent shooter, but he gets to the middle and collapses the zone and also has been impressive all season driving the baseline against the zone. gets some shots blocked but goes up strong and isn't afraid in the paint. offense has been better all season when he gets more than 15 mins in a game. still the only soph that has shown anything.

Lancona - still don't love his defense but he moved the ball pretty well last night on offense. I keep believing he can knock down shots but it just won't happen. maybe if he hits a couple in a row, it'll turn the tide?

Agbeko - well he didn't screw up. probably got a rebound or 2. wouldn't mind seeing him in a Grandy sophomore year role - 6 mins/game. rebounding and energy. never puts the ball on the floor. gets putbacks.

Gillmann - the bigger and stronger post players in the a10 have bothered him. still he has good vision and is a good passer. love his pass-fakes against the zone. needs to put on weight but he's a keeper IMO

Reynolds - not as bad as some people made him out to be but nothing special either. his endless energy was entertaining. he didn't even look at the basket early in the shot clock which was a good thing. immediately looked to pass and move the ball which helps a lot against a zone.

Jolly - finally played a little stronger although i still can't stand the constantly flopping to draw charges. like him more now that he's playing more within his ability and not trying to do too much. filled the spots against the zone and was quick to move the ball.

McBroom - outside of those that think he's good at basketball because he might be funny or a good person, most of us realized that we're a better team when he doesn't run the point. he's too short (although i remember one famous poster telling me that he can run the point because he's 5'9) and not quick enough and is bothered by any length on defense. still think he needs a bit more time than last night. valuable asset off the bench if he can play a bit more off the ball and get some open looks from 3.

We always seem to play well at Dayton so maybe we'll give them a run again.

I really don't understand the substitution patterns. I thought we had pretty much settled into a rotation, but I guess not. I know it can be a relatively fluid situation that can potentially fluctuate from game to game, but we weren't up by THAT much.

For the most part we played really well on the offensive end and, in my opinion, really poorly on the defensive one.

Agreed bizziken..I was surprised to hear Coach with Earl after the game say that he thought we played great both offense and defense,,,this is the worst defensive Billiken team I can remember and if the coaches do not see it there will be little progress...they missed 20 free throws which very easily could have made it a loss or a nail- biter at the end and we hit 3's at a rate that usually will not happen. The constant substitutions create some of the defensive issues ..at times jolly etc did not know who they were even guarding.

Agreed bizziken..I was surprised to hear Coach with Earl after the game say that he thought we played great both offense and defense,,,this is the worst defensive Billiken team I can remember and if the coaches do not see it there will be little progress...they missed 20 free throws which very easily could have made it a loss or a nail- biter at the end and we hit 3's at a rate that usually will not happen. The constant substitutions create some of the defensive issues ..at times jolly etc did not know who they were even guarding.

I did notice that with Jolly. One possession he was looking at the bench with his arms spread, palms up appearing to be asking which one am I supposed to be guarding.

Guess I watched different game-Jolly was lost out there and botched up the offense-got more minutes than he should have

Totally agree. More of the same pattern where he draws a couple charges, then falls in love with jumping in front of his man and picks up a bunch of fouls in a hurry.

Ditto with Reynolds. He looked good on defense, then totally tried to force things once he had the ball in his hands.

McBroom - outside of those that think he's good at basketball because he might be funny or a good person, most of us realized that we're a better team when he doesn't run the point. he's too short (although i remember one famous poster telling me that he can run the point because he's 5'9) and not quick enough and is bothered by any length on defense. still think he needs a bit more time than last night. valuable asset off the bench if he can play a bit more off the ball and get some open looks from 3.

You think people on here treat McBroom's personality as a positive? Really?? He gets even more crap on here because of his Twitter and YouTube habits than he does for not being a true point guard. I don't think too many people have tried to say he is a pure PG, but he is still good at basketball. I agree he should usually see more minutes than he did last night, but the truth is that his role becomes a lot less necessary when we're playing with a sizable lead and when the other guys are knocking down three pointers, as was the case on both counts for most of last night.

You think people on here treat McBroom's personality as a positive? Really?? He gets even more crap on here because of his Twitter and YouTube habits than he does for not being a true point guard. I don't think too many people have tried to say he is a pure PG, but he is still good at basketball. I agree he should usually see more minutes than he did last night, but the truth is that his role becomes a lot less necessary when we're playing with a sizable lead and when the other guys are knocking down three pointers, as was the case on both counts for most of last night.

Not necessarily saying on here. But I know a lot of fans who think McBroom is the best player on the team and it's simply because they like him and his social media stuff. And one poster told me that he is the most true PG on the team because of his height.

Going forward I'd expect Bartley to not disappear in the 2nd half and for McrBoom to get Reynolds' minutes.

The other fans in my section got the idea McBroom was the best player early on because he was our leading scorer, and the only player other than Manning they recognized from last year. A lot of the female fans I know like him because they think he's hot. Probably going to be a while before either camp disabuses themselves of those notions.

The other fans in my section got the idea McBroom was the best player early on because he was our leading scorer, and the only player other than Manning they recognized from last year. A lot of the female fans I know like him because they think he's hot. Probably going to be a while before either camp disabuses themselves of those notions.

Wait, are saying that he is NOT hot? Are you qualified to judge that? :P

The guy behind me was wondering (about halfway thru the second half) "what did Mcbroom do to get into the doghouse?" I said yeah I noticed he hasn't played much, wonder if he's injured. But obviously at the end when we needed ball handling and possible free throw shooting, he was in there. On a night when we suddenly got 3 point shooting from several taller sources, he just wasn't needed.