Zone Against Vandy?

slufan13

Sounds like we're going to see some zone tomorrow unless it's just all talk.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/SLUBillikens/tabid/328/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/15867/Billikens-Look-to-Contain-Damian-Jones-and-the-Commodores.aspx

"Because Jones poses such a significant threat (and logistical nightmare) in the post, Crews told reporters that he plans to utilize more zone looks on defense in an attempt to neutralize Vandy's leading scorer. Although the Billikens rarely deviate from their trademark man-to-man approach, they have been working zone during practice and are ready to take it for a—test drive—against the Commodores.
"We have been practicing playing zone," freshman guard Davell Roby said. "Coach Platt actually had lost his voice trying to yell at us about the zone… We're just trying to get it understood and know our parts. Now it's time to take it out and showcase it."
SLU's non-conference finale against Vanderbilt is set to get underway at 1 p.m. on Wednesday."

Sounds like we're going to see some zone tomorrow unless it's just all talk.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/SLUBillikens/tabid/328/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/15867/Billikens-Look-to-Contain-Damian-Jones-and-the-Commodores.aspx

"Because Jones poses such a significant threat (and logistical nightmare) in the post, Crews told reporters that he plans to utilize more zone looks on defense in an attempt to neutralize Vandy's leading scorer. Although the Billikens rarely deviate from their trademark man-to-man approach, they have been working zone during practice and are ready to take it for a—test drive—against the Commodores.
"We have been practicing playing zone," freshman guard Davell Roby said. "Coach Platt actually had lost his voice trying to yell at us about the zone… We're just trying to get it understood and know our parts. Now it's time to take it out and showcase it."
SLU's non-conference finale against Vanderbilt is set to get underway at 1 p.m. on Wednesday."

Sort of a pick your poison thing with Vanderbilt shooting almost 40% from the 3.

I get the nightmare part. The logistical part I don't get. We are not trying to organize the shipping of goods or people.

I interpreted it as relating to knowing when to double and which players to leave open when doing so. As such, implementing the ideal gameplan is logistical. In a zone getting guys to the right spots is less of an issue.

I interpreted it as relating to knowing when to double and which players to leave open when doing so. As such, implementing the ideal gameplan is logistical. In a zone getting guys to the right spots is less of an issue.

That would be strategy and tactics. Getting the team to the arena would be logistics.

That would be strategy and tactics. Getting the team to the arena would be logistics.

I mean, the term 'logistics' can be applied to any operation; it isn't confined to the realm of business or travel. I'd agree that it is a strange word to use in such a context, but it is still easily interpretable.

Logistics: "the detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies." ORIGIN late 19th cent. (in the sense ‘movement and supplying of troops and equipment’): from French logistique, from loger ‘lodge.’ "Logistical" is the derivative adjective. New Oxford American Dictionary.

The word is older than UPS's popularization of it as a buzz word. I don't think there's anything improper about the way it has been used here.

There's an old saying in military history. Amateurs discuss tactics and professionals discuss logistics........

Yes, but the logistics of war is getting the troops, equipment, supplies, etc to the battle. It isn't what you do with the troops in battle. A good primer on what logistics entails in the military sense, it's history in the military and the history of the word is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_logistics.

Yes, but the logistics of war is getting the troops, equipment, supplies, etc to the battle. It isn't what you do with the troops in battle. A good primer on what logistics entails in the military sense, it's history in the military and the history of the word is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_logistics.

Sounds like having the right people at the right place at the right time, properly equipped and trained is the essense of logistics and most sports.........

Sounds like having the right people at the right place at the right time, properly equipped and trained is the essense of logistics and most sports.........

When I was younger, and being an aspiring writer, I would look at a thesaurus and pick any synonym that sounded good. Now that I'm a lot older and a little wiser, I realize that even synonymous words have specific nuances and uses based on context. While it may be popular to use "logistical" in the sense of preparation for defending a particular offensive scheme and I really don't see anything wrong with it, I can see Brian's point. Some people are particular about using words true to their meanings [raises hand -- most of the time]. For Brian's sake, it may be more appropriate to say "strategical nightmare" than "logistical...."

I hope the Commodores experience some tough logistics and, combined with the Bills' slender Chaifetz mystique, lose a tough road game and help build the young SLU squad's confidence.