OT: Donald Sterling

So you say we should tape all private conversations by everyone in their own homes so they don't say anything "bad"?

And they lose their companies, their jobs, if they said anything bad about minorities or homosexuals or say inappropriate religious statements? In 3 days?

Wow I think I said something about the Redskins the other day, a friend says they will have a winning season, I disagreed. I guess I should be made to sell everything and get TF out of the way or there will be boycotts. I am a threat to society. I said something bad. I should go turn myself in.

Again, you know damn well that many, many NBA players have had very questionable, uh, incidents and paternity issues, etc, and many almost certainly say all kinds of comparably inappropriate things about other races and / or homosexuals in the privacy of their homes or with trusted friends. They should all take lie detector tests and if they fail, they are banned from the league. We cannot have this sort of thing in the NBA!

You're not very good at reading comprehension. You're first statement is stupid and is, not surprisingly, totally irrelevant to my post.

If you own a giant business, make racist statements and they get out into the public, the. you're going to face consequences. It doesn't surprise me you don't get this as companies don't waste time educating middle management on these types of issues.

But hey, every black person plays the race card. Every single one. Right?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not very good at reading comprehension. You're first statement is stupid and is, not surprisingly, totally irrelevant to my post.

If you own a giant business, make racist statements and they get out into the public, the. you're going to face consequences. It doesn't surprise me you don't get this as companies don't waste time educating middle management on these types of issues.

But hey, every black person plays the race card. Every single one. Right?

FYI, I attended intense diversity programs (3-4 day sessions) for senior management, with two of the three Fortune 500 companies I served, one included the CEO.

I was mocking your absolute audacity, "actions have consequences" as though you are the all knowing "decider" for the Sterling incident. You imply accountability for racism is just if you own a "giant business", it is not necessary for the $ 10M a year players? Our youth's role models? Just the owner?

And I did not say every black person plays the race card, I said (meant) that it is played all the time, every day you hear another example. For some reason the last 5 years racial tension in the USA has increased dramatically.

Everyone in the NBA knew about 80 year old Sterling's indiscretions for 30 years, took his money (salaries) with a smile, but all of a sudden they go get him based on a private audio tape discussion with his, uh, girlfriend; interesting timing. The national media gave him the swift "hammer" with amazing speed and orchestrated precision. Political?

I think Sterling deserved to be disciplined significantly, but it is sure interesting how swift and coordinated and severe the actions taken were...he is forced to sell his (est.) $ 750 million business? A coincidence? That is an issue to me.

Arguing race, sexual orientation, politics, etc., on an internet message board with complete strangers is a great way to pass the time while accomplishing nothing.

I'm bummed posters don't include their age, race, location, etc., when discussing such issues so I could better stereotype the hell out of them.. Though some make it easier to assume than others.

Remember the first one to get angry in an argument loses. #preach #america #hope

FYI, I attended intense diversity programs (3-4 day sessions) for senior management, with two of the three Fortune 500 companies I served, one included the CEO.

I was mocking your absolute audacity, "actions have consequences" as though you are the all knowing "decider" for the Sterling incident. You imply accountability for racism is just if you own a "giant business", it is not necessary for the $ 10M a year players? Our youth's role models? Just the owner?

And I did not say every black person plays the race card, I said (meant) that it is played all the time, every day you hear another example. For some reason the last 5 years racial tension in the USA has increased dramatically.

Everyone in the NBA knew about 80 year old Sterling's indiscretions for 30 years, took his money (salaries) with a smile, but all of a sudden they go get him based on a private audio tape discussion with his, uh, girlfriend; interesting timing. The national media gave him the swift "hammer" with amazing speed and orchestrated precision. Political?

I think Sterling deserved to be disciplined significantly, but it is sure interesting how swift and coordinated and severe the actions taken were...he is forced to sell his (est.) $ 750 million business? A coincidence? That is an issue to me.

This was primarily a business decision by the NBA, not a moral one. Sponsors were dropping like flies. It was a major distraction as the playoffs are getting started. He has a long history of this stuff and the NBA can be questioned why they didn't enforce more discipine earlier, but this appeared to be the final straw for Sterling. Think!

