Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Crew's resume at SLU:

63 wins - 20 losses

Back to back COY in the A-10.

NABC Division I Coach of the Year

Two trips to the NCAA in his two years.

8-6 this year.

Yeah, let's get rid of him. He has no idea of what he is doing.

Good point. Let's keep him forever.

We have a saying at our company, "Hire slowly, fire quickly", so I get your point about patience, but we* have to guard against emotional imprudence.

(*Like "we" have any say in the matter! HA!)

That phrase works great and fine with the rank and file which would be the players in this situation.

At higher levels hiring and firing leads to a lot of people with different philosophies, people are there for different reasons and came to work with previous leaders. Getting those people and goals aligned is crazy difficult and can lead to more and different problems.

Some posters do appear to be suggesting Crews is not up to the task. Others may be willing to give any coach too long. Regardless, he has a class that quite a few were raving about after the first few games. Would it not be prudent to see what happens through the season and see how this team develops?

That phrase works great and fine with the rank and file which would be the players in this situation.

At higher levels hiring and firing leads to a lot of people with different philosophies, people are there for different reasons and came to work with previous leaders. Getting those people and goals aligned is crazy difficult and can lead to more and different problems.

Actually, from my experience, I think that phrase is most critical at the executive level. The rank and file rarely can bring a company down; an executive on the other hand...

Some posters do appear to be suggesting Crews is not up to the task. Others may be willing to give any coach too long. Regardless, he has a class that quite a few were raving about after the first few games. Would it not be prudent to see what happens through the season and see how this team develops?

I was not a fan of the Crews hiring, but even I am a little surprised how quickly the tone has appeared to change regarding JC. Perhaps there were a lot of Anti-Crews people who kept more quiet because it is quite hard to argue against multiple NCAA tournament wins. I did this to an extent. However, even I am willing to give him through this season and next.

The kids he recruited are quite talented. I am excited to see where MY, AG, and MB are in a couple years. The Crews regime has exceeded my expectations in every aspect except on-floor coaching so far. But developing these talented players will take time. So I will sit, generally expect to lose, and wait. This, however, cannot go on for too long because if it does, recruiting will get tougher fast, and we will be back to where we were pre-Majerus.

I was not a fan of the Crews hiring, but even I am a little surprised how quickly the tone has appeared to change regarding JC. Perhaps there were a lot of Anti-Crews people who kept more quiet because it is quite hard to argue against multiple NCAA tournament wins. I did this to an extent. However, even I am willing to give him through this season and next.

The kids he recruited are quite talented. I am excited to see where MY, AG, and MB are in a couple years. The Crews regime has exceeded my expectations in every aspect except on-floor coaching so far. But developing these talented players will take time. So I will sit, generally expect to lose, and wait. This, however, cannot go on for too long because if it does, recruiting will get tougher fast, and we will be back to where we were pre-Majerus.

Pretty much summed up how I feel about crews and the future

Steve Alford might be available soon. We can probably get him for $2 million a year. So what if he has taken UCLA into the dumpster. I'm sure his resume will have recruits flocking to SLU.

So if a change has to be made at some point the only option would be Alford?

Yes, I think the 2011 team would win easily against this team....but we also got to see how good the 2011 squad could be.

Can't say that yet about the 2014 freshmen.

What I thought about that team's freshmen at this time was JJ was a turnover machine, Mc Call was good, Evans was e rebounder with a nose for the ball showing overall potential, Loe had an outside shot and ball skills for a big guy but the rest of his game was weak.

They all developed into good players, but what really made them standout was their commitment to defense.

With this group Yarborough is a better player than anyone in that freshman group. Roby is better than Jett at this stage because he isn't a turnover machine and can defend as well as freshman Jett could. Loe and Gillmann have similar skill sets but Loe was far more ready as a freshman because he had better size, strength and better outside shot. Haven't figured out Bartley, Reynolds and Jolly yet but each has flashed some potential and none appear to be out of their league athletically. Overall, this class has the potential to be better than that class because of the numbers, but the only way they do it is if they buy in and develop defensively like the 2010 class. That is how this program equalizes the talent gap, defense.

I think people are getting confused over Crews 'being on the hot seat' vs calling for him to be fired. I equate being on the hot seat as a warning that your current production is unacceptable. If Crews fails to win 15 games (including Rockhurst) with the 15TH WORST NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE IN THE COUNTRY, then he deserves to be on the hot seat going into next season. In addition to our crappy non-con schedule, the A-10 is really down this year. I don't care how young the team is, going 4-14 isn't acceptable.

I like Crews. A lot actually. I think he's a good man and a solid coach. That aside, the job is about results. If people are willing to give new coaches a pass until they get 'their own players', then this is Year 1 for evaluating Crews. And this season isn't over yet, either. It would not surprise me in the least if we ended up with 7 or 8 wins in conference.

I would also love to see the 2010-11 team against this year's squad. I think it'd be a good, albeit sloppy, game.

I'm always intrigued by the guys who haven't been playing basketball for a very long time, but I'm just not sure SLU is the type of team that can afford to bring in those players and let them develop. Maybe 2 years ago and give Reggie 2 years to study behind Evans, Loe, Ellis, etc. But we just don't have the depth in the frontcourt to bring in guys like that and risk them never panning out or taking a long time to contribute.

He has the physical tools. Can't give up on him. Injuries have slowed down his progression. We need it to click for him and if it does, he could be really good. But right now, it's hard to justify him getting playing time except when we desperately need rebounds.

