Would relocation of Rams open opportunity for SLU?

bk18

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the Ferguson/Mike Brown Protests have any impact on the decision in the Rams relocating? Maybe when Stan saw the protesters and fans fighting over flags, hitting and spitting on each other after the Rams game, he began to lean towards relocation. Thoughts?????

To some extent, and I bet Kronke brought it up behind closed doors as he trashed SL.

FYI I'm told applications are way down at the 3 major universities in SL.

To some extent, and I bet Kronke brought it up behind closed doors as he trashed SL.

FYI I'm told applications are way down at the 3 major universities in SL.

Kroenke purchased his 60 acres of land in LA well before the Ferguson incident (early 2014 I think).. and the wheels were churning before that. Zero extent

Kroenke purchased his 60 acres of land in LA well before the Ferguson incident (early 2014 I think).. and the wheels were churning before that. Zero extent

Yes I know Kroenke made his decision long ago. Not relevent to my point.

I am saying that he used during negotiations the last 1/2 year, doing the deal, to slime SL and that some owners might have bought into that notion.

We only had one carpet bag owner - the one who just left. Bidwill was an inept owner but he was committed to StL. Is was StL let him down.

But the Bidwill family moved the team here from Chicago.

I love this quote from Vince Schoemehl after the Big Red left:

“The fact of the matter is, these are not reputable people, and I don’t think it’s becoming of a city to extend themselves to postures that allow them to kiss the backsides of such people. ... These aren’t nice people, in my judgment.”

I love the argument that we should give NFL teams hundreds of millions of public dollars because they are a civic asset like a zoo, art museum, symphony, etc.. We should do that soon as all NFL teams are ready to become non-profit operations controlled by local boards like art museums, zoos, etc..

But the Bidwill family moved the team here from Chicago.

I love this quote from Vince Schoemehl after the Big Red left:

My point simply was that Bidwill gave us every opportunity to keep him here. Had Kroenke done 1% of what Bidwill did the Rams would still be here. Also, back in 1960 the stakes were not as high or even close to what is happening now.

TCU fan here -- thought I'd venture over and see if there was a thread about re-establishing football in the wake of the Rams leaving. Can't say I've read much optimism.

A regular topic of conversation on Big 12 fan boards is conference realignment, with the Big 12 (already poached by PAC, B1G and SEC) feeling especially vulnerable. My Frogs have the poaching to thank for their conference membership, but the question remains about long-term sustainability. Some want to add AAC teams as far afield as Temple and UConn; others want to try to poach the ACC.

If I'm the Big 12 leadership, I have my eye on Denver and St. Louis as the best markets for shoring up membership. Both top-25 TV markets; neither with a strong historic link to the current conference of their flagship state school; both with reasonable travel costs/time for most member schools for smaller sports (a bigger consideration than you think); both offering an opportunity to claim share of interest from other conferences -- in St. Louis' case, both SEC and B1G. And in the case of St. Louis, good recruiting ground.

Whoever said SIUE is better positioned to build a D1 football program doesn't realize that power brokers/legislators aren't going to let another state school erode the flagship school's influence in STL. Has to be a private university. I know little about the SLU community, but you draw well for basketball, have a large enough alumni community to provide a reasonable core of fans, have huge potential for developing a local fan base beyond alumni, and have a strong academic profile that wouldn't scare off administrators from major conference schools (an issue with Memphis and Cincinnati).

I agree that a step-by-step approach to building a football program is not worth the cost and effort. But if SLU has some athletic donors with money and vision, and good relationships with local government that could lead to a favorable long-term lease downtown (giving the city time to court an NFL expansion/relocation and SLU time enough to work out plans for its own stadium), I could see a straight-to-Power-5 approach being worth a look. Big 12 might consider it on the basis of market and regional stability--rumor had it they were looking at Villanova a while back and more recently considering Temple. SLU makes more sense than either of those.

The lack of optimism for the idea on this board isn't heartening. But I think you've got a compelling combination of geography, demographics and circumstances.

TCU fan here -- thought I'd venture over and see if there was a thread about re-establishing football in the wake of the Rams leaving. Can't say I've read much optimism.

A regular topic of conversation on Big 12 fan boards is conference realignment, with the Big 12 (already poached by PAC, B1G and SEC) feeling especially vulnerable. My Frogs have the poaching to thank for their conference membership, but the question remains about long-term sustainability. Some want to add AAC teams as far afield as Temple and UConn; others want to try to poach the ACC.

If I'm the Big 12 leadership, I have my eye on Denver and St. Louis as the best markets for shoring up membership. Both top-25 TV markets; neither with a strong historic link to the current conference of their flagship state school; both with reasonable travel costs/time for most member schools for smaller sports (a bigger consideration than you think); both offering an opportunity to claim share of interest from other conferences -- in St. Louis' case, both SEC and B1G. And in the case of St. Louis, good recruiting ground.