This was primarily a business decision by the NBA, not a moral one. Sponsors were dropping like flies. It was a major distraction as the playoffs are getting started. He has a long history of this stuff and the NBA can be questioned why they didn't enforce more discipine earlier, but this appeared to be the final straw for Sterling. Think!

A lot of people are trying to place this event in a vacuum. Context matters for business decisions.

It seems like the NBA really only had one option, and it didn't matter to them if it was completely sound or not to ban sterling. The fact is, if they didn't ban sterling, can you imagine the public outrage and mass media attacks on the NBA management? They knew what they had to do, and they had to do it fast to look good and avoid public outcry.

Does banning sterling solve anything? Nope. Does it do away with racist attitudes in our society? Absolutely not. In fact, Morgan freeman once said, "If you wanna stop racism, then stop talking about it."

in all seriousness, thanks for not shutting this thread down, mods. these kinds of things need to be talked out civilly with only last resort moderation. if sensitive subjects want to be resolved and understood by the masses, they need to be discussed.

in all seriousness, thanks for not shutting this thread down, mods. these kinds of things need to be talked out civilly with only last resort moderation. if sensitive subjects want to be resolved and understood by the masses, they need to be discussed.

Yeh. It got a little heated on here the past couple of days but good to see an open discussion on such an important topic.

A lot of people are trying to place this event in a vacuum. Context matters for business decisions.

They've been looking for an excuse to get rid of him for years. Before Stern handed him Chris Paul to team with Blake Griffin, the Clippers were the worst franchise in pro sports in one of the biggest markets.

And now if he is forced to sell it and gets 1 billion plus - it is a win-win for the owners!

+1 Not surprising - the one person calling for it to be banned and what was likely motivating him. It is quite illuminating to see what folks think and healthy to debate it. A lot of progress has been made, but if we are to achieve the utopian vision of race relations that Tonka outlined, having the Donald Sterlings of the world die off will move us closer. Reading the views of MB, a self-styled power player at several Fortune 500 companies, suggests that we still have a ways to go. I am a can is half full kind of guy, however, and see that folks who hold those views are losing the battle for hearts and minds. They will continue to drift to the fringes of society and become less relevant.

What ACE just wrote has some merit, though I will point out a lot of this is a function of the dramatic changing demographics in the USA.

30% of The USA is now black or Mexican American. The blacks are clearly united, the Mexican Americans will more in time. Gays are now participating in the political arena, years ago they were not united. Boycotts, protests, lawsuits, etc. are all effective tactics that before now were not nearly as significant.

Sterling is an old crooked senile racist billionaire coot, not to be categorized as a credible example of the kind of people who made this country great.

Again, this Sterling ouster is not just "basketball and The NBA", it is a major political event, and is going to keep on going in many forms for quite some time.

For anyone interested, a video about innate human prejudice that my psychology professor showed our class the other day:

It really highlights how our society thinks today and where many of our prejudices come from. The fact is that we all have certain natural prejudices, but many more members of society are choosing to control those prejudices than in years past. Some (like Donald Sterling) cannot/refuse to control their prejudices in the public sphere.

For anyone interested, a video about innate human prejudice that my psychology professor showed our class the other day:

It really highlights how our society thinks today and where many of our prejudices come from. The fact is that we all have certain natural prejudices, but many more members of society are choosing to control those prejudices than in years past. Some (like Donald Sterling) cannot/refuse to control their prejudices in the public sphere.

interesting. i took from that video that i would happily put my breakfast sausage in college lady's gooshie clam. in the workplace, or at home with her family. even if she is hiding her jampouches behind that frumpy ass shirt.

interesting. i took from that video that i would happily put my breakfast sausage in college lady's gooshie clam. in the workplace, or at home with her family. even if she is hiding her jampouches behind that frumpy ass shirt.

Glad to see you're still in mid-season form.

Serious question: If the Clippers were not in the playoffs and this got leaked would he have still been banned? Or would he have received a large fine along with the league working behind the scenes to make him sell?

Sadly, I believe the later would have occurred. The NBA's problem was that there was zero time for this to blow over since the Clippers were in the middle of a heated series. And, like many pointed out, sponsors began to pull out because they felt they needed to take swift action before the next game was played.