This is my favorite post of the thread. Except when we desperately need rebounds? In other words, every single game this year so far except maybe the last one?

Frank Haith was a National COY, too. Both Crews and Haith took over very talented teams, but both teams had rosters that weren't built for the long term. They both had seasons that should have made it easier to fix their roster problems. Both didn't fix their roster problems. One of those coaches is looked at as a joke on this board and that coach has never had a season as bad as the one we are having.

Oh please. Haith is a joke here for a few reasons, none of which has anything remotely to do with fixing roster problems, with posting a losing season with a bunch of freshmen, or with any of the other reasons people are giving Crews a hard time here. Haith is a joke because:

1) He coached Mizzou.

2) He was suspended for recruiting violations.

3) He had not one but two top 10-ranked teams upset in the first round of the tournament.

4) He had yet another nationally ranked team fail to even make the tournament.

5) He left Mizzou in the dark of night for frigging Tulsa.

Not only has Crews not committed any of these sins, but he took two teams that were not ranked at all pre-season to peaks that the program had never seen in any of our lifetimes. The only remote similarity is that they took over teams that were recruited by other coaches. The difference is Crews exceeded expectations while Haith choked on them. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Crews, but posts like this are impossible to take seriously.

Oh please. Haith is a joke here for a few reasons, none of which has anything remotely to do with fixing roster problems, with posting a losing season with a bunch of freshmen, or with any of the other reasons people are giving Crews a hard time here. Haith is a joke because:

1) He coached Mizzou.

2) He was suspended for recruiting violations.

3) He had not one but two top 10-ranked teams upset in the first round of the tournament.

4) He had yet another nationally ranked team fail to even make the tournament.

5) He left Mizzou in the dark of night for frigging Tulsa.

Not only has Crews not committed any of these sins, but he took two teams that were not ranked at all pre-season to peaks that the program had never seen in any of our lifetimes. The only remote similarity is that they took over teams that were recruited by other coaches. The difference is Crews exceeded expectations while Haith choked on them. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Crews, but posts like this are impossible to take seriously.

Crews exceeded expectations? Advancing one round in the tournament was exceeding expectations?

Frank Haith won 53 games his first two years at Mizzou. Jim Crews won 55 his first two years at SLU. Haith took over a team coming off 23 wins, a middle of the road Big 12 finish, and who lost their first game in the NCAA. Crews took over a team coming off 26 wins, a second place A10 finish, and one win in the NCAA. Both were national coaches of the year their first season at their respective programs.

Yes, Crews exceeded expectations by taking an unranked team that no one picked to win the A-10 to two regular season conference championships, a conference tournament championship, two top 15 rankings, one top 10 ranking, and two NCAA tournament victories.

Haith had the #2 team in the country lose in the first round of the tournament, then followed that up with another top 10 team dropping the first round. Even after all that, his last Mizzou team was STILL nationally ranked, and they didn't even make the tournament.

There is no comparison. Unlike Haith's Tigers, neither of Crews' teams were ever close to being ranked #2 in any national poll, let alone the final one. Unlike Haith's teams, both of Crews' made it to the tournament. Unlike Haith, Crews actually won a tournament game in not just one but both of his seasons. Compare the talent level and recruiting stars Crews inherited with what Haith did. Then compare the results, in terms of both regular season championships and tournament performance. Again, there is no comparison, and I suspect you know just how silly a post this really is.

There are actually two flavors of questions that have been tossed around about Crews since day 1. One is that he's a lousy recruiter. Two is that he's a lousy in-game strategist. Both are related to whether he can be successful now that the players Majerus recruited and developed are gone, but it strikes me as way too early to form conclusions about either. I am more inclined to share the concerns with the in-game coaching side, but the won-lost record over the past two years (and even the results so far this year) suggest he deserves more of a benefit of a doubt. As for his recruiting, I really don't see how this year's freshman class supports the idea (which was very popular when he was first hired) that he wouldn't be able to land any promising talent because of his terrible record at Army and just how long ago his success with Evansville had been.

There are actually two flavors of questions that have been tossed around about Crews since day 1. One is that he's a lousy recruiter. Two is that he's a lousy in-game strategist. Both are related to whether he can be successful now that the players Majerus recruited and developed are gone, but it strikes me as way too early to form conclusions about either. I am more inclined to share the concerns with the in-game coaching side, but the won-lost record over the past two years (and even the results so far this year) suggest he deserves more of a benefit of a doubt. As for his recruiting, I really don't see how this year's freshman class supports the idea (which was very popular when he was first hired) that he wouldn't be able to land any promising talent because of his terrible record at Army and just how long ago his success with Evansville had been.

It's absolutely too early to form conclusions, but you have to monitor the situation as it goes rather than react when it's too late.

The reality is, Crews won't be here that much longer regardless. From what I understood, he had a 3 year deal (last year being year 1) with 2 mutual options after that. Crews enjoyed retirement and he came into a great situation and was convinced to keep going. But I don't think he's someone who wants to coach into his late 60's or 70's.

Agree with HSmith. The freshmen recruiting class gets a pass from me so far.

And as to the whole expectations in the NCAA tourney argument. Those games have so much to do with match ups and how the bracket sets up.

Last year, we got the hottest team in the country in the round of 32 (many pundits calling for them to be a 1 seed).

And the year before Oregon was disrespected with a 4 seed also and proceeded to shoot ~50% from three even while we were playing decent D getting hands in their faces.

A lot of coaches wouldnt have been willing to "keep the wheel steady" after RM's departure and we may have never even gotten the enjoyment that comes with 3 straight dance appearances.