Jordan Barnett

Schasz

He would not have been the most talented player on our team this year.

Likely would have been the most athletic player though. Having watched that kid fly down the court on fast breaks and throw down vicious dunks numerous times, I am not sure we have anybody with that sort of athletic ability. Definitely a high major athlete. I am interested to see how he does at Texas and how he is utilized.

CBC would have been stacked with Doby and McCaw on that roster in addition to Barnett, Barnes, and Willis, but they seemed to have some chemistry issues last season with those guys. Not sure Willis is a BCS player, but we will see. I think Barnes will get there, but he has some work to do.

Tyler Cook from Chaminade is another kid in that class that will be of interest this summer and his junior season. I am on the fence whether he is someone we should offer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what happened to Doby and McCaw?

They decided to transfer after McCormack was fired (Patrick's dad was an assistant for McCormack and took the head coaching job at Trinity) and ultimately ended up at Montrose Christian in Maryland after being unable to play immediately at Trinity (at least I think that is how it went down).

So, what happened to Doby and McCaw?

McCaw transferred first to Trinity High where his father is coach but, would not have been eligible to play this season. He transferred again, this time to Montrose Christian, ( a prep school) and evidently played well. Doby transferred to another school also. I'm not sure which one.

McCaw transferred first to Trinity High where his father is coach but, would not have been eligible to play this season. He transferred again, this time to Montrose Christian, ( a prep school) and evidently played well. Doby transferred to another school also. I'm not sure which one.

They are both at Montrose Christian. Doby is committed to DePaul.

They are both at Montrose Christian. Doby is committed to DePaul.

Montrose Christian? I assume that is out of town somewhere? A basketball factory type school? Tell me, please.

Are they both from the St. Louis area originally?

Did he ever actually go to Trinity?

Montrose Christian? I assume that is out of town somewhere? A basketball factory type school? Tell me, please.

Are they both from the St. Louis area originally?

McCaw and Doby are, I believe, both from Illinois originally. I know for a fact that Doby started out at Cahokia. They transferred to CBC their sophomore seasons and played at CBC both sophomore and junior seasons.

They finished out at Montrose which is indeed a basketball academy. Doby has been said to be a bit of a head case, committed to Depaul. McCaw has shown fewer character concerns and his stock has risen a lot the past year. He will most likely head to one of the schools that Torch mentioned.

I wish McCaw had shown more interest in SLU. Don't mind missing out on Doby.

Doby was the only one playing in IL. He transferred over to CBC after his freshman season than had to sit out his sophomore season and got into some trouble playing for the JV squad. McCaw had been at CBC the whole time. He grew 8 inches from freshman to Jr year raising his stock subtantially.

McCaw and Doby are, I believe, both from Illinois originally. I know for a fact that Doby started out at Cahokia. They transferred to CBC their sophomore seasons and played at CBC both sophomore and junior seasons.

They finished out at Montrose which is indeed a basketball academy. Doby has been said to be a bit of a head case, committed to Depaul. McCaw has shown fewer character concerns and his stock has risen a lot the past year. He will most likely head to one of the schools that Torch mentioned.

I wish McCaw had shown more interest in SLU. Don't mind missing out on Doby.

CBC has an interesting program, there. State champs!

He is certainly a scorer. If I am not mistaken he had back to back 50 point games this year. However, much like with Brett Thompson from a few years ago, you have to take the opposition into consideration. Please note, I am not knocking the kid. He might be everything his numbers say he is but I am betting that if the staff thought he were an A-10 caliber player they would have been on him

Slu Drew,

I'm pretty sure CBC traveled to both Ohio and SoCal for tournaments this year and played against teams that were head and shoulders above any local competition.

The A-10 plays Thug ball: look what happened to DE and JJ some teams even started penalty killers to beat them down and brought in the skilled players later.

The A-10 plays Thug ball: look what happened to DE and JJ some teams even started penalty killers to beat them down and brought in the skilled players later.

According to MB, only one A-10 plays "thugball"... guess which one? Slu72 touched on one from the past. Guess what they have in common?

Slu Drew,

I'm pretty sure CBC traveled to both Ohio and SoCal for tournaments this year and played against teams that were head and shoulders above any local competition.

SLUDrew was talking about Josh Robinson from St. Mary's in that post.

I guess if you ignore level of competition, field goal attempts, 3pt %, scouts' opinions of how a player would project against D1 competion, and focus only on points per game and ranking in a local publications all-metro HS team, then yeah...it's a bit of a mystery why we didn't offer the kid...but fortunately SLU's recruiting process is more sophisticated than yours.

Josh Robinson played for a St Mary's team that went 11-14 (4-4 in conference). He averaged 35 PPG, but he also averaged 25 (!) shots per game. To give you some perspective on how many shots that is, Michael Jordan averaged 25 shot attempts per game only twice in his NBA career - and keep in mind NBA games are 50% longer than HS games. Robinson took 48.5% of his teams shots on the year. He was playing against mostly lightweight and middleweight schools. He only shot 32% from 3. He committed to Austin Peay, with offers from SIUE, SEMO and Eastern Illinois.

Why not take a chance on him? That's why.

Gillman is 6'11 and had a nice season (averaging over 16 points and 9 rebounds and 3 blocks) for an Oakville team that went 19-8 (7-1 in conference) against mostly large schools.

Moreover, there is a scarcity of big men in college basketball. There are a handful of polished centers, and they are the easiest blue chip recruits for the Elite programs to key on. Every one else must recruit unpolished projects and develop them over several years in the program.

Bottom line: You only have 13 scholarships. You take chances on big men who you hope to develop. With guards you can be more selective.

+1. I was preparing to make the exact same argument you just made. Thank you for saving my time.

Josh Robinson played for a St Mary's team that went 11-14 (4-4 in conference). He averaged 35 PPG, but he also averaged 25 (!) shots per game. To give you some perspective on how many shots that is, Michael Jordan averaged 25 shot attempts per game only twice in his NBA career - and keep in mind NBA games are 50% longer than HS games. Robinson took 48.5% of his teams shots on the year. He was playing against mostly lightweight and middleweight schools. He only shot 32% from 3. He committed to Austin Peay, with offers from SIUE, SEMO and Eastern Illinois.

Yeah, like my school: St. Pius X, a co-ed school in southern Jefferson County with about 380 students. Let me be the first to tell you: We were NOT a good basketball team. If they didn't beat us by 45 points I would consider it a personal victory. I don't think the kid has much potential, I just think he was a mediocre high school level player. Won't ever achieve much.

Yeah, like my school: St. Pius X, a co-ed school in southern Jefferson County with about 380 students. Let me be the first to tell you: We were NOT a good basketball team. If they didn't beat us by 45 points I would consider it a personal victory. I don't think the kid has much potential, I just think he was a mediocre high school level player. Won't ever achieve much.

Pius won that game bro.