Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

If Austin is the only transfer we get that can immediately play, I’ll be a little disappointed. Basically we need someone who can fill roby’s minutes and role as an outside threat/ball handler. Austin can be a backup and makes sense as a one year player, but I really feel we still need someone who can just light it up when left open. While I’m plenty excited about thatch and Pearson, I don’t think they check both boxes.

my hope is that Austin is only part of the solution  

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, SShoe said:

If Austin is the only transfer we get that can immediately play, I’ll be a little disappointed. Basically we need someone who can fill roby’s minutes and role as an outside threat/ball handler. Austin can be a backup and makes sense as a one year player, but I really feel we still need someone who can just light it up when left open. While I’m plenty excited about thatch and Pearson, I don’t think they check both boxes.

my hope is that Austin is only part of the solution  

i disagree.    roby only played the role he did this year because of S2 imo.   had we not had that trainwreck concerned, henriquez would have played the majority of his minutes.    i have all the confidence in the world of bess, pearson, thatch, johnson and jacobs being able to equal the production of hines and roby. 

that does still leave roby and hines ball handling time.   however i have no problem with goodwin doing the lions share plus 6 minutes or so from a graduate transfer that has to be as good of a decision maker as turnover machine hines was.   dont get me wrong.  i appreciate the effort that hines gave us for 3 years.   but he was somewhat over his head and he was what he was.   thank god we had him as losing him as well would have been horrible with no one else to step up, but got to believe we will be better off next year with whatever ford comes up with.   i'll take the grad transfer and that opens the door for collins or better the following year.   

one tyhing for all to consider, our team chemistry from all in the stands viewing was outstanding.   sure ford and his assembled players get a lot of credit for that, but dont discount the fact that they all pretty much knew they were going to get time due to S2.   add parts to that "rotation" or deny players the chance to be a part of that rotation, only makes it harder to get the complete team buy in.   playing time is the ultimate tool to motivate or punish a player.   i.e a key component to team chemistry.  

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

one tyhing for all to consider, our team chemistry from all in the stands viewing was outstanding.   sure ford and his assembled players get a lot of credit for that, but dont discount the fact that they all pretty much knew they were going to get time due to S2.   add parts to that "rotation" or deny players the chance to be a part of that rotation, only makes it harder to get the complete team buy in.   playing time is the ultimate tool to motivate or punish a player.   i.e a key component to team chemistry.  

And Ford has a quick hook when you disappoint him.  Throw in someone like Yarbrough into the mix and he and Ford would had major issues last year, this year, and ongoing.....

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree.    roby only played the role he did this year because of S2 imo.   had we not had that trainwreck concerned, henriquez would have played the majority of his minutes.    i have all the confidence in the world of bess, pearson, thatch, johnson and jacobs being able to equal the production of hines and roby. 

that does still leave roby and hines ball handling time.   however i have no problem with goodwin doing the lions share plus 6 minutes or so from a graduate transfer that has to be as good of a decision maker as turnover machine hines was.   dont get me wrong.  i appreciate the effort that hines gave us for 3 years.   but he was somewhat over his head and he was what he was.   thank god we had him as losing him as well would have been horrible with no one else to step up, but got to believe we will be better off next year with whatever ford comes up with.   i'll take the grad transfer and that opens the door for collins or better the following year.   

If their production is equal, we aren't going anywhere next season. We need the production to be much better and we need to get the minutes of our primary players down significantly so we can compete in the last 10 minutes of a game.  

We still have 2 schollies to give for next season and 3 if Welmer leaves.  I have zero problem giving one to Austin, but it can't stop there. 

Frank just mentioned on his show that SLU knows they need to bring in a PG and views Austin as a guy who can protect and distribute the ball. He said they also really like Yuri but he obviously won't be available until 2019.

He said they're also talking with Mark Smith and he and Goodwin are good friends.

6 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just mentioned on his show that SLU knows they need to bring in a PG and views Austin as a guy who can protect and distribute the ball. He said they also really like Yuri but he obviously won't be available until 2019.

He said they're also talking with Mark Smith and he and Goodwin are good friends.

This is interesting, albeit confusing. Do you take both Smith and Collins? Is Smith a 1 or a 2? Does taking Smith hurt you with Collins? Do you care?

Smith couldn't shoot at Illinois - was that just bad luck? Could he shoot at Edwardsville? @billiken_roy

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

This is interesting, albeit confusing. Do you take both Smith and Collins? Is Smith a 1 or a 2? Does taking Smith hurt you with Collins? Do you care?

Smith couldn't shoot at Illinois - was that just bad luck? Could he shoot at Edwardsville? @billiken_roy

if my memory serves me right, he was a good shooter in HS.  Im hoping his bad year was a fluke, if thats the case, id love to have him at the 2 guard. 

