Scrimmage

Tonka

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayne.

Enough with the comments questioning effort: first by our Bills and then by Memphis. In short, I have watched our Bills for 30 years dating back to the arrival of Grawer (and a few but sporadic games prior) and effort by college kids has really not been the problem. And I fully admit to having been critical of certain players over the years who either lacked sufficient skill, talent, competitiveness or who were repeatedly put in positions whereby they were in over their heads but not once have I questioned their effort. This is college basketball - not veteran NBA.guys in the middle of their long season.

Just b/c they closed the doors to the public does not mean that our kids, or those of Memphis, would not (and did not) give 100% effort. did If you haven't noticed, we have 13 guys who think they should start and play meaningful minutes so each of our kids have every incentive to give 100% effort. And a few comments about the scrimmage even though I did NOT see the kids play:

1. AG continues to receive minutes and impress some (though not all). Has no one told him that he is last on this Board's depth chart and needs to redshirt? :)

2. I am as optimistic about Ash as the next guy, but why are we expecting him to be Larry Hughes and not only put up 20+ ppg but also to carry the team each night. Reality: Ash will be good but he won't be our best player, top scorer, etc. each and every day. No need to place such pressure and expectations upon him.

3. Crews appears to have Jake Barnett like confidence in Mike Crawford. Let's hope Crawford has a better year than Barnett did last year.

4. MR and DR are the real thing. Mistake by the will happen but keep playing them Coach.

5. If RA stays healthy, it appears that he is our primary inside threat and that TL will be a role player from the perimeter.

I wasn't "really" critiquing the team's effort (I know this team will always give it 100% under Jim Crews [Memphis is another story]), I was actually more so taking a jab at some of the chicken littles on here who didn't think the team was going to be even remotely decent this year. I've been confident of a 20+ win season the whole time, and seeing the team in action last week made me even more confident. Hearing the news of beating Memphis in a scrimmage (a consensus pre season top 30 team right now) makes me even more confident.

The Memphis blogosphere is not liking the news about the scrimmage since SLU is supposedly this young and inexperienced team that will not win a game this season. I will admit that we do have holes to mend specifically in the defensive and rebounding departments but does one believe Crews will not field a defense first team. We will get better with more experience but I am admittedly excited about this team and our chances to prove the bball gurus wrong.

If we start improving the rebounding then which players will shoulder the load? Outside of Reggie, it doesn't seem like we have many options... Manning couldn't even rebound against Harris Stowe players 6 inches shorter than him

-"shoulder the load" with our injuries. really?

I wasn't "really" critiquing the team's effort (I know this team will always give it 100% under Jim Crews [Memphis is another story]), I was actually more so taking a jab at some of the chicken littles on here who didn't think the team was going to be even remotely decent this year. I've been confident of a 20+ win season the whole time, and seeing the team in action last week made me even more confident. Hearing the news of beating Memphis in a scrimmage (a consensus pre season top 30 team right now) makes me even more confident.

You thought we looked like a 20+ win team against Harris-Stowe?

Tx for the link Tarheel, but he never said a thing about us. Sure hope JC will stress hitting the boards.

I took the opposite of what Pastner said. Like when he said Memphis press was awful meant to me that maybe we passed the ball real well and able to handle pressure defenses.

I'm still a little unclear on how these scrimmages work. People are reporting a final score here, but I thought the idea was that the teams could agree to set up the clock/score in order to simulate certain in-game situations. Is all that done after completion of an actual exhibition "game?"

I'm still a little unclear on how these scrimmages work. People are reporting a final score here, but I thought the idea was that the teams could agree to set up the clock/score in order to simulate certain in-game situations. Is all that done after completion of an actual exhibition "game?"

-Pastner indicated a regulation game was played, he did not give a final score (which I guess would have placed him on (further?) the ncaa's radar)

-reports about scrimmages in previous years indicated more along the lines of what you reference

I don't think tey play a regulation game. I think they play more like a half. Then they run through different game scenarios for an extended period of time. Each teams gets a turn on offense and defense.

Ouch. Bet slu72 is going to revise his season prediction below 14 wins now.

Slu72 revises his prediction to 1-29. Only win against Rockhurst

Especially true if this d2 team out rebounded Memphis.

I'm still trying to figure out we ever made 3 NCAA tournies after losing to Carleton!

-there is much, much consternation in Charleston at this moment

D-1 teams never lost to D-2 teams in exhibitions 10-15 years ago. It would happen once every 5 years. Now there are 2 or 3 every season. Wouldn't surprise me to see the exhibitions start to get even more fazed out.

We have played CBC Memphis several times over the years, usually rang up 100 on them.

Torch - I don't think there was quite as much volume though. Those were the days when teams were allowed to play the Athletes in action and alumni type teams for one of their exhibitions.

But I do agree partly. I think you're already starting to see a move towards the secret scrimmages and moving the D2 teams into the regular season in place of a 300+ rpi team.