Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Bingo

Wow. I forgot about him. Used to run with the Eagles when Tate was a coach there. Really wanted him at SLU out of high school. 

See that he's averaging 11 mpg and 2.8 points. Not amazing but this team would kill for 10 mpg from an SEC caliber guard. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3136480/larry-austin-jr 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Wow. I forgot about him. Used to run with the Eagles when Tate was a coach there. Really wanted him at SLU out of high school. 

See that he's averaging 11 mpg and 2.8 points. Not amazing but this team would kill for 10 mpg from an SEC caliber guard. 

reminds me of how dope girls i went to high school with suddenly became interested in me now in my 30s, no kids, never married 

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Assuming the stats are correct... he has only attempted 5 three pointers in almost 700 minutes over three years.  We need shooters but i guess we need ball handlers even worse.

49 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Yes, currently playing.  And has been discussed on this board before, though not very recently.

28 minutes ago, ACE said:

Larry Austin?

Seems like ACE might have beaten me to the answer as I was typing this out.  Austin seems like the most likely and unfortunately was the last one I made it to since I went through the schools in alphabetical order.

I like this game, so I'm combing through SEC rosters for PGs who might be eligible to grad transfer and I can recall having been discussed on the board:

Alabama:

Avery Johnson Jr - I believe SLU has some level of interest in him out of HS.  He is only a Jr on the roster, but transferred to Bama from Texas A&M after his freshman year so he has sat a yet already and may be grad transfer eligible

Florida:

Chris Chiozza - I think he went to HS with Roby, so he has been mentioned.  He is listed as a senior playing all 4 years at Florida (Edit: which I now think means he wouldn't be eligible to grad transfer.)

LSU:

Randy Onwausor - Remember him from the recruiting threads?  I actually think he is already a grad transfer this year so he's out.  He's played 4 years at 3 different schools now and already used a redshirt transfer year.

Mizzou:

Terrence Phillips - LOL

Vandy:

Larry Austin, Jr. -  Highly rated out of HS and SLU was on him a little bit because he played for the Eagles and is somewhat local.  Jr eligibility wise, but he transferred to Vandy from Xavier, so he is likely grad transfer eligible.  Stats at both stops have been very underwhelming.

Chris Chiozza would be by far the most exciting (edit: but he's prob not eligible), so I'm holding out hope that Roby is back channeling for Ford/SLU with him.  Neither Avery Johnson nor Larry Austin really have put up very good numbers in their careers.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Seems like ACE might have beaten me to the answer as I was typing this out.  Austin seems like the most likely and unfortunately was the last one I made it to since I went through the schools in alphabetical order.

I like this game, so I'm combing through SEC rosters for PGs who might be eligible to grad transfer and I can recall having been discussed on the board:

Alabama:

Avery Johnson Jr - I believe SLU has some level of interest in him out of HS.  He is only a Jr on the roster, but transferred to Bama from Texas A&M after his freshman year so he has sat a yet already and may be grad transfer eligible

Florida:

Chris Chiozza - I think he went to HS with Roby, so he has been mentioned.  He is listed as a senior playing all 4 years at Florida.

LSU:

Randy Onwausor - Remember him from the recruiting threads?  I actually think he is already a grad transfer this year so he's out.  He's played 4 years at 3 different schools now and already used a redshirt transfer year.

Mizzou:

Terrence Phillips - LOL

Vandy:

Larry Austin, Jr. -  Highly rated out of HS and SLU was on him a little bit because he played for the Eagles and is somewhat local.  Jr eligibility wise, but he transferred to Vandy from Xavier, so he is likely grad transfer eligible.  Stats at both stops have been very underwhelming.

Chris Chiozza would be by far the most exciting, so I'm holding out hope that Roby is back channeling for Ford/SLU with him.  Neither Avery Johnson nor Larry Austin really have put up very good numbers in their careers.

If Chiozza has played four years how would he be eligible for a fifth?  Doesn’t look like he got a medical redshirt or anything that I can tell. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If Chiozza has played four years how would he be eligible for a fifth?  Doesn’t look like he got a medical redshirt or anything that I can tell. 