Just now, SLURadioBoy said:

Apparently they are recruiting Smith right now. Frank said Smith and Goodwin are friends.

nno, I understand that.  sounds like numerous people have said either they dont care for each other, or theres just nothing between the two. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

nno, I understand that.  sounds like numerous people have said either they dont care for each other, or theres just nothing between the two. 

Sorry, I thought I may not have written it very clearly. I've read the same things on here about them not getting along, but Frank has mentioned it more than once.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Actually this is not true.  If your opinion is based on fake facts or immoral positions such as being a racist your opinion is not able to claim any position.  For and opinion to be legit it must have sound grounding and actually be based on truly debatable issues.  I am not saying your opinion is wrong just that your statement that an opinion is never wrong or right.

We have differing opinions on this, don't we. 

3 hours ago, davidnark said:

Goodwin, French, Bess, and Gordon likely have 4 of the 5 spots locked up for next season. Thatch, Johnson, Foreman, Pearson, Jacobs, and Santos are effectively fighting over the 5th spot, which will also depend upon the type of lineup coach wants to play. If you wanted to go really big and strong, you could actually play Goodwin, Bess, and Gordon in the backcourt with French and Foreman/Santos up front -- would break some rebounding records.

Jesus just thinking about that front court next season is making me drool. People aren't considering how much of a monster Santos is going to be inside the paint.  Will free up Gordon and French big time. 

55 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

i never liked his shot in high school.  i thought he was a straight ahead drive to the basket point guard at eville.   he made shots, but was probably at best as good of a high school 3 point shooter as goodwin was. 

i think a lot of people are not considering in high school how much of a great player and presence epenesa was and made smith look really good.   epenesa is playing football at iowa but he could have went high D1 in basketball, football or track.   just a flat out stud athlete that demanded attention in the lane in high school that undoubtedly gave smith a lot of options and room to excel.   not saying smith isnt a good player.   he had a splendid senior year.   but i believe he played above his true ability.   if he wants to be a backup to goodwin, im good with that.   he indeed would be a nice addition at that position.   but remember he has to sit if he comes to slu.   he will be no help next year when we need point guard backup badly.   avery good chance collins or better is here the next year as well.  

We don't need, nor do you actually want, 13 players eligible to play next year. None of the freshmen coming in next season are likely redshirts so one way to keep the grumbling about playing time a bit lower would be to have a transfer that has to sit. I'd take Mark Smith in a heartbeat.

Add in Austin as a true PG back-up that won't expect an enormous amount of minutes behind Goodwin and you've got a good class.

Need to know more about Whelmer's injury but even if you think its 60-70% that he plays again you probably keep him in the mix. Worst case is we only have 11 eligible players and best case is you've got that outside shooter we need desperately.

Zink likes this

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

We don't need, nor do you actually want, 13 players eligible to play next year. None of the freshmen coming in next season are likely redshirts so one way to keep the grumbling about playing time a bit lower would be to have a transfer that has to sit. I'd take Mark Smith in a heartbeat.

Add in Austin as a true PG back-up that won't expect an enormous amount of minutes behind Goodwin and you've got a good class.

Need to know more about Whelmer's injury but even if you think its 60-70% that he plays again you probably keep him in the mix. Worst case is we only have 11 eligible players and best case is you've got that outside shooter we need desperately.

I would argue Pearson is a prime RS candidate - because where does he automatically slot in the rotation? Let him get acclimated to the speed/athleticism of college ball, let Bess graduate. JJ will produce. Welmer might be able to dribble once or twice. Santos/Gordon/French/Foreman will lock up most of the minutes on the bigs. Bess isn't coming off the court except in limited circumstances; same with Goodwin. 

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I want all hands on deck next season.  You don't know who is going to get hurt or in trouble.  Plus, we have to have as good as season as possible next year so recruiting doesn't go down.  You can only sell playing time and  being part of something new far so long.  Results have to be there next season.  If you think a guy can help you win next season you take him.  If Welmer's spot opens up, then you can take a guy that will sit for a year.  I think we should be done recruiting high school players but those last two spots need to be filled with grad transfers or juco players that you think can help you win next season.

Zink likes this

2 minutes ago, Randy said:

I would argue Pearson is a prime RS candidate - because where does he automatically slot in the rotation? Let him get acclimated to the speed/athleticism of college ball, let Bess graduate. JJ will produce. Welmer might be able to dribble once or twice. Santos/Gordon/French/Foreman will lock up most of the minutes on the bigs. Bess isn't coming off the court except in limited circumstances; same with Goodwin. 

Pearson  can shoot!