Whoever said SIUE is better positioned to build a D1 football program doesn't realize that power brokers/legislators aren't going to let another state school erode the flagship school's influence in STL. Has to be a private university. I know little about the SLU community, but you draw well for basketball, have a large enough alumni community to provide a reasonable core of fans, have huge potential for developing a local fan base beyond alumni, and have a strong academic profile that wouldn't scare off administrators from major conference schools (an issue with Memphis and Cincinnati).

I agree that a step-by-step approach to building a football program is not worth the cost and effort. But if SLU has some athletic donors with money and vision, and good relationships with local government that could lead to a favorable long-term lease downtown (giving the city time to court an NFL expansion/relocation and SLU time enough to work out plans for its own stadium), I could see a straight-to-Power-5 approach being worth a look. Big 12 might consider it on the basis of market and regional stability--rumor had it they were looking at Villanova a while back and more recently considering Temple. SLU makes more sense than either of those.

The lack of optimism for the idea on this board isn't heartening. But I think you've got a compelling combination of geography, demographics and circumstances.

SLU can't even build a top 300 basketball program at this point.

The idea of SLU football is dead-on-arrival. It's not happening. SIUE is a state school with state resources. SLU has other priorities. That's why people think that. I agree with them.

SLU also cannot afford to transport a damned football team all over the country. SIUE in the OVC can use bus transport for the entire conference schedule. The conference is also much weaker and thus easier to build a competitive product for.

Billiken football isn't happening. The resources and will aren't here. We need to be focused on getting to Dayton and Xavier's level with hoops. Top flight D1 hoops would be a bombshell in this top 25 media market.

Geography, demographics, and circumstances are irrelevant compared to reality.

The idea we would build a Big 12-level team is absolute insanity. Any college team that is new-built in the area is gonna suck.

Also, Ann Richards no longer living has helped TCU get into today's Big XII... I'm sure you are old enough to remember the whole Baylor/TCU spat when the Big 8 morphed into 12.

Plenty old enough to remember. Getting left out of the Big 12 in the 90s forced TCU to make a decision to either pursue excellence or drop football. Either decision could have worked out; glad TCU decided to stay in the game.

Understand that getting into the game is another decision entirely. And part of that would be a willingness to be less-than-competitive for a while.

On the other hand, you could go toe-to-toe with Kansas right out of the gate. :)

Best of luck with continuing your recent run of success in hoops.

While I would love SLU to consider reviving the program, it certainly would take a tremendous amount of capital backed by boosters. I don't know if they are interested in that, I would assume not. However, the school would be foolish to not at least examine the potential market for a team. Or at the very least see the potential for the basketball program to take a big slice of the television ratings if they return to prominence.

Plenty old enough to remember. Getting left out of the Big 12 in the 90s forced TCU to make a decision to either pursue excellence or drop football. Either decision could have worked out; glad TCU decided to stay in the game.

Understand that getting into the game is another decision entirely. And part of that would be a willingness to be less-than-competitive for a while.

On the other hand, you could go toe-to-toe with Kansas right out of the gate. :)

Best of luck with continuing your recent run of success in hoops.

TCU fans from St Louis are the worst fans.

If the Big 12 told SLU, "You add football and we will immediately add you as a full member of our conference."; I am sure SLU could round up the resources to make it happen. The university would be foolish not to.

I don't think there is any chance of the Big 12 ever even considering that kind of offer.

Well, this part of the statement is incorrect, at least. Several of the state universities in Illinois are on the verge of shutting down.

SIUE isn't a research university in the same vein as SLU. I see no potential for SIUE to play football, Don't read that into it.

Rauner wont be governor for 30 years. Who is more likely to have football in 30 years? I think that is the actual question. The idea football would ever come sooner is absurd apart from chaifetz and tucci spending literally every dime they have.

Maybe Kroenke will finance a team. Its absurdist talk.

Will anyone have football in 30 years? I'd rather see SLU fund and dominate the sports already in place, maybe adding hockey and/or lacrosse to the D1 ranks.

If they would've made Chaifetz able to turn into a hockey rink, I think D1 hockey would be great. There are a lot of former NHL alumni living in the area and St. Louis is producing a lot of NHL talent right now. There are currently 5 kids from St. Louis listed on the top 40 North American skaters for the upcoming NHL draft which is impressive. Blues also announced recently their plan to contribute more money to hockey development programs in the area.

No idea of conference and all of those things that go with it but from a talent stand point, makes sense for SLU.

If they would've made Chaifetz able to turn into a hockey rink, I think D1 hockey would be great. There are a lot of former NHL alumni living in the area and St. Louis is producing a lot of NHL talent right now. There are currently 5 kids from St. Louis listed on the top 40 North American skaters for the upcoming NHL draft which is impressive. Blues also announced recently their plan to contribute more money to hockey development programs in the area.

No idea of conference and all of those things that go with it but from a talent stand point, makes sense for SLU.

As with football, hockey is a massive money drain. The Billikens set the all-time college attendance record once and generally had one of the higher average attendances in the country, but the main reason the program was dropped was budget. They were artificially supported in their early years because the Salomons gave them free or close-to-free rent in the Barn.