Kassius Robertson played 4 years at Canisius.  You just have to graduate and still have that 5th year of eligibility available, then transfer to a school for a grad program that isn't offered at your current school.

Edit: oof nevermind, his stat line for his freshman year is all zeros.  Let me look into this further.  I still think you can grad transfer and play 5 years.

Edit: Maybe not.  I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Austin probably has been told by Vandy to look for other options.  They have Saban Lee and Garland as PG’s for next season and lead a scholarship for Langford.  

That’s a good point. Looking at his stats he has gotten less minutes as the season progressed, even a couple DNPs.  Maybe everybody decided to unofficially move on. 

His shooting percentage not great. 

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Kassius Robertson played 4 years at Canisius.  You just have to graduate and still have that 5th year of eligibility available, then transfer to a school for a grad program that isn't offered at your current school.

Edit: oof nevermind, his stat line for his freshman year is all zeros.  Let me look into this further.  I still think you can grad transfer and play 5 years.

You can definitely only play in four seasons. The exception is if you get a medical redshirt for a season after playing sparsely. 

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

You can't play 5 years. If you grad transfer and are playing your 5th year in college, it's because you took a redshirt year year somewhere in the first 4 years.

For example, Davell Roby has played 4 seasons at SLU. If he graduates in May, he can't go play a fifth year at another school. However, since guys like Javon Bess and DJ Foreman took the transfer redshirt year, if they graduate in May or this summer, they could grad transfer to another school. I hope they don't, but they could.

If Chiozza has played 4 years at Florida (no redshirts), he can't grad transfer anywhere. Robertson redshirted his freshman year at Canisius, so he had only used up 3 yeara of eligibility.

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

You can't play 5 years. If you grad transfer and are playing your 5th year in college, it's because you took a redshirt year year somewhere in the first 4 years.

For example, Davell Roby has played 4 seasons at SLU. If he graduates in May, he can't go play a fifth year at another school. However, since guys like Javon Bess and DJ Foreman took the transfer redshirt year, if they graduate in May or this summer, they could grad transfer to another school. I hope they don't, but they could.

If Chiozza has played 4 years at Florida (no redshirts), he can't grad transfer anywhere. Robertson redshirted his freshman year at Canisius, so he had only used up 3 yeara of eligibility.

Got it.  Thanks.  For some reason I thought you could do the 5th year if you hadn't used it up already as a redshirt year.  I like the rule, but it seems like it is rewarding kids who jump schools more than guys who stick with one school and maybe want to pursue a graduate degree after their 4 years.

If I'm a college athlete who cares about  my education (maybe rare), I'm hoping for a redshirt or I transfer, so that I can get my grad school paid for as well.

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

No thanks on Austin. He’s never been a good college player. I’d rather have a 5th year of Hines. 

god, NO, NO,  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and not possible because he has already used 4 years of eligibility over 5 years.

46 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Based on those stats, it appears he is not an SEC caliber guard.

Here's a thought/player that I have not seen mentioned on this Board.

Assuming we do not have 13 scholarships filled next year and could use another Guard, how about Brooks Ford?  He is a very good player and shooter and has some Mizzou/Porter type connection to SLU.

He is capable of playing at a lower-D1 or D2 type program, so if a scholarship is open  he could certainly help.

I don't know what the rule is on coaches' kids with regard to using 1 of 13 scholarship, but I presume that they do count.  (Thinking back to the Grawer/Winfield year).  I also do not know what the SLU policy is regarding kids of SLU employees being able to attend free.  My point being, if he could attend SLU tuition free without playing basketball after 1 or 2 years on a basketball scholarship, then that could be an option.

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, bauman said:

god, NO, NO,  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and not possible because he has already used 4 years of eligibility over 5 years.

He played two years at Xavier. Transfered to Vandy and sat out a year. Playing this year. He has one year left. He has never been able to shoot.

2 minutes ago, slusam said:

He played two years at Xavier. Transfered to Vandy and sat out a year. Playing this year. He has one year left. He has never been able to shoot.

My post was referring to Hines.  With regard to Austin let's also remember that he was in a strange situation this year since he was probably recruited to Vandy by a different Head Coach--Stallings-- than who is there now.