Serious question: If the Clippers were not in the playoffs and this got leaked would he have still been banned? Or would he have received a large fine along with the league working behind the scenes to make him sell?

Sadly, I believe the later would have occurred. The NBA's problem was that there was zero time for this to blow over since the Clippers were in the middle of a heated series. And, like many pointed out, sponsors began to pull out because they felt they needed to take swift action before the next game was played.

I think the fact that TMZ leaked it played a bigger role than them being in the postseason. If it had been ESPN I don't know that it gets the same kind of national attention. I could be wrong but it just seems that this transcended being a sports story because of the source.

Didn't read this thread so sorry if it's been mentioned but I find it interesting that Sterling gets banned for life and gets a $2.5 million fine for a comment made in private and Kobe called a ref a "f ucking fagg ot" during a game and got a $100,000 fine. I don't really have an option on that comparison but I did find it interesting. What Sterling did warranted his punishment in my opinion.

I would like to add a scary word into this discussion: Alzheimer's. Anyone wants to take this line up and discuss it?

I earlier mentioned that if Sterling fights this (which I hope for his sake and everyone's sake he does not), it is possible, even likely, that he will have MD's lined up and he will play the dementia / Alzheimer's card. (Seinfeld: Uncle Leo.... "I'm an old man, I was confused")

Didn't read this thread so sorry if it's been mentioned but I find it interesting that Sterling gets banned for life and gets a $2.5 million fine for a comment made in private and Kobe called a ref a "f ucking fagg ot" during a game and got a $100,000 fine. I don't really have an option on that comparison but I did find it interesting. What Sterling did warranted his punishment in my opinion.

There are numerous, maybe countless examples of NBA players behaving very, very badly. But Kobe is in a protected class, so he got off lightly, isn't banned for life and all of that.

If Sterling gets stubborn and challenges the forced sale of his franchise, his lawyers will bring a lot of this to light for the sake of comparison, and it will be ugly. But his side is uglier than sh*t, he should sell to the anointed party (Magic?) and claim profits and victory and go away.

I think the fact that TMZ leaked it played a bigger role than them being in the postseason. If it had been ESPN I don't know that it gets the same kind of national attention. I could be wrong but it just seems that this transcended being a sports story because of the source.

My gut tells me ESPN sits on this story instead of breaking it. They don't want to hurt their relationship with the NBA.

I earlier mentioned that if Sterling fights this (which I hope for his sake and everyone's sake he does not), it is possible, even likely, that he will have MD's lined up and he will play the dementia / Alzheimer's card. (Seinfeld: Uncle Leo.... "I'm an old man, I was confused")

There are numerous, maybe countless examples of NBA players behaving very, very badly. But Kobe is in a protected class, so he got off lightly, isn't banned for life and all of that.

If Sterling gets stubborn and challenges the forced sale of his franchise, his lawyers will bring a lot of this to light for the sake of comparison, and it will be ugly. But his side is uglier than sh*t, he should sell to the anointed party (Magic?) and claim profits and victory and go away.

The Alzheimer Card doesn't excuse his history of stupid statements/actions.

Yep, bball players behave badly. The NBA is a business. Kobe is/was in the protected class called "superstar". Getting pissed at a ref and saying "f*g got" doesn't rise to the same level of negative behavior in the collective social consciousness. What history of racist/bigoted things have leaked out about Kobe prior to or after that happened? Was Kobe remorseful, even if just placating the powers that be? And if Kobe was convicted of rape, I'm pretty sure the NBA would have disowned him. Think.

It will be a great day when we wash our hands of MB's thinking and the people who agree with him.

Sterling could fight the forced sale, but he will lose. This isn't your regular McDonald's franchisee and people need to start realizing that. There are 30 franchisees in the NBA. Every single one has to respect the league as a whole. He signed a franchise agreement with some sort of morality and "good of the league" stipulations in it. There isn't much he can do except delay the process through the use of the court system, but that will only buy him a few months max.

Ultimately he will get about 1,000,000,000 more than he paid for the team out of it in a sale, so I am not too concerned for his well being. The guy sounds like a backwards bully anyways.